Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Also, as a non-Christian you're probably missing the vastly more significant implications of "Jesus Christ, specifically, was an alien."

Like, Christ isn't just some guy who happened to also be God; he was able to redeem humanity because he was Man and God, able to stand in for us, so to speak. If he was an alien, that either means that salvation was extended a lot more broadly than we thought, or, more disturbingly, that we weren't actually included in that process.

Realizing that maybe God didn't make the universe for us, and we're just second-order creations of his actual children means that we're an accidental, cast-off leftovers -- in other words, we're not actually any better than David (or the mewling, excremental proto-Xenomorph in the stinger). Which is exactly the realization that Shaw is desperately trying to deny at the end of the film.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im an alien

not jesus christ tho, nor yeshua the mad carpenter

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, as a non-Christian you're probably missing the vastly more significant implications of "Jesus Christ, specifically, was an alien."

Like, Christ isn't just some guy who happened to also be God; he was able to redeem humanity because he was Man and God, able to stand in for us, so to speak. If he was an alien, that either means that salvation was extended a lot more broadly than we thought, or, more disturbingly, that we weren't actually included in that process.

A story about religious folks wrestling with that sounds kind of neat actually. You don't know if you're saved, for all you know your place is just to spread his teachings back to his own kind to save them instead. Or maybe you're pointless entirely.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

See, that's just not my reading of the film at all. Shaw's lost her faith but that doesn't mean she's suddenly concerned with a complex theological proposal about aliens, she's concerned about whether humans mean anything to their deadbeat alien dads.

Especially since, to be very clear, Jesus the person was not an alien in Prometheus. The titular metaphorical Prometheus was the guy who drank Death Juice and fell off a waterfall in the intro, seeding our planet for complex alien-derived life, which must have happened prior to the evolution of modern humans.

There's no actual Jesus the Alien scene or event.

E: though a scene where a giant grey alien Jesus is subdued by Roman soldiers as he goes hulk would have been pure gold.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

See, that's just not my reading of the film at all. Shaw's lost her faith but that doesn't mean she's suddenly concerned with a complex theological proposal about aliens, she's concerned about whether humans mean anything to their deadbeat alien dads.

She is, however, extremely upset by and in denial about the thought that she could be anything like David, and expects to get answers about why she was made and the purpose of human existence from the aliens.

She doesn't need to be concerned with Christology specifically for the parallels to work, and if the movie had included literal alien Jesus it would have have still fit in very nicely with the kind of anxieties that Shaw experiences.

Joe Slowboat posted:

E: though a scene where a giant grey alien Jesus is subdued by Roman soldiers as he goes hulk would have been pure gold.

Basically, yeah. People overestimate the level of class and prestige that Prometheus is "supposed" to have when in reality it's basically the inspiration-child of trashy, surreal Italian sci-fi horror.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 2, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I read Shaw really differently than you do, I guess, because I see her and David as similar in that they both recognize that there's a pseudoparental and fundamentally unloving relationship between humanity's creators and humanity, but Shaw wants to understand who the aliens are actually and David just wants to prove that all dad are evil.

Her response to trauma and the loss of faith is to try to help people, his response to his lovely father I s to become a murderer and a rapist. He also gets his head ripped off and only has any chance of learning what he wants to know by her mercy at the end.

David ultimately lost on every conceivable level other than killing his father. Shaw won, because she survived and didn't break. Of course, Shaw is lucky enough to have had the only good parents in the film, and even though she no longer sees her parents as divine and worthy of worship or rebellion (David casts himself as Satan, because Weyland is cast as god... until he meets Bigger God) she still has a good relationship with them.

Edited to add more about Shaw's position as 'not totally traumatized by her father' - her trauma is her father's death, a much less evil failing than 'being abusive to everyone around him.'

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 2, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anybody here reading wilde life? its p wod sometimes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

David ultimately lost on every conceivable level other than killing his father. Shaw won, because she survived and didn't break. Of course, Shaw is lucky enough to have had the only good parents in the film, and even though she no longer sees her parents as divine and worthy of worship or rebellion (David casts himself as Satan, because Weyland is cast as god... until he meets Bigger God) she still has a good relationship with them.

I mean, that's what makes the story beat in Alien: Covenant work: Shaw was a good enough person that eventually she was able to take pity on David despite everything he did to her, and she died for it. Being a good person doesn't stop bad things from happening to you, and Satan gets to luxuriate in his rule over a loveless Hell and nurse his wounded ego.

Covenant suffers somewhat from really obviously being the middle movie in a trilogy that will never be finished, but ultimately I still think it fits into the larger arc of the franchise given that in Alien 1-2-3, Ripley discovers the evil he created, tries to warn everyone, and ultimately sacrifices herself intentionally to save humanity.

And then Resurrection takes a steaming poo poo all over everything but that's Whedon for you.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 2, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is the only take on the engineers im interested in tbh

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

AvP is the product of a mind that looks at rape monsters and asks "but how can I make this more toyetic?"

there's a certain grotesque poetry to this but it's a little too much for me

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Realizing that maybe God didn't make the universe for us, and we're just second-order creations of his actual children means that we're an accidental, cast-off leftovers -- in other words, we're not actually any better than David (or the mewling, excremental proto-Xenomorph in the stinger). Which is exactly the realization that Shaw is desperately trying to deny at the end of the film.

Actually, yes, I missed this. The idea that Christ was a savior of the engineers and we are just some monkeys who happened to be made by them is a really cool idea to play with. I do however feel that's reading it too generously - if God The Father only cared about what happened to the engineers, why did he send his Alien son to die on Earth, at the hands of humans?

Joe Slowboat posted:

Especially since, to be very clear, Jesus the person was not an alien in Prometheus. The titular metaphorical Prometheus was the guy who drank Death Juice and fell off a waterfall in the intro, seeding our planet for complex alien-derived life, which must have happened prior to the evolution of modern humans.

There's no actual Jesus the Alien scene or event.

No, he was. There's a line in the movie about how an engineer visited earth around two thousand years ago, after which the engineers got angry and decided to exterminate humanity. Lindelof has said that in the script before he got to it it was entirely explicit that Jesus was an engineer, but even with the scene as written there's not much else it could have been about. Unless, idk, Caeser was an engineer - but that doesn't fit in with any of the themes Prometheus is playing with.

For the record, I LOVE the Freudian "God is literally your father" concept, and think it fits pretty alright in the movie (which, to be clear, did not at all work for me.) I don't take it literally but I think it's a really neat idea, and if Scott wasn't old and convinced of his own genius he probably could have done something subtle and brilliant with it like he did with Blade Runner.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

Actually, yes, I missed this. The idea that Christ was a savior of the engineers and we are just some monkeys who happened to be made by them is a really cool idea to play with. I do however feel that's reading it too generously - if God The Father only cared about what happened to the engineers, why did he send his Alien son to die on Earth, at the hands of humans?

Well, as I suggested earlier, I think if Scott had got to make a third film in the trilogy it would have ultimately been kinder to human beings than the first two, and even without it that's still the direction the series as a whole takes -- with the ultimate point being that even if we're no better than David or the Engineers, we're no worse either, and Alien Jesus came for all of us.

Just speculation, though.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Ah, yeah, I missed that incredibly bad line.

I still think killing Shaw off between movies is as stupid as killing off Newt and the others was for Aliens: The Series Declines. It absolutely misses that she has far more potential to be interesting as the victor than David does. If David wins, his boring rebellion-by-replicating-the-cycle is all we get. If Shaw wins, we get her AND we get the severed head of David to provide his perspective as he grapples with losing.

But, frankly, Scott seems to just assume that fathers are interesting and mothers must be left out of the story as much as possible, despite the mother figures in the series being vastly more interesting.

E: I thought there was going to be a third? If not, I am well pleased because I don't believe it would have improved anything.
On the other hand I hope they make a BR2079 in 30 years.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I like Alien 3 better than the films that precede it, and Prometheus best of any of them.

I also don't remember that line at all, but it's been a few years.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like Alien 3 better than the films that precede it, and Prometheus best of any of them.

I don't think we're going to agree on much about Scott's oeuvre.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
avp has alexa woods in it tho

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

I don't think we're going to agree on much about Scott's oeuvre.

I also thought that BR 2049 was overlong, sentimental, and obnoxiously obsessed with the self-importance of sad brooding men, while the best parts of it were completely redundant with Blade Runner anyways.

So yeah, probably not. :v:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

sexpig by night posted:

'do random poo poo and then let them make the connections' is good but it has to be done in a controlled situation. Like, you do have to have at least the outline of a plan even if you're letting them fill in the details.

To use an example from my last WoD campaign, it was a Vampire game I ran. I had basically three notes. "Power struggle between the city 'nobility' and hunters", "Task Force Valkyrie is in town to try to depose the prince and install a puppet that will create chaos in vamp society" "There's a mole in the court."

That is a plan, that's a storyline, but I let the players kinda play around in that context. It turned out great, I had a guy I planned on making the traitor if no progress was made, the sheriff who was bitter that the prince has gotten soft and was willing to accept being TFV's puppet if it meant getting a harder hand on the local licks. Again, plan, I had a storyline idea just not the 'how the players get from A to B to C'. Instead the group did some snooping I didn't expect at all (it was basically the joke of your players ignoring an NPC you have stats and a story for in favor of following around some rando bar dude you added for flavor). So rando bar dude became an ex-group brother of the prince who was bitter that his former friend/lover left him behind to 'play the game'. Still a great time, the players were always the focus of the story but I had a general framework to keep things to so they weren't just jerking around.

It still wound up following the three notes, we had a nice epic finale involving the phrase 'I took the stake bullets out of your gun and put them in mine' and lots of over the top drama as fitting a vampire story, and I totally had the 'uuuuh...yes...you've figured my master plan out guys, good job' moment while hastily making up Angry Vampire Ex's stats in case one of them jumped him.

You should, as a GM, especially in a system like WoD, keep things loose, but 'just do random poo poo and see what lines they draw' can lead to a lot of annoyances from the players as they create plot threads you don't resolve and all.

At the risk of veering into territory better-suited for the GM Advice Thread, I want to concur with the above but also emphasize that last sentence - "...can lead to a lot of annoyances from the players as they create plot threads you don't resolve and all."

The issue isn't that "do random poo poo and then let them make the connections" is a bad idea, it's that it's an incomplete one. Do random poo poo and then let them make the connections but then follow up on those connections and use them to build a story with. Throwing poo poo at the wall only works if you actually bother to look and see what sticks, and then use that.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Stay out of Atlanta, folks. When you factor in the Wraith population it has a staggeringly low supernatural:human ratio of 1:558 (rising to 1:5,500 if you count the entire Atlanta metropolitan area, without adding in entries from those adjacent areas to the ratio will actually be lower) and even without it's at 1:2,800 (1:28,000). EDIT: Well, it did, anyway. The massive die-offs of 1997's Blood Plague and the 1999 Sabbat-Camarilla East Coast War and the Great Collapse of the Underworld have probably purged it a lot, as well as the c. 2004 Concordian Civil War.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 2, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually its mostly just shermans doing

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Couple more sans wraiths. Berlin ~1:32,000, Birmingham AL 1:14,000, Black Forest regions 1:28,500, Finland 1:259,000, Haiti 1:161,800, India 1:436,200.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tollymain posted:

avp has alexa woods in it tho

Also the Sled-Ride of Friendship.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Loomer posted:

Stay out of Atlanta, folks. When you factor in the Wraith population it has a staggeringly low supernatural:human ratio of 1:558 (rising to 1:5,500 if you count the entire Atlanta metropolitan area, without adding in entries from those adjacent areas to the ratio will actually be lower) and even without it's at 1:2,800 (1:28,000). EDIT: Well, it did, anyway. The massive die-offs of 1997's Blood Plague and the 1999 Sabbat-Camarilla East Coast War and the Great Collapse of the Underworld have probably purged it a lot, as well as the c. 2004 Concordian Civil War.

Is that the lowest ratio you've found so far? Would be curious to know which place in the oWoD was the most crammed with supernaturals.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The absolute lowest is 1:0 because there's a couple of communities that consist entirely of Garou kinfolk. The lowest not total ratio so far is, I believe, Tryon, North Carolina. Home to 13 mages and 1 Kitsune, the ratio c. 2000 would be 1:125. The single most populated city is Los Angeles, though - some ~320 total including suburbs not including wraiths and with some doubling due to the wartime entries and post-1999 Anarch Free State-Quincunx War displacement. With wraiths, it jumps to about 326. Ratio though is only ~1:10,500 local LA only or 1:35,000 LA megapolis.

Edit 2:
Now that I have the datasets all but finalized I can go to stage 2 of the pop ratio line of inquiry, where rather than doing them on the fly each time (hence why they sometimes vary from post to post) I settle on a population value (I believe using information from 2000 where available is preferable outside of specifix contexts, as it falls squarely in the middle of the 'cemented' oWoD run (roughly 1995 to 2004 - first edition and early second edition weirdness is mostly done by then)) and plug it directly into the spreadsheets, along with an output option for the relative depicted proportions of supernaturals to each other and to humans within a location and a date filter to gate out stuff like the hundred+ khan who died in India before 1957 where desired. Most of the values so far are kind of 'maximum 20th century' because I haven't set that up fully yet, so they might include someone who died in 1931 right next to someone who was born in 1980 for ratio purposes.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 2, 2018

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I also thought that BR 2049 was overlong, sentimental, and obnoxiously obsessed with the self-importance of sad brooding men, while the best parts of it were completely redundant with Blade Runner anyways.

So yeah, probably not. :v:

we may disagree about the alien movies, but we agree about this at least

although i didn't think it was terrible, just that it didn't really have a reason to exist. loving gorgeous, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Basically, yeah. People overestimate the level of class and prestige that Prometheus is "supposed" to have when in reality it's basically the inspiration-child of trashy, surreal Italian sci-fi horror.
Everything about this suddenly makes so much more sense to me, because I've been suppressing the desire to say "that all sounds really, really dumb somehow" for a while now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Restricted by a low budget, Bava was unable to utilize opticals, so all of the film's extensive visual effects work were done "in camera". Miniatures and forced perspective visuals are used throughout, with lots of colored fog adding atmosphere but also obscuring the sheer cheapness of the sets.[6] Bava explained: "Do you know what that unknown planet was made of? A couple of plastic rocks — yes, two: one and one! — left over from a mythological movie made at Cinecittà! To assist the illusion, I filled the set with smoke."[7] According to Tim Lucas, the two plastic rocks were multiplied in several shots by mirrors and multiple exposures. The planet's exterior sequences were filmed on an empty stage obscured by mists, table top miniatures and Schüfftan process shots.[7]
lmao this owns

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I feel like I've derailed things enough about Prometheus so I'm going to not make my case for BR2049 unless there's actual interest, but suffice it to say I think it has a lot of depth as well as being extremely pretty, though it is of course not perfect.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

I feel like I've derailed things enough about Prometheus so I'm going to not make my case for BR2049 unless there's actual interest, but suffice it to say I think it has a lot of depth as well as being extremely pretty, though it is of course not perfect.

I actually was gonna message you about this stuff rather than talk Prometheus here when this whole thing started, but you don't have PMs.

At any rate I really respect your analysis of Mage and would be interested in hearing what you have to say; much as I disliked BR2049 it's not on my "never watch again" list or anything.

I'm Tuxedo Catfish#1344 on Discord, if that works better than here.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Discord, if that works better than here.

I'll shoot you a DM on there; I just haven't taken the time to figure out anything but posting on SA, so Discord's simpler for me.
Right, I should add, I'm on there as Son of Silk and Stone, which attests to my embarrassing love of Exalted.

e: for the record BR2049 is also a Promethean story, but I don't think Blade Runner is.

ee: to help things get back on track, I may need to flesh out a particular court* of spirits that my Thyrsus player accidentally created. The ruling spirit is a weird mutant (a secrecy-spirit that effectively got drenched in the radioactive resonance of a Bound God and the bindings thereon, and has become a spirit defined by blood sacrifice, secrecy, and service to the Nemesis) but the choir in general are only somewhat tainted by blood and chains, rather than being magath. I've mostly populated the choir with bloody hands murder spirits and more secret spirits, but I would love more examples of emotional or human-associated spirit types that might flesh it out. My impression is that spirits by default gang up in choirs by their general family, so it would be most natural to have vaguely humanoid spirits thronging around Hooded Blasphemy and Coils, Archimandrite of the Red Nightmare (that being the court name). Any fun canon or custom spirits that could get in on this?

*I might have the term wrong.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 2, 2018

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Werewolf History is an oral tradition.

...I keep thinking about what would happen if you deliberately scrambled a generation of Garau by feeding them any other narrative than the Luna/Father Wolf one.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Crasical posted:

Werewolf History is an oral tradition.

...I keep thinking about what would happen if you deliberately scrambled a generation of Garau by feeding them any other narrative than the Luna/Father Wolf one.

Luna still communicates with the Forsaken in various ways. The only way to stop that is by removing their auspices and then you get the Pure.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Garou are oWoD and Uratha are nWoD.

Also, the werewolves do adapt their beliefs to fit their own cultures - you can see it in the Dark Eras stuff about werewolves, where the Father Wolf mythology gets reinterpreted in various ways while retaining the core.

The core is retained because the tribes are in literal contact with spirits that were present at the event.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Werewolf plot idea: the lost library of the Iron Masters lodge of "people who decided we should really maybe write this stuff down after all", including comparative analysis of the fallibility of spirit memory and how their explanation of events has differed over the centuries (even as told by the exact same spirit).

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 4, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bewilderment posted:

Werewolf plot idea: the lost library of the Iron Masters lodge of "people who decided we should really maybe write this stuff down after all", including comparative analysis of the fallibility of spirit memory and how their explanation of events has different over the centuries (even as told by the exact same spirit).
The cruel lair of Zi-Zek, where honest spirits of Enigma and Mystery are systematically tormented and reforged into twisted things of Ideology and Unitary Critical Perspective.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So what would people here suggest for a game to be a group's first introduction to the nWoD/CoD games? Also how do people suggest trying to come up with a plot?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Mortals or vampire are the most straight forward, vampire comes with the added bonus of having a powerful person force the group together for a mission too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I tried to do Mage for both me and my players first foray into nWod. My players loved it but it was extremely stressful for me to run it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nessus posted:

The cruel lair of Zi-Zek, where honest spirits of Enigma and Mystery are systematically tormented and reforged into twisted things of Ideology and Unitary Critical Perspective.
Zizek is 100% a mage and I'm using a very thinly disguised expy of him as a character in my own campaign as basically an old Free Council guy who is perfectly happy to help explain the plot to you as long as you can deal with his bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7CYDTSDjA0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Zizek is a Free Council Scelestus