Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

SnowblindFatal posted:

I find it amusing to imagine the nerd who gets irrationally angry about this.

The sort who's had to support that stupid poo poo just so that people can say it runs on a Casio wristwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Rememberimg when someone got banned from SA when Lowtax ran the data and found out one person only accessed the forums from WebTV and he thought it was creepy

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that sounds incredible

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

1337JiveTurkey posted:

That's spoiler free. Here's the 900 line list of changes on GitHub:

https://github.com/NetHack/NetHack/blob/NetHack-3.6.0/doc/fixes36.1

Also big is that they're dropping support for many older operating systems and architectures that were kept as a sense of quirky pride that it would run on anything but complicated testing and reliability in a codebase that's already hard to test. We're talking about crap like BeOS, Windows CE, Mac Classic, Amiga, RiscOS, DEC VAX, OS/2 and 16-bit MS-DOS with segmented memory. Just let them die already.

You're misreading the relevant announcement. They're saying those particular ports need maintainers who will be willing to handle them going forward, which some already have unofficially.

When I went to check, the last time they bothered to provide binaries for any of those platforms seems to have been for 3.4.3, which was back in 2003. 3.6 and all the other versions since the nethack team came back in 2015 don't seem to have official binaries for those things in the first place.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

All this talk about FPS roguelikes and no one mentions Heavy Bullets smdh

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
EDIT: Turns out Mothergunship may not even be an FPS-Roguelite, so disregard!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I thought heavy bullets looked neat but was boring in practice

it's been actual years though so I might feel differently

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
heavy bullets is stretches of slow, tense exploration broken up by things attacking you demanding an instant response. i only got to the second level once and i want to like it but i feel like im not equipped w the reflexes and precision to play the game

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Fayez Butts posted:

All this talk about FPS roguelikes and no one mentions Heavy Bullets smdh

I love heavy bullets, but I'm kinda surprised when and if I meet someone else who does.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Tollymain posted:

heavy bullets is stretches of slow, tense exploration broken up by things attacking you demanding an instant response. i only got to the second level once and i want to like it but i feel like im not equipped w the reflexes and precision to play the game

Nah, later levels get pretty fuckin hardcore. With things attacking you every few steps, and the things get meaner and meaner. I want to like it but I, also, suck too much.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Goblin camp gives a good survivability boost to new characters with free gear + rocks to throw. Borderland settlement is free pre-crowns pretty much and has a potion shop. The random dungeons and Ice Queen Domain help make the jump up to ToEF not a loving brick wall (get this--ToEF is now a thing people wind up doing before water temple because it's Just That Easy Now). The Rolf Questline is very involved and extremely difficulty at the end but parts of it will get you good weapon + shield, and if you don't care about it you can use parts of it to easily satisfy the demented ratling and not have to give up any useful artifacts instead. Merchant's guild is extremely dangerous to try to clear but you get 4 artifacts if you do. The heavenly area is very dangerous but hey its part of Kherab's third quest (a.k.a. not worth it, also you have to be The Worst Alignment for it to appear). Antediluvian jungle is so obscure and not useful that you probably won't bother generating it.

The Ultimate Dungeon is by its nature not useful to someone who hasn't won, since it's post-gate closing content but it exists and buddy I hope you like extremely high level molochs and balors.

Couple pages back, but what am I missing with the borderland town that's basically free pre crowning?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Need to let like 8k turns pass before it pops into existence

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Black August posted:

Need to let like 8k turns pass before it pops into existence

Yeah, I know it takes a bit to show up, but what's the pre-crowning bit? Just having the guaranteed altar there, or...?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wolfechu posted:

Yeah, I know it takes a bit to show up, but what's the pre-crowning bit? Just having the guaranteed altar there, or...?

Ya see that there altar

Ya see all dem peoples, just... walkin’ around?

:q:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Black August posted:

Ya see that there altar

Ya see all dem peoples, just... walkin’ around?

:q:

Ohhhh.... See, I'm not thinking laterally enough.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

Ohhhh.... See, I'm not thinking laterally enough.

yep, basically the altar and the folks are noooot aligned. sac 1 gold on the altar until you convert and the go to town saccing all the mercenaries, forever, and ever. amen.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

That's wonderfully horrifying, given it's a lawful altar, and the priest there is going to stand and watch you sacrifice a whole town to the gods, one by one.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
adom gods are stupid pricks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As long as they're sacrificed in a nice orderly manner that's all that counts

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Steam Marines 2 is in Alpha.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

fishmech posted:

You're misreading the relevant announcement. They're saying those particular ports need maintainers who will be willing to handle them going forward, which some already have unofficially.

I went to the Nethack site to read the full announcement, and I think this other bit is actually the best part:

quote:

Starting with the next major release, we will be dropping support for most K&R and pre-ANSI C features [...]. Starting with the next major release, we will start using ANSI C features; which ones have yet to be determined. If you are actively running NetHack on a system that cannot handle full ANSI C, please let us know some details and we _might_ be able to accommodate you.

For you non-programmers, Nethack is written in a programming language called "C", and "ANSI C" is a specification made by the ANSI organization to try and standardize the language. So the Nethack team are going to remove the bits of code that use programming language features which only exist in old versions of C that predate the ANSI standards. The first version of ANSI C is from 1989 :D

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 30, 2018

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

How is Steam Marines 1? I've kept eyeing it but never pulled the trigger. It LOOKS like it's up my alley...

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Prism posted:

How is Steam Marines 1? I've kept eyeing it but never pulled the trigger. It LOOKS like it's up my alley...

I only played like 40 minutes, but found it abysmal.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Thank you thread, for introducing me to Card Quest. It may annihilate my phone's battery, but it's fun as hell and really nails the class identities really well.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ahhh I can't wait for it to come to iOS, I think when it launched on Android they said it was "coming soon" but if there's been any word since I haven't heard it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The newest Hearthstone expansion (Witchwood) has added a new roguey single-player mode that is similar to the one they put out for the last expansion (Kobolds). It's totally free with your (free) account, and is a neat twist on the previous incarnation. The mode in Kobolds has you start out with one of the 9 standard classes from Hearthstone, but the new version has 4 classes that combine cards from more than 1 regular class, and the "hero power" of these 4 classes (an ability that you can use each turn) are all non-standard and very unique.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The newest Hearthstone expansion (Witchwood) has added a new roguey single-player mode that is similar to the one they put out for the last expansion (Kobolds). It's totally free with your (free) account, and is a neat twist on the previous incarnation. The mode in Kobolds has you start out with one of the 9 standard classes from Hearthstone, but the new version has 4 classes that combine cards from more than 1 regular class, and the "hero power" of these 4 classes (an ability that you can use each turn) are all non-standard and very unique.

Even though it's 100% free normally I would pay $5-$10 for a download of Hearthstone for my phone that only included Dungeon Run and the new mode and was like 700 mb instead of being 3 gigs. I wanna play but I have an older phone and just can't swing the memory requirement honestly

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah unfortunately Hearthstone is pretty bad on phones, at least in my experience. you have to install the entire fat client worth several gigs, and it runs at a worse framerate than even my cheapo business laptop from several years ago. it runs very smoothly on "real" computers though :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mines smooth but i'm the idiot who bought a razer phone.

(I actually don't regret it a bit, cost's the same as my old contract but i get 30 gb of data on top of it)

E: Oh hey i just got the speed run achieve for hoplite

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 1, 2018

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zarick posted:

Thank you thread, for introducing me to Card Quest. It may annihilate my phone's battery, but it's fun as hell and really nails the class identities really well.

Same, and same. The developers really put in a lot of work to make the different classes mechanically distinct.

Rogue and Wizard are my favorites, Ranger is fun for chainbreaking variety, but I can't quite wrap my head around the Fighter's need to block to gain tactics in the moment. I understand it, but my instinct when playing is to deny enemies' actions and not let them attack.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I like the Fighter most, but Damage on Contact is annoying as hell. I frequently end up just cycling through my deck for a few turns fishing for Tactical Strike to kill this one otherwise-harmless festering zombie. I wish it turned off under some condition the way Dodge turns off when they're stunned, or that the fighter had like one more card that ignored it.

megane fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 1, 2018

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah unfortunately Hearthstone is pretty bad on phones, at least in my experience. you have to install the entire fat client worth several gigs, and it runs at a worse framerate than even my cheapo business laptop from several years ago. it runs very smoothly on "real" computers though :v:

It's designed by the dream quest guy iirc. I wonder how many times he had to be reminded that you can't be that mean to the blizzard playerbase.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Peter Whalen wasn't lead designer on the single player mode in this expansion or the other but the dev team all confirmed they took heavy inspiration from Dream Quest. Definitely one of the coolest things they've added to Hearthstone and it's neat that it's completely 100% free and not tied to the game's monetization in any way

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It's a bit funny they didn't put him in charge of the mode since they probably spent every coffee break picking his brain for ideas :)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Jesus Catacomb Kids is insanely hard, even for a roguelike.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Harminoff posted:

Jesus Catacomb Kids is insanely hard, even for a roguelike.

i actually forgot i had this until now, and i'm glad to see it's still getting updates

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I played the hell out of it like a year ago, and managed to beat the available content maybe once in that time. Where "beat" means "beat a boss that's intentionally too difficult for where it is in the game, and then the game explicitly tells you "that was supposed to kill you, welp, have fun 'cause there's nothing new from here on"".

From what I recall, there's lots of ways to make fatal accidents, and a lot of tools you can potentially make use of in terms of gear, spells, consumables, and miscellaneous dungeon traps and effects. You can throw potions at enemies to ID them, eat a bunch of green slimes to get super-bouncy powers, make popcorn (very useful for healing) by putting corn kernels near torches, get dismembered and bleed out, and a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten. There's a surprisingly large number of NetHack-style item interactions in the game, is basically what I'm getting at. But since it's an action game instead of a traditional top-down turn-based game, the interactions feel a lot more natural -- you don't need to remember the #dip command or whatever, you just drop your bottle into a pond and now you have a potion of water (not that I know of any use for them, but you can do it!).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really enjoy the sort of granular detail it has in all its little interactions, kind of like someone taking a goofy little physics simulation along the lines of cortex command and building a roguelike platformer around it. the small poo poo, like being able to disrupt crusher traps with a slime ball left underneath it gumming it up, adds a lot of character.

also throwing a poisonous mushroom into a pool of water to kill the fish in it was great.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, it's a cool-rear end game, but it updates really slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

apparently at some point they added a tinker class that starts with a flying robot buddy and this is neat as hell. kinda fun to occasionally need to piece it together manually by picking up its parts and jamming them together. also you can assume direct control of it and use it to do weird stuff in your stead, along with set it to attack monsters.