Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
PewDiePie on a box of Wheaties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ChaosArgate posted:

It's a "celebrity" endorsement. Cereal brands do it all the time. :shrug:

Yeah, the difference there is that Captain Crunch doesn't talk about how he's going to rape people and fake scream at video games for a living.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DoctorWhat posted:

He won the 2013 LP Olympics in New Hampshire. He was the only one in attendance, so it made it real easy for him.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoctorWhat posted:

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFxWbvXFUY

In Super Bunnyhop's newest review about Goat Simulator he touches the subject of Let's Play and promoting a product. Brings up PDP and other such people.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I wouldn't mind PSP picking the games if he picked something worth getting. Christ.

I know he has limits I'm sure but come on, Garry's Mod? Really?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Hey, Guacamelee for $1 is a fantastic deal you should take.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Roar posted:

I wouldn't mind PSP picking the games if he picked something worth getting. Christ.

I know he has limits I'm sure but come on, Garry's Mod? Really?

Hey that's a pretty good deal for the three people on the planet who still don't own it

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Lazyfire posted:

As much as I want to tell you why VintageBeef is terrible for his perpetuation of a million unfunny catchphrases and lovely ability to actually play games, it has come to my attention that The Humble Bundle theme for this week is that the HB guys let PewDiePie select which games would be in the Bundle.

Yeah, that is a real rear end thing.

Initially, I didn't mind this much. He's popular, he'll get the word out, and the millions of people who watch his content will likely buy the bundle and raise a bunch of money. I don't like the guy, and certainly don't like his videos, but whatever. I'm happy the money is going to a worthwhile cause.

However, you really could of done this without putting in product placement for your drat headphones.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I agree with this. I streamed the whole thing, and despite one specific level I enjoyed the entire thing.

Imagine Castlevania if a belmont ate the tequila worm.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'd be impressed if it hadn't been in every other Bundle for the last year. There's got to be some motherfucker out there with ten copies of that and Proteus at this point.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing that happened to me today, and I'm wondering if it's an overreaction or something that probably isn't the best thing to do. Has anyone watched a Youtube video, and in the sidebar you see a promoted youtube video where it's a video game with a blatant spoiler in the title? Like "Infamous: Second Son Ep. 9 *Big Spoiler goes here*". I was pretty dark on the game, and was planning to get it in a few months when I pick up a PS4, so it kind of sucks to have the big twist spoiled for me right then and there.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

bobjr posted:

One thing that happened to me today, and I'm wondering if it's an overreaction or something that probably isn't the best thing to do. Has anyone watched a Youtube video, and in the sidebar you see a promoted youtube video where it's a video game with a blatant spoiler in the title? Like "Infamous: Second Son Ep. 9 *Big Spoiler goes here*". I was pretty dark on the game, and was planning to get it in a few months when I pick up a PS4, so it kind of sucks to have the big twist spoiled for me right then and there.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
That is part of why I love to use the polsy player where ever possible. Here is a link to his site.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He does WHAT? Spoilers, dude!

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Hello. I just want to bring up the topic of German Let's Players.

I've noticed that there are a lot of them are awful, language barrier aside. So I decided get Simply Simon to help me retsupurae the most official sounding German Let's Play channel I could find: GermanLetsPlay - The PewDiePie of Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv_juqnCPxA

I didn't expect a major reaction to this video, but not only did I get an influx of German YouTube users saying "Thank you!! Even this English speaker gets it", but I got a ton of them talking about the horrendous state of LP in Germany. Icing of the cake, GLP tried to get the video taken down, to which I gave them my personal details, counterclaimed and told them to gently caress off. Throwing anonymity to the wind rules!

They aren't yelling "Vergewaltigung" over and over, but Jew and Holocaust jokes are apparently plentiful. :godwin:

Mr DJB fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 11, 2014

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
I thought slowbeef and Diabetus already brought how German LPers had it bad with that one camcorder retsupurae of "Worms"(Territory Wars?) they did some time ago?

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Mr DJB posted:

I didn't expect a major reaction to this video, but not only did I get an influx of German YouTube users saying "Thank you!! Even this English speaker gets it", but I got a ton of them talking about the horrendous state of LP in Germany. Icing of the cake, GLP tried to get the video taken down, to which I gave them my personal details, counterclaimed and told them to gently caress off. Throwing anonymity to the wind rules!

When looking on YouTube, there's a lot of German LPs that tend to have technical issues. Majority of them seem to be camcorders. I'm...not sure what's going on over there, in terms of LP. I see a lot of Mario German LPs, and they tend to be like this.

However, the Germans have nothing on Italian LP! He goes from a song to live commentary. I don't know what this song is, but it's pretty awesome.

And yeah, they did that RP of the kid holding the camcorder to his computer monitor. And somehow playing the game at the same time.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 11, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RSCNyx posted:

When looking on YouTube, there's a lot of German LPs that tend to have technical issues. Majority of them seem to be camcorders. I'm...not sure what's going on over there, in terms of LP. Especially with this. This song owns, though.

Fairly sure this isn't German. I'm no expert but I'd imagine Italian?
edit: Welp, missed the edit. Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 11, 2014

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure this isn't German. I'm no expert but I'd imagine Italian?

You're right, I screwed that up. Apparently early on in the day, I'm very uncultured. Sorry about that! And don't! I messed it up, after all, and you corrected it! Nothing to feel bad about.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 11, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RSCNyx posted:

When looking on YouTube, there's a lot of German LPs that tend to have technical issues. Majority of them seem to be camcorders. I'm...not sure what's going on over there, in terms of LP.

And yeah, they did that RP of the kid holding the camcorder to his computer monitor. And somehow playing the game at the same time.

Capture hardware may be more difficult to come by or programs like FRAPS may not be as available or more expensive or whatever, who knows?

Speaking of foreign LPs: Right now I am starting to get a bunch of subscribers with really Japanese names and videos in Japanese. Why? Because some other LP person is using an incredibly similar name and is actually fairly popular so people are randomly subbing to me without realizing that I'm not that dude. I actually randomly stumbled on the profile a while back and didn't think anything of it until the recent surge in subs. Poor Japanese people are going to start wondering why a guy who plays a bunch of Anime games is playing FPS' all of the sudden and why he now only communicates in English.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

bobjr posted:

A while ago a video kept showing up in my sidebar that had a major spoiler for The Last of Us as the title. Not just "The Last of Us - [spoiler]" but entirely just "[SPOILER]" in all caps. The thumbnail gave something pretty important away, as well.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Speaking of foreign LPs: Right now I am starting to get a bunch of subscribers with really Japanese names and videos in Japanese. Why? Because some other LP person is using an incredibly similar name and is actually fairly popular so people are randomly subbing to me without realizing that I'm not that dude. I actually randomly stumbled on the profile a while back and didn't think anything of it until the recent surge in subs. Poor Japanese people are going to start wondering why a guy who plays a bunch of Anime games is playing FPS' all of the sudden and why he now only communicates in English.

I actually have a similar story, at least somewhat. On YouTube, I was doing an LP of Armored Core. I named it, "Let's Play Armored Core-5", and the thumbnail was of a rather annoying mission. You could tell it was the first Armored Core.

However, I had many Japanese people come to my channel with death threats and all sorts of insults (hence why comments are now disabled) because they somehow thought it was a preview of Armored Core 5.

Honestly, they probably ended up regretting their actions, simply because Armored Core 5 wasn't great.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Mr DJB posted:

I've noticed that there are a lot of them are awful, language barrier aside. So I decided get Simply Simon to help me retsupurae the most official sounding German Let's Play channel I could find: GermanLetsPlay - The PewDiePie of Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv_juqnCPxA

They aren't yelling "Vergewaltigung" over and over, but Jew and Holocaust jokes are apparently plentiful. :godwin:

The closest thing to an official German LP channel you can get is probably Gronkh. That guy's even been on the German news - he pretty much really is the PewDiePie of Germany. As far as I know, he's relatively inoffensive, but plays way too much Minecraft.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Speaking of Minecraft, why is that so common in the Youtube LP community? Is it because, since there isn't a storyline, it's just dicking around while talking?

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Testekill posted:

Speaking of Minecraft, why is that so common in the Youtube LP community? Is it because, since there isn't a storyline, it's just dicking around while talking?

Yep.

I honestly wish they would stop thinking of Minecraft videos as Let's Plays because they really aren't. It's some flashing lights to go along with some people whom you had better enjoy watching.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Testekill posted:

I think a lot of it grew out of people showing off their creations to Minecraft communities and included videos which a number of people outside those communities watched to learn how to build stuff or to see what other people came up with. The Yogscast weren't the first people to do Minecraft videos, but they were the first to get really popular, and other people jumped in that were either already on YouTube or had bought the game from watching other people's videos.

As to why there are so many: Popularity of the game on YouTube(Minecraft is still a huge proportion of LP videos) helps a lot, but the fact that the game has a limited number of activities but limitless content as long as the LPer is able to come up with new building ideas or go into new caves or whatever means that you can reliably make dozens of videos without reaching the "end" of the game. Plus, Mods and challenge maps are constantly getting released, so you can just keep running through those if building and exploring are getting old.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

All this talk about German Minecraft LPs made me remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct1gyqRCjZo

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Testekill posted:

As much as I want to say "Bingo" and leave it at that, there really is a little more nuance to it, whiiiich Lazyfire has covered. I'll just add that you can generally tell pretty quickly if someone is going in with an actual plan or if they're just doing it because it is the thing to do.

Using Zisteau as an example again, he got into making LPs to teach himself video editing. If you dig up his first video, on the Survival Island challenge map, it opens with a rudimentary edited shipwreck intro without any voiceover, where most people would instantly start with "hi guys I'm (name) and I'm playing Minecraft..." (insert umms and uhhs every few words there). Admittedly, after the opening, it runs the course of a typical Minecraft series, but that one video had more thought, effort, and editing that you could probably get out of most starting Youtube Minecraft LPers in a year.

quote:

(foreign people doing foreign things on your videos)
Strangest thing I had happen was while putting up stream recordings of Cargo The Quest for Gravity for friends to see. A Russian username suddenly starts liking the videos, then sends a PM asking if I can put them in a playlist - which I proceeded to do. We were all starting to suspect something, but when the stream reached the credits, "Hey, THAT name is spelled exactly the same as the guy on Youtube!". Indeed, shortly after all the videos are up, he sends another PM, "I'm one of the devs, can we use your videos to make something?" "Sure!"
So now there's a video of me flying around a giant steel brick and getting rammed by a UFO on Ice Pick Lodge's channel.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
This foreign LP talk led to me looking up the strangest language LP that I could find.

Here's a Lithuanian Minecraft lp

DWK
Sep 18, 2009
Ahh, "foreign" language LPs. I've been trying to improve my Russian recently, so I'm trying to watch a couple of LPs in русский.

If you can speak Russian, this channel isn't too bad. Apart from needlessly commentating over Flower...

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVf1i3NFG1c
A classic foreign language Retsupurae.

IceAgeComing posted:

This foreign LP talk led to me looking up the strangest language LP that I could find.

Here's a Lithuanian Minecraft lp

I found one in West Frisian, which I really wasn't expecting seeing as it's pretty hard to find anything done in Frisian. The video is, however, a sad disgrace to the beautiful West Frisian language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C_bTAq3r-M

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
nice to see that "what the gently caress" is said in every bad happy wheels let us play

Masked Faceless
Oct 7, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63pQurPT158
Imagine a world where you could upload over 10 of uncommentated footage in 2 days. Imagine over 1300 episodes of skyrim, about 9 and a half days of footage, that finishes off by saving the game. Now imagine that you don't need to imagine. Congratulations you have imagined this world.

edit: He also has a bizarre video of his Realdoll :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKdUoRVqEB4:nws:
edit2: Hahahah, I looked at his first skyrim video and its got his realdoll in it :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDeUxKMZk8A:nws:

Masked Faceless fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 11, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Masked Faceless posted:

Imagine a world where you could upload over 10 of uncommentated footage in 2 days. Imagine over 1300 episodes of skyrim, about 9 and a half days of footage, that finishes off by saving the game. Now imagine that you don't need to imagine. Congratulations you have imagined this world.

edit: He also has a bizarre video of his Realdoll :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKdUoRVqEB4:nws:

I am seriously ashamed I share the country with this clown. I mean, Skyrim stops being fun after about three hours, this is just...
Words fail me.
Oh, and he's a weeaboo as well.

edit: Granted, that's more after seeing the second thing. Still, that's some literal video dumping.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 11, 2014

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Masked Faceless posted:

edit2: Hahahah, I looked at his first skyrim video and its got his realdoll in it :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDeUxKMZk8A:nws:

What the gently caress, that Realdoll video was like a loving horror film! And pretty much creepier than most, to boot.

I've been seeing SmoshGames popping up in my recommended recently for some reason. I remember liking these guys...in 2006. I was going to try watching one or two of their gaming videos, but honestly they probably have some of the worst thumbnails I've ever seen. Even PDP has more appealing thumbnails, and that's saying a lot.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Too late now since it's already been quoted (more than once), but for the future, you probably shouldn't embed NSFW videos, it kinda defeats the point of marking them in the first place.

Anyway,

Mr DJB posted:

German Let's Players

I was one of the people who asked about high-quality German LPs in the comments of your video, and what someone replied does make sense: There's no SA-like place in German, so the videos are gonna be Youtube quality no matter what you do -- you have no better reference point. After all, if you're well-versed enough in the English language that you can visit SA (or any other English speaking place that enforces quality, which probably exist), you're probably gonna make your LP in English, because it includes a far bigger audience.

Lazyfire posted:

Capture hardware may be more difficult to come by or programs like FRAPS may not be as available or more expensive or whatever, who knows?

Nah, that's not it. Capture cards are easily available and things like Fraps that want you to pay in USD end up being perceived cheaper due to the Euro being stronger than the US-Dollar.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mr DJB posted:

Hot drat, I never thought I'd see the day where I can post this. See, I'm from Germany and do some Lp stuff too, but I do it in English and don't watch a single Lp from my country. I got introduced to this stuff by English speaking people, so maybe I'm just biased, but I never found a single German Lp video that I liked. Whenever I gave it a try and clicked something on Yt, I got this burning urge to reach through the screen and punch the person to make them shut up. I can't fully say why, but that's the way it is. Maybe it's because we got Lp later than ya'll and it's mostly a thing that dumb teenagers do now? The popular stuff on Yt surely gave me that type of people. And while TheMcD mentioned Gronkh, a guy that's something like 35+, he panders to that crowd of dumb teens. Also he got the voice and humor of a piece of cardboard. But then again, I also don't think that we a have a quality posting zone like SA, so where else to look? If there actually is a good German Lp, I sure don't have the will to dig for it. Well, that's all I wanted to say, peace out

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Has no one done a non-english LP on the SA forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nihilarian posted:

Has no one done a non-english LP on the SA forums?

Рекао бих да не, пошто их нико не би разумео.

• Locked thread