Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm rusty on ENT stuff, but I think brain murder via sinus infection is really really rare. You're fine. Probably :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It almost makes it worse. 999/1000 you're fine, but pull out one nose hair and get unlucky and welp.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pvt.Scott posted:

Stop cramming your tongue up people’s noses when you make out with them. Problem solved.

Can I still lick their eyeball?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You can lick your friends, and you can lick your eyeballs, but you can't lick your friend's eyeballs

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

xtal posted:

and you can lick your eyeballs

:stare: Now that’s a party trick

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
“About two months before Utah college student MacKenzie Lueck went missing, the man now suspected of her murder asked a local contractor to build a soundproof room in his home with hooks drilled into concrete walls and a secret entrance with [an electronic thumbprint] lock, the contractor claims.

‘Honestly? I don’t know what he wanted it for,’ contractor Brian Wolf told ABC News’ Salt Lake City affiliate KTVX of suspect Ayoola Ajayi, 31.

‘But my gut was not normal. I mean, who needs a room with a thumb locks and hooks? In my opinion it was for something bad.’

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Busket Posket posted:

“About two months before Utah college student MacKenzie Lueck went missing, the man now suspected of her murder asked a local contractor to build a soundproof room in his home with hooks drilled into concrete walls and a secret entrance with [an electronic thumbprint] lock, the contractor claims.

‘Honestly? I don’t know what he wanted it for,’ contractor Brian Wolf told ABC News’ Salt Lake City affiliate KTVX of suspect Ayoola Ajayi, 31.

‘But my gut was not normal. I mean, who needs a room with a thumb locks and hooks? In my opinion it was for something bad.’

One of the most terrifying things about Ariel Castro and guys like this is how many of them never get caught? There could be dozens or even hundreds of women who are held captive right now and no one will ever know about them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Busket Posket posted:

I feel like there should be a hotline for reporting murder rooms if you think you’ve been contracted to build one. I mean, pre-crime and all, but this seems like it should have been a red flag of some kind.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Your Gay Uncle posted:

One of the most terrifying things about Ariel Castro and guys like this is how many of them never get caught? There could be dozens or even hundreds of women who are held captive right now and no one will ever know about them.

Immediately my thoughts. The idea of that being your entire life...

...gently caress, idk, just "no" I guess

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It's thousands or tens of thousands.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pick posted:

It's thousands or tens of thousands.

Yea, unfortunately this is probably the correct answer given the size of this country.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

I feel like there should be a hotline for reporting murder rooms if you think you’ve been contracted to build one. I mean, pre-crime and all, but this seems like it should have been a red flag of some kind.

There are anonymous tip lines. The FBI has a less anonymous line where you can give them a tip and most local police departments do as well. They may or may not actually do anything but you can call the authorities and go "look, I don't have any proof of any wrongdoing but this thing makes me really loving suspicious."

Granted in the case of locked, soundproof rooms like that it might not be a murder room and might just be a sound studio. I've met musicians that have found buildings with old vaults that predate thumb locks but have other heavy duty locks as well as thick walls and soundproofing. That makes a really good recording studio. Proper hardware isn't exactly cheap so it can be easy to get security-minded about it.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/oregons-tsunami-risk-between-the-devil-and-the-deep-blue-sea

Congrats Oregon.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Busket Posket posted:

This seems incredibly relevant to post in response
https://youtu.be/iQdDRrcAOjA

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Well, that bill is a wash.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Granted in the case of locked, soundproof rooms like that it might not be a murder room and might just be a sound studio. I've met musicians that have found buildings with old vaults that predate thumb locks but have other heavy duty locks as well as thick walls and soundproofing. That makes a really good recording studio. Proper hardware isn't exactly cheap so it can be easy to get security-minded about it.
The hooks would make them raise their eyebrows though, surely?

Although it could always just be consensual kinksters who don't want the neighbors to hear their sex dungeon noises.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pookel posted:

The hooks would make them raise their eyebrows though, surely?

Although it could always just be consensual kinksters who don't want the neighbors to hear their sex dungeon noises.

I think the key thing is that clearly the guy was designing the room to secretly keep something in it, it wasn't a room that could've even been used for any type of real activity like recording or kinky sex stuff. The size is important, the article says it was about the size of a walk-in closet. So you can't really do anything in there other than store stuff, and so what would you need to store that requires soundproofing and hooks set into the walls with concrete?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Basebf555 posted:

I think the key thing is that clearly the guy was designing the room to secretly keep something in it, it wasn't a room that could've even been used for any type of real activity like recording or kinky sex stuff. The size is important, the article says it was about the size of a walk-in closet. So you can't really do anything in there other than store stuff, and so what would you need to store that requires soundproofing and hooks set into the walls with concrete?
I mean, a small room with inset hooks in the walls is exactly what some people need for kinky activities, though. I'm not saying it seems harmless, just that it's not enough to prove someone's planning to murder anyone, because it's easily explained away with "we're into some weird poo poo and REALLY don't want anyone walking in on us."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kinksters like that are going to do something hosed up eventually, they're mentally ill and can go to hell.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's just that criminals are dumb, but I think if I was a criminal, I wouldn't ask a whole team of people to build my crime scenes, according to documented blue prints and other stuff. That's why they killed everyone who knew the secret rooms in the Red Keep!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Maybe it's all so we'll talk about the weird room and not go looking for the ACTUAL CRIMES going on! :tinfoil:

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe it's all so we'll talk about the weird room and not go looking for the ACTUAL CRIMES going on! :tinfoil:

Everything is a distraction from my pet issue. Wake up sheeple!

The true unnerving article or story is the friends we made along the way that stuff people actually did that's an acknowledged part of the historical record is generally more hosed up than the stuff people pretend his happening.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Theoretically even if you hire a contractor to renovate you have to file plans with somebody at the city or county, right? That could be your hotline. Doesn’t help if the guy does the work himself, obviously, but it’s a start.

Pick posted:

Kinksters like that are going to do something hosed up eventually, they're mentally ill and can go to hell.

Deus Vult!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xtal posted:

Maybe it's just that criminals are dumb, but I think if I was a criminal, I wouldn't ask a whole team of people to build my crime scenes, according to documented blue prints and other stuff. That's why they killed everyone who knew the secret rooms in the Red Keep!

insert picture of H.H. Holmes here.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Theoretically even if you hire a contractor to renovate you have to file plans with somebody at the city or county, right? That could be your hotline. Doesn’t help if the guy does the work himself, obviously, but it’s a start.

Depends from city to city. But I think in general you only need that if it effects a structural component, the ground footprint or the water tightness of the building.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Local municipalities vary from "whatever nobody cares just don't break anything on somebody else's property" to "you need these forms signed in triplicate to hang up new curtains" so it depends on where you are.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Local municipalities vary from "whatever nobody cares just don't break anything on somebody else's property" to "you need these forms signed in triplicate to hang up new curtains" so it depends on where you are.

On top of that, there's also the who you know factor. Location might be a hardass to everyone else, but if it's Mayor's cousin, they get a pass.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

xtal posted:

All the workers that built the Batcave are part of the foundation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pookel posted:

I mean, a small room with inset hooks in the walls is exactly what some people need for kinky activities, though. I'm not saying it seems harmless, just that it's not enough to prove someone's planning to murder anyone, because it's easily explained away with "we're into some weird poo poo and REALLY don't want anyone walking in on us."

Like, walk-in closet sized though? I've seen a lot of walk-in closets and sure it's bigger than a regular closet but it doesn't seem to me that there's enough space in there to do anything but store stuff(or in this case, keep someone locked up).

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Yeah, but are you really gonna turn down paying work? In this economy? That serial killer couldn't negotiate for poo poo. We're charging him twice what we'd normally get.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pick posted:

Yeah, but kinksters are proud to tell you what their kink is and how much they get off on it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

insert picture of H.H. Holmes here.

Holmes hired lots of different contractors. It was doubly good plan; they didn't know the full scale of what he was building and he could fire them and screw them out of money.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Holmes hired lots of different contractors. It was doubly good plan; they didn't know the full scale of what he was building and he could fire them and screw them out of money.

Obligatory mention of 'The Devil in the White City'. Come for the descriptions of the horrific yet banal cold-blooded murder of women and children alike, stay for the descriptions of the construction of the World's Fair.

Sure, I'm curious about whether Holmes will be caught when he tries to sell the bones of both mother and child to a local school, but I'm more intrigued by the idea that the Ferris Wheel might not be built on time for the grand opening with the Mayor, and on such unstable soil! Will the Pygmies cause havoc before the big show? Will the exotic swans escape the confines of the lake??

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Obligatory mention of 'The Devil in the White City'. Come for the descriptions of the horrific yet banal cold-blooded murder of women and children alike, stay for the descriptions of the construction of the World's Fair.

Sure, I'm curious about whether Holmes will be caught when he tries to sell the bones of both mother and child to a local school, but I'm more intrigued by the idea that the Ferris Wheel might not be built on time for the grand opening with the Mayor, and on such unstable soil! Will the Pygmies cause havoc before the big show? Will the exotic swans escape the confines of the lake??

How are they going to build an entire neo-classical marble city in mere months?!

god that is such a good book.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Tashilicious posted:

How are they going to build an entire neo-classical marble city in mere months?!

god that is such a good book.

I highly recommend Issac's Storm by the same author. It's about the 1900 Galveston Hurricane that completely devastated the city and killed approximately 20% of the population. It still remains the most deadly natural disaster in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane
https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/566950355/the-tempest-at-galveston-we-knew-there-was-a-storm-coming-but-we-had-no-idea

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Sinistrari posted:

I highly recommend Issac's Storm by the same author. It's about the 1900 Galveston Hurricane that completely devastated the city and killed approximately 20% of the population. It still remains the most deadly natural disaster in the US.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/566950355/the-tempest-at-galveston-we-knew-there-was-a-storm-coming-but-we-had-no-idea

Did he make the local tiddlywinks competition that was held off on account of weather to be more fascinating than the storm itself?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tashilicious posted:

Did he make the local tiddlywinks competition that was held off on account of weather to be more fascinating than the storm itself?

hahahah

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Obligatory mention of 'The Devil in the White City'.

Heard they were going to make a movie about this, with DiCaprio as Holmes, would be pretty insane

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

M_Sinistrari posted:

Oh man, I don't think I realized they were by the same person. They're both good reads, but Isaac's Storm was more down my alley. Fascinating historically and a pervasive sense of dread at all the mistakes being made, but easier to handle since it wasn't about a ghoulish murderhouse guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tashilicious posted:

it's about the birth of formalized scientific meteorology and how one guy used these techniques to say "hey there's a giant loving storm coming" and nobody believed him until whoops, thousands die

erik larson's other books that i've read:

thunderstruck, about the birth of wireless radio and how this technology was used to catch a murderer as he fled with his lover on a trans-atlantic cruise ship. previously they would have been able to disappear once the ship docked since they could travel faster than information but because of the wireless radio the cops were waiting as the ship came to port

in the garden of beasts: the american ambassador to germany immediately prior to ww2, as told through the diaries of his extremely horny adult daughter

dead wake: the torpedoing of the lusitania, with descriptions of the passengers aboard, the process of sinking, and the role submarines played in attacking civilian shipping