Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah I love Bastion's character but he's not a good person just because he can be sad afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would you call him a trash fire

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean i do lmao

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
drat son I must be missing something because as far as I can attest Bastion's entire screen time has mostly involved him doing a whole shitload of nothing interesting along with literally everyone else who has been hogging the focus this entire chapter.

This is loving boring and I want my goddamn plot back.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is plot

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Tollymain posted:

this is plot

Just not the one we have any reason to be invested in.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like learning more about the fuckup prettyboy in need of a therapist and his murderous possessed lizard friend

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I don't. Or more accurately I don't think these Saturday morning cartoon villains have really earned this ridiculously extended attention and all the broad strokes political nonsense is giving me vertigo and it all better manifest into some kind've point soon because god drat Guts can't stay on the boat forever ok!!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im p sure anadyne's going take over the silver and murder prakhuta soonish

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I don't. Or more accurately I don't think these Saturday morning cartoon villains have really earned this ridiculously extended attention and all the broad strokes political nonsense is giving me vertigo and it all better manifest into some kind've point soon because god drat Guts can't stay on the boat forever ok!!

gotcha covered, boss

*trots out Murkoph*

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
at least im under the impression that hes gonna be leashed by ilganyig the next time we see him

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

gotcha covered, boss

*trots out Murkoph*

noooo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

this is it manifesting into some kind of point, and these guys having some kind of point after spending the last hintillion pages just lurking in the margins of the comic going fufufufu~

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
I mean, narratively this comic almost never sits down and is like "here is the character explaining in detail the Master Plan (tm.)" You put it together yourself, as the reader, by assembling what each character knows and gain a coherent view of all of it in a way that nobody in-comic can, because nobody has all the information (except maybe Ilganyag). This scene has been a major insight into what Cutter and Bastion were planning on doing - namely that Cutter never really cared about supporting Bell and just wants to Kill All Humans, and that Bastion's now on the fence about this plan he's involved in because he's only fine with Kill All Humans provided you are doing it to Avenge Your People instead of I Don't Care About My People I Just Really Hate Humans.

This is all character motivation that is absolutely gonna pay off, because characterization is a priority for the comic and it's handled excellently across the board. This scene lays the groundwork for Bastion potentially betraying Cutter in the future, if that ends up happening, because that possibility is now perfectly set up. (Or Bastion becoming his own, other side in a story that is currently up to a minimum of four sides and in actuality probably has waaaaaaay more.) Cope is really dedicated to making sure the reader understand's every character's personality, history, motivations and flaws, and how everything they do is a direct result of those factors, even if the end result is them being a lovely person.

I mean, the fact that we only get three pages a week does gently caress with the pacing, and can make scenes feel like faffing about even when they really aren't - it's just that it's a relatively long scene so we're forced into it for a month, instead of the few minutes it would take in a book.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i think a big part of it post-Kasslyne is that the whole political intrigue sideplot has about twice as many moving parts as it really should to be legible or interesting, even as a convoluted political intrigue sideplot.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
I think your assumption that the political intrigue is a sideplot is incorrect. Literally everyone thus far besides Ilganyag is somehow related to the political intrigue - it's the prime mover behind almost everything.

Duane and Sette are sent out because Bastion and Cutter want to use Duane in the silver. Nary takes the job from Bastion and sends Sette because he wants in with Jab Beadman, who is supporting Bell's rebellion (and probably knows Bastion somehow, if you think about it logically). Jivi was swept up by the Red Berry Boys, who were hired out by Nary, who is only doing what he's doing because of the existence of Bell's rebellion. Toma and Elka were trying to catch the Red Berry Boys, etc etc etc. Every action that everyone's taken, with the exceptions of Ilganyag and Murkoph, are ultimately traceable back to Cresce's political instability, even if the characters acting didn't know it.

I also don't know that it's fair to say it has twice as many parts as it needs before the story's even over. We have been perpetually uncovering unknown links between characters as the story progresses, and I think when the whole thing comes to light, most things involve would be necessary. We're still technically in the set-up phase, since Unsounded is divided into three "books" (that do not correlate to the physical books.) We're a few chapters away from the end of book one. There's a looooong way to go yet.

Edit: Kasselyne is the name of the entire continent. Did you mean Ethelmik?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah I don't think anyone is going to look at those two paragraphs and not see exactly what I'm saying about it just being unnecessarily convoluted. The comic's rapidly gotten farther and farther away from its original core narrative of Sette and Duane doing their little hero's journey thing, as every ten pages we switch to a new b-plot surrounding some schmo who appeared in one panel previously who's chamberpot-cleaner to the Queen's secretary and secretly a dark wizard plotting to smuggle capitalist blue jeans into the country and oh my god just pick something, pick any one of these things and develop it enough to be interesting and move the plot forwards, we don't need to also know what Captain Toma's ex's new husband whose name I am never going to possibly remember or care about is getting up to right now.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 27, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I definitely feel like the pacing of this comic is rough and I find a lot of the plot difficult to follow but I don't feel like any of it is unnecessary. Like, it could move a little more briskly and spend less time on exposition and introducing new characters and backstories left and right but I feel like learning about Bastion is probably real important in the grand scheme of all this considering Duane's existence is tied up in his business.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
That was never the core narrative, Sette and Duane's journey was the method by which to start small and then pull the camera back as you introduce the reader to more and more. Its fine if you liked it better when it was focused on them, but its not like Cope got bored and came up with all this other stuff on the fly.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the whole Bastion-Cutter thing is by miles the least unnecessary thing the comic's spent time on in a hundred pages, I just get why people are getting fed up with it and interpreting it as "this part, specifically, sucks because it's the part where I gave up". It'd be just fine and pretty interesting if it wasn't deeply buried in a terminal case of ~worldbuilding~ cancer.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I do think there's a ton of plots to juggle at once and it's trying to do too many things in too many pages. Like if it did some more broad strokes detailing on some of the outer plot threads it might be good. The Ruck stuff I think has been more impenetrable honestly I have no idea what the gently caress that creepy snake pervert is even doing other than somehow involved in the political cesspit that's going on. I dunno I'm still fine with it I guess but I'm getting lost for sure.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess the comic's always jumped around between different storylines and groups of characters, but I definitely preferred Sette and Duane's comedy routine or Elka and Toma's beat cop bit. I'm not really a fan of following mad scientist torture experiments or terrible people politically maneuvering against each other while they orchestrate genocides.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Glagha posted:

I do think there's a ton of plots to juggle at once and it's trying to do too many things in too many pages. Like if it did some more broad strokes detailing on some of the outer plot threads it might be good. The Ruck stuff I think has been more impenetrable honestly I have no idea what the gently caress that creepy snake pervert is even doing other than somehow involved in the political cesspit that's going on. I dunno I'm still fine with it I guess but I'm getting lost for sure.
Ruck's just making friends and helping those friends and having the time of his life!

(Ruck is so creepy.)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It does seem like a bit too much going on all at once. It can take quite a while to get back to a storyline when you have so many subplots at the same time.

Off the top of my head, currently ongoing plots or groups (even if they are somehow intertwined), I can think of:

1. Duane and Sette
2. Quigly Matty and Jivi
3. Bastion and Timofey
4. Cutter and the silver
5. Ana and Knock
6. Toma and Elka
7. The Queen, Roger, her court, and Ruck
8. The Black Tongues and Ruck
9. Nary and Beadman
10. Bell and his revolution
11. Lady I

Also this chapter we have had

12. Bastion Deliceu and Cutter flashbacks
13. A diplomatic mission followed by an assassination
14. Some new characters at the shrine
15. Probably some stuff I forgot

Even if you cut it down to locations of character groups currently interacting you have:

1. The Shrine
2. The Silver
3. The Crescian capital
4. The Shartshane capital
5. The Black Tongue hangout

Also I think Cope said the next chapter is going to be an Alderode flashback (at least partially) so be ready to put even more on hold while we jump somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, I love this comic, but I totally get why it is so much to process. The Q&A tumblr actually helps me quite a bit with keeping track of what's up.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this is it manifesting into some kind of point, and these guys having some kind of point after spending the last hintillion pages just lurking in the margins of the comic going fufufufu~

well considering that they didn't do poo poo prior to that to earn this tearful reunion I guess what I mean is 'Some kind've point that involves characters I have a reason to care about'

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

It does seem like a bit too much going on all at once. It can take quite a while to get back to a storyline when you have so many subplots at the same time.

Off the top of my head, currently ongoing plots or groups (even if they are somehow intertwined), I can think of:

1. Duane and Sette
2. Quigly Matty and Jivi
3. Bastion and Timofey
4. Cutter and the silver
5. Ana and Knock
6. Toma and Elka
7. The Queen, Roger, her court, and Ruck
8. The Black Tongues and Ruck
9. Nary and Beadman
10. Bell and his revolution
11. Lady I

Also this chapter we have had

12. Bastion Deliceu and Cutter flashbacks
13. A diplomatic mission followed by an assassination
14. Some new characters at the shrine
15. Probably some stuff I forgot

Even if you cut it down to locations of character groups currently interacting you have:

1. The Shrine
2. The Silver
3. The Crescian capital
4. The Shartshane capital
5. The Black Tongue hangout

Also I think Cope said the next chapter is going to be an Alderode flashback (at least partially) so be ready to put even more on hold while we jump somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, I love this comic, but I totally get why it is so much to process. The Q&A tumblr actually helps me quite a bit with keeping track of what's up.

Basically this, The plot has become the plot equivalent of the brothel when the silver attacked in that you basically can't see whats loving going on and its just a bunch of noise and sound that may as well be watching Brownian motion through a microscope for all the importance it has since it seems determined to let any prior attachments cool while we see variegated edgy dipshits going about their day.

Gally posted:

That was never the core narrative, Sette and Duane's journey was the method by which to start small and then pull the camera back as you introduce the reader to more and more. Its fine if you liked it better when it was focused on them, but its not like Cope got bored and came up with all this other stuff on the fly.

Ah yes, the Alzheimers school of plot writing.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 28, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

well considering that they didn't do poo poo prior to that to earn this tearful reunion I guess what I mean is 'Some kind've point that involves characters I have a reason to care about'

Cutter did or was directly involved in almost everything bad that has happened in the comic so far. You could complain about bastion for this I guess, but for Cutter your whole complaint makes me wonder whether you've actually been reading the comic.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I saw him but weirdly enough the rhymy lizard who cut up a bunch of people including a little girl to make body packers hasn't really evolved to the point where I can care about him having a heartfelt reunion with his twink boyfriend I guess.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Glagha posted:

I kinda wonder if Ruck got tossed into the whole thing because the general reaction when she introduced Murkoph was so totally negative, so she kinda dropped him and never mentioned him again but wasn't willing to just let there be a sexy rape monster shaped hole in her comic

Motherfucker posted:

I saw him but weirdly enough the rhymy lizard who cut up a bunch of people including a little girl to make body packers hasn't really evolved to the point where I can care about him having a heartfelt reunion with his twink boyfriend I guess.

Cutter's been the immediate antagonist driving the story from early on and what with Duane's whole Frankenstein's monster deal we were always gonna wind up meeting his daddy but yeah the former is just not very interesting. Which seems like it was the point, all of the awful stuff happening is just rooted in the pettiest of bullshit and there isn't really a greater plan beyond sadism and greed, but then for some reason we need fifteen hundred layers of petty bullshit all running in parallel and to stop the comic to check in on the jerks faffing around ambiguously scheming on each and every one with the promise that it will be 1500 pages before any one scheme actually goes anywhere

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 28, 2018

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

whats really loving me up is how good and organic the worldbuilding was before we decided to ditch the interesting characters and just really focus on it... Like ok grandma cope focus up though, cmon.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Man, the complaints this page are making me feel like a space alien, I'm enjoying these arcs and feel like the story would be vastly diminished without them.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'll probably return to loving life once we get back to Dwayne and Sette but for now I'm getting that unique vertigo where you scroll down an artists twitter and hit the bits from before they had a popular webcomic and find out all their characters were ERP characters and it casts the sudden focus on the edgelords in a terrible light and you just want the nightmares to stop and everything to make sense again.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man I was just thinking for all the creepy murder rapist villains this series has, I have yet to see major complaints about Starfish. I wonder if that was just because he was such a bumbling idiot that had bad things happen to him constantly that you feel okay with the literal human trafficking pedophile because you know he's going to get poo poo on by life like he deserves. And now he's dead/half dead and being tortured by a pain monster so that's great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Starfish was always treated as a repulsive two-bit villain. He was unredeemable, but just an inconsequential pawn. And kind of goofy-looking.

Murkoph, on the other hand, is the author's creepy edgy husbando.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I like all of the individual plot threads but it's just too much, too soon. After the big climax with the silver the comic started zooming way out and introducing all of these complicated intersecting plots and it's all a bunch of overload. If things had been spun out longer and dealt with different parts of the conspiracy sequentially instead of trying to juggle all of them at once I think it would be way easier to keep up with and maintain interest in them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Starfish was always treated as a repulsive two-bit villain. He was unredeemable, but just an inconsequential pawn. And kind of goofy-looking.

Murkoph, on the other hand, is the author's creepy edgy husbando.

Yeah there's a difference between depicting pedophiles and glamorizing or fetishising them, when he'd show up onscreen I never had to worry that Cope might want to draw Starfish loving Sette

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 30, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The cool thing about the story is that you don't have to worry about someone lovely getting away with everything because Unsounded's world pretty much guarantees everyone gets theirs in the end, good or bad. As much as the "good" characters suffer, the badguys are gonna get it as badly.

Murk has been blissfully gone for a while so I'm back on the "we'll see what gets done with him" wagon rather than just hating him outright. The fact that Ashley seems to find him so dreamy is weird but that seems to happen with characters in that vein for some reason. I read a manga where a dude who has body mods where his burnt skin is literally stapled onto his body, and whom regularly murders people by burning them to death has a huge following of female fans who think he's really sexy and cool.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's Bonnie and Clyde Syndrome, or might be. An attraction to dangerous people, specifically those who've crossed a line. I can think of dozens of heinous characters in fiction who have dedicated followings and people fawning over them, and similarly strained and unhealthy pairings that wind up getting fetishized. You can buy matching shirts that read Her Joker, His Harley for instance.

Heck, there are quite a few real-life serial killers and high-profile criminals who've received fan mail and love letters post-conviction.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Three pages today, and ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fabricated posted:

Three pages today, and ouch.

Good to see Ana taking some concrete steps to change her life. :3: