Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
If y'all haven't watched PBS' four-parter on the Clintons, you really should. Especially if you weren't old enough to vote for them. Seeing how they both worked together to make it to the '92 election and then deal with Gingrich for six years says quite a bit about why they're both the way they are now. All of the American Experience shows on the Presidents are very good, but this one is quite relevant.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/clinton/

It's on DVD, streaming on hulu probably, and there's probably torrents around as well.

Chamale posted:

It's true of many career politicians, not some flaw unique to Hillary Clinton. Just look at the way she effortlessly changes her viewpoints to match popular opinion, on Iraq, gay marriage, taxes, and more.

This debate over whether politicians should be allowed to evolve on issues keeps happening in the thread and it's really loving stupid. Why would anyone want a politician that didn't change as society changed? Noone was getting elected as a supporter of gay rights, outside of weird states and districts with college populations, up until the last four years or so and the tax movement is just as new. Sure, there's always been people on the other side, but how many of them got elected and actually changed anything running that platform? Getting a politician to change their mind is how you get good legislation when you can't elect people that agree with you already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

What does every Republican mean by making the country great again

No more browns

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Whatever positive connotations the listener wants to provide, especially things that the candidate isn't ever going to do.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ZenVulgarity posted:

Give white males back all of the rights that have been taken away the past six years.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
They obviously are going to turn America back into the largest economic and military power in the world.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

ZenVulgarity posted:

They want this fictional universe, basically.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ZenVulgarity posted:

They want to return us to the World of Reagan; forgetting that in Reagan's world, the financial markets were more heavily regulated, minimum wage was more equitable, and corporate taxes were higher. What they really want is to roll back to their imaginary Reagan years and especially anything that might have moved equality.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Kro-Bar posted:

<:saddowns:> I learned everything I know about society from that show. It was pretty radical for its time, and distinctly different (vastly better) than poo poo like Father Knows Best.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

In his Wisconsin speech he had a lengthy section where he talked about police brutality and that young African Americans need to be able to walk down the street without being abused or worse. He needs to actually relay that and much more to black voters in person though, Wisconsin is really white.

Allow me to provide some context.

Sanders made that speech in Madison, Wisconsin, which has historically had the exact same problem that a lot of people here think they're criticizing about Sanders -- it's full of well-off white liberals who talk the talk but don't really walk the walk. Blacks in Madison experience serious institutional racism and there'd been ongoing issues with trying to deal that but no one has made a serious effort on that front. Milwaukee, as well, is famously one of the most segregrated cities in America.

Sometime about a year and a half ago a prominent black reverend, Alex Gee, decided to finally call Madison out on its poo poo. The community response since then has been overwhelmingly positive and unified, and various groups have been working hard, with much more effective results, to fight systemic racism in Madison. The article itself is quite good, I'd recommend you read it, especially if you're one of the people who were Very Concerned about Sanders's, uh, economic issues. It has nothing to do with Sanders, but it's always great for sheltered whites to read real talk about problems faced at the local level by black people.

Several months ago a black teenager, Tony Robinson, was having a bad trip. His friends called the police, a cop arrived and went inside, and apparently Robinson charged at the cop, the cop drew his gun, and shot Robinson dead while scrambling backwards out of the house. There was a large protest about the shooting and general police brutality, and some of those protests ended up disrupting the mayoral election and was a serious, ongoing topic for the city for a few months. (Apologies for the Wikipedia link but I don't know of any other source that encompasses the entire episode, and I didn't want to link 10 different things.) Anyway, I can tell you the Robinson shooting was still very fresh in mind of Madisonians when Sanders was here giving that speech with that specific part about police brutality and young blacks. I would be surprised if Sanders wasn't aware of it and specifically communicating that particular point with that in mind. There were plenty of black people at Sanders's Madison speech who heard that part of his speech and will talk about it with others.

While Wisconsin is "really white", there's still a very significant black and Asian population in Madison and Milwaukee, and many Latino and Hmong communities throughout the state. Milwaukee is 40% black, Green Bay is 1/6ths Latino, it's the rest-of-the-state that's overwhelmingly white thanks to the German/French settler heritage and little economic opportunity other than farming to attract outsiders. (Our American Indian population is also sadly dwindling to nothing outside places like Green Bay or the reservations in the northern half of the state.)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:smithfrog:

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

No one is suggesting politicians cannot change their mind. People are questioning Hillary's sincerity in doing so. This is not unique to Hillary - the same could be said about 95% of politicians, but it stands out more in contrast to someone like Sanders who obviously believes what he says.

Otoh, this is the image the right has been painting of the Clintons for 20 years.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Qurnah posted:

Okay I'll play. Lets say one of the establishment candidates Jeb, Rubio or Walker wins the general election and tears up the agreement.
Saber rattling ensues and Israel fires the first shots by bombing an Iranian nuclear facility. Is America then by virtue of being Israels military ally automatically at war against Iran too?

quote:

Don't congress and the senate need to vote before starting what could evolve inte WW3?

Nope! The President can unilaterally act militarily for 60 days before he has to report to Congress. A formal declaration of war or an extension of hostilities past 90 days requires Congressional approval.

quote:

Do your duty to Israel actually mean that you always need to support their acts of aggression without question?

What are you, an anti-Semite?? Yes, we support Israel in all things at all times and did you see this drawing by Netanyahu? We have to act!

quote:

I can in some way understand how a big chunk of the american public and their elected officials in the aftermath of 9/11 sanctioned the war against Iraq. As a nation you were wounded and not thinking straight. You were afraid and you wanted revenge and lashed out. I watched it all unfold, I was only in high school when it went down but I remember when the world held it's breath in anticipation for what was about to come.

I have a hard time imagining how even a republican president could convince the nation that yet again you have the need to squander untold lives and resources because Israel got trigger happy.

quote:

How are you gonna handle the deficit with another war going on? And you're gonna infuriate pretty much the whole world except Israel.
A sitting president that isn't a complete lunatic I'm thinking it's not worth the risk of completley ruining the country and earning the scorn of the international community.

Republicans don't care about the deficit as much as they care about no-bid military contracts. Nor do they care about the international community (note the appointment by Bush of John Bolton, a man who opposes the very concept of the UN, as ambassador to the UN).

If we get a Republican president, we get a war with Iran. Almost guaranteed. And at least 60-70% of the US public will be cheering for it (for the first six months at least).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Kro-Bar posted:

Ok Republicans, we'll go back to all of that including the marginal tax rates from those days, deal?

Acelerion posted:

No one is suggesting politicians cannot change their mind. People are questioning Hillary's sincerity in doing so. This is not unique to Hillary - the same could be said about 95% of politicians, but it stands out more in contrast to someone like Sanders who obviously believes what he says.

Otoh, this is the image the right has been painting of the Clintons for 20 years.

Exactly. You can change your mind once in a while, but when you reverse positions on just about everything one has to conclude that you're either an idiot or a liar.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 13, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's not really "the image the right has been painting" as much as just kind of coloring in the lines.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
It's the image that exists only in their narrative fiction.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

ZenVulgarity posted:

If you say it three times in front of a mirror, Arthur Laffer steps out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Clinton is uniquely positioned to be the most effective President we've seen in a long time. She knows more about the Presidency than any candidate I can think of, I doubt Bush Jr learned alot while his father was President, and if she still wants to run after six years of dealing with Gingrich, then there's something in her that I'm curious to see.

Perhaps if Biden was running, or if the Dems had another candidate that could win the general, I wouldn't be as bullish on Clinton, but I've been watching her and her husband for quite a long time and they're big picture great society types. Maybe some of that has been worn down since the early 90's, but I'm willing to crank up the hope machine again.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mr.48 posted:

Exactly. You can change your mind once in a while, but when you reverse positions on just about everything one has to conclude that you're either an idiot or a liar.

Or both, in Walker's case.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sir Tonk posted:

Clinton is uniquely positioned to be the most effective President we've seen in a long time. She knows more about the Presidency than any candidate I can think of, I doubt Bush Jr learned alot while his father was President, and if she still wants to run after six years of dealing with Gingrich, then there's something in her that I'm curious to see.

Perhaps if Biden was running, or if the Dems had another candidate that could win the general, I wouldn't be as bullish on Clinton, but I've been watching her and her husband for quite a long time and they're big picture great society types. Maybe some of that has been worn down since the early 90's, but I'm willing to crank up the hope machine again.
Going to be hard for her to get much done if she has a GOP controlled Congress.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Kicking out all the nig- wetba, er, undesirables.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

McAlister posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/07/11/teachers-union-endorses-hillary-clinton-in-democratic-race/

So they interviewed Sanders and had all candidates fill out a detailed questionnaire as well as do a recorded interview which was then released internally to union members. If we have any teacher's union members on the forum they could maybe post the videos? Or summarize them? People referencing the videos have been saying that they really liked Hillary's emphasis on listening to teachers and working together to solve educational problems while o'malley and sanders came off as more top down "this is what I would do".

If I had to venture a guess as to why Hillary won I would probably say it's due to the fact that in her public and her private life she is way more involved with educational issues than Bernie and thus has better qualifications to address their problems. Both Hillary and Bernie take the right positions on teacher's issues. But Hillary goes further and makes issues out of those positions. She dives into the details while Bernie has faith that if you implement his economic plans everything else just magically will sort itself out and as a result skims over the details of what he considers to be distracting side issues.

I mean let's be serious here. Hillary founded and works with a charity that has funded hundreds of schools world-wide. She has first hand experience working with challenges of providing education to students in poverty and regularly does fundraiser speaking engagements for educational groups where they can charge admission but don't have to pay her. Bernie offers votes and sound bytes. Hillary throws in money, time, and passion on top of that.

Also, schools are a place where Bernie's desire to kick certain cans down the road really isn't acceptable. Teachers have been very vocal on the topic that there are external factors they can't compensate for in response to Waiting for Superman style propaganda insisting that academic success rests entirely on the teacher's shoulders and that if we just fire all the "bad" teachers and only hire "good" teachers everything will be awesome.

Teen pregnancy, for example, is devastating to the academic prospects of the mother and often the father ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3436411/ - teen dads are at high risk for dropping out. Religious teen dads who marry the teen mom have a 62% drop out rate ). But Bernie omitted reproductive issues from his platform and in various speeches has stated that reproductive issues are a distraction. He has called on people with disagreements there to put them to the side for now and come together on the more important economic issues at hand.

His educational platform is heavily centered around college tuition assistance and he "me too"s Clinton's efforts on universal pre-k programs to help working mothers.

Clinton, otoh, understands that no amount of college funding helps if a teen pregnancy kicks a kid out of college before (s)he completes high school. She has seen first hand in Africa how beneficial contraceptive access is to keeping teens ( dads too! ) in school. This intersects with class because low income students have the least access to contraception contributing to their high high school drop out rates.

Another issue is racism in school funding. As the forums has noted many times, we essentially have two k-12 school systems in America. The one for white kids is doing extremely well. The one for minority kids is poo poo. Bernie's allergy to tackling racial issues cripples his ability to address this problem while Clinton faces these issues head on.

Bernie didn't win this endorsement because he demonstrably doesn't deserve to.

This is from a bunch of pages back, but I just wanna chime in and say this is wrong as hell. Labor unions almost always 'vote' to endorse not from their membership, but from their Executive Boards. IIRC, several of AFT's Executive Board members have very close professional/personal relationships with HRC, including Randi Weingarten, who has been a good friend of hers for years and was a superdelegate for Clinton in 2008.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/247257-sanders-we-have-got-to-apologize-for-slavery

Is this true? I thought the US had officially apologized for slavery. If we haven't, that is insane.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My friend came over this weekend and we watched some John Oliver. When this piece came up, he said "Now that's a man that knows how to get poo poo done. I'd vote for him."

At which point (since he had never heard of Bernie Sanders before), I told him he was running for president. He actually said he was going to register to vote for him. If Bernie gets elected, it will be John Oliver's fault.

I'm okay with that. :bernget:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

this_is_hard posted:

This is from a bunch of pages back, but I just wanna chime in and say this is wrong as hell. Labor unions almost always 'vote' to endorse not from their membership, but from their Executive Boards. IIRC, several of AFT's Executive Board members have very close professional/personal relationships with HRC, including Randi Weingarten, who has been a good friend of hers for years and was a superdelegate for Clinton in 2008.

Boy are those teachers gonna love it if Hillary gets elected and then cuts education to make some kind of deal with Republicans for something else. Hillary gives no fucks, she is a politician only for her own self-interest and egomania. Whats actually good for the American people is at best 3rd on her list of priorities behind getting to power and money.

E: Hillary can promise personal statues on the moon for all a rational person should care. Clinton's promises aren't worth the paper they written on, whereas Sanders promises things that he will actually do his best to deliver.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 13, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

greatn posted:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/247257-sanders-we-have-got-to-apologize-for-slavery

Is this true? I thought the US had officially apologized for slavery. If we haven't, that is insane.

I don't believe we have. There was some white dude I saw on CNN or something saying that Obama should apologize for slavery. Apparently it would be extra meaningful if the first black President was the first US President to officially apologize for the enslavement of people who look like him?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

Boy are those teachers gonna love it if Hillary gets elected and then cuts education to make some kind of deal with Republicans for something else. Hillary gives no fucks, she is a politician only for her own self-interest and egomania. Whats actually good for the American people is at best 3rd on her list of priorities behind getting to power and money.

E: Hillary can promise personal statues on the moon for all a rational person should care. Clinton's promises aren't worth the paper they written on, whereas Sanders promises things that he will actually do his best to deliver.

And you base this all on, what exactly?

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

Then why has she turned left faster than Dale Jr.?

She hasn't.

Bernie running just caused you to assert differences between them that don't exist and since you were making specific falsifiable claims you started getting corrected after he started running.

You knowing a poo poo ton more about her is a change in you, not in her. As an example, without googling please list 5 items you think represent her "turning left" in response to Bernie. Post them. Then pull up your browser and for each one look for efforts on that front that predate Bernie.

I'll pop back after work and do the second part for you if you like.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

Yep, this is literally the woman who was present in Walmart executive level anti-union meetings and didn't say a drat thing. lol if you expect HRC to do even as much as Obama has (very little ) w/r/t labor rights

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And you base this all on, what exactly?

:allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Yep, this is literally the woman who was present in Walmart executive level anti-union meetings and didn't say a drat thing. lol if you expect HRC to do even as much as Obama has (very little ) w/r/t labor rights

Pretty sure the thread already had the "why Hillary did what she did while on Walmart's board" discussion a couple hundred pages ago.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Discussion? More like excuse.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pretty sure the thread already had the "why Hillary did what she did while on Walmart's board" discussion a couple hundred pages ago.

maybe so, but it's still a pretty valid point/worth of discussion regarding Hillary and labor unions, don't you think?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Her idea of being "not just broke, but in debt" is coming out of the white house. Did everyone forget that quote? I feel like she's probably not in touch with the lower class as much as she claims, since a ton of her money comes from banks and corporations.

Hillary Rodham Clinton posted:

"You have no reason to remember, but we came out of the White House not only dead broke, but in debt," Clinton said. "We had no money when we got there, and we struggled to piece together the resources for mortgages for houses, for Chelsea's education. It was not easy. Bill has worked really hard. And it's been amazing to me. He's worked very hard."

"We almost had to not own multiple houses and pay for our daughter to go to Stanford! WE WERE DEAD BROKE!"

She has no idea what dead broke is.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Litany Unheard posted:

I don't believe we have. There was some white dude I saw on CNN or something saying that Obama should apologize for slavery. Apparently it would be extra meaningful if the first black President was the first US President to officially apologize for the enslavement of people who look like him?

Just to play devil's advocate, I think Obama is not descended from slaves and may actually be descended from slave owners on his mother's side, or at least from people who benefitted from the institution, so he has at least some reason to apologize. Less reason, since he experienced a lot of the same disadvantages being descended from slave would give you anyway. But yeah someone saying he should apologize because it would be "extra special" coming from a black man is some next level trolling.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Her idea of being "not just broke, but in debt" is coming out of the white house. Did everyone forget that quote? I feel like she's probably not in touch with the lower class as much as she claims, since a ton of her money comes from banks and corporations.

"We almost had to not own multiple houses and pay for our daughter to go to Stanford! WE WERE DEAD BROKE!"

That was taken wildly out of context.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Veskit posted:

Does Bernie have any specific minority policies or are they all general policies that end up benefiting minorities disproportionately to white people/ect.

No.

And he gets huffy if you ask him to talk about "demographic stuff" insisting its a distraction from a purely economic based approach and that the minority groups with specific issues should want to talk about instead ... since they are the most effected ... and concluding that it is the minorities job to learn more about his platform to properly appreciate him.

Truly this man is a collaborating coalition builder.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

GreyPowerVan posted:

The word "houses" really is quite something in that quote.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What context is there for her claiming to be dead broke? Just curious. I'm wondering on what circumstances a rich person who is sending their kid to one of the most expensive Universities and owns multiple houses can claim to be dead broke.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

This is absolutely someone I would expect to be a champion of labor unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Junior G-man posted:

The word "houses" really is quite something in that quote.

No, no, you see, it was taken out of context. It's, I can't believe I have to say this, it's not at all what you think it is. She had a very, indeed an extremely, good reason to say that.

• Locked thread