Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

carry on then posted:

Yeah, it's specific to the second-gen sensor, which is in the 6S and later and the new iPad Pros only. It's the reason they changed from "Rest to unlock" in iOS 9 to "Press to unlock" in iOS 10; people were complaining about missing notifications because they'd use the home button to wake the screen, which would now authenticate so fast they couldn't read the lock screen.

I actually dumbed down my 6S and 7 touchID to the old behavior for that very reason -- it's more convenient for me if I just want to see my lock screen for a few seconds and have it turn back off, rather than zip right through to the home screen and stay on for 2 minutes. Same deal for unlocking my watch in the morning.

FYI (For Y'all's Infomation,) that toggle in home button settings still allows you to get to the home screen with a single press and rest of a finger, no need to click twice (although that works, too.) It basically emulates the speed & behavior of the old 5S/6 sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

Has anyone had issues lately with Safari and googling things? I'll type a phrase into the search bar it'll load about a 1/4 of the page and then just hang forever.

I've experienced this occasionally because an ad in a background tab was loving up the whole browser. Try closing all tabs and seeing if it works any better.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

I actually dumbed down my 6S and 7 touchID to the old behavior for that very reason -- it's more convenient for me if I just want to see my lock screen for a few seconds and have it turn back off, rather than zip right through to the home screen and stay on for 2 minutes. Same deal for unlocking my watch in the morning.

I used to think that, but lately If you just pick it up and look at it then the lock screen comes in automatically, no need to touch the button.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat, the sync on AirPods when watching video is really good. Far better than the last pair of BT headphones I used.
They're a bit glitchy with my MacBook though 🤔

Violator
May 15, 2003

Are there any portable Bluetooth speakers that charge via Lightning cable other than the Beats Pills? Essentially all of my other gadgets use Lightning to charge and it's super nice using one cable for everything. I was hoping to find one that's cheaper than the $230 Pill.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Violator posted:

Are there any portable Bluetooth speakers that charge via Lightning cable other than the Beats Pills? Essentially all of my other gadgets use Lightning to charge and it's super nice using one cable for everything. I was hoping to find one that's cheaper than the $230 Pill.

Nope.
Get a little microUSB to lighting ( or ideally vice Versa) dongle, and leave it in the back of the speaker the whole time.

Recommend the UE boom range, my mini boom has been great.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You can get cables which have a little micro USB to Lightening adapter tethered near the connector. These work okay in my experience.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Good ideas, a lot cheaper than a whole new speaker. I've got one of those Amazon Basics speakers already, so I ordered a two pack of those Lightning to MicroUSB adapters for like $10 from Amazon. I think I'll also pick up one of those duo cables. Thanks for the suggestions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dissss posted:

You can get cables which have a little micro USB to Lightening adapter tethered near the connector. These work okay in my experience.
The ones I have from TYLT are amazing. I use them when I travel and in my car for maximum versatility: https://www.tylt.com/flyp-duo-reversible-usb

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just bought an iPod Touch for a work related project and it is a nicer shape to hold than my iphone 7 by a huge margin.

the flat sides and bevelled edges on the flat screen edge means its actually easier to hold and its made out of the same lovely, slippery finish as the iPhone is.

basically just make the iPod touch bigger and put the 7 hardware inside that.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
That's the iPhone SE.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Biodome posted:

That's the iPhone SE.

You missed the 'make it bigger' part.
the SE is great, but feels small compared to a 7.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The last iPod Touch gen was pretty sleek. Although you can afford to be sleek when your battery is half the size of a phone.

I guess those cellular radios really drain power.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

dissss posted:

Don't they make some that split into a y with both connections or I guess those are poo poo?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On the subject of jailbreaking, are there jailbreak tweaks to modify AirPods' tap gestures to have double/triple tap be skip forward/back respectively? I'm borrowing my boss' AirPods and they're fantastic but the lack of skip and volume control without having to use Siri are a big deal.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Borrowing your bosses in ear headphones? I hope you're also loving your boss.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

GoldfishStew posted:

Borrowing your bosses in ear headphones? I hope you're also loving your boss.
How else am I gonna get a raise?

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
I think in iOS 11 you can assign the double tap to do different things per ear.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

jawbroken posted:

I think in iOS 11 you can assign the double tap to do different things per ear.
Awesome! That was genuinely the only thing I was still holding off on re: getting AirPods.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome! That was genuinely the only thing I was still holding off on re: getting AirPods.

I bought a pair on Saturday and they're absolutely excellent. Bit of a hassle to set up with the Watch but I think that's a watch issue, my last pair of BT headphones wouldn't pair without a reset. Other than that they're excellent.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I bought a pair on Saturday and they're absolutely excellent. Bit of a hassle to set up with the Watch but I think that's a watch issue, my last pair of BT headphones wouldn't pair without a reset. Other than that they're excellent.
I don't have a watch, but they seem fine for pairing with iPad and iPhone. I guess I'll likely pick up a pair when I get the next iPhone, unless they announce AirPods 2 with volume control, since I've really noticed today how much I tweak the volume of what I'm listening to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't find myself changing the volume too much with them on. It's not that big a deal to reach into my pocket for my phone so I have the tap set to play pause, I'm not arsed with Siri but with iOS 11 you can set each AirPod to do a different thing which is cool.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Double-tap -> "Set volume to ten" or "Set volume to sixty percent" or whatever works well for me but I only do it when I'm alone because I feel like a massive dingus.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I just press volume up or down over my jeans or use my watch.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I bought a new iPhone 7 and used my iCloud backup to add all of my apps and settings (backed up from my iPhone 6). But for some reason 6 apps didn't get restored, and when I looked them up in the app store it says I haven't purchased them? Even one free metronome app wasn't installed. For the record the apps that are now saying I haven't paid for them are NBA Jam, Icewind Dale, X-Men, Dark Quest and Rain Pro.

Any idea what the issue is? The only pattern I can see is that apps I purchased recently WERE restored. So why weren't the others restored? Is it because I'm on holiday in a different region? Is it because I still have them installed on my old iPhone? I really don't want to delete them from my old phone in case I need proof of purchase.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Disco De Soto posted:

I bought a new iPhone 7 and used my iCloud backup to add all of my apps and settings (backed up from my iPhone 6). But for some reason 6 apps didn't get restored, and when I looked them up in the app store it says I haven't purchased them? Even one free metronome app wasn't installed. For the record the apps that are now saying I haven't paid for them are NBA Jam, Icewind Dale, X-Men, Dark Quest and Rain Pro.

Any idea what the issue is? The only pattern I can see is that apps I purchased recently WERE restored. So why weren't the others restored? Is it because I'm on holiday in a different region? Is it because I still have them installed on my old iPhone? I really don't want to delete them from my old phone in case I need proof of purchase.

Could be they were actually purchased using someone else's Apple ID. Or region stuff. Or piracy.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Piracy is cool shut up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like the idea of the Air Pods, but the idea of paying that much money for something that consensus says sounds 'a little better' than the "I guess they're fine for bundled headphones" Earpods just completely kills them in their tracks for me.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

You're not buying them for the sound. The sound is...the sound like for EarPods. They're perfectly fine. It's not audiophile poo poo. EarPods never were that. It's for every day living. And these improve on that and take that to the next level. That being said, best Bluetooth mic headset I've ever used. I've owned a few in the past, high end ones, and this is by far the one where people ever even realize I'm not directly on my iPhone. Maybe if it's super windy it comes up more. When I keep one in my ear and listen to podcasts and get calls, doing whatever I'd be doing in my regular life, it feels like being in Her. I'm one of those lucky people that the EarPod shape fits my ear just fine. In fact, I sometimes I forget I have it in because it's so light/unobtrusive and get reminded when I bump into someone in real life and I look like I'm wearing ear fedoras. Don't talk to people irl and keep an AirPod in your ear.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

Could be they were actually purchased using someone else's Apple ID. Or region stuff. Or piracy.

Both my old 6 and my new 7 phone are signed into the same Apple ID, and the apps show as purchased on the 6, but not on the 7. So weird. Maybe there was some issue when backing up/restoring? Or yes maybe pirates are to blame.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Speaking of AirPods, where are the $10 Chinese lead filled knockoffs?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Disco De Soto posted:

Both my old 6 and my new 7 phone are signed into the same Apple ID, and the apps show as purchased on the 6, but not on the 7. So weird. Maybe there was some issue when backing up/restoring? Or yes maybe pirates are to blame.

Aren't some apps, like that Mario run game, tied to a specific device? Or they can only be on one device at a time? I might be talking crazy, but I thought that was a thing and maybe other games are doing it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

iOS 11 Public Beta is up, for those who want to try it out.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

One day Apple will allow folks to change the Recently Added in Apple Music to be a Recently Played list instead. I hate that they kinda buried that in a separate tab.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Violator posted:

Aren't some apps, like that Mario run game, tied to a specific device? Or they can only be on one device at a time? I might be talking crazy, but I thought that was a thing and maybe other games are doing it?

I thought that might be it, so I tried to delete the apps from my old phone. I erased my new phone and ran the restore again and it seemed to be working, all the apps were there queued and ready to download, but when it's their turn to install they just disappear! WTF

EDIT: Ok I figured it out. I just went to repurchase one of the apps that wasn't downloading and up pops a message that says something like "This will be free because you have already purchased a version of this app" so maybe there are slightly different versions of apps for older phones or the app store was just confused.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 27, 2017

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Skeezy posted:

One day Apple will allow folks to change the Recently Added in Apple Music to be a Recently Played list instead. I hate that they kinda buried that in a separate tab.
You can always make a Smart Playlist in iTunes for this, that's what I did. Though it seems the less Apple wants you to actually use that bloated mess the more likely it is that smart playlists are gonna die.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In the realm of "well someone has to test this," I'm interested to see if the new iOS11 podcast features get supported by podcast creators. I like the idea of supporting seasons and categorizing podcasts as either episodic or serial to get the "right" default settings for when you subscribe. This stuff could be good if it's supported. As it stands, the "suggested episodes" for podcasts you first subscribe to could be pretty good once Apple really gets some data in there. Adopting the music-style "now playing" bar makes sense, to me at least.

Of course, some of the good features from the 9/10 version of the app are gone, which is kind of the story of the Podcast App.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m still baffled by the lockscreen/notification shade being merged.

It’s kind of annoying that you can’t swipe notifications away like the old style. There’s still room for it to change by release I suppose.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

iOS 11 Public Beta is up, for those who want to try it out.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

So on a scale of "fun with a couple of bugs here and then" to "well my phone is a brick half the time" where is iOS11 right now? I've tried previous public betas and they've never been outright terrible so I'm thinking of jumping on this one.

EDIT: I'll give it a shot in my iPad Pro since that's what I'm really looking forward to. I'll spare my phone for now.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So on a scale of "fun with a couple of bugs here and then" to "well my phone is a brick half the time" where is iOS11 right now? I've tried previous public betas and they've never been outright terrible so I'm thinking of jumping on this one.

Everything I'm seeing on macrumors forums say it's not great and probably should be used on a device you rely on.