Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Children of Time is great. The alien POV chapters are incredible and the rest doesn't drag.

GIANT loving SPIDERS, man!

I loved that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

apophenium posted:

What are the best spider aliens in all of scifi? I need to read more books with spider aliens.

Also gonna throw some more love in the pile for All Systems Red. It's light and fun and short.

The best unstoppable galaxy invading murder-spider aliens off-hand are in James Gunn's Transcendental.
The best friendly helpful spider aliens I can remember off hand are the spider-monkey aliens from Ken MacLeod's Engines of Light series.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PlushCow posted:

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky was a good read that I think was recommended from here, here's a blurb:

The novel grabbed me and I could not put it down. I noticed the ebook verison is going for a STEAL at $0.99 on Amazon, great deal https://www.amazon.com/Children-Time-Winner-Arthur-Clarke-ebook/dp/B00SN93AHU

The sample gives a good preview, the novel switches between the human POV and the "alien" POV chapter by chapter, and paced so well there was never any "ugh want to read the other viewpoint," it was always compelling.
This was really good (though I definitely wanted less of the humans and more of the others) so thanks for recommending it!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The best unstoppable galaxy invading murder-spider aliens off-hand are in James Gunn's Transcendental.
The best friendly helpful spider aliens I can remember off hand are the spider-monkey aliens from Ken MacLeod's Engines of Light series.

Those are good too,but yeah,the spiders from a deepness in the sky are the best.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Microcline posted:

It felt like someone narrating a game of Civilization at me while occasionally mentioning that everyone is a spider.

I kinda felt like this in A Fire Upon the Deep

the Tines were like way too human and familiar to be interesting to me

I don't like that book

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Can anyone recommend me a good Sci fi book that deals heavily with religion? The example bring Dune, but I've read it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good Sci fi book that deals heavily with religion? The example bring Dune, but I've read it.

If you don't mind some romance, I found Archangel Protocol by Lyda Morehouse to be pretty fun.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Almost anything by Roger Zelazny, but especially A Rose for Ecclesiastes, Isle of the Dead, and Lord of Light.

http://lib.ru/ZELQZNY/ARoseforEcclesiastes.txt

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Canticle for Leibowitz is a classic.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I don't know how they hold up, but Frank Herbert did a bunch of other stuff that could qualify as Sci fi that deals heavily with religion. The Godmakers is a stand alone and the Pandora Sequence (destination void, Jesus incident, The Lazarus Effect, The Ascension Factor) series come to mind also.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sibling of TB posted:

I don't know how they hold up, but Frank Herbert did a bunch of other stuff that could qualify as Sci fi that deals heavily with religion. The Godmakers is a stand alone and the Pandora Sequence (destination void, Jesus incident, The Lazarus Effect, The Ascension Factor) series come to mind also.

Arthur C. Clarke's The Nine Billion Names of God is a weird little classic

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The Sparrow, you'll never look at Big Bird the same way again

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Harlan Ellison's Deathbird Stories.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, that anime novel where the male lead has to become Princess Holy Aura sounds hilarious.

Just finished up The Last Man on Earth Club by Paul Hardy. Pretty good. It's going to stick with me for a while.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos. The religious aspects get stronger in the 3rd and 4th books, which some people don't like as much. I enjoyed the whole series and re-read it once every few years. Deals a lot with Catholicism in the distant future.

Peter F Hamilton The Nights Dawn Trilogy and The Void Trilogy. Nights Dawn has religious themes, particularly dealing with the afterlife, but doesn't deal explicitly with religious organisations very much. Void deals with a minority religion based around beliefs about what is inside an event horizon at the centre of the galaxy having their beliefs challenged when events give people a chance to take a look. There are references to the earlier Commonwealth books in Void, but you can probably get away with skipping them if you want.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Too Like The Lightning... sort of. I mean, religion and God is definitely a big deal.

Peter Watts' Echopraxia. :v: He also has a couple free shorts on the topic:
- A Word For Heathens
- Hillcrest v Velikovsky

I actually thought I had more on my kindle to jog my memory, but the other religion-adjacent stuff is fantasy-ish. Son of the Morning is fantastic, the Hundred Years War if, you know, medieval Christian theology was more-or-less accurate* and Heaven and Hell were directly involved.

* - for gnostic values of accurate :allears:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Okay, thanks for all the suggestions!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I wonder why people don't pitch Too Like The Lightning as (I refuse to spoiler tag this, it's like the first chapter) "In a ~utopian post-state society of voluntary citizenship and Enlightenment ideals, a world-famous criminal tries to protect the secret of a child who may be capable of genuine miracles."

That's a lot more compelling than the vague 'enlightenment utopia or is it gender ra ra' description I absorbed. And don't tell me if that all turns out to be false, I don't care, it's just the hook!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

I see Baen is jumping on the anime bandwagon.
http://www.baen.com/princess-holy-aura.html

I remember Ryk Spoor posting on usenet back 25 years ago and his anime levels were already pretty high.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If you want some good ol' space opera with a side of undercover spy, check out L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s The Parafaith War.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Too Like The Lightning... sort of. I mean, religion and God is definitely a big deal.

Peter Watts' Echopraxia. :v: He also has a couple free shorts on the topic:
- A Word For Heathens
- Hillcrest v Velikovsky

I actually thought I had more on my kindle to jog my memory, but the other religion-adjacent stuff is fantasy-ish. Son of the Morning is fantastic, the Hundred Years War if, you know, medieval Christian theology was more-or-less accurate* and Heaven and Hell were directly involved.

* - for gnostic values of accurate :allears:

Son of the Night is good, too. I thought it was more tonally consistent while still being very fun. Really looking forward to the third, when that drops in however many years

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
People were talking about Children of Time and bumped it up my list a bit, so I went to check prices and found it's .99 on US Kindle at the moment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fritz posted:

I remember Ryk Spoor posting on usenet back 25 years ago and his anime levels were already pretty high.

I mean, the Grand Central Arena series did feature Sun Wukong teaming up with Frieza in a major setpiece.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

I wonder why people don't pitch Too Like The Lightning as (I refuse to spoiler tag this, it's like the first chapter) "In a ~utopian post-state society of voluntary citizenship and Enlightenment ideals, a world-famous criminal tries to protect the secret of a child who may be capable of genuine miracles."

That's a lot more compelling than the vague 'enlightenment utopia or is it gender ra ra' description I absorbed. And don't tell me if that all turns out to be false, I don't care, it's just the hook!

That is a pretty great hook, but on the other hand if that's how the book had been pitched to me I probably would have been even more disappointed and bailed on it even earlier than I did. :shrug:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Book of the New Sun is about a man on a far future Earth whose narration is due to various factors limited to perceiving the world through myths and religious teaching which have undergone hundreds of thousands of years of cultural drift.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

occamsnailfile posted:

People were talking about Children of Time and bumped it up my list a bit, so I went to check prices and found it's .99 on US Kindle at the moment.
That's what got us talking about it last page! We have now come full circle.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Book of New Sun by Gene Wolfe, definitely deals with religion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neurosis posted:

Son of the Night is good, too. I thought it was more tonally consistent while still being very fun. Really looking forward to the third, when that drops in however many years
I'll just third this, these books are really good and very underrated.

Anyhow, Richard Paul Russo's Unto Leviathan/Ship of Fools has a lot of religious subtext, as well as being a really good space opera horror thingy.

And from the completely opposite side of the spectrum, how about Small Gods by Terry Pratchett?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Religion in older scifi/fantasy books tends to be the holdout fortresses of advanced or forgotten technologies.
These advanced technologies/forgotten technologies, suitably disguised, are how the quasi-religous entity enforces their true mission of being:
(select at least one, multiple choices are allowed....civilization stasis & civilization up-lifters are mutually exclusive and cannot be selected by the same group)
.......(unless there is a secret faction within the parent entity working against the goals of the parent entity).

-secret benevolent guardians
-evil overlords
-civilization up-lifters from outer space/the old times
-pawns of re-awakening evil powers/robofiends/insectile hordes
-technology maintenance procedures
-civilization stasis (this is a favorite go2 one for generation spaceship stories)
-Wizards! aka Mary Sue Wildcard option

Go to the scifi/fantasy paperbacks section of a decently sized used bookstore. Randomly grab 10 paperbacks out of the scifi/fantasy paperbacks section.
At least 4 of the 10 randomly selected scifi paperbacks will be about religion in alt-scifi setting.
Granted most of those randomly selected books won't be good, but hey it's like fishing.
Just make sure to do this experiment at a used bookstore that sells paperbacks for $1.50 and under.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Just make sure to do this experiment at a used bookstore that sells paperbacks for $1.50 and under.

Oh man, if you're buying used sci-fi/fantasy from the 1.50$ and cheaper section you're guaranteed to get the trash. In the two used bookstores I've frequented all the good stuff was 4$ or higher depending on quality and condition.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
gotta find that used book shop owned by a crank who never discovered price checking online. small towns and aged populations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh man, if you're buying used sci-fi/fantasy from the 1.50$ and cheaper section you're guaranteed to get the trash. In the two used bookstores I've frequented all the good stuff was 4$ or higher depending on quality and condition.

Find better high-throughput used bookstores my friend(hint: they tend to set universal prices on books).
Once you find a good high-throughput used bookstore you'll be scoffing at paying $4.

Book Barn Niantic CT
4 physical sites spread out over 3/4 of a mile(8 buildings + various sheds/tents/carts) -all crammed with books.
Any paperback $1
Tradepaperbacks $4
Hardcovers $4 & up

Signed & first edition mint books are priced higher, usually. Sometimes you get lucky.
Like mint first edition paperback war of the newts for $1 lucky. No computerized inventory system in place there(the computer system & internet hookups would cost more than some of the buildings-seriously), but do have a goat petting farm. Very busy place, they finished borg-consuming the 4th store location late last year.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 2, 2018

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Some people have said Book of the New Sun but I would say Wolfe's series that's even more about religion is Book of the Long Sun

It is explicitly about "a good man in a bad religion"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

C.M. Kruger posted:

I see Baen is jumping on the anime bandwagon.
http://www.baen.com/princess-holy-aura.html
lol "jumping on" you've clearly never read claws that catch

"What Is! Going On!" the CO shouted, waving his arms in the air dramatically. He was wearing a purple and orange jumpsuit that was skin tight and revealed that he'd apparently gained about thirty percent in body mass, was now about seven feet tall and looked like the Terminator, complete with one eye that had been replaced by a red-glowing laser emitter. "This is! Unacceptable! Completely unacceptable! This cannot be accepted!"

The wardroom now had orange walls and a screen on the back bulkhead that showed a mass of trajectories that appeared to have nothing to do with anything.

"As I was (puff, puff) saying," Weaver replied, calmly, leaning one patch-covered elbow on the edge of the table. "The first theory (puff, puff) that must be entertained (puff, pause, ponder, puff) is that we are experiencing a mass hallucination . . ."

"All I want to know!" the CO barked, his laser emitter shining in Weaver's eyes, "Is How! We Are Going! To Stop this!"

"I would recommend," (puff, puff . . . pause . . . ruminate . . . puff . . .) "that we extract the ship from the field (puff, puff) and investigate the results . . . (puff.)"

"Well, do it fast!" Miriam snapped from the hatch. "I can't find anything to wear but these stupid school-girl outfits!"

The linguist was astride what looked like a white saber-toothed tiger. She was wearing a complete school-girl outfit from the saddle-loafer flats to the plain blue tie. If anything, compared to most of her wardrobe it was muted. The worst part, though, were her . . .

"What has occurred to your eyes, Miss Moon?" Bill asked, puffing politely.

"I don't know!" Miriam shrilled, rolling eyes that took up most of her face around the room. "The weird part is, I can't get contacts in them but I still can see normally! I should be blind as a bat. Tee-hee!" she added, clapping her hands over her mouth. "Oh, God, did I just giggle?"

"And now the effect is explained . . ." Weaver said, leaning one elbow on his station chair and taking a puff off his pipe while rotating his whole body to look at the overhead. "We have entered . . . the anime zone!"

(then they defeat the bad aliens with the power of rock)

edit to add baen authors' favourite band:

"What the hell?" Prael said as the Blade screamed in at almost four thousand times the speed of light. "What in the hell is that noise?"

"That would be the song 'Return' by the band Crüxshadows, sir," the COB said. "A Goth band based in Tallahassee, Florida, it first hit the major charts with the song 'Sophia' in—"

"Okay, COB, if you're so smart," the CO snapped. "Explain to me how we're hearing it in space!"

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 2, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

Some people have said Book of the New Sun but I would say Wolfe's series that's even more about religion is Book of the Long Sun

It is explicitly about "a good man in a bad religion"
It is nowhere near as enjoyable, though; and most of it is setup for Book of the Short Sun which ties them all together so it might be better to start at the beginning.
To be fair you can find some religion in most of Wolfe. Wizard Knight has the dynamic of denizes on worlds above being gods for the worlds below, for example, and uses it to sort of tie Nordic myth and Christianity into a rather messy knot.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 2, 2018

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

papa horny michael posted:

gotta find that used book shop owned by a crank who never discovered price checking online.
Bernard Black?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Cruxshadows? I don't even have to look it up to know it's a Ringo book

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Cruxshadows? I don't even have to look it up to know it's a Ringo book

Oh. John Ringo? No. :grin:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Anyone have a hot take on Tanith Lee? Someone just described Death’s Master to me in a way that makes it sound totally rockin’

anilEhilated posted:

It is nowhere near as enjoyable, though; and most of it is setup for Book of the Short Sun which ties them all together so it might be better to start at the beginning.
To be fair you can find some religion in most of Wolfe. Wizard Knight has the dynamic of denizes on worlds above being gods for the worlds below, for example, and uses it to sort of tie Nordic myth and Christianity into a rather messy knot.

Latro books are where to go if you want Wolfe + religion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

For anybody wondering about the changes made for the Altered Carbon show, it sticks pretty close to the book for the first 5 episodes, makes some divergences in episode 6, and then episode 7 it just throws the book out the window and does some really stupid changes.

The action scenes are pretty rad throughout, though so it's got that going for it.