Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cid's a cool dude but remember this.

He named his first son "Brother."

He was so disappointed that he was saying "you are only of any value as defined by my NEXT child."

This could very well be the source of Brother's drug abuse problems in X-2.

Also I think he might be part-Hypello.
"The final showdown with Shin!" (how many times do people hear that in X? A few hundred at least?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Brother is so annoying in Final Fantasy X-2. He acts like a two year old and his creepy incesteous crush on Yuna doesn't help either.

I actually love how obnoxious Shinra is though. It's funny how every time you talk to him, he just says :smug: "I know everything." Plus, he's voiced by Bobby Hill.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 10, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

He was so disappointed that he was saying "you are only of any value as defined by my NEXT child."

"The final showdown with Shin!" (how many times do people hear that in X? A few hundred at least?)

I'm pretty sure Cid's wife huffed paint when she was pregnant with Brother, it's the only way to explain well... Brother.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I guess it's a regional thing. I have a first cousin named JUNIOR, for example. Not, like, "<Dad's Name>, Jr.," just... Junior. Cid basically did that, he pulled a familial pronoun out of a hat. Quite frankly, Brother is lucky his name isn't AUNTY.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
One of the first things you do in X-2 HD is basically mug Brother and shove him in a pop so he can fight against giant monsters using only dancing and poses. I like to think when he gets too creepy they just throw him in the arena for a hour and grab whats left so he can pilot.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
So, this week's Famitsu says that SE is preparing to release FF15 info!

e: Basically, it says they're preparing something and for us to wait just a little bit more.

Veks fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 10, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"We managed to come to a conclusion on the primary antagonists's hair colour."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Celery Face posted:

Brother is so annoying in Final Fantasy X-2. He acts like a two year old and his creepy incesteous crush on Yuna doesn't help either.

I actually love how obnoxious Shinra is though. It's funny how every time you talk to him, he just says :smug: "I know everything." Plus, he's voiced by Bobby Hill.

Best part was whenever someone called him out on not knowing something he'd just respond with "I'm just a kid :shobon:"

Andrealinia
May 30, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

How is it possible to get more than one or two chests in Remiem temple!? :psyduck:

I managed to get three, but I can't even come close getting any more. drat chocobo racing.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

NikkolasKing posted:

That's just translation thing. His name in Japanese is Aniki, which means older brother. It's a term of endearment and can sometimes be used by younger women towards any older but still relatively young man, particularly if they're family.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MonsieurChoc posted:

How is it possible to get more than one or two chests in Remiem temple!? :psyduck:

Andrealinia posted:

I managed to get three, but I can't even come close getting any more. drat chocobo racing.

hth

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

g0lbez posted:

Honestly I felt FFXII kinda hit that DQ1-esque "explore wherever but gently caress you if you take a wrong turn" concept that I've always missed from old school RPGs.

I aggroed the T-Rex first time I saw it. I regret nothing.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Pureauthor posted:

It will be... Silver.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Eldarion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjKL7aZY4E

That's the first thing. Other tips:

- Make SURE your TV is in game mode and you have all fancy post-processing turned off. You don't want to be adding another 100ms to your reaction times.
- DO NOT TRY AND DODGE UNTIL YOU SEE THE FLASH. That may seem obvious, but once you get 50 or so you'll have gotten into a rhythm and will start to want to press the dodge button once you get to the right spot on the screen. Resist this urge and constantly remind yourself to wait for the flash.

I literally JUST got done finishing up the lightning dodging, and the above was all I needed. Now, because I'm insane, I have the game platinumed at a low low 102 hours.

Thanks, this works really well.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pureauthor posted:

It wouldn't surprise me, I remember when the characters' brand of clothing was actual news.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Hey I just got my early access code for pre ordering the collectors edition of FF14 for the PS4.

I entered the code. and it sent me back to the store without any instructions or a direct to the download of FF14, so I looked for FF14, found it, and downloaded it. Now I installed it. and it says its on maintenance now?

Is that correct, or did I somehow gently caress up the early access code?

Andrealinia
May 30, 2013

Thank you! I'll be trying this tonight, then I've just got that darn catcher chocobo to do before I'm done with the calm lands.
3.6 is my lowest. *cries*

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Sefal posted:

Hey I just got my early access code for pre ordering the collectors edition of FF14 for the PS4.

I entered the code. and it sent me back to the store without any instructions or a direct to the download of FF14, so I looked for FF14, found it, and downloaded it. Now I installed it. and it says its on maintenance now?

Is that correct, or did I somehow gently caress up the early access code?

That's correct: first time you can play the game is on the 14th (on the PS4).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Systematic System posted:

That's correct: first time you can play the game is on the 14th (on the PS4).

Oh ok, but doesn't that defeat the point of an early access code. It doesn't really matter. I'm in no rush to play the game. Getting FFX and FFX2 tomorrow.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Sefal posted:

Oh ok, but doesn't that defeat the point of an early access code. It doesn't really matter. I'm in no rush to play the game. Getting FFX and FFX2 tomorrow.

Early access starts tomorrow (11th). Retail access starts Monday (14th).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Veks posted:

e: Basically, it says they're preparing something and for us to wait just a little bit more.

"Good news! Official production on the game has finally begun and we'll have a release date decided sometime next spring."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Veks posted:

"Based on the success of Bravely Default, we have decided to cancel the console version of FFXV and to release the game on the 3DS and mobile devices."

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
drat you Yunalesca. I remember how to deal with your zombie death nonsense, and get killed by goddamn confusion? Arggggh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

drat you Yunalesca. I remember how to deal with your zombie death nonsense, and get killed by goddamn confusion? Arggggh

Start practicing your voice acting by reading each of their lines.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Just how many drat times can you steal from a monster in FFX? It's at least 3, possibly maximum of 3 if I am just misremembering some gameplay from last night.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There's no limit. Chance of it working just decreases every time you succeed; first one has 100% chance of success, then 50% then 25% then 12.5% and so on and so forth. I think the lowest your success rate can get is a little under 1% but I could be misremembering.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9
Right on. Also, gently caress Shred, I have been all over the south and western Calm Lands and they're rare as hell for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Is FFX just easier than I remember? I made it all the way to Evrae without wiping once.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Is FFX just easier than I remember? I made it all the way to Evrae without wiping once.

When was the last time you played it? It took me, like, three months to beat when I was in junior high (which is when it came out). I beat FFXHD, however, in a week, and also had no trouble with any boss except the final one. I remember I fought Yunalesca legit 9 times back in the day and was so frustrated and beat her on the first time, with minimal damage this play through.

Part of the reason why is- because like most kids- I went in with guns blazing and no strategy other than "lemme beat the gently caress out of this boss and hope he stays down".

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 11, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last time I played it was about two or three years ago.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Veks posted:

E3's not that far away, so I'm sure everyone's preparing to release info for their stuff.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Getting wiped by confusion is a bummer. I haven't really had any problems with any of the bosses or anything, but some shrub thing nearly took out the whole party in Bikanel because nobody had anything confusion proof.

Bio spells in this game seem like way more of a threat than in other FFs I've played, both using it and getting hit by it. In something like FF6 or FF7, if I got hit by bio in a random encounter, I would never bother curing it, since it just kind of plinked off your health. I thought I could keep the same strategy, until my turn ended and it took off like a third of my health.

I kinda like that, though. Other games I wouldn't bother with a lot of status effects (or in FF12, I'd just cheese it, put that reverse-effect ring on and throw a remedy at a boss and see what happened), but in this one they're pretty useful and in some cases necessary to keep from getting rolled.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Thanks! But the other bird keeps winning when I'm between chests 4 and 5. :negative:

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

HD DAD posted:

"Good news! Official production on the game has finally begun and we'll have a release date decided sometime next spring."

Official production has just begun on a game announced in 2006. What an announcement. I remember being shocked when a biz dev guy at SE told me that production hadn't even started in 2009, but this is insane.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Let us English posted:

Official production has just begun on a game announced in 2006. What an announcement. I remember being shocked when a biz dev guy at SE told me that production hadn't even started in 2009, but this is insane.

Er, technically that was a joke. Probably.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

Er, technically that was a joke. Probably.

I probably should have read the image, but yeah, workforce management and best practices at SE are notoriously abysmal even by Japanese standards so I just kinda assumed.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thanks! But the other bird keeps winning when I'm between chests 4 and 5. :negative:

Same here. I really hate the controls/camera angle in the Remiem race. I hit the sides far too often (which slows you down, then again any time you're not going straight ahead you're going to be losing time) and by the time I get to the fifth chest the chocobo has passed me by three or four seconds difference. I rammed my head into a few times tonight and the chocobo racing in the Calm Lands.

I am seriously ready to outsource the catcher chocobo race to anyone who would be so kind as to help out with it.

I got down to 10 seconds but it's as low as I can manage.

Also I'm guessing the easiest way to get Triple AP is to grind One Eye for loot to sell so you can bribe Malboros?

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I hate the Catcher Chocobo Race beyond words. I cannot fathom how young me managed to beat it. Every aspect of it is an unfun pain in the rear end.
:negative:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The PTSD from that Catcher Chocobo crap is why I'll probably never play X again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I weirdly have never had trouble with Chocobo Catcher but I don't think I've ever bothered to get Lulu's Celestial Weapon because gently caress that is boring.