Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Duodecimal posted:

Her, and no. I think we were setting up a hitpoint counter example or something to demonstrate loops or some other code pattern.

It was a QBasic class in mid-90s Florida.

drat thats cool

my computer lab teach just explained defragging and showed screenshots of it on a projector while i wrote bad adventure games (also in some kind of early 90s dos basic :hfive:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

he did a little too much LDS in the 60s and wound up a bigot

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

A bunch of goons discovered that they're getting banner ads despite having paid for No Ads

Promoted Pawn posted:

I seem to be getting ads attached to the bottom of the screen despite having “no ads” active. I guess something went wrong? It just started happening today.

Ariong posted:

The first time I got one it was

(picture of big pot of water with banana slices floating on top)
US Doctor: This is like a pressure washer for your insides
Gundry MD

And I thought it was a joke.

Fatkraken posted:

oh good it's not just me.

Chinatown posted:

I immediately ran a malware scan. :sigh:

sweet thursday posted:

You all bought No, Ads

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

McGavin posted:

Maybe OtterWatch should consider helping instead of just watching.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Maybe he otter watch his step

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Krankenstyle posted:

It's Germanic and means corpse.

see, i'm right

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I thought it was about OSC, was wrong, and am somewhat glad I never fell downthe rabbit hole of all of the SciFi authors

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CannonFodder posted:

I thought it was about OSC, was wrong, and am somewhat glad I never fell downthe rabbit hole of all of the SciFi authors

pro tip: non-genre authors are sex weirds too

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Imbibe any artist's work in totality-- or near totality-- and you will eventually find out what turns them on, or at least what kink mood they were in during their prime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
James Joyce letters, that is all.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

:gas:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My dearest :ohno:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PathAsc posted:

"Knowledge and aptitude are things you should have to pay for!" I scream as I wonder why the world is in constant downturn and recession. "just pay your bills" I continue, as I draw social security.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I never understood why people think writers write about their own kinks. People can imagine things that are sexual in nature without actually wishing to do it themselves, and serious writers will research things they need in their books. It doesn't mean it's jerk off material. If anything writing about your personal sexual predilections seems pretty worthless and I wouldn't expect most people to go for it. JJ letters are different obviously because they were personal and not meant to be published.

e: If anything those letters make my position firmer because I seriously challenge you to find any kind of fart-fiending in any of his published works.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
when the same weird sex things continually come up through their entire body of work (see Anthony, Piers) one starts to think that maybe those things might be things they actually believe

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Thinking really hard about the person with 1,000 deviantart submissions with college phd thesis-length descriptions of giant barefooted stock female poser models crushing fully clothed stock male poser models isn't doing/did it one-handed

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nurge posted:

I never understood why people think writers write about their own kinks. People can imagine things that are sexual in nature without actually wishing to do it themselves, and serious writers will research things they need in their books. It doesn't mean it's jerk off material. If anything writing about your personal sexual predilections seems pretty worthless and I wouldn't expect most people to go for it. JJ letters are different obviously because they were personal and not meant to be published.

e: If anything those letters make my position firmer because I seriously challenge you to find any kind of fart-fiending in any of his published works.

joyce is kinda the exception to prove the rule, keeping the poopy fart stuff in private letters shows an amazing restraint.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

joyce is kinda the exception to prove the rule, keeping the poopy fart stuff in private letters shows an amazing restraint.

Holding it in until just the right moment is part of the kink.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Remember Mad Mike Hughes, the flat Earth rocket guy who built his rockets out of RV parts?

His latest didn't go so well

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner I guess :(

Dillbag posted:

He was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when gravity began to take hold.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wow

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Can't find it now but someone in a thread somewhere also said

mysterious goon posted:

Can't stop now, it's flat country

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Too many launches and I'm starting to get an attraction.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

He wanted to see if heaven is flat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TheKennedys posted:

when the same weird sex things continually come up through their entire body of work (see Anthony, Piers) one starts to think that maybe those things might be things they actually believe

Yeah, that was quite the experience in The Magicians (think Harry Potter but edgy). At one point, all the characters are magically transformed into foxes, and one thing that happens is a big old fox orgy because they're all instinct and no brain in that shape. Pretty weird, but I figured it's just some set-up to illustrate the weirdness of magic transformations or something.

And then later on one of the protagonists ends up in a cult that accidentally summons a demon. A demon that just so happens to be an anthropomorphic fox. An anthropomorphic fox demon that ends up graphically raping the protagonist. At that point I started to sense a pattern and noped right out of there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Getting traumatizing flashbacks to that one part at the end of Stephen King's It

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Getting traumatizing flashbacks to that one part at the end of Stephen King's It

Realising that adulthood is endlessly trying to recapture the magic, freedom and infinite possibilities that you felt as a child as you forget all your friends and stumble towards infirmity, illness and death?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I guess I was like 13 when I read it and remember thinking "why are they loving what is this?"

I wasn't traumatized just baffled.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:nsavince:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

bookreaders usually get to be smug towards movie/tv watchers but in the case of It we just get to be jealous that they were able to enjoy a version of the story that didn't contain a preteen sewer orgy

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Magical child sewer orgy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Magical child sewer orgy.

Mods? Name change pl.... wait never mind.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s lots of sexual material related to the kids in that book but the group scene is the most explicit and uncomfortable scene once you get past the dozens of gruesome brutal child murders in the pages before it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flavius Aetass posted:

the five-head that launched a thousand drones

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

added up, there's a double digit headcount in that photo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cock hero flux posted:

bookreaders usually get to be smug towards movie/tv watchers but in the case of It we just get to be jealous that they were able to enjoy a version of the story that didn't contain a preteen sewer orgy

King may be a solid exception to the rule that the books are better than the movie. His books are an absolute slog where nothing happens in the first 100 pages. A decent screenwriter cuts it all down to a solid 90-120 minutes of good times.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

King may be a solid exception to the rule that the books are better than the movie. His books are an absolute slog where nothing happens in the first 100 pages. A decent screenwriter cuts it all down to a solid 90-120 minutes of good times.

Chuck Palahniuk is another one whose books aren't as good as the movie. Even he said he wished he could write a book as good as the Fight Club movie.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
The best ever book/movie match is "Dark Star". The film came first and the book is pretty much a mirror of the movie with filigreed bits in the paragraphs. Both are entertaining as heck and well worth the bother to both watch and read at least once.

If you're unfamiliar, then I feel a slight sense of pity for you. Cheesy sci-fi, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy.

Talby was counting stars again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pickled Tink posted:

Hey, let's not be hasty here. He definitively proved the Splat Earth theory.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The world building was the best part of Under the Dome.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arcsquad12 posted:

I watched Who Watches the Watchers. Really good episode.

So it's you then?

Finally, we found the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chichevache posted:

The world building was the best part of Under the Dome.

Not quite. The world building was great but the actual best part is the psychedelic assault on the radio station by the cops.