Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bongwizzard posted:

This guy showed me some rig, who's name I forget, that was like a Carolina rig, but maybe 3" up from the hook, you place a small bobber. This floats the baited hook off the bottom, but still lets the rig hold in current.
Cool, I heard of this poking around online, wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding it but I guess it was right on. I suppose a good-sized corkie with a peg to hold it in place would work pretty well unless the bait is too heavy.

And now I have an excuse to get my two-rod validation. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Thanks for that image I think I'll try that out for flounder this weekend. Will use a clear casting bubble though.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

That's not too far off from what I'm using for halibut. I wonder if I could put a small float near the hook to keep the bait off the bottom a bit.

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

I need some help deciphering the regulations in California regarding fish reports. I haven't fished since 8th grade (20+ years) and never in CA, so this is all a bit strange to me. It appears that when going after certain fish (sturgeon, steelhead trout, etc.) you need to fill out a report about where and when you caught it. But what if I'm not fishing specifically for them and just end up hooking one? Do I need to go to the store and buy the report for it? Also, with the steelhead report you need to fill it out even if you don't catch anything. Does this mean that if I'm simply in an area where steelhead might be caught I have to possess and fill out the report? That seems kind of nuts.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

TheDon01 posted:

That's not too far off from what I'm using for halibut. I wonder if I could put a small float near the hook to keep the bait off the bottom a bit.

The float idea sounds like this. I found this while looking for the other picture so I have no advice about it. But I may try it for catfish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That70sShirt posted:

I need some help deciphering the regulations in California regarding fish reports. I haven't fished since 8th grade (20+ years) and never in CA, so this is all a bit strange to me. It appears that when going after certain fish (sturgeon, steelhead trout, etc.) you need to fill out a report about where and when you caught it. But what if I'm not fishing specifically for them and just end up hooking one? Do I need to go to the store and buy the report for it? Also, with the steelhead report you need to fill it out even if you don't catch anything. Does this mean that if I'm simply in an area where steelhead might be caught I have to possess and fill out the report? That seems kind of nuts.

I wouldn't worry about catching either of those two.
Where are you fishing btw? I fished in CA for 30+ years and never worried about cards for those when just fishin'.

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

I wouldn't worry about catching either of those two.
Where are you fishing btw? I fished in CA for 30+ years and never worried about cards for those when just fishin'.

I live along the Carquinez Straight (which joins the Sac river delta and SF Bay), so I figure I'll be fishing there mostly. The straight, and particularly an area near where I live, is ripe with sturgeon; people are pulling them out of the water on a daily basis, which is why I was curious about the report cards. I likely couldn't land one with my experience level anyway.

It would be nice if I didn't have to worry about the reports. I was hoping that I could take up fishing again as just a relaxing hobby, but with all the crazy rules and regulations it seems anything but. :/

That70sShirt fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 27, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Atticus_1354 posted:

The float idea sounds like this. I found this while looking for the other picture so I have no advice about it. But I may try it for catfish.

80lb mainline :stare: How big are those drat catfish?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm pretty sure that's not originally for catfish found in North America.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Channel cats and blues found at the mouths of large dams would put that to the test.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

That's the rig I was talking about!

As to line strength, the difference you're looking at is static load verse dynamic load, a 10 pound catfish puts way more than 10 pounds of force on a line.

Edit: not to mention factors like abrasion resistance and in general line handling, tons of reason to use a much thicker line.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 28, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

As to line strength, the difference you're looking at is static load verse dynamic load, a 10 pound catfish puts way more than 10 pounds of force on a line.

Edit: not to mention factors like abrasion resistance and in general line handling, tons of reason to use a much thicker line.

That still seems like overkill, don't you use your drag to reduce the load on the line? For comparison I use 20lb mainline when targeting gummy sharks, mulloway and snapper which can grow quite large; that outfit handles stringrays which are much more powerful than those target species.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Why a circle hook for cats?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Atticus_1354 posted:

poo poo, wish I knew about that rig on Sunday when I was at the dock. Crabs kept stealing my bait. I'll have to try it next time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

That still seems like overkill, don't you use your drag to reduce the load on the line? For comparison I use 20lb mainline when targeting gummy sharks, mulloway and snapper which can grow quite large; that outfit handles stringrays which are much more powerful than those target species.

I suspect the difference is that cats are often pulled from cover, where as the sharks/snapper etc are generally found in open water? Idk, but it seems really common to use 50-80lb mono when going after big rear end catfish around here. The record bluecat in the Potomac River is like 80 pounds, and if you are serious about fishing for them it seems like you can get ones in the 30-40lb range pretty consistently.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Planet X posted:

Why a circle hook for cats?

So they set the hook when they run, it gets them in the mouth and helps keep them from swallowing the hook.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I suspect the difference is that cats are often pulled from cover, where as the sharks/snapper etc are generally found in open water? Idk, but it seems really common to use 50-80lb mono when going after big rear end catfish around here. The record bluecat in the Potomac River is like 80 pounds, and if you are serious about fishing for them it seems like you can get ones in the 30-40lb range pretty consistently.

Hauling them out of snags is different I guess. Even still, I haven't heard of many people targeting big, dirty fighting fish like mulloway, murray cod and kingfish on anything heavier than a 20-30lb mainline.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Channel and blues can top 100lbs in over a 100ft of snaggy lovely bottom. This ain't your creek side or pond cats this is big beasts in deep turgid water.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'd be very tempted to change that 'sacrificial leader' to like 8 or 10 pound mono. Breaking 20 or 30 pound mono from a snag takes a lot of force.

I think as far as the high pound test goes, the smaller diameter of braid makes it almost like a 'better safe than sorry' choice for horsing fish out of snags or if you run into a big fish. A lot of flathead fishermen up here use very heavy line because they might hook into a 40-50 pounder, or you could hook into a 60+ pound sturgeon as well.

I've caught a 40 pound sturgeon on an extra heavy musky rod with 90 pound test, and it still peeled out line and was extremely tiring to get boatside.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I'm thinking about buying a 12' Old Town Stillwater Canoe from craigslist to fish on the 'no gas motors' lakes around here. I haven't been in a canoe since I was around 12 and I'm fat. Is this a bad idea?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I bought a 14' Old Town thinking I would fish out of it and also be able to bring a passenger along. I've had passengers in it 3 times, and every time I go fishing in it I wish I'd bought a kayak instead.

Danith
May 20, 2006
The guy is selling it with seats with backs installed, electric motor, life jackets, oars, anchor, and a kit to hold it on the car which is why I'm interested, since I have none of that.

Also, I feel if I had a kayak I would tip over all the time (never actually been in one)

edit: and it is light enough that I could just bring it out myself, and it's small and light enough to fit in my 1 car garage with my car

Danith fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 29, 2016

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
It is really worth renting a canoe and a kayak to see if you really like them. Call around to your local shops also. Some will let you try them out or will do water days where people can paddle their products around. Also not all canoes are the same and not all kayaks are the same. Decide what you want and then look around. I don't know about your area but around here a canoe set up like you describe is easy to find so I wouldn't jump on the first deal.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
From my limited experience is in canoes, they seem to be much harder to paddle the kayak. Move sit on top fishing kayaks are rated for a 500 pound capacity. The trade off course is increased boat weight.

I would strongly suggest trying to get even a few minutes of paddle time in each before you buy something. I would also look at hybrids like the native ultimate, I think there a few others on the market now too.

Danith
May 20, 2006
Thanks for the responses. I'm in the Minneapolis MN area (well, west of it, so Carver County) and there are a lot of canoes on craigslist but most of them look beat to crap and don't have all the extra gear I would need.

The lake near here does rent canoes and kayaks (and rowboats with electric motor that I've taken out a couple times). The canoes are 17' aluminum canoes and I can't get a friend to try it with me, and the kayaks are all small sit-inside kayaks so I haven't tried them out :(

Also, my brother has a kayak and canoe and he says he likes his canoe better, but I think it's because his kayak is a sit-inside

oh, also a friend would probably come with me at least 50% of the time so.. I don't know :|

Danith fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 29, 2016

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Consider a small Jon boat, especially if you're going to be motoring around off a battery. They can be had small enough to fit on a car rooftop, light enough for a single person to handle, they're FAR more stable to stand up in, not as susceptible to wind.

I mean, if it's a great deal for all that then go for it. You can always sell the canoe, they don't really depreciate much unless damaged. But you really ought to give a kayak or Jon boat a try before you make up your mind.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I was looking for something light and smallish because I have a Cavalier and no trailer hitch, and a 1 car garage that can barely hold a car so it would have to be either high on the side, or hanging from the ceiling.

The deal I was looking at was this for $699

Canoe: 12 ft, green, wired for trolling motor in back, battery in front, for even weighting
1. Two padded bucket seats (removable for storage and transport) with backs makes it the most comfortable canoe ride you've ever had
2. Additional portable seat stand with additional padded bucket seat allows a third passenger with comfort seating (fits over portage bar)
3. Two wooden oars
4. Two life vests
5. MinnKota Trolling motor (model 35, 24# thrust)
6. Battery case (no battery)
7. Anchor, rope, line wrapper
8. Two movable fishing rod holders
9. Rackless transport carrier (foam blocks, center strap, rope on either end), which can be used to transport canoe on ANY car, even without a rack.
10. Two storage containers (for the gear)

Maybe I'll hold off for now and just continue renting the boat ($12/hr and can only have them out until 6:30pm) and fishing from the fishing pier

Danith fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 12, 2016

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Check with the state laws, I know in TX anything with a motor had to be registered and that adds a potential hidden cost.

Defenitely paddle both if you can, I found I hated a canoe and loved the kayaks instead, especially one designed for fishing.

Low Effort Name
Sep 22, 2014
If the canoe has a beam of less than about 33-35 inches you can just use a kayak paddle in it, I found it to be the best of both worlds in terms of ease-of-use and weight capacity/stability. I fish out of a OT guide 119 with a basspro kayak paddle in the biggest size. Smaller canoes can get pretty tippy, I just sit on the bottom and it is rock solid - Had a guy on a jet ski wash me from 10ft away going like 40mph and it didn't roll.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Kayaks are a lot faster and easier to paddle but you'll probably get wet in a sit on top yak. They're very easy to fish from once you get it set up properly:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I went for a fish for the first time in a while today, it was a pretty dirty day with just a pike for my for my trouble but it was still nice to get out on the water.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

What are some good cheap fishing yaks? Craigslist is not an option. Need something I could haul on top of an old subaru.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Whale Cancer posted:

What are some good cheap fishing yaks? Craigslist is not an option. Need something I could haul on top of an old subaru.

Do you have a West Marine near you? Their house brand "Pompano" is iirc an older Wilderness design/mold. I got one during an end of season sale for like $350. It is not super stable if you are 200+ and is very feature poor, but is a good solid sit on top that is decently light and paddles/tracks pretty well.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Salmon fishing is the best fishing I have ever done in my life. Tell me more about salmon fishing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I would also like to know about salmon fishing, but specifically about bankfishing for them in rivers of the Pacific NW (Columbia/Yakima/Snake). Anyone?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Any particular run of salmon you guys are interested in? Up here at least they're all fished kinda differently.

In other fishing news, the wife and I explored a new bay north of here (St. James Bay). Not much action as we decided to bail kinda early, it was smooth sailing across Lynn Canal but the winds and swells were starting to stack up in the afternoon and the wife isn't too fond of slow, bumpy and wet trips across the inlet.

Caught one lil halibut, as we pulled up to the dock there was a lady from the university doing her thesis research on halibut/flounder diets. I donated her the stomach and intestines.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nice! What weight was that halibut? I have a hard time telling with that flat shape and all.
I'm after fall chinook and fall/winter steelhead.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I heard silvers are awesome fighters. I'm looking to get after them in rivers in Alaska. I got a good amount of pink today.

That halibut is rad.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Nice! What weight was that halibut? I have a hard time telling with that flat shape and all.

The research lady weight it at slightly over 7kg, so 15ish lbs. It's a tiny one, the pair I posted a page or two ago were about 45lbs.

Out walking my dogs at the moment, I'll type up my lovely advice on salmon when I get home.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Mukulu posted:

I heard silvers are awesome fighters. I'm looking to get after them in rivers in Alaska. I got a good amount of pink today.

That halibut is rad.

TotalLossBrain posted:

So my experience with salmon is long, but limited to a few areas throughout Alaska, mainly Cook Inlet, Prince William sound, and the Anchor river and Kenai river/tributaries with a few trips here and there but mostly those 4 locations.

Chinook (aka King) Salmon.
Earlier in the spring/summer you can catch them feeding out in the sea. That early they're usually found fairly deep, 80+ft and you need downriggers to effectively fish for them. Later in the year as the spawn approaches they feed closer to the surface and are easier to catch. For trolling in the sea I personally always use whole herring (smallish ones, 6-7") with a sliding hook mooching rig and hook the herring up so it has one hook out the side of its head and the bottom hook out the other side near its tail. You know its right when you drag it through the water and it does nice wide, slow spiral. This is supposed to mimic a wounded fish.
As the run gets going and they start making their way into fresh water you can start shore fishing for them. When fishing freshwater for kings I try and use cured salmon roe clumps on a single hook with bobber if the watershed allows bait, if it's lures only I like vibrax and pixies.

Coho (silver) Salmon
Never tried to fish them early in the year. I imagine they're out there somewhere and probably fish similarly to early kings. Once the run starts though Silvers are by far my favorite to fish for. Mukulu is right, silvers are probably pound for pound the most fightingest fish in the Pacific. Fishing saltwater I fish them the same as kings, herring on a sliding mooch rig. Once they get close to shore, depending on the area, snagging may be an option, cast a big rear end weighted trebble hook out there and then yank that fucker back as hard as you can. If ya snag em in the tail or back you're gonna have one hell of a fight on your hands.
Freshwater silvers I fish similarly to freshwater kings, cured egg bait if allowed if not then vibrax/pixie lures. The majority of my silver fishing is saltwater out of Seward.

Sockeye (Red) Salmon
My favorite eating salmon, I don't think I've ever fished in saltwater for reds. Once the run starts though they come in THICK. The rivers I've fished for them you can usually stand just in the water a couple feet and see them swiming by right in front of you. None of the places I fish for them allow bait so it's all lures. I've had probably 90% of my reds caught on large colorful flies, they call em Coho Flies but I only use em for sockeye. Dipnetting is also an option, it's not as fun as polefishing but it fills a freezer for winter right quick. My parents just went last weekend and got like 17.

Pink (Humpback) Salmon
Never target them, usually catch a few fishing for silvers. They're alright if you get them early enough but once they start to spawn and change color they're p.much garbage. Good smoked.

Chum (Dog) Salmon

The lowest tier of Alaska salmon, they seem to run earlier than other salmon so I never end up catching many. Don't think I've ever kept one to eat myself. When they start to spawn out they get gnarly looking. Feed em to your pupper.

Steelhead
Not actually a salmon, they're a rainbow trout (subspecies?) that has a saltwater ocean phase like salmon. They get a lot bigger and a little darker than your typical rainbow trout. Fishing for them is basically like silvers/reds though. They respond well to good smelly baits and the usual lures. They don't get quite as big as salmon typically do, so sometimes large salmon gear can kinda be a mouthfull for them if you're targeting steelies. Beautiful looking fish, wish I saw more of them. Unfortunately they're kinda rare where I fish so I never target them and don't really know a great way to get em.

If you're going to be fishing for any salmon in a river within a mile or two of the mouth of the river, Fish the tides.
Wait till low tide starts to turn back to high, there will be a big pulse of fish swiming upstream with the rising tide.

Thats probably enough salmon posting for one post. Remember this is just one idiots anecdotes on fish in a few specific areas, ask your locals. Most are idiots with poo poo advice (see above) but if you ask enough you can get a consensus on some general tactics for your area.

Also if you got a few bucks and you're on vacation up here toss it at fishing charter instead of trying to wing it yourself. They know where all the hot spots are at and will usually have some top notch gear to use. You will 95% of the time catch plenty of fish and it really helps out the local economy.

Feel free to post any followup or more specific questions.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 31, 2016