Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

KnoxZone posted:

All valid points, but who hasn't had to suffer a Shadow Hawk in their army at some point? People want something new and by some weird twist of fate, 'something new' has become a Mackie. The Clans will undoubtedly recoil in terror as the pride of the Terran Hegemony takes to the field of battle.

Coming mostly from the PC games I had no idea it even existed until now. While I like its looks I am heavily biased towards things with shoulder cannons. From a gameplay perspective, its pretty close to a Centurion but with crappier weapons and better mobility. Speaking of which, the head's recessed cockpit glass and the things on the knees seem to have reappeared in FD's Centurion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoulder cannons are the best guns. Hunchback, Hollander, Hauptmann... What I'm saying is that if it has a shoulder cannon and a name starting with an H it owns.

Also: Felime, gonna give you the option of picking a different machine for your advert or sticking with the CN9.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge, your writeup of the contest entries was super helpful. Thank you.

As for the political vote, C.

For the contest:
DS5
DS21
CC24

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Great Beer posted:

Coming mostly from the PC games I had no idea it even existed until now. While I like its looks I am heavily biased towards things with shoulder cannons. From a gameplay perspective, its pretty close to a Centurion but with crappier weapons and better mobility. Speaking of which, the head's recessed cockpit glass and the things on the knees seem to have reappeared in FD's Centurion.

For the most part, those revisions make me drool at the prospect of playing MWO, but I have always seen the mechs as big boxes of doom. The centurion looks like it has a little too much business going on on its limbs and its hips. Are those heat sinks or are they spoilers? The knee hinge looks too delicate to stand up to sustained combat. I also think it's important for the artists to emphasize the hardwired nature of IS 3025 mechs when we know that the clan mechs are far more modular and swappable.

The dragon on the other hand is the stuff of dreams. Large, imposing, downright threatening. It also looks like it's making GBS threads fire.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

:words:

:japan:

Voting for the DS15 and the DS14 for the Ryuken.

Voting for the CC16 for the Capellans.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Votes:

DS3 Lion
DS29 Oni
CC5 Rooster

A Consolidate.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
DS7
DS15
C13

Mackie and Raven for maximum comedy, and I always wanted the Shadow Hawk to be a contender.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really like the Shadow Hawk as a mech, at least half of which is because I mounted the gun on mine on a pin and that lets me sit around saying "gun goes up, gun goes down" over and over and over and

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Shoulder cannons are the best guns. Hunchback, Hollander, Hauptmann... What I'm saying is that if it has a shoulder cannon and a name starting with an H it owns.

Also: Felime, gonna give you the option of picking a different machine for your advert or sticking with the CN9.

CN9's a cool mech. Go for it!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

You missed the -7CS, which fills a similar role to the 11CS and is about as good. They aren't quite as good as the GRF-6CS, but it's pretty close...and the 11CS has the advantage of having the best inner sphere energy weapon in the game.

Honestly? Don't agree at all. The UAC5 is pretty sub-par. It's not as bad as the AC5, but it's a lousy weapon. The -11CS' Snub-Nose PPC is a hellishly better weapon and gives it a completely different combat profile than the -7CS.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
So whats wrong with the hellstar? It looks like it rapes face.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Saint Celestine posted:

That's the problem. It's boring to play, and to play against.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Saint Celestine posted:

It's boring. The single weapon system means you have only one range bracket to care about, and it's such a solid 'Mech that it actually becomes less interesting. Hell, you don't even have to worry about heat.

One of the great things about Battletech is how many of the 'Mechs are sub-par - "perfect" or "flawless" 'Mechs are just dull, it's like playing a video game with the cheat codes on. Yeah, you'll win, but what's the point?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There's this annual game convention in my home town where every year a couple dozen grizzled old nerds play the same gigantic battle royal, most of them bringing the same mechs (each of them has just the one). They were always there for at least the decade I visited. I didn't know the game at the time, but from what I remember they all seemed to play their favourite mech rather than the best one (probably for the same reasons discussed above). No apparent weight or tech level restrictions, the balance just seemed to be that everyone knew each other and the game was mostly for fun and laughs.

After having been a longtime observer though, I'd love to show up with a Hellstar one year. I'd still probably get stomped.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Political Vote Results 10

A blazing sun beat relentlessly against the iron-rich red sandstone that made up Citadel Amaris. Young and dark of skin, the ruler of the New Rim World Republic paced in the scorching heat. New St. Andrews was hardly a pleasant world, the air too hot and cloying, humid at night; yet so dry during the day the barbarian-men of the steppes Claves who’d come to serve the Amaris family had come to use their world’s scorching nature as a punishment: A man of a rebel tribe would have his goggles removed at mid-day, and be blinded for life by the dry air before the ‘relief’ of the dusk’s humidity and the rare but torrential night rain.

The world suited Stefan Amaris perfectly.

Here, even Battlemechs had difficulty with the rapidly changing conditions; his own personal guard kept their machines locked away in the Castle Brian over which Citadel Amaris had been carved. New St. Andrews once would have been a defensive lynchpin for further expansion by the into the deep periphery, but the monster Kerensky had ruined everything. Well, if the monster’s children had returned, so too would House Amaris; and a new Star League would rise and crush Kerensky once and for all. Stefan Amaris just had to be clever enough to make it happen.

Amaris did his best thinking in motion, and so he paced.

Paced, and studied his map. Amaris loved maps, collected them. His map of the Inner Sphere, he felt, was more complete than any save perhaps ComStar’s master copy on Terra. Or so, he thought smugly, he would allow ComStar to think. Amaris was hardly about to disabuse them.

The soft clack of a cane drew the young First Lord’s attention, and brought a smile to his lips. “Ah, William,” he turned. “Welcome home! What news from ComStar?”

Tall and thin, William Cameron Blake was perhaps Forty years Amaris’ senior. He had served Stefan’s now-deceased father, as his father had served, and his father’s father; and his grandson Alexander would do the same when William finally passed.

Blake tipped himself into a low bow, as he always did. And, as he always did, Amaris took him by the arm and stopped him. “… The Draconis Suns,” Amaras swept his arm at the map. “Can you believe it, William?”

Blake blinked. “I had brought the news in today’s dispatches,” he laid the packet of papers on the table. “How—?”

“Ah, good.” Amaris clapped his hands together. “How goes Marik’s adorable little war? Do they fail as badly as ever? Is ComStar still misdirecting poor, clueless Duncan’s orders?”

Blake shook his head, “You’re not in the least concerned about the Draconis Suns? This changes—”

“Afraid?” Amaris laughed, “of the two weakest economies in the Inner Sphere, joined forces to more than double their bureaucratic costs and throw themselves into voluntary turmoil and inevitable civil war? No, I’m not concerned. I’m thrilled!”

He leaned forward, gesturing at the map. Paper, rather than the typical hologram, with thousands of pins representing military units. “There, see? The Black Dragon’s regiments are growing by the day. It will take a miracle for ‘Coordinator-Prince’ Davion to survive the year.”

He turned, glaring at closer portions of the map. “No, William, let the Davions and Kuritas tear each other apart. I’m more concerned that we’ve received no overtures from Chancellor Liao. The Maskirovka has been slipped reports of our strength?”

“Justin Xiang has dismissed them,” Blake admitted. “A few raids on their periphery systems will hardly draw their attention, not with a victory on Marik so close; and Morgan Hasek at their backs.”

Amaris took the news in stride. “We expected as much. Still, the Great Houses will hardly welcome me back with open arms—we need to force them to take notice.”

“We do have agents in place,” Blake pointed out.

Stefan Amaris VII tipped his head back and laughed. “You’re so literal, old friend. No, no assassinations. Not yet. First, we need to force the Inner Sphere to take note. Then, we need to save them from Kerensky’s bloodthirsty marauders. Then, we assassinate whichever of the Great Houses is most vocal about protesting my claim to the throne. Simple.”

Blake nodded, his eyes tipping up towards the ceiling. “As you say, my Lord. So it shall be.”

Amaris clapped his hands. “Excellent. Now, send word to our forces bolstering House Marik. Operation Brutus will commence at 0400, on the 13th.”

A cluster of men knelt in simple, unadorned gray and black robes. Their faces hid by Oni masks, they faced each other in a large circle. Each had one—and only one—retainer: Bodyguard. Scribe. In some cases, Translator. They, to a man, were Great Men, yet they were businessmen, and ‘businessmen.’ Rarely military.

“Our man on Solaris failed—so close, yet that damned Capellan snatched his victory from him! Phillip Capet’s death is long overdue!”

“This cannot be born,” another growled. “He will destroy everything we hold dear unless we can put him in his place! Better the Clans than Hanse Davion—” The man spat on the floor. Or would have, were it not blocked by his mask. The others in the room pretended not to notice as he struggled for a few moments.

“You are a fool, Owata Shiro.”

Were it not already near-silent, a hush would have fallen over the room. A man strode into their midst, his white kimono a parody of the robes of state. He was Dead, and they all knew it. From Theodore Kurita, the assembled men averted their eyes. Yet he was a Kurita, their rightful Coordinator. His honor sacrificed for them and their sake, and they all knew it. They bowed low, masks pressing to the warehouse floor.

Kokuryu,” Theodore spat. “Black Dragon. You men are far too obvious.”

He speared each one with his cold, blue eyes. “Hanse Davion we will tolerate until Luthien is again ours, and we have broken the backs of these Clan invaders. What comes after, will depend on whether we have a proper Kurita heir. Kokuryu-kai, the Black Dragon Society, now answers directly to me.”

The plan had looked so good, Colonel Karim thought, laid out in the holotank. A Jade Falcon `Mech descended on pillars of white flame, the massive laser housed in its right arm coring a Manticore’s turret. At the Colonel’s order, the Demolisher gave it both barrels—the heat inside the venerable war machine spiking immediately to nearly lethal levels as the tank vented toxic propellant not out the sides, but into the ground beneath—and straight back into the main crew cabin. There was a reason Demolisher crews needed to wear a special cooling suit.

The Clan `Mech staggered under a hit, but its speedy profile defied a solid lock from the Demolisher’s slow-thinking computer. It leapt away in an instant, losing itself behind a low hillock. Ahmad Karim cursed. The plan had looked so good—two regiments of Arkhab tanks to hold the lines, while a regiment of `Mechs acted as a reserve force to flank and smash the Clan Heavies and Assaults the moment they got bogged down. It should have worked, too, if the Jade Falcons hadn’t simply bypassed the tanks with their fast jumpers, and smashed straight into the reserves.

Far less mobile, the Arkhab’s dug-in tank regiments had been too spread out and too well dug-in to come to the assistance of their `Mechwarrior brothers; and their battlemech forces had been cut down like wheat under a fieldsman’s sickle. The Demolisher’s turret spun, trying to draw a bead on another fast Clan jumper, but it was gone before the ponderous Demolisher could bring its guns to bear. Those fast jumpers had turned what should have been a rout into, well, a rout.

He ducked back inside the Demolisher’s turret. “Transmit our full BattleRom to ComStar,” he ordered calmly. “The Coordinator-Prince needs to know of the Clans’ change in tactics; then signal our surrender.”

He paused, “… they still seem to disdain tanks, so perhaps they will be foolish enough to let us garrison Asgard for them.”

Combat Theater Vote 10

A: Protectorate Iron Guard
Although twice they’ve been ordered to withdraw from the field, the Iron Guard of the Free Worlds League has never lost a fight. With Lyran forces reportedly crossing the Free Worlds League’s borders in an unprovoked assault, the Iron Guard’s easy pirate hunting assignment has suddenly grown a lot more dangerous.

B: Rim World Black Guard
The vanguard of the New Rim Worlds Republic, the Black Guard are second only to the Praetorians in equipment and training. Considered laughably underequipped by their League neighbors, this band of former-Mercenaries has been been awaiting the start of Brutus—and their revenge—with eager impatience. Their landing has already caught the recuperating Sirian Lancers unawares…

C: Praetorian Guards
The best troops in the Republic, and fanatically loyal to Stefan Amaris, the three Praetorian Guard regiments rotate their bodyguard duties yearly, so they may keep their edge honed and sharpened by front-line combat. Well prepared for the assault on the Free Worlds League, the Praetorian Guard stands ready to smash the ill-prepared 15th Marik Militia.

D: 2nd St. Ives Lancers
The Lady Chancellor’s order to redirect Capellan forces against the nascent Duchy of New Syrtis hardly came as a surprise to the St. Ives Lancers. Their regiments at the ready, they hold the honor of being the first Capellan forces to cross the border; and hope to earn the first victories and reclaim worlds long-ago stolen by House Davion.

Combat Theater Vote 10
A) Protectorate Iron Guard
B) Rim World Black Guard
C) Praetorian Guards
D) 2nd St. Ives Lancers

Also:
13 `Mechs have made the cut. You get two votes this time, and can vote for whatever you like (you can’t vote for the same `Mech twice, but that’s a given).

Final Entries:
DS3) Lion by Hob_Gadling
DS4) Victor by The Merry Marauder
DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone
DS14) Jagermech by GenericServices
DS15) Shadow Hawk by T.G. Xarbala
DS17) Yorinaga by TildeATH
DS29) Oni by Plek
CC1) Baba-Yaga by Felime
CC3) Po by Picard Day
CC4) Battlemaster by The Merry Marauder
CC6) Illuminati by Hob_Gadling
CC13) Raven by T.G. Xarbala
CC15) Pepperpot by AJ_Impy

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 15, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

It is time for the NRWR to make its grand debut. The road to Amaris's ascension shall be paved with the blood of House Marik :black101:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
B: Rim World Black Guard

I'm interested in knowing more about "Operation Brutus".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't be an Amaris if he wasn't going to stab his allies in the back :v:

Voting B

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I want to see what Amaris will do in this timeline, so C it is.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

A: Protectorate Iron Guard for mom apple pie and the FWL.

Also minor nitpick and/or foreshadowing shouldn't it be the Outworlds Alliance not the Outworlds Protectorate?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Rooting against Goonsquad on this. I am dis-functionally loyal to House Marik.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
C Praetorian Guards

Mech vote:
DS7 Mackie by KnoxZone
CC1 Baba-Yaga by Felime

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Uh. I did not really understand that political update. :downs: Can someone please help me out and give an idiot's summary of the update?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Artificer posted:

Uh. I did not really understand that political update. :downs: Can someone please help me out and give an idiot's summary of the update?

Amaris scheming, Black Dragon Society is gaining momentum (in a different way this timeline!), and Clan Jade Falcon has just entered the fight with an army of Thor Nidhogg forming the vanguard :black101:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A! The Free Worlds League must stand strong! :ohdear:

DS7, CC15

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

C
DS15) Shadow Hawk
CC13) Bloodbeak

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
C

DS14
CC6

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

D Liao must grow larger. And to be a greater threat to the new growing alliance. Time for some ill-advised conflict!

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

C) Praetorian Guards - I personally think this scenario sounds the most interesting of all the options.

Mech Vote:

DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone
CC1) Baba-Yaga by Felime

I don't like having to choose between the Baba-Yaga and the Pepperpot, but since only one of them can make the cut I guess I'll go with the most threatening one.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah forgot my mech votes, now that the field has narrowed it's a bit easier to make decisions.

DS15 Shadow Hawk
CC15 Pepperpot

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I have no deeper reason to vote C than that the briefing sounds the most interesting. Good to see some new fronts being played out!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

We're probably going to go with the Praetorians, but I just think that Beat up mechs are so much more interesting than shiny ones.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Political vote: C

Mech vote:
DS3, Fat Panther
CC13, Bloodbeak

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
D. Love the CC.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.
Since I'm voting for my own combat theatre, I'm voting C!

Mechvotes:

DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone
CC13) Bloodbeak

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

For mechvotes: DS14 and CC1

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A - Iron Guard
DS14 Jagermech
CC15 Pepperpot

I would rather play Brutus from the other side; nothing better than seeing a backstabbing get shut down.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C. What the hell does Stefan Amaris have that could make his fronline units a force to be feared? But brutus was an honourable man, so are they all honourable men.

DS7: I'm sticking to my guns: a new Mackie for the fractious new union.
CC15: It's cute, it's Capellan, it needs your support.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Voting B! Black Guards sounds fun to play as!

Also loved the fluff!

If I don't want a pepperpot which mech should I vote for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Artificer posted:

We've got three sections.

In the first, we learn that Stefan Amaris XX (or whichever number he is) has access to Comstar's HPG network. With it he's able to pinpoint the exact location of every Inner Sphere regiment. This is presumably due to the fact that he's got the Blake family working for him. It was a Blake who founded Comstar in the first place, after all. He also reveals that Comstar is loving with Duncan Marik's communications, which is why the Free Worlds League has been doing as badly as they have against Liao. Finally, in a bid to get himself taken seriously by the rest of the Sphere, he initiates "Operation Brutus." This violates basic operational naming rules because you can get an idea of what the operation is based on the name. In this case it refers to "Et tu, Brutae?" the murder of Julius Caesar by Brutus (and Cassius and others). In other words, the New Rim Worlds Republic is betraying their allies in House Marik with a knife in the back.

In the second section we see that Theodore Kurita is not as dead as we might have imagined him, and that further, he's biding his time and taking over the Black Dragon Society. The Black Dragons in the original timeline were a traditionalist organization that rebelled against the changes that Theodore was making to the DCMS. In this one they seem to be a group ready to rebel to try and restore the original Draconis Combine. Indeed, Stefan Amaris expects their rebellion within a year. He's going to be disappointed, though, because Theo's taken the organization over and is going to hold them back until they see if there's going to be a true Kurita heir produced from Hanse's marriage to Yorinaga's daughter. Even if there isn't, Theo isn't going to strike with his Black Dragon boys until the Draconis Suns takes back Luthien from the Clans. Which may take even longer because....

In the third section we find out that the Jade Falcons have defeated the Arkhab Legion ambush on Asgard. The Falcons employ high mobility tactics which allowed them to cut their way out of the ambush in a way that the the tank-heavy Hell's Horses forces the Legion had been expecting would not have been able to. This is also important because it shows that more Clans have been added to the invasion, including the Jade Falcons who were one of the most dangerous and effective Clans in the original timeline. It also means that nine of (presumably) eighteen Clans have forces in the Sphere now, which is a quicker rate than in the original timeline where you only had seven Clans in at this point.

• Locked thread