Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

A Fistful of Owls posted:

Also to note if you've been holding out on the original Nook:

Effective immediately, first Nook gets price drop. $119 for WiFi, $169 for 3G.

The wifi one is only $99 on eBay

http://item.ebay.com/120727275222?_trksid=p5197.m621#ht_5369wt_1139

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

The former Engadget guys at This Is My Next have a live blog going:
http://live.thisismynext.com/Event/Barnes__Noble_Special_Announcement

Edit: Yup another touchscreen reader, Pearl display, same screen size as the Kindle, $139.

Edit2: Two month battery life, 80% lower page refresh, 2GB onboard, expandable up to 32GB by SD card.

Looks pretty cool, except that it's wifi only. That may not be a problem for us geeks, but they are promoting this as the simplest reader to use. I know my Grandma wouldn't be able to use it if it's not automatically online all the time.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The best part of that liveblog is where the B&N guy says the Kindle "assaults the user with complexity" because it has "38 buttons" compared to the new Nook's one. That is the weaseliest spin on "doesn't have a keyboard" I've ever heard.

They're definitely going for cheap over robust, with the lack of 3g. I won't say they're screwing themselves, since it's definitely a calculated move, but it rules the thing out for people like me at least.

Javid fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 24, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'll have to handle one in person, but I could see myself trading in my Nook Wifi for one of these. It's not like I'd be dying to do so, but it's enough of an upgrade ereaders are cheap enough now that I could sell my current nook and pick up one of these new ones without really spending much.

I'm not 100% sold on the touchscreen as the reading surface though. That's why I need to handle one.

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.

Javid posted:

They're definitely going for cheap over robust, with the lack of 3g.

That was inevitable. After the Nook WiFi was introduced, sales plummeted on the 3g model.

quote:

The best part of that liveblog is where the B&N guy says the Kindle "assaults the user with complexity" because it has "38 buttons" compared to the new Nook's one. That is the weaseliest spin on "doesn't have a keyboard" I've ever heard.

Have you ever talked to an older person who hasn't quite got the hang of electronics yet? Buttons scare the poo poo out of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope Amazon makes a similar one. I like it being more compact without a keyboard.

2 months battery life is nuts, though they say that's if you turn off wifi and read 30 minutes a day.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

: The two month batter life is assuming a half hour a day. Isn't the Kindle 3 one month assuming one hour a day? I really hate this trend of exaggerating battery life by setting arbitrary reading times per day. I wish they'd get back to the slightly more straightforward hour count.

The new kindle, with lifetime battery life. Assuming 20 seconds of reading a day.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Have you ever talked to an older person who hasn't quite got the hang of electronics yet? Buttons scare the poo poo out of them.

Like the 3g, it was a calculated move. They're aiming for the same audience that buys these:

It's an eye-rolling spin, but I know who they're talking to, and it's not me.

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.
Next to nobody bought the 3G model after the WiFi-only device came out. If there were enough people who specifically bought the 3G model to justify it's inclusion, they would have done so. It's really no surprise.

Boxman posted:

The new kindle, with lifetime battery life. Assuming 20 seconds of reading a day.

Introducing the Nook3, with heirloom battery life.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

I don't know. I've seen older people have big issues with touchscreen devices the first time they used them. And I don't really consider a keyboard to be a bunch of buttons.

But still I have to give B&N credit, they have been listening to the nerds hardcore users. SDHC slot even though they have less built in memory, user created screensavers. They should be ecstatic.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
If you never use the new Nook 15 ever and thus never check its battery, the battery will be forever both completely full and completely drained.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

One thing I do think is a mistake is the shape. They aimed for 'kindle without a keyboard' so the thing looks almost square. Books aren't square, the same set of people that go for the one button pitch are liable to balk at the visual difference.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Isn't there an Amazon announcement today too, or did I imagine that?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Javid posted:

One thing I do think is a mistake is the shape. They aimed for 'kindle without a keyboard' so the thing looks almost square. Books aren't square, the same set of people that go for the one button pitch are liable to balk at the visual difference.
I agree, they should've found a way to make it taller, or appear to be taller by making the side border thinner.

I have a cheapo e-reader and a lot of people ask me "What is that?" then "Oh like a Kindle?" then "How come it doesn't look like a Kindle?".

People like devices that look "right" so I don't know about this.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sporadic posted:

I don't know. I've seen older people have big issues with touchscreen devices the first time they used them. And I don't really consider a keyboard to be a bunch of buttons.

But still I have to give B&N credit, they have been listening to the nerds hardcore users. SDHC slot even though they have less built in memory, user created screensavers. They should be ecstatic.

My mother in law is one of those. Buttons she can learn how to use or she can ignore. Touch screen might as well be written in Greek and raping her cat to death, she has no loving clue what it wants and she is upset and scared of it.

I really don't understand SDHC slots in these things. The books are tiny! A huge, massive, full of color and huge margins pdf is 65MB. Who is going to have 400 of those on their Nook2 and fill it up and need room for 6400 more?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

My mother in law is one of those. Buttons she can learn how to use or she can ignore. Touch screen might as well be written in Greek and raping her cat to death, she has no loving clue what it wants and she is upset and scared of it.

I really don't understand SDHC slots in these things. The books are tiny! A huge, massive, full of color and huge margins pdf is 65MB. Who is going to have 400 of those on their Nook2 and fill it up and need room for 6400 more?

I find that the 3GB storage I have on my kindle isn't really enough. I have plenty of pdfs on there and I've ran out of room for more.

Also some people use audiobooks or read comics which really do need the extra space.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/24/barnes-noble%E2%80%99-nook-hands-on/

The hands on is up. There are physical page turn buttons which has pretty much sold me now.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

teraflame posted:

I find that the 3GB storage I have on my kindle isn't really enough. I have plenty of pdfs on there and I've ran out of room for more.

Also some people use audiobooks or read comics which really do need the extra space.

Oh yeah, audiobooks would eat it up really fast.

I didn't mean for my comment to sound as lovely as it did. I have 260+ books on my Kindle3 and it says 2,707MB free, so I honestly can't imagine filling the whole thing up with .mobis

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

teraflame posted:

Kindles can play mp3s, too, right?

e: I mean as "background" -- I assume reading an audiobook is a foreground task.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

They have an mp3 playback function, I don't know if that's how you play an audiobook or if there's a separate interface.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wonder what the chances are of there being options to override css margins, line height, etc :/ I'll still probably pick one up, the battery life and screen are worth it.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm definitely selling my Kindle 3 now while I still can get most profit out of it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
It has page turn buttons?
Done. Selling my nook 3g. Size + new version of the screen = worth it to me.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

I think my only beef with this Nook2 is that it's too square looking. I like the fact that my Nook is shaped like a book. I can hold it in my hand like a book, and the pages look like book pages with their nice vertical rectangular-ness. I can't justify upgrading from my Nook to a Nook2 either, but I suppose if mine eventually craps out in another year or two, I might then.

Also, totally not going to miss 3g. I bought a WiFi Nook and have been totally happy with it. It's really not hard to hit the "check for new content" button if I bought something from the store on my PC before I head out the door. Half the time I don't even need to, because it will already be there.

I do think it's cool that both the new Kobo and Nook2 have touch screen displays. I have fiddled around with Sony touch screens and thought it was kind of cool. I've also been less than super happy with the LCD touch screen on my Nook, as it's kind of laggy and just meh. It works, but seems to me to be more like a gimmick than something great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

See, I actually appreciate the smaller size. It's still pretty book shaped and I think the scalloped back and lighter weight will make it feel right right in the hand with the bezel being just the right side for one handed holding.

I always felt the bottom LCD was a bit superfluousness and I feel the same way about the keyboard on the kindle. Every so often I choose a new book. Aside from that, I only need to turn pages. So, having real estate dedicated to those other functions seems like a waste.

The ONLY thing I worry about is fingerprints on the reading surface, but I think a lot of that will be mitigated by the matte surface.

At any rate, I have a friend willing to buy my Nook wifi with cover for $60 which means the new one will cost me all of $80 to upgrade. I'm ecstatic that these things have gotten this cheap that it's pretty much no issue to upgrade like that.

About the only thing I would have liked them to include would have been some sort of edge lighting to eliminate the need for an external light source. I don't read that often in the dark though so it's not a huge deal to me.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
drat, I just don't know what I want to do. I mean, my Nook works great for reading, I have no real need to upgrade. I have a Facebook friend that sounds like they would be willing to buy it but still, my Nook works great :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Codiusprime posted:

drat, I just don't know what I want to do. I mean, my Nook works great for reading, I have no real need to upgrade. I have a Facebook friend that sounds like they would be willing to buy it but still, my Nook works great :(

I'd be lying if I said I was thinking of upgrading for anything other that pure aesthetic reasons and the desire to have a new toy.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I'd be lying if I said I was thinking of upgrading for anything other that pure aesthetic reasons and the desire to have a new toy.

I'm in the exact same boat.

Hey. HEY NOW. Gizmodo says your hands will love it, for the sake of our hands I think we have to upgrade guys. Won't somebody think of the hands.

Edit: I could even sell it now and do all of my reading on my Nook Color. I also have a friend that looked to be interested in my buying my wi-fi Nook and case for 85, that seems a little high now though. I think I need to read about how the touch screen is before I make a final decision.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 24, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well crap, I really need to sell my kindle DX now, these new smaller e-readers look great.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bull3964 posted:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/24/barnes-noble%E2%80%99-nook-hands-on/

The hands on is up. There are physical page turn buttons which has pretty much sold me now.
Yep, sorry Kobo, but B&N has just stolen all your thunder. Physical page turn buttons and android-based make it far and away superior

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, you want to know why Amazon has the ad-supported Kindle?

quote:

The latest Nook fetches $139, which puts it above the $114 Amazon is charging for a Kindle with ads.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/05/barnes-38-noble-unveils-new-cheaper-nook-e-reader/1

Regardless, I would be really surprised if the Kindle 4 didn't lower the price again below the $139 mark.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

This was ever in question? I just assumed an ad supported device would be cheaper than its non ad supported competition. I like the idea of an ad supported device, as long as the ads don't start popping up whenever I get to a new chapter or some poo poo. I mean, I would never buy one (it's worth it to me to spend the little extra) but getting e-readers into the hands of more people can't really be a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Not too big on the look, but overall its a great option for those who just want an eReader. I don't think its better or worse than the Kindle 3, that's a matter of preference. I definitely like it better than the Nook 1, I didn't like the LCD on that guy at all. Overall smart move by B&N. I guess I should update the OP soon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Codiusprime posted:

This was ever in question? I just assumed an ad supported device would be cheaper than its non ad supported competition.
My meaning was that they have it so they win all price competitions. If the ad-supported version didn't exist, that sentence would say that B&N matched Amazon's price.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Amazon jumps on the bandwagon and provides their own touchscreen e-reader, but then again maybe they prefer the hardware keyboard.

I doubt it'll be long before we see something new from them - Kindle 1 was 2007, Kindle 2 2009, and Kindle 3 2010.

Either way, there aren't enough new features in the Nook 2 to win me over, and the amazing customer support I continue to see from Amazon has earned my loyalty.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

smackfu posted:

My meaning was that they have it so they win all price competitions. If the ad-supported version didn't exist, that sentence would say that B&N matched Amazon's price.

Oh yea, I got that. I just thought it was an obvious move on Amazon's part from the start is all I was saying. Although the Nook 1st edition is only 119 without ads, now I don't know how long they will continue to stock the Nook 1st but that lines of a little better with the Ad supported Kindle (of course it is aged compared to the Kindle 3 that's for sure).

Edit: I went to the B&N site to see how they advertised the Nook 1st edition, it's a pretty small link that is separate from the main Nook/Nook Color advert. I doubt the Nook 1st will be around for much longer.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Codiusprime posted:

Oh yea, I got that. I just thought it was an obvious move on Amazon's part from the start is all I was saying. Although the Nook 1st edition is only 119 without ads, now I don't know how long they will continue to stock the Nook 1st but that lines of a little better with the Ad supported Kindle (of course it is aged compared to the Kindle 3 that's for sure).

Edit: I went to the B&N site to see how they advertised the Nook 1st edition, it's a pretty small link that is separate from the main Nook/Nook Color advert. I doubt the Nook 1st will be around for much longer.

One of the livebloggings said that when the existing stock of Nook 1s are gone, it's gone.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Tempted to try and sell my k3 now. That new nook is very nice looking. With the physical page turn buttons, the touchscreen wouldn't even see that much use from me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Will the Kobo or nook ever see the light of day in the UK? I'm quite emotionally attached to my Kindle but others are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
If I weren't Canadian I'd be kicking myself right now, but as it stands... welp, still probably best off with a Kindle.