Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Selklubber posted:

Just post the danish, I'm norwegian so written danish is kinda readable.

Yeah I understand this perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
That's baked not written.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:siren:M-M-M-MONSTER QUOTE POST INCOMING!:siren:

Selklubber posted:

Just post the danish, I'm norwegian so written danish is kinda readable.

I'll post Google translations, then.

This one is my favorite, because it was a direct response to one of my posts. I pointed out that detailed auditory is very short-term and apparently this guy got very offended :bahgawd: I think he was the same guy who insisted that he could hear up to 19kHz, despite being in his mid-60s.

quote:

First, I note that you are an idiot. (You can Google the last word). And I will say that I very well remember a stereo I listened to in 1973. It was with Harman Kardon amplifiers and JBL Paragon. I can prove it. But I'm not going to. This is because you are such one which stands as the last word in the first sentence.

quote:

Remember also power cables can provide as much as signal and loudspeaker cables
and perhaps even more
It is my experience that it offers most of the products that are first in the chain
And devices that do not use as much power
So try CD, preamp first
If you have 2 "good" power cables must be one on the wall for power strip
And No. 2 on the type of device that provides the greatest effect
It is also my experience that if you need 5-6 power cables in his system
Is not it just buy 6pcs "good" and slap them on
It may give poorer results than by only 2 "good"
Unfortunately only one way forward and that is to try
Play also with phase power
As a starting point and connect all devices in phase
Try at a time to reverse the phase of a device at a time
And listen to find what you think is best

quote:

A few tips on improvements at a point that few people think of.

In a computer player system often includes an Ethernet based network to connect, for example, NAS with PC while creating Wifi connection to an iPad with which everything operated. My own setup is thus bound together by an Apple Airport Extreme of the older type that has external 12 V supply. An AssetNas linked via Ethernet to one of the ports, while a Auraliti hangs on another.
I then experimented a little with the setup and identifies the following:
- A Teddy Pardo 12/4 PSU gave more defined bass and better space.
- Correct supply phase and earth of the Pardo found more in the same direction.
- A hifi tuning Supreme 3 fuse gave more air and speed.
- A further decoupling of 12 V with Black Gate capacitors gave further improved analog and free-flowing sound.
- Most surprising was that it was certainly not irrelevant what ports you connected the NAS and Auraliti to. The sound went from the worst combination to be messy and with strong smearing piano transients for the best to have a very nice 3D presentation, great decay and very nice tracking of transients. It is a free tweak and recommended warmly!
I hope the above can inspire others. My next step is to buy a switch of another brand and compare. I already had an Apple Airport Express, which when compared lost quite soundly against the Extreme. The former made a definite hole in the center of the soundstage, which I noticed when the Extreme was put in

quote:

I pulled the wifi module outside the Squeezebox so it does not fit inside the cabinet and makes noise. And on all internal surfaces of the cabinet, I installed bitumin and MU Metal as radiation outside the physical impossibility. It is expensive but you can really tell the difference. The soundstage gets extreme jet-black background and more air around performers

quote:

My experience is that streaming provides inferior sound than playback from the hard drive. Mind you it must be a rotating hard drive as an external and preferably with own power supply. Play from internal SSD disk the playback is the same as from external rotating hard drive.

The wireless radio on a standard laptop must be switched off - do not have experience with the use of external radio, but Audioheavens shielding description seems reasonable (and somewhat exotic).

quote:

Ok, so you sit down when you're listening to music?
(Yes, this was a serious question)

quote:

In contrast, I have to insist that you can hear the difference between the switch using the PSU running on which cable you use, etc. It can only be due to electrical noise affects the DAC sample clock and probably analog circuits in the facility. If you have to find the differences by listening, you however need to seek them out.

quote:

Thanks for your post about how your ears and auditory memory works. In some of us, it works differently.
:downs:

quote:

sharpen the edge of the CD disc with 240 grit, then wash it with soap and dry with a clean cloth.
sound becomes more calm and clear and gives a little more warmth in the midrange and up.

quote:

I have at some point had a machine capable of cutting the edge at an angle of 45 degrees. It provided a lot more than the ordinary grinding. Probably because it made the CD, so it was completely circular. It is the same principle as when balancing wheels of a car: it offers less vibration when running around.

quote:

Also had good experience with cutting edge, vibration damping of the CD with a steady mixture of shellac and a little graphite, which finishes with one or two paper labels, which one may draw 4-6 - or 8 thick black lines from the center and to edge evenly over the circle.
Cleaning with a blue liquid called CD-Clean, sadly no longer available.
CD mats both Statmat, Demat (a slightly heavy rubber mat) and John Blue CD mat affects the sound, but in different ways.
All-round Statmat is probably the best in my opinion.

quote:

Another tweak - probably the most audible and surprising I've tried:
I had some years ago reading about a Japanese gizmo that illuminated CD discs with bright light and thereby caused it to sound better permanently. It was not cheap, so I let it go on thinking that it might be another time ...
Then I came random to talk to an acquaintance who claimed that he treated his CDs in a similar manner with great success. He would bargain come and demonstrate it if I put some CDs available. The day arrived and the man that came along with the biggest flash-lamp I've seen in my life: it was as big as a small scene projector. Above the discs and listen, then started treating ... Each slice was 5 "shots" with the flash at a distance of approx. 30 cm. The flashes were so powerful that I had to keep my eyes closed. The CD was made ​​on a kitchen leaning against the wall. At each shot hopped a bit (!) And sometimes overturned it simply on the table. I was pretty worried about the CD could possibly be played after this treatment and checked on it in any way had been skewed. But that was not the case. There was no visible defects. To the system and listen: music was now ultra-vivid compared to before. A Big Band sounded like many individual instruments and a piano sounded like it was in the living room. I would say that the effect was 5 times more powerful than anything else I've tried.
Two of the CDs I had at the time ripped to the computer and I could not help but rip them again after treatment. But there was no difference in the binaries.

quote:

Static electricity may attract the laser slightly so that it focuses worse. Or the rotating electrostatic field can create electrical noise that can interfere with the laser. What matters is that it can be heard and that the effect of the treatment is positive.

quote:

Peters post direct my attention to the quality of the amplifiers which controls the lens movement. The lens is mechanically comparable to a speaker membrane, which in this context is close to a rotating disc. The lens can move both vertically and horizontally. Vertically to the laser light can focus on the plate reflective layer and horizontally to follow the trail of a non perfectly centered plate. Two tasks lens to perform the same time! The reflected light contains the audio track on the record and information to the amplifiers that control the two directions of movement lens performs. Various servo circuit ensures that the laser beam is locked to the tracks on the record.

Close contact between the plate and the lens further capacitive strain on the vertical amplifier, which is rarely an amplifier's favorite food. The laser lens movements transmitted simultaneously inevitable induction currents between the two coils and associated circuitry, with clear risk of jeopardizing the accuracy of the playback. We have left the playback of digital media to two analog circuits with significant responsibility for the sound quality.

What will happen if we oversized amplifiers to the lens in the same way as amplifiers for our speakers? Amplifiers with low output impedance that is totally insensitive to the electrical loads they are subjected. How much will it improve playback and sound quality?

quote:

Then I came home from Gørlev last night with a new set of cables for my collection of Audio Heaven cables :)
Now I have 2 sets of HT cables 3 sets of signal and a digital cable, all in pure silver.
I know that there are many that do not think cables are of great importance.
But now I have changed all my (missing only power cables) from a known brand, which I had for about 150,000 kr over to Kenneth's own .... And believe me, it can really be heard .. MUCH!
Now all I need is to change my power cables, so I run clean Audio Heaven, across the board
Kenneth does not make as many cables more, which is a shame, because everyone should try them up against them now ... :)
This is NOT an advertisement for Kenneth's cables, as you probably can not get one, but more an indication for all who do not believe that cables matter.
THEY DO :)
Yes, he had ~$27,000 worth of cables, and then he upgraded.

quote:

Heatshrink directly on the unprotected wire gives a turbidity in the lower midrange and a reluctance in the presence area ...

quote:

I do not think lack of interest is the reason that there has not been developed measuring equipment that can measure some of the parameters that the human ear so far is only measurement equipment for.

quote:

I talked to a developer of speakers at Munich High End show and he wanted to listen to the differences between different screws for device. Now, how are you going to measure that???

quote:

I've tried to change my fuse in my Nad 356bee amp with the new fuse from hifi-tuning.com. It is a German company with a website that you have to say in need of developer's hand.
But I took the chance and bought it and had it tested Hifi Club on the diagram supplied with the fuse.
No one down there believed that a fuse could provide better sound, but they lost the jaw, myself included.
We tested with the best cambridge cd player they have, vdh The Hill as rca to my amp and with vdh Main Server as a power chord.
I have vdh main stream at home.
We also did a blind test on another employee who was not in doubt by listening test.
4 hours we spent in the store!
The music is more fluid, clear and well balanced.
One for me unknown shrillness of the old fuse was clear.
Music plays more along the places before was more put together.
The bass is clearer and more rigorous and treble, wow how it will sound crisp.
They cost a 300 kr with shipping from Germany where they are handmade.
I hope that others have tried it or would like to try it and give feedback on it.
Just remember to orient the fuse correctly, and how to turn you have to listen to, but we have no doubt.
I was very unsure about vdh main stream could make a difference, and then was my best buy. But the new fuse is the biggest surprise ever and I would recommend anyone to try it out.

quote:

I recommend periodically cleaning the fuses ... and by that I mean even those in the fuse box.
It provides for those of us who have the most advanced hearing, tremendous improvements, often comparable to switching from a bad to a good signal cable.

quote:

You should periodically clean all contact surfaces in the flow path. As a rule, the system should "calm down" on top of a housecleaning. It may sound somewhat disjointed the first few days after surgery.

quote:

Here with me there was a difference of multi-core cable and single-core power cable on my PC and monitor, clear image when I work a lot with pictures you can see it, take a drat good sharp picture and try.
I just forgot and write, start with your PC monitor first and then your PC

quote:

I would recommend using cables of different thickness (different resistance) for each device. Like a thick cable to supply power strip and source, and a little thinner to amplifier and speakers.

quote:

I also do not want to get into all the technical and measure fuss. But I can clearly hear the difference between the DAC in my CD player and my external DAC. The best proof for me is when I a few years ago had bought new RCA cables to the DAC / preamp. Before I threw myself behind the worm farm, I just wanted to test whether they worked. The easiest place to get to was via CD player and amplifier. So for the first time in a very long time I played the CD in the player's DAC. The bass was limp and sound more stuffy. My partner was in the living room working on her own and we had not at all been talking about my project. Suddenly she says that it sounds wrong. She loves music and even has a large CD collection but is not at all up in hi-fi, even though she uses it. There I realized that I certainly had not spent 11,000kr on the placebo effect. The DAC was an upgrade and I use it still. That being said, I hardly think that I would be able to tell the difference between two different CD drives via a DAC. But the analog processing of the digital signal is certainly important.
And let me in the same breath add that my sweet companion today actually have learned to new good hi-fi sound. As I got upgraded to good equipment, she began to comment on how well her CDs now sound. Women can appreciate good sound, too!

quote:

Since you work in IT and network, do you shock mount and galvanic isolation and the kind of actions to optimize
the operation amd sound quality even though it is mp3 or worse. It is widely used in the pharmaceutical instruments and circuits / equipment related to health care and also technical laboratories where eg. electron microscopes are vibration damped (expensive by the way), there may well be a good reason for it necessary (I believe that the 2 mentioned factors actually play a major role in the final sound in a sound system and these actions do not cost a national fortune

quote:

Are you kidding me?! You can not tell the difference between the DAC analog output regardless components?! Jesus! I didn't buy the drat DAC because it is expensive, but because the models in the lower price ranges gave such a small difference in quality lift to my CD player which was I brough to the store for A / B testing. What are you doing in a hi-fi forum? Either you're a Troll or completely tone deaf!

quote:

Blind test and double-blind test, I don't like. I have experienced wine experts who could not taste the difference between red and white wine in the blind test ...
:irony:

quote:

I have personal experience that here is much to be gained on the sound quality of a hifi setup with vibration damping, in particular of digital products actually it has more impact on the sound than on a mechanical analog setup.

After I posted about my setup. A common occurence is that people will come into a thread I'm participating in to diss my equipment and then declare that they won't bother "discussing" it any further:

quote:

So if you have not modified this equipment completely beyond recognition / remade it completely, it can in no way be taken seriously, it's not hi-fi level at all. I will not bother to spend any time discussing it.
It is simply too ridiculous to be spent so much energy on the man / troll

quote:

The differences between power cords, I think is even more pronounced than differences, for example, speaker and signal cables. It gives some idea about the scale of the differences.

What I experienced at good power cords is that they provide a more natural, effortless and flow of sound.

In addition, tightens the up, which for many is probably most evident to note in the bass region where you can not only hear the difference in the representation of base units but also even notice the physical at higher volume levels. It is expressed in both furniture, pant legs, cabinet doors and whatever else might be affected by the vibrations of the bass region.

Here, in addition to manage a good power cable to provide a better sense of space in the form of a better-defined perspective with an increased 3D feel.

Small details ("micro details") in the high range becomes more pronounced as they are not to the same extent drowning in "mud" from the other units, due to the increased control.

quote:

Power Cables are as varied as everything else.
But I can write what I experienced with the Brahma power cord, it was a "stereo changing" tweak!
The first thing I saw was a typical wow effect, staging makes a 1/2 meters closer to the listening position, which gave a strong sense of dynamism, the bass got the rest just a tad more control and dynamics, while the treble tilted forward, listening fatigue reduced.
So had to play! Above with a DIY RCA cable (not made ​​by me) it is a detail focused cable with a FORWARD soundstage.
With Brahma and DIY cable was not to be in the living room, it almost ripped me off the couch, it sounds like an exaggeration, but I could could barely get over 80-90 dB in volume.
You WILL be able to hear it, otherwise your hearing is gone.

quote:

Also think you should consider trying a usb-s/pdif-converter between macbook and dac. I was in the same situation as you, and here I saw a big difference between the macbook digital output and even a very cheap converter (300 kr, so definitely nothing special). Mac's output sounded dead and non-dynamic in comparison.

quote:

Yes some people have such poor speakers and stereos that you will need to plaster entire room for noise suppression to bear the sound.

If the room is pleasant to be in, and the stereo is in order that kind of thing is of course not necessary.

quote:

Some believe that thick cables can deliver more power with better control of the bass. But others then say that there is more resistance with decreased signal to follow.
There you have it, thicker cable = more resistance.

quote:

Now there is again a poor man who asks for help about power cables ... Over on another forum

Then someone says to avoid spending money on (power) cables, and instead use (2/3) of the money in the music, and not HIFI! This from someone who has a Denon system! And surely standard cables!

Soon there will be nothing other than NAD and DENON owners to ask for advice on that forum.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Well, you've struck the mother lode.

quote:

This is because you are such one which stands as the last word in the first sentence.

Is this a Danish idiom that doesn't translate well or did google translate just mangle it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

eggsovereasy posted:

Well, you've struck the mother lode.

Is this a Danish idiom that doesn't translate well or did google translate just mangle it.

I'm not quite sure what his intention was, because the sentence is clunky in Danish, as well.

A better translation would be "Because you're the last word in the first sentence of this post", which is still stupid.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Also make no sense.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not quite sure what his intention was, because the sentence is clunky in Danish, as well.

A better translation would be "Because you're the last word in the first sentence of this post", which is still stupid.

Oh I get it, if what you quoted is the full post...

quote:

First, I note that you are an idiot. (You can Google the last word). And I will say that I very well remember a stereo I listened to in 1973. It was with Harman Kardon amplifiers and JBL Paragon. I can prove it. But I'm not going to. This is because you are such one which stands as the last word in the first sentence.

The last word of the first sentence of that post is 'idiot', so he's calling you an idiot. Its obtuse, but I bet that is what he meant.

Did he tell you to google it because he used the English word "idiot", an obscure Danish word that means that or was it an attempt to imply you are slow.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

eggsovereasy posted:

Did he tell you to google it because he used the English word "idiot", an obscure Danish word that means that or was it an attempt to imply you are slow.

"Idiot" is exactly the same in Danish as in English, so I assume the latter. Not much of an insult, really.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

quote:

I do not think lack of interest is the reason that there has not been developed measuring equipment that can measure some of the parameters that the human ear so far is only measurement equipment for.
Hggggnnnnn! :psypop:

It's like these idiots, who pretend that earth rays, water veins, dowsing and poo poo are real. Man can amplify stray photons from a few billion lightyears away and form images from them, they can accelerate and collide streams of protons and measure and differentiate the burst of particles that sprays all over the place at lightspeed... but earth rays and sound wave, gently caress no! How would that even work?!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hggggnnnnn! :psypop:

It's like these idiots, who pretend that earth rays, water veins, dowsing and poo poo are real. Man can amplify stray photons from a few billion lightyears away and form images from them, they can accelerate and collide streams of protons and measure and differentiate the burst of particles that sprays all over the place at lightspeed... but earth rays and sound wave, gently caress no! How would that even work?!

The best part is the implication that there is no microphone in existence sensitive enough to pick up all the intricacies and nuance of music recorded with microphones.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Science doesn't account for my subjective experience that I refuse to analyse in any way, so science obviously has some catching up to do

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
To their defense, the human ear is incredibly sensitive. Ears can detect displacements on the order of 1 trillionth of a meter.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Chill Callahan posted:

To their defense, the human ear is incredibly sensitive. Ears can detect displacements on the order of 1 trillionth of a meter.

:getout:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chill Callahan posted:

You're saying my ear can detect when you whip out your dick?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Chill Callahan posted:

For those who don't get why this is hilarious, the radius of a helium atom is ~32 "trillionth of a meter".

Wonder if homeopathy is big with audiophiles, the smaller the magnitude the larger the imaginary effect.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

In a twist of irony they probably write it off as hocus pocus.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Boiled Water posted:

In a twist of irony they probably write it off as hocus pocus.

Probably unironically using the word 'pseudoscience'.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
OK, maybe not a trillionth of a meter (should've crosschecked http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/courses/perception/lecturenotes/ear/ear.html, but I assumed it was correct since it's NYU), but the human ear is still extraordinarily sensitive and can detect changes on the order of the diameter of an atom of gold (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK10867/).

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That's a movement within the ear, right?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Chill Callahan posted:

OK, maybe not a trillionth of a meter (should've crosschecked http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/courses/perception/lecturenotes/ear/ear.html, but I assumed it was correct since it's NYU), but the human ear is still extraordinarily sensitive and can detect changes on the order of the diameter of an atom of gold (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK10867/).
So if you're saying that the human ear is more sensitive than anything we can produce in the way of microphones? Microphones which would be able to provide evidence of $600 pure silver usb cables being better than a $10 radio shack cable and settle the debate?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This is why vinyl sounds better. You can hear the needle physically interacting with the atoms

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

So if you're saying that the human ear is more sensitive than anything we can produce in the way of microphones? Microphones which would be able to provide evidence of $600 pure silver usb cables being better than a $10 radio shack cable and settle the debate?

Of course digital cables are going to sound the same. I'm not sure on the sensitivity of microphones vs human hearing, but all I'm really saying is the human ear is extremely sensitive and can detect minute differences from analog equipment.

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 11, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So what? Your brain fucks all up. Why do you think that poo poo like MP3s do work?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Let's take a virtual tour of the Mike Malinowski's stereo. He's a reviewer for 6moons, and there's probably $1,000,000 worth of equipment there. Well, more like $10,000 worth, but it would cost you $1,000,000 ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZHjRe-hm_s

Here's another one. The semi-random placement of musical instruments around the room is a cargo cult approach to better sound reproduction. I'm not even joking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30onoWXjYSA

Here's a ridiculous video of some ridiculous speakers. You can almost hear the dude drooling all over them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj47yYIDUh0

And here's a stupidly-complicated record player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvqNBAAmxcI

Both of these channels (AVequipmentReviews and AVShowreports are full of the most amazing bullshit I have ever heard. There's also an AVcompanytours channel, which is exactly as bad.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 11, 2014

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

KillHour posted:

The best part is the implication that there is no microphone in existence sensitive enough to pick up all the intricacies and nuance of music recorded with microphones.

We must go further and find a way to use the human ear as a recording device, not microphones. And only when the novelty of human ear has worn off, we will move on animals' ears. Like dogs and poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's another one. The semi-random placement of musical instruments around the room is a cargo cult approach to better sound reproduction. I'm not even joking.

I have a few guitars hanging on my wall, and they sort of randomly make noise when you walk around the house. They also reverberate at I guess an open G or A11 something random when I play a loud movie with a lot of bass that vibrates them. How does those absolutely spurious notes being added to music help?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I too, only handle my records with white cotton gloves.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

eggsovereasy posted:

I handle all my FLACs with only the finest white cotton gloves, as well.

Just kidding, I manhandle all my 64kbit/s MP3s with calloused greasy hands :getin:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I like the lovely undamped lowering mechanism (unless he's just double-sperging it and lowering the lever really slowly even though it is actually damped).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eggsovereasy posted:

They're because poor and/or foreign people might have handled them at the record-pressing plant.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I may have hit true gold, guys.

quote:

Regarding cables, I recommend you to read this post, you get the whole package and with a direct aim at max hi-fi
http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/kabelhja-rnet/67105-riktigste-kabelen-teknisk-sett-66.html#post1742571

The post is uncompromising, money is not involved, profit is not a part of it, it is based on practical experience, theory, and listening test carried out over a long time without adding uncertainty factors as ABX and blind tests and other completely ridiculous things that prevent a sensible way of working, only goal is maximum fidelity.

The post in question:

quote:

I believe the following should be included in the "ideal" audio cable:

Litz wire to counteract the induction and skin effect while obtaining a sensible cross section, microphoning / vibration are discourages by a thick lead shield 1 mm combined with dried linseed oil / (it could also be Epoxy molding compound) screen control while capacitance induction and prevent radiated noise, both in and out.

The shield should have its own supply. In my case I used a battery to provide a voltage potential, another option is to run current through the screen, the third option which is probably the best is to put the same signal on the screen as the inner conductor transfers, thus negating the cable capacitance, see drawing.

There should be no impact in between plus and minus leads, they should be separated, there should be no possibility of static discharge or memory effect so any form of plastic including Teflon should not be used. Any kind of proximity effect should be avoided, so the necessary distances can be established.

Each wire should behave as an ideal resistor having the same resistance regardless of frequency, the optimal diameter which ensure this behavior is about 0.8 mm, so that no leader should be thicker than that. The exception is power cord where the filter effect is desirable.

Air is the best insulator so the cable should hang freely and not be on artificial carpets etc.

I believe there is something called material sound, and I believe that it is perceived as when light going through something it changes character, that is difficult to describe with measurements. Even sound waves that pass through a space change character and again it is very difficult to describe with measurements, but we have no doubt that something is happening and that there is a difference as we can easily detect with the eyes and ears.
You could say that a cable assembly is for electrons what acoustics to sound waves, where the optimal result often dampens the acoustics, the same appears to be true for "cable constructions and electrons."

I believe that the power / pulse moving through a materials behave differently depending on the nature of the material in a very complex way which are not completely described in the science, and in a way which is very difficult to describe with measurements. It ultimately colors the sound in its own individual way depending on the material, combined with construction.

Of course there is absolutely no scientific backing in this, it is only a description of how I see it.

Materials which I think sounds best and is most consistent with how live instruments sounds in my opinion, and it's lead, fine silver and insulation paper, silk, plus oil (Duelund inspired). Duelund did not appear to like paper.

Here's a diagram:

Ok, I see the silver (sølv), lead (bly), paper (papir) and silk (silke) he mentioned. But how does it look?

:allears:

Would you use a cable built partially from paper and dried linseed oil in your home? It just screams "major fire hazard" to me.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 11, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

What the gently caress is that overly complicated record arm holder good for, if you don't use a torque wrench nor center the reducer or whatever it is to a specific position?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

What the gently caress is that overly complicated record arm holder good for, if you don't use a torque wrench nor center the reducer or whatever it is to a specific position?

Just goes to show arm positioning doesn't really matter :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chill Callahan posted:

Of course digital cables are going to sound the same. I'm not sure on the sensitivity of microphones vs human hearing, but all I'm really saying is the human ear is extremely sensitive and can detect minute differences from analog equipment.

If what you're trying to say is that digital sampling error would prevent measuring differences, then to that it is to be said that a) we have highly precise analog measurement equipment that should be able to detect such differences if they existed and b) we have digital sampling capable of very high sampling rates with very wide samples at each timepoint that should also be able to detect things, even if it wouldn't be detected in an audio stream suitable for playback on a standard computer.

In functioning analog audio equipment, it's essentially impossible for interconnect cables to impart any different qualities to the audio going through them, outside of merely allowing passive interference from the environment, or due to the fact that signal doesn't travel infinitely fast excessive length differences can result in perceptibly delayed playback. It's not possible to get a cable that imparts a warmer or cooler sound or "wider soundstage" et cetera unless it's actually a combination of a cable and an active processing device embedded within that is capable of monitoring incoming signal and modifying what signal comes out the other side.

Similarly changing out power cables can't do anything unless you're replacing a manifestly defective one with shorts happening it in sporadically.

Components within your analog playback devices can and do affect the output sound, but that's trivial and easy to test the nature of.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Mostly just saying that we underestimate the sensitivity of the human ear, but cool post.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

quote:

without adding uncertainty factors [such] as ABX and blind tests and other completely ridiculous things

This should be the thread title.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chill Callahan posted:

Mostly just saying that we underestimate the sensitivity of the human ear, but cool post.

Hearing happens in the brain, not the ear, though. It is quite possible and I dare say rather common to hear things despite and/or regardless of any input from the ear.

e: Which, of course, means that speakers with red trim actually do sound better than speakers with green or yellow trim.

ee: What I'm saying is audiophiles are crazy. Don't be crazy, people.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Turkey Farts posted:

We must go further and find a way to use the human ear as a recording device, not microphones. And only when the novelty of human ear has worn off, we will move on animals' ears. Like dogs and poo poo.

God, keep up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shgpssp9ZpA&t=416s

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Oh my, I had no idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Of course severed ears are really the domain of tracking engineers capturing the source, audiophiles can only really concern themselves with accurate reproduction. So we're really looking at organic and anatomical speaker systems, for true fidelity. What can reproduce the tonal nuances of the human voice better than a real set of vocal and respiratory organs?