Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's pretty awesome of you to do orders for people who can't get down there to get them. They're just collectables, right? I can't get that belle band from you and then use it in 6 months down there, correct? (I know we just covered this but I looked two pages back and my braindead rear end is missing it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Any chance of the limited editions still being around?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Well I probably screwed the pooch on this, as we're going to be at WDW from January 17th-24th and I haven't made a single dining or fastpass selection. How hosed am I this time of year? Guess I'll measure the kid in the morning to see what he qualifies for and make the best of it. It's not as if we won't be going back in a couple of years though.

My wife and I are taking our three year old, and I'm thinking a stroller from Kingdom Stroller is the way to go. Does someone need to stay with it all the time, or is it possible to leave it to ride a ride and pick it up after? I'd hate to have to alternate attractions just to babysit a stroller, but my son is not up to that much walking.

At least we have grandparents coming along who can have fun with the boy while we go have a drink at Epcot. Never been to WDW before, so this whole thing is a learning experience.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Loucks posted:

Well I probably screwed the pooch on this, as we're going to be at WDW from January 17th-24th and I haven't made a single dining or fastpass selection. How hosed am I this time of year? Guess I'll measure the kid in the morning to see what he qualifies for and make the best of it. It's not as if we won't be going back in a couple of years though.

My wife and I are taking our three year old, and I'm thinking a stroller from Kingdom Stroller is the way to go. Does someone need to stay with it all the time, or is it possible to leave it to ride a ride and pick it up after? I'd hate to have to alternate attractions just to babysit a stroller, but my son is not up to that much walking.

At least we have grandparents coming along who can have fun with the boy while we go have a drink at Epcot. Never been to WDW before, so this whole thing is a learning experience.

I think that Sun-Mon-Tues may be the Disney marathon days, so crowds will be moderate on those days, but every other day of your trip should be dead, as far as crowds are concerned. Keep trying to get the restaurant reservations you want, as people cancel/change all the time. Can't speak to FastPass, as I haven't experienced the new system yet.

Edit: Call 407-WDW-DINE and talk to a live person. They'll help you find available options & make the reservations for you.

You can rent a stroller from WDW right there at the park entrance. When it's time to ride something with Junior, don't leave valuables with the stroller, and park it at one of a million "stroller parking" areas all throughout the park. You can leave it unattended with very little risk...the whole system is built around leaving your stroller to go ride a ride. Tie something to the handle to help identify it.

40 inches is the first threshold for rides at Magic Kingdom, and it's required for stuff like Splash Mountain. The next threshold is 44, but that's for roller coasters. If your kid is under 40, he'll still be able to ride almost everything at MK.

Grandparents will be a huge help. Have a great time! Very jealous to see someone making their first visit!

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 16, 2015

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The marathon this weekend is the Star Wars one at disneyland, the Wdw marathon was last weekend.

It'll be busy but not quite in a christmas kind of way.

Most attractions have a cast member assigned to keep the stroller parking area tidy, so just don't leave valuables or your child in the stroller and it'll be fine. Most times one was taken (and I only saw it once or twice on my program) it was accidental, not malicious. Identical strollers, grabbed the wrong one sort of thing.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Lincoln posted:

I think that Sun-Mon-Tues may be the Disney marathon days, so crowds will be moderate on those days, but every other day of your trip should be dead, as far as crowds are concerned.

Nope. That was earlier in the month. I wanted to do the Dopey Challenge but was overruled. Probably for the best given the amount of walking we'll be doing.

Lincoln posted:

Keep trying to get the restaurant reservations you want, as people cancel/change all the time. Can't speak to FastPass, as I haven't experienced the new system yet.

I have no idea what I want. Guess I'll go read some more Disney fan sites. Only thing I've heard is Tony's around 9 for the electric parade, but their menu is kind of lovely. Also something abouy Dole Ice.

Lincoln posted:

You can rent a stroller from WDW right there at the park entrance. When it's time to ride something with Junior, don't leave valuables with the stroller, and park it at one of a million "stroller parking" areas all throughout the park. You can leave it unattended with very little risk...the whole system is built around leaving your stroller to go ride a ride. Tie something to the handle to help identify it.

Yeah, I know Disney offers strollers, but they appear to be uncomfortable hard plastic with zero storage space. I'll probably just spring for insurance from Kingdom so the kid will be comfortable and I have a place to stick my daypack without worrying about buying a replacement stroller.

Lincoln posted:

Grandparents will be a huge help. Have a great time! Very jealous to see someone making their first visit!

It's going to be good. We didn't even have to pay for the GPs. I'm hoping that after seven days everyone will be over-Disneyed so we can wait a couple of years to come back. I'm thinking three is borderline too young, but he's pumped about seeing Elsa and Mickey and Goofy, so maybe not.

Edit: Wow the My Disney Experience android app is a buggy piece of garbage. At least it finally acknowledged that everyone in my party exists. The web portal won't even do that.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 16, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Is the 2015 sorcerer mickey band still being sold?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's pretty awesome of you to do orders for people who can't get down there to get them. They're just collectables, right? I can't get that belle band from you and then use it in 6 months down there, correct? (I know we just covered this but I looked two pages back and my braindead rear end is missing it)

They are actual Magic Bands you use at the park. In the case of the MB I purchased for a fellow Goon it is purchased and activated as sold but it would still be registered on your MyMagic account and linked to existing bands or used as a new band. PM me if I made a mess of explaining it.

It's no big deal really, I just find the time to get out to the park, find the band and ship it out. The only pita was fashioning a box for this one I shipped overseas because the fuckers wanted double the price of the band in shipping giving me a box I could fit a shoes in.

For reference, this was taken from the bike path across the street from my house. That's MK fireworks..

Eventually there will be a road that cuts straight though where I can walk to the CM entrance but closer that this you cannot get short of being in the CM parking lot but only so close as Disney Gestapo has to close the road so you don't get too close and catch on fire. So it really won't kill me to drive ten minutes to the park and get a MB. It's good exercise.

skipdogg posted:

Any chance of the limited editions still being around?

Depends, I posted a page or two back what we saw the the park last week. Except for the Star Wars Weekends bands I think most the LE's are still around. I even saw the Big Hero six at Emporium on Tuesday when we went to Epcot.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Is the 2015 sorcerer mickey band still being sold?

This one? Yes. My wife had it in hand last week as part of the bands we mentioned.

Seriously though if anyone is interested in a band(s) please PM me off to the side and I can facilitate. If the Goon who requested the MB though me wants to chime in he is more than welcome to do so.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Do you know if they sell the bands at Downtown Disney? I would like to pick up the Ariel one next weekend while waiting to check in.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yes although I am not sure of which shop although my understanding is you can purchase them at either the Disney Pin Traders or DisneyQuest gift shop on the West Side. I avoid Marketplace, even more with the ongoing construction.

For anyone who had questions about purchasing MB's and how they are linked later here is a snip from the Disney Blogs site.

With the “Link-It Later” option, guests will be able to purchase solid-colored MagicBands (available in seven colors) and link them to a valid theme park admission at a future date. This new option lets guests purchase MagicBands as gifts.

Guests may visit their My Disney Experience account to associate MagicBands, using the “Link a MagicBand or Card” link.

Hope that helps!

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Yeah, I asked demonR6 if he could get me that Stitch MagicBand and he's been tremendously helpful and resourceful. If you're looking for exclusive WDW goods definitely PM him!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
A little more off the top...

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Today at Magic Kingdom was insanity. Nothing like mass crowds to make you go "oh, right it's a holiday weekend"

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Today at Magic Kingdom was insanity. Nothing like mass crowds to make you go "oh, right it's a holiday weekend"

How bad? We wanted to go tomorrow on a magic band run?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

How bad? We wanted to go tomorrow on a magic band run?

Winnie the Pooh was at a 55 minute wait all day, with at least 15 minutes for fastpass. I don't think tomorrow will be as bad though. Saturdays are our worst day because of various reasons (mainly every single annual passholder being like "Hey, Christmas is over right, won't be too bad")

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm beginning to think there is no good time at all to go to Disney. Crowds, crowds everywhere.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Going during crowded times is not ideal, but there are ways to manage it. Saying there's no good time to go to Disney is blasphemy and may be grounds for divorce. Shut your whore mouth.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Yeah, today was wild, but I don't really have a standard for comparison. Should I expect it to quiet down a bit by Tuesday?

Coming in totally unprepared wasn't a disaster. The boy had a lot of fun, although I think Small World confused him. This thread has been a big help, so thanks, everyone. I think I'm a convert at this point, and when we come back next winter or the winter after we'll know how to do it right.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm beginning to think there is no good time at all to go to Disney. Crowds, crowds everywhere.

My wife and I were just talking about it- I do kinda wonder if those truly "quiet" days are done. Not that every day is going to be like a holiday weekend but our visits during the last couple of years during usually slow times, it was much busier than say 5-10 years ago. It wasn't bad, but we didn't renew our passes as I think we're both a little tired of going right now. If my sister-in-law is still a CM, we might do the halloween thing again. We both enjoyed that and going to one of the early ones and having the park be truly empty was really interesting (and creepy).

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So Ariel, the Castle, 2015, princesses, Stitch, Christmas are what's at Epcot for MB's. More to follow.

Found two Big Hero 6 MB's at Studios. Also infernal Frozen bands but I would never buy those for someone.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 18, 2015

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Braksgirl posted:

Going during crowded times is not ideal, but there are ways to manage it. Saying there's no good time to go to Disney is blasphemy and may be grounds for divorce. Shut your whore mouth.

Came for the Disney chat, stayed for the Shut Your Whore Mouth.

Braksgirl, do you do Aulani vacations, or just WDW?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I do everything! Any Disney property, all-inclusives, all over the world.

I have a client later this year taking a cross-country rail trip from Vancouver to Toronto. That's a fun one.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

I do everything! Any Disney property, all-inclusives, all over the world.

I have a client later this year taking a cross-country rail trip from Vancouver to Toronto. That's a fun one.

I need to hit you up for cruise info then. We get an employee discount with the company I work for since they are our preferred partner but who knows what that mess involves.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'd be happy to help you with a cruise! I'm going on a Carnival myself in a week and a half. It's not DCL but the kids are staying home so I plan to do a lot of loafing and eating.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So those two weeks in parking seem to have paid off. I am officially being trained at a second attraction complex in Fantasyland, which is unheard of for a CP like myself.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

I'd be happy to help you with a cruise! I'm going on a Carnival myself in a week and a half. It's not DCL but the kids are staying home so I plan to do a lot of loafing and eating.

Sweet, thanks!

So trip report for MLK weekend. We arrived at the Epcot parking lot about 1p and it was about normal for what we expected. Front of the park was pretty sparse up through Mexico pavilion. We stopped at the Cava de Tequila for mandatory tequila shots and moved on.. from there on the park was packed. Not F&W type crowds but really busier than what the initial impression of the parking lot led us to believe. It was full of college cheerleaders, great if I would have been a single guy looking.

Here are the highlights of Epcot.. booze. Disney now sells moonshine at almost every merchandise store we ventured into. American pavilion gift shop.. moonshine. Canada? Moonshine. Random gift shop. Moonshine. WTF?

and then this..

We moved on to Studios afterwards.. the parking lot was filled on both sides. It was ridiculous, not even during Christmas when the Osborne lights was it this packed. The park was wall to wall as well as the parking lot indicated. The hat is coming along I guess.

We were able to watch an extended preview of the new Cinderella movie coming out soon.. as much as I hate to say it I am going to watch it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I might need that Batman Domo.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

So those two weeks in parking seem to have paid off. I am officially being trained at a second attraction complex in Fantasyland, which is unheard of for a CP like myself.

No poo poo! That's drat rare!

I had a friend who managed it but she did it by doing a second cp in the same area while her pirates proficencies were still up. She was a mansionpirate cp.

Which complex are they training you at? I start my tours training in two weeks (no more call center for a few months thank god) I'll keep an eye out for you.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

All those anonymous stops at Guest Services telling them how you saved our child from falling off the rail and onto the tracks, run over by a renegade gang of Brazilian youths or even that one time you saved us from the burning attraction paid off.

Braksgirl posted:

I might need that Batman Domo.

Just say the word and I am off to Epcot. It does look badass though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I don't know exactly where yet, because I haven't been given the training schedule. When I was asked where I wanted to train, the only complex I specified was Enchanted Tales with Belle, so I am hoping for that.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

demonR6 posted:

Just say the word and I am off to Epcot. It does look badass though.

The husband says it was there last time we went so I'm going to check for it next time we go. Thanks for offering!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

The husband says it was there last time we went so I'm going to check for it next time we go. Thanks for offering!

They always have the Domos, and Batman domo has been there at least since June.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What's "CP?"

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
College Program

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yeah, it's short hand for College Program participant, to differentiate us from Part Time/Full Time/Seasonal.

At least in Fantasyland, CPs cross-training is a usual no-no because of training budgets. They save that for people who work longer term, but since a)I'll be here for a total of a year by the time I am done and b)I went to Parking willingly for them, they made an exception in my case. I like it because having two attractions under my wing may make things a bit easier to go part time/full time in attractions, which I want to do.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They like to keep good people especially when they are reliable, cheerful and are a good fit for the Disney brand.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Trip report!

I went to WDW with my girlfriend from Monday January 5th to Wednesday the 7th (to avoid the Christmas crowds) and stayed at the All Star Sports resort. We did Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. My girlfriend grew up with all the Disney movies so I wanted to make sure that she had the best time. I did my research and tried to be very strategic with Fastpasses and touring plans and I think I was very successful.

Monday we checked in first thing in the morning and were at MK by 9 AM open. I managed to score a fast pass for 7 Dwarves at 4 PM so we went to the west side of the park and did all the major rides (Thunder Mountain, Pirates, Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion) by 10:30 AM. Splash Mountain was closed for a refurb, sadly. From there we just slowly made our way around the park clockwise. I couldn't get reservations for Be Our Guest so we had been checking in on it periodically while going between rides in that area. We went again around 2 PM and got turned away, but we lingered around for a few minutes and then they started letting people in standby. It was definitely worth it; the food was a cut above everything else we had at Disney and all three rooms were fantastically themed. Don't pay for drinks at BOG. There's self-serve pop machines and coffee dispensers with cups and everything that aren't well-guarded. We were pleased to find out during a visit to a Fastpass kiosk that park hours were also extended an hour from 10 PM to 11 PM. The attendant was not so pleased. We both agreed that our favourite thing at MK was the Peoplemover in Tomorrowland. We probably went on it 4 or 5 times. After a long day on our feet it was so relaxing to take off our shoes and have a 10 minute power nap. It's also super cool at night with all the lights in Tomorrowland. Another hilight was my girlfriend meeting Merida from Brave. She also has long red curly hair so they look like sisters. Overall it was just a great day. I'm usually pretty reserved but I found myself getting really into DISNEY. It's hard not to get caught up in it. Crowds weren't too terrible. Maybe 6-7/10. I think our top wait time was 30ish minutes for both Winnie the Pooh and the Little Mermaid, but we saw that 7 Dwarves was at 90 minutes went we went on with our FP. We managed to do everything we wanted to do at the park and never felt particularly rushed or crowded, expect when the crowd dispersed after Wishes.

Day 2 was Hollywood Studios. It was pretty slow at HS so crowds were pretty sparse. We did everything at the park expect for the car stunt show and the Disney Jr./Frozen stuff with basically no waits except for standby for Rock n Rollercoaster first thing in the morning (maybe 30 minutes wait) .We did Tower of Terror twice, once standby then Fastpass. Definitely ask to sit in the front for ToT if you think you might want to buy your photo, or just in general. I chose Toy Story Mania as our tier 1 FP around noon and we got there early so we had time to wait 20 minutes to meet Buzz and Woody. Biggest disappointment was wasting an additional FP+ for Fantasmic. I really wanted good seats for Fantasmic so I ended up booking an additional FP for Fantasmic fairly early in the day. We were disappointed to find that they had already started letting people in way before the FP window opened and it was pretty full by the time we got there and our seats were way on the left. There just didn't seem like a point to booking the FP and I would have rather done another ride on RnR instead. Fantasmic was still a great show though, so :shrug: Disney problems.

Finally day 3 was Animal Kingdom. There was 8 AM magic hours so we were there first thing in the morning and did the Safari twice and got some great shots. We took it pretty easy given all the walking of the two previous days, but we managed to see and do pretty much everything with minimal waits. It was the first day of a cold front in Orlando so I switched our FP from Kali River Rapids to a character meeting with Mickey and Minnie. I thought I was too cool for Mickey Mouse but you just get caught up in it and it ended up being a huge hilight for us. We had ribs for lunch from Flame Tree BBQ which I highly recommend. The biggest disappointment was the whole Dinoland area. We didn't bother with any of the midway stuff, and the Dinosaur ride really under delivered for us. We were at Universal Studios two years ago and their Jurassic Park area is significantly better. I know that it's Disney and it's for kids, but the whole area seemed lazy by Disney standards and wasn't worth the walk to that section.

Overall I think it turned out better that I even imagined. The crowds were perfect, weather was perfect and we got to do so much more than I thought we would. Thanks to all the posters in this thread for sharing their experiences, it was a huge help.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
How was All Star Sports? We are staying there when we go next week. Were the shared bus stops that big of a deal?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Dude, throw some pictures in your trip report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.

LoG posted:

How was All Star Sports? We are staying there when we go next week. Were the shared bus stops that big of a deal?

It wasn't bad for what it was. It's fun to stay on site and take advantage of the magic band and stuff. It was sometimes a pain to wait for the bus in the morning and definitely a pain if you couldn't get a seat on the way back. The only time there was a shared bus was on the way back from Animal Kingdom (and Sports was the first stop anyway(, otherwise it was always a dedicated bus to/from Sports. If they give you an option, request the football or the surfing area, as they're a big closer to the main hub and the main pool.

Lincoln posted:

Dude, throw some pictures in your trip report

My girlfriend is the photographer of the two of us so she has most of them but here's a couple of our character meets and Tower of Terror (we're considering buying it from Disney so I screen-shotted it):