Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also a Mutant Mayhem series has been confirmed as well as a sequel:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mutant-mayhem-sequel-paramount-plus-streaming-series-coming-1235679837/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man that's a big called shot. I mean I get that TMNT is a popular brand but still...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The showrunner is apparently Chris Yost from the 2003 series

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

The showrunner is apparently Chris Yost from the 2003 series

Huh! That Chris Yost sure gets around! On top of that he was head writer in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, did scripts for the Thor movies, and wrote one of my favorite comics, a 25 issue run of Scarlet Spider where Kaine, Peter Parker's evil clone from the 90s, got cured of being psycho evil and is trying to deal with moving to Austin, TX and be somewhere close to a decent person and sometimes superhero.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I remember the original run of Avengers: EMH being pretty fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Darth Walrus posted:

Please state the nature of the planetary emergency.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Please state the nature of the planetary emergency.

ITS FUKKIN THANOS OR SOME poo poo HELP

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

nine-gear crow posted:

ITS FUKKIN THANOS OR SOME poo poo HELP

Yelling about it won't help, I'm a hero, not a hearing aid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

The first season was amazing. Then Jeph Loeb took over and thought kids were too stupid for serialized stories so they just dropped all the plot threads, went completely episodic and nobody cared.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TwoPair posted:

Man that's a big called shot. I mean I get that TMNT is a popular brand but still...

TMNT is like Transformers, it's been ongoing nonstop since the 80s in some form or another, even if the movie doesn't do great it'd be silly not to keep the momentum up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dawgstar posted:

The first season was amazing. Then Jeph Loeb took over and thought kids were too stupid for serialized stories so they just dropped all the plot threads, went completely episodic and nobody cared.

I think most of Season 2 was still decent quality. But then the show was killed for no reason to be replaced with another show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

TMNT is like Transformers, it's been ongoing nonstop since the 80s in some form or another, even if the movie doesn't do great it'd be silly not to keep the momentum up.

Considering the buzz around it that's been building up for months, I don't imagine Mutant Mayhem flopping. Probably won't do Barbie or even Spider-Verse numbers, but enough to keep the lights on at Paramount for maybe another few months and save them from erasing another few more TV shows from Paramount+ for another tax write off life preserver.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think most of Season 2 was still decent quality. But then the show was killed for no reason to be replaced with another show.

My main complaint is they were setting up for Surtur and going full Walt Simonson but Loeb made them stop.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Both of them benefit from real easy high-concepts to build around and an arsenal of characters to play with.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, you're not wrong but I meant in the sense that they're already greenlighting a sequel series and movie for this one specific Turtles rebrand is big, rather than doing another style/reboot. Like, while the Transformers movies were coming out (hell I guess they still are even if Michael Bay's no longer doing them, all the Transformers look the same) there were Transformer cartoons on but they were never trying to be the same as the movies, much less be set in between the movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I mean, you're not wrong but I meant in the sense that they're already greenlighting a sequel series and movie for this one specific Turtles rebrand is big, rather than doing another style/reboot. Like, while the Transformers movies were coming out (hell I guess they still are even if Michael Bay's no longer doing them, all the Transformers look the same) there were Transformer cartoons on but they were never trying to be the same as the movies, much less be set in between the movies.

You'd be surprised, and there's been adaptations of movies better received than the movies themselves. (Godzilla The Series, and arguably the Clone Wars. Both of em) It's not necessarily likely the series will use the same animation style, certainly not to the same quality standard, though I wouldn't be surprised if the movie was essentially a pilot for it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The new movie looks good, but I'm a little bummed we won't ever get any more of Rise of the TMNT. That show was great, and its Netflix movie ruled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd be surprised, and there's been adaptations of movies better received than the movies themselves. (Godzilla The Series, and arguably the Clone Wars. Both of em) It's not necessarily likely the series will use the same animation style, certainly not to the same quality standard, though I wouldn't be surprised if the movie was essentially a pilot for it.

Men in Black too, maybe? Although since the first movie was a success maybe that one's better likened to early The Real Ghostbusters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

Men in Black too, maybe? Although since the first movie was a success maybe that one's better likened to early The Real Ghostbusters.

The same team made Extreme Ghostbusters better than it had any right to be too. And Jackie Chan Adventures is basically the one celebrity adventure cartoon that was actually good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In this week’s Superman the show takes a bit of a darker turn as Jimmy goes it alone in his investigation after being neglected by Lois and Clark due to their own drama and gets abducted. Meanwhile, Lois takes wild risks like handcuffing herself to Clark and jumping off roofs to prompt him into coming clean, and when he does they argue and Lois calls time out on their romance

Also the first 3 episodes of Harley Quinn Season 4 are out

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lois going full Seto Kaiba at Duelist Kingdom got a huge pop out of me. This is great stuff

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, this Lois got surprisingly hardcore here, at least compared to the versions I remember from the original animated series and the classic Reeves movies. The General is her dad, isn't he?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Jimmy is abducted by Gorilla Grodd, I'm guessing? Or they have a bromance, who knows. I rather enjoy effete Deathstroke and I like hearing Debra Wilson show up in unexpected places.

On the production side of things did anyone else feel that the audio was out of sync this episode? It was off by a few milliseconds but I notice that stuff immediately. Also not sure if it was a stylistic choice or not but at least one background image looked like it hadn't been painted in and was just linework. Nothing really to get worked up over since it's very obvious where the episode's budget went and that stuff was great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, aside from maybe the current incarnation from the comics I think MAWS probably has the best Lois I’ve seen so far

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One thing I like about this new series is just how 'grounded' (for lack of a better word) everyone seems to be, at least compared to other superhero properties. Superman aside, the fact that everyone we've seen so far seems to be running with stolen Kryptonian (I mean, that's got to be it, right?) tech instead of more supernatural powers is an element I never thought I'd notice, much less like. Makes the world feel more 'real'- again, for lack of a better word. I do wonder if they're going to include more explicitly supernatural characters, though, or if they're going to introduce characters like Wonder Woman and Zatanna as having some kind of technological basis for their supposed magical powers and/or supernatural origins.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

One thing I like about this new series is just how 'grounded' (for lack of a better word) everyone seems to be, at least compared to other superhero properties. Superman aside, the fact that everyone we've seen so far seems to be running with stolen Kryptonian (I mean, that's got to be it, right?) tech instead of more supernatural powers is an element I never thought I'd notice, much less like. Makes the world feel more 'real'- again, for lack of a better word. I do wonder if they're going to include more explicitly supernatural characters, though, or if they're going to introduce characters like Wonder Woman and Zatanna as having some kind of technological basis for their supposed magical powers and/or supernatural origins.

They’re already introducing some villains from outside Superman’s usual wheelhouse so depending on how long the show lasts for I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually introduce some other heroes as well (Supergirl’s already been confirmed at least)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Arc Hammer posted:

So Jimmy is abducted by Gorilla Grodd, I'm guessing? Or they have a bromance, who knows. I rather enjoy effete Deathstroke and I like hearing Debra Wilson show up in unexpected places.

On the production side of things did anyone else feel that the audio was out of sync this episode? It was off by a few milliseconds but I notice that stuff immediately. Also not sure if it was a stylistic choice or not but at least one background image looked like it hadn't been painted in and was just linework. Nothing really to get worked up over since it's very obvious where the episode's budget went and that stuff was great.

I think it's Monsieur Mallah.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I do like the 'grounded' feel, totally gives the vibes that this is a "young" DC universe that's just starting to see superhero stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also a road sign for Blüdhaven so Gotham isn't very far away either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If Batman shows up eventually I kind of want them to bring back Diedrich Bader to voice him

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So my guess is that next episode Lois and Clark are all pissy with each other but then they realize they screwed over Jimmy ao they go to rescue him and maybe patch things up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m hoping Jimmy learns Clark’s secret soon too so the trio can be properly assembled

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The preview for the next episode makes it clearer and also has the best stinger like everyone
https://twitter.com/swimpedia/status/1684784183166541824?t=SMBRyu86yKA-ouBZ5smpFA&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

I think it's Monsieur Mallah.

It is, yes (though he and Grodd are partners sometimes so there's still a chance the latter could show up eventually)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arc Hammer posted:

So my guess is that next episode Lois and Clark are all pissy with each other but then they realize they screwed over Jimmy ao they go to rescue him and maybe patch things up.

Larryb posted:

I’m hoping Jimmy learns Clark’s secret soon too so the trio can be properly assembled

:same: on both counts.

Larryb posted:

It is, yes (though he and Grodd are partners sometimes so there's still a chance the latter could show up eventually)

I'm not sure how you can have one without the other, especially when you have one empowered half of the two already.

That said, I do hope that one thing we see more of in this show and any future DC property are villains becoming heroes; I really liked it when Harley Quinn joined the Bat-Family in her show, and I hope they do something like that here. This might be a more Batman thing than Superman, but I always thought Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy never really should've been made villainous. Antiheroes, perhaps, but not villains.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also let me reiterate that this might be my favorite version of Lois so far, girl’s badass AF for just causally plunging off a building to force Clark to come clean

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 29, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Please, MJ's water clone did that way back in the 90s Spiderman show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Please, MJ's water clone did that way back in the 90s Spiderman show.

90s Spider-Man is like the one Spider-Man media property that ever came close to fully encapsulating the absolute insanity of the Spider-Man comics and all their bullshit plot turns. If it'd existed at the time, it probably would have adapted One More Day and played it 100% straight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

90s Spider-Man is like the one Spider-Man media property that ever came close to fully encapsulating the absolute insanity of the Spider-Man comics and all their bullshit plot turns. If it'd existed at the time, it probably would have adapted One More Day and played it 100% straight.

Which is impressive as it was also the version that to my knowledge didn’t allow him to physically hit anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I thought that was the 60s one.