Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

what's that? whoops how did that get on 185 goddamnit :( :( :(

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qP8LHurwHw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Teeter posted:

Anyone in the LA area have a go-to fishmonger? I live right down the street from McCall's in Los Feliz which has great fish and scallops, though a bit pricey. What I'm mostly looking for now is access to live crab and shrimp, plus a bigger and cheaper fish selection. I just spent a few weeks in Thailand and Philippines last month plus all of last week I was in Seattle so I've been spoiled on the seafood front. It's one area that I haven't pursued much at home so I'm hoping to change that once I find a good reliable source.

Initial googling suggests Fish King in Glendale and Seafood Paradise in Rosemead so I will try to check one or both out this weekend, just curious if any LA goons have a spot to share as well.

Not sure if you've already gone to those places this past weekend but Fish King is my go-to fishmonger for sure in the area. They do have higher prices than most but their quality is superb and basically unmatched in the LA area.

That being said, if you're looking for crabs specifically, I'd actually recommend Han Kook Market in ktown which has an always ready supply of low priced, high quality dungeness. Don't buy fish there and the problem with most Korean and Chinese places is that the freshness is not exactly a strong point since the preparation tends to ignore that aspect anyways.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Made some carnitas in my slow cooker, and pork shoulder is definitely tasty as gently caress, even on its own. I tried eating it in a corn tortilla with minced shallots and lime, but the tortilla fell apart really quickly and was actually kinda crappy. Might have to disappoint my heritage and pick up some flour tortillas later :(

I wonder if you could slow cook it in BBQ sauce or HP sauce and make pulled pork out of it.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Pollyanna posted:

Made some carnitas in my slow cooker, and pork shoulder is definitely tasty as gently caress, even on its own. I tried eating it in a corn tortilla with minced shallots and lime, but the tortilla fell apart really quickly and was actually kinda crappy. Might have to disappoint my heritage and pick up some flour tortillas later :(

I wonder if you could slow cook it in BBQ sauce or HP sauce and make pulled pork out of it.

It helps to steam the corntillas and stack two for each taco, if you didn't.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

theres a will theres moe posted:

It helps to steam the corntillas and stack two for each taco, if you didn't.

Goddammit, I always forget to heat/steam them. That makes sense. :downs: I'll pick up some more pork shoulder this week.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The double stack is important to absorb the juices, too. Even steamed one tortilla will normally fall apart.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if steaming is an ordeal you can toast them in pairs in a warm pan, or microwave em. important part is warming them up

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
To microwave corn tortillas: wrap a few with a cloth/paper towel, put inside a plastic bag, tie a knot, then microwave. Time varies, try 30 seconds first. Plastic bag will inflate with steam and towel will keep the tortillas from sticking to the bag and keep them moist.

I prefer warming them in a comal, but the microwave methods works great for lunch at work.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
If you're not browning/crisping your pulled pork a la minute (you should be doing this), then I'd recommend flash-frying your tortillas on a hot pan w/ a little oil, just long enough for them to pick up a little color.
The textural combination of soft/steamed tortilla with soft/pulled pork shoulder is way less of a turn-on than slightly-crispy-pork/soft-tortilla or soft-pork/slightly-crisped-tortilla.

That having been said, I HIGHLY recommend taking the time and effort & slowly poaching your pork pieces in manteca+aromatics, then taking out the aromatics and turning up the heat til they slooooowly fry in the same fat, like Rick Bayless says to do.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah; all pulled pork is good but the best carnitas are always when you go in on a slow day and luck out, getting the carnitas that have been sitting on low heat on the back of the griddle for an hour plus

just like hash browns

Hauki
May 11, 2010

nothing like a pile of fresh corn tortillas still steaming from the griddle

my main man cuauhtemoc putting in some work with his tiny tortilla empire

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I read this thread at 5am last night and came dangerously close to driving to a taco stand to get carnitas.

thankfully I did not, but did so as soon as I woke up.

god, I hate bullshit carnitas that are basically just steamed unseasoned pork - but a few places around town do them right, like poo poo goes into the fryer when you place your order, and it comes out crusty and salty and porkfatty as hell. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. hit it with that guajillo salsa one time and you're cookin son

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
This weekend i picked up an old copy of the California fish book, and then get inspired by it to make Cantonese stir fried spiny lobster. Holy poo poo that was good. Super messy to eat but worth it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mindphlux posted:

I read this thread at 5am last night and came dangerously close to driving to a taco stand to get carnitas.

thankfully I did not, but did so as soon as I woke up.

god, I hate bullshit carnitas that are basically just steamed unseasoned pork - but a few places around town do them right, like poo poo goes into the fryer when you place your order, and it comes out crusty and salty and porkfatty as hell. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. hit it with that guajillo salsa one time and you're cookin son

I've been burned enough on lovely carnitas that I just don't order it any more unless it is especially recommended. We went to this highly recommended mexican place and everyone else absolutely loved what they ordered, and my carnitas torta was just dog-food level flavor and texture. Extremely sad. I probably should have sent it back, but everyone else was just absolutely flipping their poo poo about how good their enchiladas and other stuff was and I didn't want to be a downer.

My mom makes reasonably good carnitas in the slow cooker, and I'm just wondering how this is a thing restaurants gently caress up when my white as hell irish mother can make this with less effort or thought then she puts into her meditation coloring books.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 3, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What cut of meat do you use for carnitas? Butt/shoulder?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CommonShore posted:

What cut of meat do you use for carnitas? Butt/shoulder?

yes

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This weekend i picked up an old copy of the California fish book, and then get inspired by it to make Cantonese stir fried spiny lobster. Holy poo poo that was good. Super messy to eat but worth it.

this poo poo owns.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I've always used the Goons With Spoons carnitas recipe, basically. I've read in other threads it is "wrong" because some orange juice thing is the real way?

So I kind of amended it by marinading with an apple cider vinegar the night before and putting some cinnamon stix in the crock pot as it cooks. I don't know, people like it on gameday/Fourth of July kind of gatherings so I stick to it. I buy a 4lb BUTT for more meat, do the crisping in the same baking tray it will be stored in later. Basically as the host all I have to do is monitor the crisping, put a bowl of diced onions out with the tortilla plate and guac bowl, re-commence not giving a gently caress.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Peetown Manning posted:

I've always used the Goons With Spoons carnitas recipe, basically. I've read in other threads it is "wrong" because some orange juice thing is the real way?

I've enjoyed the Serious Eats version, which just has one orange:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/the-food-lab-how-to-make-crisp-and-juicy-carnitas-without-a-bucket-of-lard.html

I haven't tried the more recent sous vide variant yet though:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/how-to-make-sous-vide-carnitas.html

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm a loser shithead and my plans for carnitas right now is "brown pork shoulder, slow cook all day, put in tortilla". :smith: I'm unimaginative and prefer simple food I guess. I also tried browning them after pulling them out and I ended up drying them out, so I might just suck at cooking in general.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

You can store it in the fridge for at least three days before the final crisping step, or in the freezer for several months. If you freeze it in the right shape (wide and flat), you can even broil it directly from the freezer with no real loss in quality. I wish I could say the same about my cat.

quote:

The freezer is in need of some major spring (fall?) cleaning. Amongst other things, it's got: ice, various frozen dumplings (homemade, store-bought, doggie), udon and ramen, [...] my (deceased) cat, [...]

:catstare:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

quote:

Not kidding about the cat... He died a few weeks ago after 15 long years. I was at the vet, and it felt like the scene in the Big Lebowski where they were preying on my weakness at my pet having just died to wheedle some extra cash out of me. No way I was paying $800 for a private cremation or $200 for a "disposal" fee, so I took him home with me.

Of course, getting rid of a cat body is not that easy, so I've kept him in my freezer until such as time as I can drive him upstate to my sister's place and bury him. Don't worry, he's well wrapped and not contaminating anything!
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/virtual-tour-of-kenji-alt-food-lab-kitchen-slideshow.html#comments-107341

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I just bought some cheap quails but I'm not sure how to cook them. Any hot tips?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

twoday posted:

I just bought some cheap quails but I'm not sure how to cook them. Any hot tips?

Spatchcock and press flat, cook hot and quick, serve with seasonal spring veggies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pollyanna posted:

I'm a loser shithead and my plans for carnitas right now is "brown pork shoulder, slow cook all day, put in tortilla". :smith: I'm unimaginative and prefer simple food I guess. I also tried browning them after pulling them out and I ended up drying them out, so I might just suck at cooking in general.

How were you browning it? I've done lazy crockpot carnitas a bunch of times that came out nice. To brown them though I take out the meat, reserve the drippings and then pull apart the meat onto as big of a cookie sheet /etc as I have and put that directly under the broiler as close as I can manage with the oven broiling full blast. From there I just check to see how brown the tops get, if its a particularly heavy batch Ill pull the tray out, toss the meat again and brown the softer stuff underneath. It doesn't take long at all and if I think its a bit dry I'll throw a little of the drippings back in to toss with the meat before putting it all in a bowl for serving.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Made these yesterday and it was quick to assemble and came out pretty tasty. I'm counting that as a win.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made an Italian buttercream this weekend and had a bunch of egg yolks left over so I cured them for a few days then dried them and now I don't know what to do with them. "Grate on pasta" seems like a popular use but there's got to be more than that.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Grate on carpaccio/tartar
Grate onto grilled asparagus

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

there's a chinese thing where you make a sauce out of salted egg yolks and simmer tofu in it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Found via the Awful Kickstarter thread,
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/228096009/doppio-double-sided-kitchen-knife/description

Look at this STUPID drat thing.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

That might be the worst idea I've ever seen

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I was more looking for a knife that would make it easy to cut my dick off while chopping onions. Gotta think a little bigger, Kickstarter guys.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

marshalljim posted:

I was more looking for a knife that would make it easy to cut my dick off while chopping onions. Gotta think a little bigger, Kickstarter guys.

thats every knife when you cook naked

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

That might be the worst idea I've ever seen

No where near the dumbest idea I've ever seen, but it makes you wonder how much the designers of that knife actually cook.

The "garlic masher" on the back of the Guy Fieri knife is still a worse idea.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WARNING: may result in severe cuts to palms.

Jesus tittyfucking Christ. What a terrible idea. Someone already posted that they didn't think the designers cooked. It's like an engineer saw his (yes, in this case almost certainly) partner cooking using a normal knife AND a serrated one and thought "hmmm, that's inefficient. Let me make the PalmSlicer™ 2000".

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
The grips they're using in the pics and video are pretty funny

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

theres a will theres moe posted:

The grips they're using in the pics and video are pretty funny

Can't decide if it's this or the hammered finish on the blade that is my favorite part.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a fan of the JAPANESE STEEL bit.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:psyduck: just sharpen your knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm a fan of the JAPANESE STEEL bit.

I'm surprised that they didn't write about "Hattori Hanzo Steel" in their PR blurb.