Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

NotWearingPants posted:

On Malinovka last night I had a team that was mostly yellow with a few oranges against a team of like 6 greens and the rest yellow. I said "theoretically this is winnable" in chat as a challenge to my team, but didn't really believe it. But me (T-37) and a T-54 scouted the gently caress out of it, ended up with 8.5k assisted damage between us, and we crushed them.

edit: to continue the light tank techniques convo, there are map specific youtube scouting videos for a lot of maps. They may not all be great, but sometimes you learn of a good spot you didn't know about.

One of the cool things about the Bulldog is that neither gun is clearly better than the other, so if you like autoloaders, use that. If you don't like autloaders, the other gun is just as good.

They nerfed the single-shot so it's DPM is not that great. That, and the weak ammo rack means it's not nearly as viable as it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

They nerfed the single-shot so it's DPM is not that great. That, and the weak ammo rack means it's not nearly as viable as it used to be.

Oh, I did not know that. Thanks for the correction.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Xerxes17 posted:

I've been away playing better games, so why is the IS-6 so good now?

That driver's hatch on the upper front plate that used to be a weakspot is now thicker than the rest of the front hull, and the turret face isn't as weak. Totally unnecessary buff.

NotWearingPants posted:

One of the cool things about the Bulldog is that neither gun is clearly better than the other, so if you like autoloaders, use that. If you don't like autloaders, the other gun is just as good.

Nooooooo they nerfed the single shot gun into the ground. I thought it was 3.3s reload on the single shot gun before the nerf, but tanks.gg says it's 4.03s reload now which is comically terrible for 150 alpha when the autoloader gets ten shots with 2s between them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just had a tier 5 battle where a random Locust and me in a BT-7 did almost as much damage between the two of us (about 1,7k) than the entire rest of the team combined.

I mean it's not like this poo poo even surprises me at this point, and I'm not even upset because I still had fun zooming around like a lunatic plinking at things, and I've ceased really caring about winning a long time ago.

But seriously though, a Locust and a BT-7. And I don't even have a fully trained crew in the drat thing.

EDIT: And the enemy team only had a few guys carrying them too, mainly an S35 CA and a BDR. A full two thirds of their team managed to do zero or double digit damage.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 28, 2016

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
So this is a thing on Console tanks now

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

2 tier 8s, a tier 7 light, and 12 tier 6s per side. Guess how their tier 8s did? If you guess poorly -

Their Type 62 shot me once and died as I shotgunned them twice in the face.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

primelaw posted:

So this is a thing on Console tanks now

Meanwhile on PC they can't commit to just putting the drat thing in the game one way or another. If they really want the super conqueror bad enough they can change the tech trees later. It's better than sitting on new content that's fully modeled and ready for like a year at this point.

WG wonders why they're hemorrhaging players. When it took them two years to replace the 4202 and now this with the Chieftain, combined with recent insulting buffs to already over-performing premiums that wreck the game even more and prove they don't play or understand their own game.

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
Ren, your gif is starting to make the rounds:

https://twitter.com/SirCircon/status/781101777613623296

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Totally stupid question here, but are there some good videos of good platooning in action?

Reason I ask is that I've warmed up to the "platooning," thing (after a million years of playing this game on and off); I finally have a decent headset w/mic, had a pretty good time joining up in the random platoons with random folks that are common at start of game but feel like I could have done a better job at things. I know that experience is the best teacher, but I'd like to shortcut that as much as possible.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
https://ritastatusreport.live/2016/09/28/supertest-japanese-heavy-changes/#more-21242

hmmmmm

Probably won't make them *good*, but the type 5 having thicker armor without such glaring weakpoints will go a long way.

Also a tier 10 comedy derp option :getin:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Maimgara posted:

Ren, your gif is starting to make the rounds:

https://twitter.com/SirCircon/status/781101777613623296

im a content creator irl

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Steelion posted:

quote:

152.4 High-Explosive Common Type 4 HE

152.4 caliber
30-50 pen
975-1625 dmg
3.66 splash radius

:sterv:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Too bad overmatch doesn't work with HE.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Steelion posted:

https://ritastatusreport.live/2016/09/28/supertest-japanese-heavy-changes/#more-21242

hmmmmm

Probably won't make them *good*, but the type 5 having thicker armor without such glaring weakpoints will go a long way.

Lol gold HE where the shell is literally 'pay more money, deal more damage' is loving terrible Wargaming.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Doesn't the FV183 have a pretty workable HE shell? At least pre-nerf on it, no idea what is going on with that now, but I've been nailed by one and lost a ton of health.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the HESH shells are ordinary HE as far as the game's concerned and shows up like so in damage logs.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Steelion posted:

hmmmmm

Oh my loving god.
I might actually buy the Type 4 heavy and cram my 2-skill O-I crew in there

:fap:

Wait, gently caress, that's gonna be an additional, unlockable gun, and the 1650 dmg HE round is gold? I kinda misread that...might still be funny.
What would a 152.4mm premium round cost me at tier 9? 6800 or something?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 28, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Doesn't the FV183 have a pretty workable HE shell? At least pre-nerf on it, no idea what is going on with that now, but I've been nailed by one and lost a ton of health.

The 183 gets a 1950 alpha HESH shell. The Type 5's suggested gun is 1000/1300 alpha. The difference is that the 183 gets 230 pen (which is garbage against tier tens and good enough to ruin the days of tier eight and nines) and the Japanese HE shell would get 40 pen.

Actually that has to be an error right? The previewed gun has a pen of 30-50. The loving M4's 105mm HE has an average pen of 53! HE stops working when your pen is too low, I can't imagine that 40 pen HE would do a loving thing to anything with armor, no matter the alpha. I already get 400 damage rolls with the 183's HESH on slightly angled armor (like an E5 lower plate) so I can't imagine the Japanese gun would accomplish much except make tier eight lights unhappier.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Hellsau posted:

Actually that has to be an error right? The previewed gun has a pen of 30-50. The loving M4's 105mm HE has an average pen of 53! HE stops working when your pen is too low, I can't imagine that 40 pen HE would do a loving thing to anything with armor, no matter the alpha.

Maybe not, the only 15cm Japanese howitzer that I know was used in a vehicle mount was the Type 38, which was quite stubby, and the 105 on the Sherman, for instance, had a muzzle velocity 60% greater.

I guess doing 450 damage to poo poo without having to aim at all has its uses.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

I guess doing 450 damage to poo poo without having to aim at all has its uses.

I'm not sure you understand how derp guns work - they're generally comically inaccurate, with long aiming times. Only #snapshotmeta makes using them a viable option.

but goddamn is it funny to snapshot some poor gently caress at 500 meters with the 183.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
"Aim for weakspots" I mean. Just apply to whatever surface is convenient and back away.

And those snapshots are, ah, distressingly common on console with the unnerfed HESH pen and the different dispersion RNG (and the autoaim snap-to-target).

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 28, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

"Aim for weakspots" I mean. Just apply to whatever surface is convenient and back away.

And those snapshots are, ah, distressingly common on console with the unnerfed HESH pen and the different dispersion RNG (and the autoaim snap-to-target).

WAIT WHAT?! Get the pubbies ready for me, A.Risk and Primelaw, I'm coming to terrorize the Console players!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Is HE damage from derp guns capped at some specific armor thickness or could someone explain to me why a 1650 damage HE round at tier 9-10 would not be a lot more fun than the 950 (850?) damage HE round that I'm lobbing around in the O-Ho at tier 8?

I mean, I roll between 330 and 450 damage against almost every tank except for stupidly-armored tanks like the E3, that I can't really properly damage from the front, unless I hit the cupola (machinegun turret?).

Wouldn't an HE round with much higher damage result in me rolling higher average HE hits and breaking more poo poo?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 28, 2016

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
ran into a g platoon ..them sumbtiches ruining the day all the time, so i switched to west server and got this game https://imgur.com/a/NPUDl 7,8k dmg in t57 was pretty fun west confirmed better

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
HE pen is standardized, it's caliber/2 or very close to that for regular non-arty HE with very few notable exceptions (the German Cold War 90mm used on the Ru 251, Bundesdog, Kanonenjagdpanzer, etc and the T49's 90mm are the biggest outliers, but most T9-10 15 cm class guns also have ~10mm more pen than they "should").

HESH pen is usually equal to caliber but there are weirdos here too, like the Chieftain's L11 gun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is HE damage from derp guns capped at some specific armor thickness or could someone explain to me why a 1650 damage HE round at tier 9-10 would not be a lot more fun than the 950 (850?) damage HE round that I'm lobbing around in the O-Ho at tier 8?

I mean, I roll between 330 and 450 damage against almost every tank except for stupidly-armored tanks like the E3, that I can't really properly damage from the front, unless I hit the cupola (machinegun turret?).

Wouldn't an HE round with much higher damage result in me rolling higher average HE hits and breaking more poo poo?

Low HE pen makes HE stop working at some point. Like, the mechanic ceases to function - if you load HE on the Luchs's 3cm machine gun and shoot something like a WT100 turret, you will either deal full damage or zero damage. You will never deal partial damage. Since Wargaming thinks being opaque about their game mechanics serves some purpose, I can't really be sure, but I'm going to assume that 40 pen HE isn't enough to actually function as a useful HE round against something like a Maus or E5 or whatever. Also, it isn't 1650 damage HE round, it's 1675 maximum damage roll. The average is 1300 for the gold round, 1000 for the regular, which combined with the low pen makes it substantially different from something like the 183's HESH round.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
In an ideal world, HE would scale up on damage to vulnerable components - like taking a 100-130mm HE hit in the tracks on a tank should immobilize things for longer (simulating a bogie or wheel break) than a pop gun managing to break a track.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In an ideal world, HE would scale up on damage to vulnerable components - like taking a 100-130mm HE hit in the tracks on a tank should immobilize things for longer (simulating a bogie or wheel break) than a pop gun managing to break a track.

lol they can't even model HESH as anything more than "big HE" so I don't think they'll be actually changing their failed game mechanic that's been useless for four years.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also, how does the explosion mechanic work with HESH, can't you still aim on the ground under the tank to hit the soft bottom with the explosion instead of aiming for the lower front plate?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zudgemud posted:

Also, how does the explosion mechanic work with HESH, can't you still aim on the ground under the tank to hit the soft bottom with the explosion instead of aiming for the lower front plate?

Technically you could try that, but if you can precisely aim for the exact area below the enemy tank without having it veer into tracks or beyond the enemy tank, you should be able to slam them someone else. Even if you do hit the right spot beneath the enemy you need to hope the HE splash mechanics actually work for you, and that the enemy bottom hull is modelled correctly and that your shell actually has enough splash.

Then again sometimes there's two enemy lights at double digits HP stuck together on a rock and you get yourself a bombardier.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Swedish impressions of the Sherman

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I read that as Swedish Chef impressions of Sherman.

"Der is meny boyenkinders her toden ew lookens on varfightenin ahs all der okie-dokie, vut, boyenkinders, yit is all badenflamens"

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Going to live finals. So if you want, you can watch my nerdy rear end play internet tanks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Good luck duder.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I know you can never underestimate the massive gaping nature of the arseholes in the WoT player base but the shear volume and intensity of the rage from players about artillery and light tanks is amazing. Players alternate between dancing with glee upon a successful kill and smashing their keyboards with thick sweaty impotent fists when they fail. One guy wrote an essay in two parts in all chat about the nature of 'sky cancer' in the game upon the unfortunate untimely demise of my Loyd GC. If I was a thin skinned puritan it might not have made me laugh out loud. Sure arty has game mechanic/play/balance/fun issues but being outplayed by a scout in your massively armoured penis substitute? That CAN NOT STAND!!!! The sight of these guys attempting to focus down the bait while an eager gun line whittles their health down to nothing is utterly gob stopping.

God this game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Saint Celestine posted:

Going to live finals. So if you want, you can watch my nerdy rear end play internet tanks.

Cool. When will that be, and where do you get to go for it?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

the last couple times we had a drunken party watching the WGLNA finals, laughing about how horrendous this game is for viewing, and each time some goon stole my clearly hard earned Type 59, so I guess we could do that again.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Totally stupid question here, but are there some good videos of good platooning in action?

Reason I ask is that I've warmed up to the "platooning," thing (after a million years of playing this game on and off); I finally have a decent headset w/mic, had a pretty good time joining up in the random platoons with random folks that are common at start of game but feel like I could have done a better job at things. I know that experience is the best teacher, but I'd like to shortcut that as much as possible.

Well there are videos of competent players who happen to be platooning, but it's such a mundane thing in this game that you're not really going to find videos that specifically teach you "how to" platoon. Just play with other goons; the in-game "goons" channel, and our Discord server will help you find platoons.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Quickybaby platoons once a week on his stream with a couple guys... not sure what day it is.

Just go to the quickybaby twitch channel and look at his previous streams, skip to halfway through, and see if he's platooning. The dudes he platoons with giggle like little schoolgirls for most of the stream, but they're all competent players.

edit: looks like he platoons on Thurs. Example from yesterday

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Saint Celestine posted:

Good luck. I hope you get to farm all the damage in an E100 in at least one of the matches.