Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What software should I use to play Blu-ray movies on my Mac? I already have the drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I tried to install windows 8 using bootcamp. it made the usb, it boots to the usb, and then it won't install because it's a gpt partition.

I deleted the partition and made a new one and it still wouldn't.

It won't let me go into bootcamp assistant now and delete all of that to start over again

halp

via
Dec 14, 2013
Does anyone know how to schedule a task where the Mac connects to a Bluetooth speaker at a certain time? This is the only way I can think of getting around my Sony speaker's auto power off. I want to use it as an alarm clock.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The missus is an organisational mess when it comes to computers. She likes to have as much as possible in the dock and the dock should preferably take up 10 percent of the screen. Is there a way for her to have her own setup and still have access to our files in the default account?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there an inbuilt view in OSX for remote BT device battery levels? My iPhone can tell me how much juice is left in my BT headphones but I can't find anything in OSX to do the same. It's pretty useful, as the extent of battery life metering I have on the headset is how many times a light flashes which can be a bit vague.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there an inbuilt view in OSX for remote BT device battery levels? My iPhone can tell me how much juice is left in my BT headphones but I can't find anything in OSX to do the same. It's pretty useful, as the extent of battery life metering I have on the headset is how many times a light flashes which can be a bit vague.

If you go to the BT icon in your menubar you will get battery levels for some devices. It may be all devices but I can't verify since I only have Apple peripherals connected via BT right now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 18, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's where I was expecting it to be, your post reminds me I get the BT %age levels when I have my mouse and keyboard connected to my iMac but I'm on my MBA at the moment and nothing other than a Disconnect and Sound Prefs for my headphones. Even with Option held I get some more (quite useful) info, but not battery. How odd, maybe it's down to the BT chip in my Air not supporting it as it's a 2011 model while my iPhone is a 6. Not a massive deal, but sometimes useful when you're in the middle of a battery and not sure if you're closer to full or empty.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a 2011 MBA behind me now, I'll have to check to see if it does the battery level thing or not.

e: I get the percentage on the MBA as well, but it's an Apple mouse so they may just be designed to work together. Don't have a pair of BT headphones at work I could try, unfortunately :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for checking. I just connected my BT mouse and I get battery levels, so just be on a per device level. When my iMac is up and running I'll check on that too, but given its a 2010 it'll likely have an even older BT chip so I'm expecting the same results. Next time I'm near a current model, I'll have to check out of curiosity.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

The missus is an organisational mess when it comes to computers. She likes to have as much as possible in the dock and the dock should preferably take up 10 percent of the screen. Is there a way for her to have her own setup and still have access to our files in the default account?

Why not make a profile for her but set all the existing folder permissions to both of your accounts so that she can just browse stuff in Finder?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Shaocaholica posted:

What software should I use to play Blu-ray movies on my Mac? I already have the drive.

FWIW, http://www.macblurayplayer.com/ is working fine for me so far. I'm using it with the Samsung SE-506CB drive. I haven't used it much yet, but I'll drop it here as a data point and maybe more people will have some other comments.

One niggle I noticed when playing the first few minutes of The Castle of Cagliostro is that there were two subtitle tracks labelled "English". Maybe one of those is English for the hearing impaired, or some other variant... anyway some sort of descriptive metadata is being dropped there. Some quick googling seems to show this is a common issue with movie player software.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

tuyop posted:

Why not make a profile for her but set all the existing folder permissions to both of your accounts so that she can just browse stuff in Finder?
That seems to work perfectly, thanks! The fastest way to do this is to right click on folders and "Get info" right? I've been a Windows boy all my life, so I'm just trying to learn how to do these things the right way.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Xabi posted:

That seems to work perfectly, thanks! The fastest way to do this is to right click on folders and "Get info" right? I've been a Windows boy all my life, so I'm just trying to learn how to do these things the right way.
It can be simple or more extensive depending what you want to do. I read a thread elsewhere a little while back with a useful method but need to dig around a bit to find it first.

Here we go:
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=28179303#p28179303

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 18, 2016

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am running 10.11.3 and have a Synology NAS. I have been accessing my files by pressing CMD + K then using smb://. I have two questions I guess:

- I used SMB because I used it for my Windows Home Server. I've never thought about whether it's still the most appropriate protocol since I don't really know what else there is - should I use something different?

- Taking my laptop around with me, I leave my LAN and lose access to the shares, which disconnect. Is there an easier way to access them again than by pressing CMD + K again and selecting which to mount? Like a shortcut that will make it connect again.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Anjow posted:

I am running 10.11.3 and have a Synology NAS. I have been accessing my files by pressing CMD + K then using smb://. I have two questions I guess:

- I used SMB because I used it for my Windows Home Server. I've never thought about whether it's still the most appropriate protocol since I don't really know what else there is - should I use something different?

- Taking my laptop around with me, I leave my LAN and lose access to the shares, which disconnect. Is there an easier way to access them again than by pressing CMD + K again and selecting which to mount? Like a shortcut that will make it connect again.

The NAS should be showing up in your Finder sidebar when you're on your network. Maybe check your Finder sidebar prefs? But even if that doesn't work, you can make an alias to the NAS (or any folder on it) and opening that should cause your computer to connect.

I'm using AFP with my Synology NAS (the Synology control panel just labels this "Mac File Service") because I was getting random trouble with SMB from time to time. But that was a while back and I haven't tried since, so maybe it's fixed. Regardless, if SMB is working fine for you there's no reason to change it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xabi posted:

have as much as possible in the dock and the dock should preferably take up 10 percent of the screen.

Please don't make fun of my Mac desktop strategy.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 21, 2016

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Scanned the OP didnt see anything-

I am trying to get an install.dmg to make a USB installer of an older version of Mac OS X to retro-refurbish my partners ancient macbook - specifically Os X 10.4.9. Apple no longer offers the download and all the links/resources I am finding online are out of order. Does anyone know of a particular resource for these?

Or- on the off chance- someone just has a an installer of Tiger (mentioned above) or Lion 10.7.5 (apparently the max the macbook can handle) I could get from them somehow?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks for checking. I just connected my BT mouse and I get battery levels, so just be on a per device level. When my iMac is up and running I'll check on that too, but given its a 2010 it'll likely have an even older BT chip so I'm expecting the same results. Next time I'm near a current model, I'll have to check out of curiosity.

I suspect you're chasing a red herring about the chip age. Based on general principles the BT chip should act as a conduit rather than actively interpreting data -- it doesn't know whether the data coming from a device is a keypress, or a mouse movement, or battery gauge info, it just has to pass it on to the OS which will interpret things. This is more likely to be OS X not reporting battery gauge info for all BT devices (might only bother with Apple brand devices, or whatever).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jacobin posted:

Scanned the OP didnt see anything-

I am trying to get an install.dmg to make a USB installer of an older version of Mac OS X to retro-refurbish my partners ancient macbook - specifically Os X 10.4.9. Apple no longer offers the download and all the links/resources I am finding online are out of order. Does anyone know of a particular resource for these?

Or- on the off chance- someone just has a an installer of Tiger (mentioned above) or Lion 10.7.5 (apparently the max the macbook can handle) I could get from them somehow?

IIRC 10.7 was the first digital download version. Before that, you had to buy a disc in a retail packaged box. So it's not that they took the 10.4.9 download away, it never existed in the first place.

You can buy 10.7 from here:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

What you get for your :10bux: :10bux: is a Mac App Store redemption code, so you'll need something running a current-enough version of OS X to have the App Store in order to download the installer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BobHoward posted:

This is more likely to be OS X not reporting battery gauge info for all BT devices (might only bother with Apple brand devices, or whatever).

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I thought maybe because my phone does it maybe it's a chip age thing, but must be down to those inconsistencies between OS teams. No massive deal really, at the end of the day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I meant to say that I checked my Motorola S305 headset and it also doesn't report battery. This is on a 2014 rMBP so if it were a chipset thing this mac would be pretty recent with regards to technology. Guess it's a device by device thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for checking further, appreciate it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is DaisyDisk good? Contemplating a purchase. Anyone know?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Feenix posted:

I use it all the time. Worth the $10 to me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Cool, it's like $6.49 with a special discount through WALTR/Softorino, so I think I'm in. :)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah I meant to say that I checked my Motorola S305 headset and it also doesn't report battery. This is on a 2014 rMBP so if it were a chipset thing this mac would be pretty recent with regards to technology. Guess it's a device by device thing.

Battery levels is a Bluetooth 4.0 thing. So any MacBooks or iMacs made in the last 2 or 3 years will have BT 4.0, but not all your devices will. Even something sold recently might use an older BT chipset since I think 4.0 is backwards compatible with earlier versions.

I have a set of headphones that shows battery level on my iPhone. I'm pretty sure I saw it on my MBP also, but I can't remember since I almost never use them on my MacBook.

EDIT:

I forgot I had DaisyDisk and just pulled it up to notice 10% of my SSD is Chrome because Google is inexplicably saving 14 different versions of their browser inside the app contents.

So yeah, DaisyDisk is worth the money.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 23, 2016

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Remember Kostume? It added effects to your camera which were visible in all applications. It actually created a separate device you would select to get the effects.

As far as I know, development has stopped and it doesn't work with modern OSX. Is there an alternative?

Is there a similar app for audio from your microphone? I'd like to be able to had stupid effects to my mic input and have it work in any application, like CS:Go for example.

This is a really nerdy thing I want to do.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

decypher posted:

Remember Kostume? It added effects to your camera which were visible in all applications. It actually created a separate device you would select to get the effects.

As far as I know, development has stopped and it doesn't work with modern OSX. Is there an alternative?

iGlasses is probably close to what you're looking for.

No idea for audio other than to loop it through SoundFlower and maybe apply some processing through that.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Feenix posted:

An alternative, Omni Disk Sweeper, is free: https://www.omnigroup.com/more

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo OmniWeb is still alive?

I remember using that in the NeXTStep days..

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Pretty sure they stopped omniweb development a while ago, but it was surprising it lasted so long.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

vtlock posted:

An alternative, Omni Disk Sweeper, is free: https://www.omnigroup.com/more

Omni Disk Sweeper works just fine but I still shelled out the :10bux: for Daisy Disk because of the pretty graphs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cyne posted:

Omni Disk Sweeper works just fine but I still shelled out the :10bux: for Daisy Disk because of the pretty graphs.

Plus a couple updates ago, Daisy Disk got wicked fast scanning files.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

wolffenstein posted:

Pretty sure they stopped omniweb development a while ago, but it was surprising it lasted so long.

It hasn't really. They ditched their own browsing engine and use WebKit now.

I think Opera did that too. It's probably a good thing in that browsers run more consistently, but it also means no browser is that much better than another.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Tippis posted:

iGlasses is probably close to what you're looking for.

No idea for audio other than to loop it through SoundFlower and maybe apply some processing through that.

iGlasses is great, thank you for the recommendation.

I will looking to using Soundflower somehow, thanks for the tip.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Feenix posted:

It's fantastic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When I did an Internet recovery install of my iMac for sale, it's asked me for my iTMS login to download the image. I take it that's not used/needed for anything other than the install process, and the person I'm selling it to isn't going to be promoted to log in as me at any time, right? That's all setup on first boot, yeah?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

When I did an Internet recovery install of my iMac for sale, it's asked me for my iTMS login to download the image. I take it that's not used/needed for anything other than the install process, and the person I'm selling it to isn't going to be promoted to log in as me at any time, right? That's all setup on first boot, yeah?

It will be fine. That's just to get the OS.

I've done this plenty of times with the hand-downs I give my family (I refresh mostly on a two year cycle). I get it to first boot state and then they go ahead and finish it up with their accounts. Never had an issue with that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thought so, can never hurt to check! First time I've sold on hardware in a few years and before then it was usually to people I knew well and who knew OS X well. Thanks for confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I feel bad for being an IT guy with a 5 year old computer (2011 27") but god drat with 16GB of RAM and a Samsung SSD this thing doesnt feel anywhere near slow at all and I cant justify upgrading just for a retina display.