Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

When you buy the "Intro Pack" you can make a baby whale splash in the verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Seeing the world through the same eyes as these people would be kind of frightening.

It would likely be a comforting, simple place where nothing goes wrong and bad things are what happens to other people.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

It seems like sometimes they are working on 3.0 and 2.6 at the same time? I don't get that poo poo at all.

No they just keep saying that

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Raskolnikov posted:

I think you need to gently caress off.

you are a miserable, humorless piece of poo poo imo lol

this isn't sexism btw, if you were an amorphous, genderless blob you'd still suck at typing things that people give a poo poo about

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

this isn't sexism btw, if you were an amorphous, genderless blob you'd still suck at typing things that people give a poo poo about

Excuse me marching powder. Who do you have for cruz/garbrandt. My money is on cruz.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Marching Powder posted:

Turn your monitor on.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Raskolnikov posted:

Thank you.
I think you need to gently caress off.

Nice meltdown :grin:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The growing trend of negativity towards this game I've invested too much money into in regards to the complete lack of progress is startling. Come on guys. Talk about all the new ships we can buy and Grim Hex. These things easily have 10,000 hours of potential play time. Sometimes I just log in to go look at the stars and be immersed. Or look at the texture of asteroids for easily 22 hours at a time.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I think it's awesome that all the SA mods are coming to hang out in this thread, if for no other reason than they'll be able to react very quickly the next time Derek does something insane.

However I also happen to think they have been surprisingly chill and good.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Seeing the world through the same eyes as these people would be kind of frightening.

Maybe in this case, ignorance is bliss?

On the other hand, imagine seeing the world through the eyes of Captain B'tak.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Marching Powder posted:

That's cool, but what's your favorite recipe?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Mirificus posted:

Assuming I accurately remember which one B'Tak is:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It seems like sometimes they are working on 3.0 and 2.6 at the same time? I don't get that poo poo at all.

3.0 is being worked on by the germans while austin is doing 2.6 I think. Thats going to be interesting when they have to merge the forks without everything blowing up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mirificus posted:

Maybe in this case, ignorance is bliss?

I'm sure he keeps them closed most of the time to avoid seeing something something imposing or scary. You know, like a yield sign or a mailman or maybe even a bee! Anything that might force its will on him or make him feel grief.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes. I accidentally left him with buttons because just making someone not a mod doesn't actually make them not able to do mod actions unless you then go into the forum settings. I forgot that last step, because I've only removed like one other mod who stepped down. Then someone pointed out that Derek still had a star and I was surprised. I computer smart.

Can you please retard out of this forum? Your ruining it and making people leave SA forever because they are afraid they might catch whatever you have. It seems to be as contagious as spending money on star citizen.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Something I've always wondered when they show themselves dragging the supposed sun around in their videos to change the time of day on a planet: they say this is a real sun so does that mean if another camera was out in space would they see this massive sun model being dragged around at like millions of mph? From how responsive it is in the editor I can't see how it's not just a little light that looks like a distant sun but that's not what they claim right?

There are two things you are getting mixed up, moving the star around and the light from the star affecting planets.

Would you see the star move in the editor from a second camera? Maybe, if you had two cameras set up within the same editor. No, if the second camera is running on a different editor/computer. You have to remember that the star is an object with a set of co-ordinates, saved in a database. Say there is a version 1 of the program. Everyone downloads a copy, makes local changes, then sends them back to the server. The server receives everyone's edits to version 1, and makes a version 2. Then everyone downloads version 2, and the cycle repeats. Nobody sees anyone else's edits to version 1 until version 2 is released. Moving the star in the editor is just a visual aid to assist the designer.

Now for the scenario of light from a star affecting the lighting of a planet. This doesn't happen because game engines do not simulate real life physics. Everything about a game engine is faked since scientific simulations take forever to run on supercomputers. A game engine runs on procedures like, 'every minute: rotate planet a bit, calculate position relative to the star, and adjust the time of day variable'. So when they claim that they are simulating light from a star, they mean that they are using a programming trick to give the appearance of simulating light from a star. This is normal, and programmers take great pride in how well their programming tricks function. You are making the same mistake as a Citizen by assuming that they are literally simulating light from a star and aren't faking it. Look at how every other game in history fakes stuff, and assume that Star Citizen is doing the same.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wrecked Angle posted:

I know you're looking at that list and thinking 'wow, there's literally thousands of hours entertainment there' and you'd be right. However, have you considered how many hours of entertainment you could get from owning your very own Constellation Aquila? Not only is it everything you need to get around this star system, but is also fully equipped to take you to the next!*

*Next system not yet available. Please refer to our frequently updated timelines for estimated delay status.

Guess what? The constellation Aquila is not available either. Please refer to our frequently updated timelines for estimated delay status.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

Can you please retard out of this forum? Your ruining it and making people leave SA forever because they are afraid they might catch whatever you have. It seems to be as contagious as spending money on star citizen.

Thread ruined. See you all on reddit where jokes aren't banned! :shrug:

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Skellybones posted:

At CIG, development progress slows the more work is completed. They can only ever approach a milestone, never reach it. Conversely, work speeds up the further away from any sort of goal or product they get.

The Robert Space Theory of Generic Rationalisations.

Also refer to Sandi's Box. All game elements are both on time and complete while simultaneously in development until release.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Marching Powder posted:

Uh-oh Raskolnikov, the eye of Sauron has noticed you!

(BTW, I bet all amorphous blobs have trouble typing.)

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

They are. But it isn't a 3.0 patch per se. Someone is loving around with grabby hands in their own sandbox, someone else is loving around with procedural planets and eventually all of that poo poo will get folded into a 3.0 patch. It is how they can work on ships for years without regard to patch cycles (and then the ship comes out, and needs to be refactored because the game completed changed during the ship's construction).

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 27, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Thread ruined. See you all on reddit where jokes aren't banned! :shrug:

You are the current best poster and your blue star is awesome and good. Much better than Star Citizen backers red stars.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is that person our idiot king cuz theyre a big idiot lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
*opens lid*
yep, still doxxing and masturbating to cgi calendars
*closes lid*

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

*opens lid*
*closes lid*

You should be more careful about doxxing, a lot of mods read this thread

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Skellybones posted:

You should be more careful about doxxing, a lot of mods read this thread
We're trying to figure out how to apply for our refunds.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ArfJason posted:

*opens lid*
*closes lid*

Masturbating to CIG calendars, thank you. I don't crank it to just any old jpegs.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm sure if you ask Uncle Derek he will tell you to gently caress right off.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here again in a couple hours when I'm on break. No tips please, my comedy is free and bad.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ZenMaster posted:

I have seen the emails from Podesta. They don't prove anything but man are those pizza and pasta references creepy. Obviously code but no idea for what.

Yeah, pretty creepy stuff to be sure.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason posted:

*opens lid*
*closes lid*

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

No refunds, no retreat, only way out is forwards and through the other side

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Masturbating to CIG calendars, thank you. I don't crank it to just any old jpegs.

Question is why anyone would want to open the lid to reddit, other than in some very risky bid to get time off for medical reasons or to build support for some kind of insanity plea.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So... goatse was hiding people inside his anus? Or this an interpretation of something?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the cool man that posts personal information online: Yeah, pretty creepy stuff to be sure.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

you are truly doing god's work arf

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Okay, hypothetical question: if Chris and Sandi just stopped coming to work forever and told Chris' second-in-command to get on with things, when would they have 2.6 done?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:woop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Something I've always wondered when they show themselves dragging the supposed sun around in their videos to change the time of day on a planet: they say this is a real sun so does that mean if another camera was out in space would they see this massive sun model being dragged around at like millions of mph? From how responsive it is in the editor I can't see how it's not just a little light that looks like a distant sun but that's not what they claim right?

It's just a light source. And since it's a 3D object, it can be moved around the scene. In the game, it will be at a fixed position. Rudimentary stuff, really.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ArfJason posted:

the cool man that posts personal information online: Yeah, pretty creepy stuff to be sure.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tokamak posted:

you are truly doing god's work arf

I always imagined God's trolling to be more of a high-effort and vaguely topical nature, so if that's the job arf is supposed to be doing, he's not exactly going to shave off any purgatory time with what he's producing.

• Locked thread