Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Adult Sword Owner posted:

If your dietician is telling you NOT to eat meat I'd get a new one. Just my opinion though.

You can smoke things other than meat FYI.

I'm pretty sure If I stuff myself stupid with smoked meat I'll put on weight. Also, it actually is healthier to restrict red meat intake to once or twice a week.

What non meat things do people smoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm pretty sure If I stuff myself stupid with smoked meat I'll put on weight. Also, it actually is healthier to restrict red meat intake to once or twice a week.

What non meat things do people smoke?

Meat is fine but that's for another thread.

I've smoked zucchini before and it was really good. Smoked chicken is good as well. Really anything that is good on a grill will be good smoked as far as I've seen. My friend smoked hot peppers and used them in chili

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cheese? I'm sure you can smoke veggies. Fish, certainly, which totally doesn't count as meat for that definition.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Fish meat is practically a vegetable anyway.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Fish meat is practically a vegetable anyway.

My dietician is a very big believer in fish. Fish is amazing, and I'm only just starting to explore it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Root veggies and winter squash are great after smoking.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
smoked salt is also amazing and incredibly easy to do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If your dietician is telling you NOT to eat meat I'd get a new one. Just my opinion though.

You can smoke things other than meat FYI.

dietician/chiropractor/spiritual healer

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

toe knee hand posted:

English muffin recipe please.

e: or wait, is it posted above? Same dough recipe for pizza and bread and english muffins?

Alton Brown's recipe is fine but it requires more forethought IMHO and I am not great at forethought. I take my basic chunk-o-dough recipe on the previous page that I use for everything (pizza, bread, etc) and just tear off chunks, form into rough englishy muffiny shape (don't overhandle at this step if you're not going to let it proof), maybe cover both sides in oats if I want (totally optional), maybe let it proof for a half an hour or an hour if I want (fairly optional, though it'll be a denser muffin obvs), gently place in a pan with oil, omg look at you, you are making bread! Let the first side set and get bready, flip it & let it get bready and done, if it needs more cooking continue to flip to avoid burning until it's done. If you make them thin and keep the heat low, you can finish them on the stove; if you make them thicker they'll probably need to finish in a nice hot oven. Just make sure they look like bread all the way up the side and feel mostly firm rather than squishy in the middle.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

adorai posted:

You should never buy individual chicken parts. 15 minutes of youtube videos will teach you to break down a chicken. The first few times you do it it may take 15 minutes each, but after that it's a 5 minute affair. For the same price as two fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts you can get two breasts (boneless with skin on), two tenders, two drumsticks, two wings, and two thighs. You also get the liver, heart, and gizzard (I fry these for my dog) and the carcass (I pitch mine, but some people make stock). For a family of three, this is the protein for many meals. I would get at least the following:
Where I live and shop, it's much, much spendier to buy a whole chicken then a container of parts - depending on the specific parts. Even though the money/weight/meat ratio seems comparable if you're buying non-desirable parts (wings and breasts are expensive for obvious reasons and breasts are also the most boring and non-flavorful portion of the bird) until you see the amount of water-weight you're buying when you buy a whole chicken. I can buy a pair of chicken carcasses from a gross chicken factory brand for like $1.20/lb at the cheapest store around near my house however, in the same store I can buy a package of thighs from a more local brand for $1.08/lb, and know that there's not a pound or two of water sloshing around in the body cavity.

I've never been a huge fan of organ meat, and I can throw a 5 lb flat of chicken thighs onto the grill with a cheap rub, tear them up and throw all the bones and skin into a baggy in the freezer (to use for stock later) and frankly have a lot more meat and assorted sundry than I realistically can for buying 5 lbs of whole chicken unless I'm going full-retard on the organic free-range non-GMO housebroken meat stock animals..

I don't like breast meat because it has no fats in it to add flavor or to use in a pot of chicken stock later on, for similar reasons to why I don't buy carrots without the greens - I get more use out of it and prefer making my own broth/stock to buying it from the store.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 10, 2014

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yeh its way more expensive for me too since I don't use the organs or carcass. It comes out to like $4 a lb for meat and without a sale breasts are $2. Combine with my girlfriend not liking dark meat it just doesn't make sense.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Surprisingly enough, serious eats did a test of which chicken parts contribute the most to the flavor of stock:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/how-to-make-rich-flavorful-easy-chicken-stock.html

quote:

Instead of tasting flavorless and washed out, the chicken breast produced the cleanest tasting stock with the most intense chicken flavor. But it also produced the thinnest stock, in terms of body.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I guess if I was looking to make stock that looks like chardonnay, that'd be really cool...

But I like thick stock and I cannot lie, no other brothas can deny when a chef walks in with a icky thicky waist and a dark pot o' stock in my face I get sprung, wanna stick out my tongue. :snoop:

Yeh its way more expensive for me too since I don't use the organs or carcass. It comes out to like $4 a lb for meat and without a sale breasts are $2. Combine with my girlfriend not liking dark meat it just doesn't make sense.
Is she big into anti-animal cruelty and poo poo? Because refusing to eat certain portions of an animal really contributes to that being a problem.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 10, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

not liking dark meat

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

My wife doesn't like dark meat. She says it's got a funny texture. I think it's very slightly chewier than white meat, but then again, I also think that white meat tends to be tougher, dryer, and is comparatively easier to gently caress up.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

The Lord Bude posted:

It would probably be cheaper to just buy bacon.
Actually, pork belly ran me $4/lb and the wood was free. I used maybe $0.50 worth of charcoal and about 4 hours of my spare time

Good bacon at the store that's actually smoked and not just painted with liquid smoke is $10-12/lb so I'll leave you with that :tipshat:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

feelz good man posted:

Actually, pork belly ran me $4/lb and the wood was free. I used maybe $0.50 worth of charcoal and about 4 hours of my spare time

Good bacon at the store that's actually smoked and not just painted with liquid smoke is $10-12/lb so I'll leave you with that :tipshat:

That is damned expensive bacon. We pay half that, not counting sales. (and I'm not talking about stuff sold in packets on the supermarket shelf either). I'd probably guess that pork belly would cost about the same or slightly more compared to bacon.

You can routinely buy bacon for $6/kg.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Lord Bude posted:

That is damned expensive bacon. We pay half that, not counting sales. (and I'm not talking about stuff sold in packets on the supermarket shelf either). I'd probably guess that pork belly would cost about the same or slightly more compared to bacon.

Raw Pork Belly is routinely $2-4 a pound (depends on if there's a sale on). The only bacon I've seen for the prices you're quoting in 'Economy Bacon', which is almost entirely fat, and sliced micron thin. It's almost tasteless, and shrinks soooo smallll in the pan. It's depressing.

Also, seeing that you're measuring in kilos, i'm assuming you're not American? There is a difference in bacon types. You might be buying Loin Bacon, whereas americans eat Belly Bacon. I was traveling with two australians, who found the bacon here to be quite a stumbling block! They'd rip all the fat off, it was crazy.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I think this is a good time for a reminder that food prices vary. Keep track of prices around you and find the best deal for where you live.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Raw Pork Belly is routinely $2-4 a pound (depends on if there's a sale on). The only bacon I've seen for the prices you're quoting in 'Economy Bacon', which is almost entirely fat, and sliced micron thin. It's almost tasteless, and shrinks soooo smallll in the pan. It's depressing.

Also, seeing that you're measuring in kilos, i'm assuming you're not American? There is a difference in bacon types. You might be buying Loin Bacon, whereas americans eat Belly Bacon. I was traveling with two australians, who found the bacon here to be quite a stumbling block! They'd rip all the fat off, it was crazy.

Yes, I'm australian.

Bacon comes in three types:

1. Just the belly. referred to as streaky bacon. Normally $12-13/kg (so about $6/pound), but if you showed it to most people they'd say 'what the gently caress is this rubbish it's mostly fat!' and screw up their noses at it.

2. Middle bacon - the full rasher consisting of the belly strip and the loin at one end. This is the cheapest bacon - around $10-11/kg. I'd say it's also the most commonly purchased.

3. Shortcut bacon - just the loin, pretty much no fat. Typically around $16/kg. This is considered the most premium bacon, and is what snobs and health freaks buy; and what people expect to receive when eating out.

These prices are for deli grade products - prepackaged poo poo from the supermarket shelf is more like $7-8/kg for middle rashers.

By comparison, buying the raw pork to make my own bacon would cost around $14/kg.

It's really quite idiotic. The 'fat is flavour' thing has long since been drowned out by the 'never eat animal fats' brigade, and whilst I agree with minimising animal fats and trying to only ever cook with olive oil (my ancestry is greek after all) I do appreciate the value of full flavour meat products.

I once tried to convince my grandmother that stewing cuts like beef shin made stews taste much nicer. She took one look at it and said 'I'm not buying that! It only costs $8/kg! look at all the fat on it! In my village we had a saying: The cheap meat is eaten by the dogs' and then proceeded to buy fillet steak for her stew.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Lord Bude posted:

I once tried to convince my grandmother that stewing cuts like beef shin made stews taste much nicer. She took one look at it and said 'I'm not buying that! It only costs $8/kg! look at all the fat on it! In my village we had a saying: The cheap meat is eaten by the dogs' and then proceeded to buy fillet steak for her stew.

I want to see what she puts in her lamb stew.

Anyhoo, it's generally cheaper to smoke your own bacon, rather then purchase a similar grade of the quality bacon a smoker turns out. You can smoke a ton of other things, like fish! Smoked Salmon is amazing, but not really cheap eats (unless you are in coastal alaska and have salmon coming out of your ears).

The best cheap fish, in my opinion, is Tilapia. It's a bit delicate, but delicious. Takes well to foil pocket cooking. Buy it Individually Flash Frozen, not 'previously frozen'.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

I want to see what she puts in her lamb stew.

French cutlets. I'm not kidding. $40/kg french loving cutlets.

She doesn't understand the concept of different cuts of meat coming from different parts of the same animal, and being good for different purposes. When we try to explain it, she doesn't believe us and insists that if the meat is so much cheaper it must come from some really old diseased animal.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 11, 2014

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

That's why she's with such a white dude!!!

But seriously she just does not like it. I don't question it because I was making poo poo with thighs before her, but given the choice of her cooking and me cooking I will take those reigns and get it down.

e: I made oxtail stew one day and she ate the hell out of it. It's just a weird ingrained preference from her super whitebread parents only serving breastmeat any time it came up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Lord Bude posted:

French cutlets. I'm not kidding. $40/kg french loving cutlets.

She doesn't understand the concept of different cuts of meat coming from different parts of the same animal, and being good for different purposes. When we try to explain it, she doesn't believe us and insists that if the meat is so much cheaper it must come from some really old diseased animal.

That is so sad. Nothing will be left for you in the will because she spent it on lamb.

Oh well, better in a decent stew then destroyed on some yob's grill, as i have seen done.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That lamb anecdote caused me to experience physical pain I read it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Lord Bude posted:

US bacon prices have been really high for the last few months, I believe it was due to some swine epidemic which forced pork farmers to destroy a lot of animals. I haven't seen reasonably-priced bacon since like February. If you buy something reasonably decent it's probably 6-7 bucks per pound, and the lovely stuff will cost 3.50-5 bucks for a 12 ounce package of lovely, thin slices, and that's shopping at the most affordable grocery in town.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 11, 2014

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes, I'm australian.

Bacon comes in three types:

1. Just the belly. referred to as streaky bacon. Normally $12-13/kg (so about $6/pound), but if you showed it to most people they'd say 'what the gently caress is this rubbish it's mostly fat!' and screw up their noses at it.

2. Middle bacon - the full rasher consisting of the belly strip and the loin at one end. This is the cheapest bacon - around $10-11/kg. I'd say it's also the most commonly purchased.

3. Shortcut bacon - just the loin, pretty much no fat. Typically around $16/kg. This is considered the most premium bacon, and is what snobs and health freaks buy; and what people expect to receive when eating out.

These prices are for deli grade products - prepackaged poo poo from the supermarket shelf is more like $7-8/kg for middle rashers.

By comparison, buying the raw pork to make my own bacon would cost around $14/kg.

Another Australian confirming that yep, it's cheaper to buy bacon than make your own here.

I used to live in Japan and was completely unable to find anything like the bacon I wanted to eat, so I started making my own. Pork belly is cheap in Japan, the hardest part was finding pink salt. Once that was done, I didn't eat store bought bacon the rest of the two years I was there.

Now I'm back home, and the only people buying pork belly are people influenced by reality tv cooking shows, hoping to be gourmet. Supermarkets price pork belly to match the perceived gourmet value, so it ends up being much cheaper to just buy the bacon ready made. It may be possible to get belly cheaper if you make friends with a good butcher, but they're hard to find.

Also worth noting that the price of food, and literally everything else, is more expensive in Australia than in the U.S.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Isn't that also because $AUD and $USD are not equivalent though? At the moment $1 AU is worth about $0.87 USD.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades

femcastra posted:

Another Australian confirming that yep, it's cheaper to buy bacon than make your own here.

I used to live in Japan and was completely unable to find anything like the bacon I wanted to eat, so I started making my own. Pork belly is cheap in Japan, the hardest part was finding pink salt. Once that was done, I didn't eat store bought bacon the rest of the two years I was there.

Now I'm back home, and the only people buying pork belly are people influenced by reality tv cooking shows, hoping to be gourmet. Supermarkets price pork belly to match the perceived gourmet value, so it ends up being much cheaper to just buy the bacon ready made. It may be possible to get belly cheaper if you make friends with a good butcher, but they're hard to find.

Also worth noting that the price of food, and literally everything else, is more expensive in Australia than in the U.S.

Any Asian markets around you? I've noticed they price belly wicked cheap, whereas I can't even find it in my standard supermarket.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nicol Bolas posted:

Isn't that also because $AUD and $USD are not equivalent though? At the moment $1 AU is worth about $0.87 USD.

It's got more to do with low population and huge land area driving up transport costs, crazy high rents, and the fact that adult shop assistants earn $21 dollars an hour.

Even when the Aus dollar was higher than the US dollar we still paid more for stuff. Overseas companies also like to charge us arbitrarily higher prices for stuff - a new release videogame is often $100 for eg, 25 dollars for a new release paperback or 35 dollars for a dvd is common.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

OlyMike posted:

Any Asian markets around you? I've noticed they price belly wicked cheap, whereas I can't even find it in my standard supermarket.

Funny enough, the Asian markets here are in a very Korean area and belly is not cheap at all because of the demand. Premarinated bulgogi (pork or beef) is cheaper per pound.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

e: I made oxtail stew one day and she ate the hell out of it.
Oh hey whatup oxtail friend

The prices here for oxtail went up to $7.99/lb in some places. It was like $3.50/lb last year :psypop:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Funny enough, the Asian markets here are in a very Korean area and belly is not cheap at all because of the demand. Premarinated bulgogi (pork or beef) is cheaper per pound.

Luckily for you bulgogi is delicious. And kimchi is very good for you, buy some of that too.

butterflygds
Mar 14, 2011
Since there has been a lot of talk of bacon here lately, I buy our bacon at Aldi's (this is the only meat I buy there). The one near us carries an uncured, applewood smoked bacon that runs about 3.50 for 12oz and for our family of two, lasts for two meals (usually homemade biscuits and bacon for Sunday breakfast). The same bacon at a regular grocery store is usually at least twice that price and it tastes so much better than the "cured" bacon with all the nitrates. I also save the bacon fat and use it to make flour tortillas or tamales.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

For my 2 cents on bacon, I like Trader Joes bacon ends & pieces. It's $2.99 for a pack, which is pretty cheap compared to other stores, and the bacon pieces are always ultra thick cut. They're great for any cooking involving bacon, especially soups/stews, and salads. The only catch is that it's difficult to get them to be extra crispy due to how thick cut all the pieces are, but I offset that by thinking about the fact that 1 piece is like having 3 pieces of normal bacon, so it evens out anyway.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

butterflygds posted:

Since there has been a lot of talk of bacon here lately, I buy our bacon at Aldi's (this is the only meat I buy there). The one near us carries an uncured, applewood smoked bacon that runs about 3.50 for 12oz and for our family of two, lasts for two meals (usually homemade biscuits and bacon for Sunday breakfast). The same bacon at a regular grocery store is usually at least twice that price and it tastes so much better than the "cured" bacon with all the nitrates.
It would be a safe bet that the label will have "celery powder" or "celery juice" on your supposedly nitrate-free meat. Celery juice is not regulated and could actually have more nitrates than traditionally cured meat, hth

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
When you are on a budget, the best thing to do is wait for a sale, get two packs of good bacon bogo, put one raw pack in the freezer. Split the second pack in half, fry the four slices of good bacon, freeze the cooked, and treat yourself to a bit of bacon with breakfast or on a sandwitch for 4 days. A slice goes a long way for flavor. The other half, seal well and refrigerate, use as needed for up to 3 weeks. Well sealed and refridgerated CURED bacon keeps okay. Frozen keeps for years.

Also, yeah, celery has nitrates up the wazoo. Unless you are railing salt like cocaine or have a specific nitrate sensitivity, you have nothing to fear from cured meats.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Luckily for you bulgogi is delicious. And kimchi is very good for you, buy some of that too.

I make my own! It's extremely easy and inexpensive and by its nature you can customize the hell out of it.

You don't even have to wait for it to ferment (but it gets better when it does)

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/yangbaechu-kimchi

A head of Napa cabbage is very inexpensive and makes a massive amount. The most expensive part of that is the 99 cent scallion.

I really have to make a big tub of it, its been a while. I also just got my jars from my old roommate so I need to make pickles again.

Ferment or pickle all vegetables

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm a couple of weeks away from being able to harvest a ton of beetroot from my garden, courtesy of me impulse buying a bunch of different seedlings when my store had a 'get ready for spring' display.

So, besides slicing them and sticking them in hamburgers, what are some good things to do with beetroot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

They are great julienned into a quick pickle, make beat salad, borscht, cube/salt/oil and roast in a covered baking dish to spritz with vinegar when done and keep around for general deliciousness for a few days.