Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Freshwater Louie posted:

after checking out some nets i am sad to say that oh my god all ham stereotypes are true

below 88MHz its all obama, guns, and gays

what tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nice.

i will confess that the most exciting thing about getting my new radio is getting on 6 meters with 100 watts of juice. afaik it's a pretty spergy band. ive never ever played with that band and now that i'm pretty much a committed vhf/uhf dork I need to get swift with it.

can't decide between the diamond 2-element 6 meter beam and the MFJ 3 element right now. both about a hundo

the name in this is coincidental but this is amazingly parallel to my ham career

http://www.rmvhf.org/wordpress/?page_id=895

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

check out this songhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dBt3mJtgJc

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

tumor looking batty posted:

check out this songhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dBt3mJtgJc

check out of this thread

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my random length of wire antenna thrown out the window and jammed into the rx rca jack isn't working so well. hmm.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

PuTTY riot posted:

my random length of wire antenna thrown out the window and jammed into the rx rca jack isn't working so well. hmm.

Did you ground the radio?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Did you ground the radio?

no. hmm. I have to burg and then I'll try this. someone on 14.313 was coming in just barely. lol.

when I soldered power poles onto the power cord it started to stink like old cigarettes. ugh.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
auuuuuuuuuuugh

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
powerpole everythinggggg

so i discovered these connectors that are apparently standard operating procedure for RC hobby poo poo, called deans ultra plugs

and the actual design of the thing is "yeah just solder bare wire to these two terminals, and i guess heat shrink over em if you want it pretty"

like they thought that was an acceptable engineering compromise

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Those are bad don't use them.

Idk maybe they're really vibration proof or smth? And of course high current. But otherwise idk why they would use them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like the idea of pre-built field day antennas and crap with extra sections you can powerpole on

like add an 80m wire for a while in the evening or w/e

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jello whats the evening report? you should be hearing guys on 40 and maybe 20 meters

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

i like the idea of pre-built field day antennas and crap with extra sections you can powerpole on

i saw a video where someone makes a part that changes painter pole threading to pvc threading specifically for this. i think i wanna set up the suburban to be able to do hf "mobile"

Jonny 290 posted:

jello whats the evening report? you should be hearing guys on 40 and maybe 20 meters

listening to 2 guys chat on 40 meters ya. rly rly want to get something up in the air now. need to pick a band and just do a dipole or something simple.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
this is it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-cUNs274rU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
now im listening to cw. i have no idea what theyre saying but its cool hearing it come thru. i have the better filter too i think. in the manual the better one had a mark next to it

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i want jonny to put a 60 meter guy-wired mast on top of haus bus

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jonny 290 posted:

i've seen it done with something as simple as alligator clips on like 26ga wire, but yeah, powerpoles would be better

feel like mspaint more than googling tonight:

antenna wire gets looped back on itself and soldered (or crimped with those cable crimping sleeves or get fancy with your knots), string provides non-conducting break, connect the dangling connectors to switch bands

yeah yeah yeah, you can build traps and poo poo but this is "convinced the wife to let me put up a dipole at our caribbean vacation bungalow" sort of compact

not for 80m though. you're not going to want to lower something that long just to snap in some connectors, more of a 10 , 15, 20 sort of idea or "throw some wire off the apartment balcony" sort of thing, yaknow?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i want jonny to put a 60 meter guy-wired mast on top of haus bus

i want jonny to build the crazy 6m/2m beam thing and put it on his hambuckets

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
idea: portable 80m dipole using wire, two helium balloons, string, and rocks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

idea: portable 80m dipole using wire, two helium balloons, string, and rocks

dudes that experiment on 472 khz (600 meters) do this with a single balloon vertical

Personally i think its smarter to run power via twisted pair up to a quadcopter set to hover, and couple RF to the pair

PuTTY riot posted:

now im listening to cw. i have no idea what theyre saying but its cool hearing it come thru. i have the better filter too i think. in the manual the better one had a mark next to it

if you get audio with the cw filter pushed in, you have the filter. theres no output if you select an unfilled filter slot

i'd say for your first antenna that a 20 dipole will be a pretty good exercise, get you used to tuning and all that.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So with my certification tests out of the way, I'm now looking for babby's first radio. Holy crap there are a lot of different radios on the market.

From perusing back through the thread it seems that a simple HT is usually recommended for a first time radio. However I am personally much more interested in messing around with APRS and other digital modes so I'm thinking that a mobile rig might be a better choice for me. For the most part the rig will probably be left at my office where I have room to mess around with the rig and a remote SDR receiving computer to start getting some hands on experience. Besides that I guess I could also see myself using it to check into local Ecomm nets on 2 meter just to get some familiarity with how they operate.

Hopefully you guys could throw me some suggestions based on the above? One of the big things that I'm not sure on is if it better to get a mobile rig with a built in TNC or just get a separate one if it would save me a decent % of cash. I would kind of like to not go over $300 as a starting budget.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
get a separate TNC, that way you can hang it off a $10 hamfest radio later and free up your voice rig

I'll go ahead and throw out a suggestion for the Icom 2300H if you want a new radio. Universal has em for 170 bucks. 65 watts of 2 meter powah.

The V8000 is a little nicer and beefier and has a front-firing speaker (actually REALLY NICE) but its about 40 bucks more.

e: the yaesu ft1900r is only 140 bucks. get that. that's a wonderful deal

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
that aprs 2m propagation map is so cool imho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

that aprs 2m propagation map is so cool imho

wait till you find the spot maps

http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=W2LN&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N

oh wait you just did

watch the 6m north american map for a day and you will see why i'm so GD excited about getting on six meters finally

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

wait till you find the spot maps

http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=W2LN&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N

oh wait you just did

watch the 6m north american map for a day and you will see why i'm so GD excited about getting on six meters finally

all of this poo poo is rly cool. i really need to get a dipole up. i have a so-239 panel mount connector. what type of wire should i use? i have a bunch of romex but something more stranded and flexible that would blend in better might be a better choice. i see some ppl use a balun and others dont. thoughts?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
50-100 foot roll of speaker wire from dollar tree or something. it has a bit of stretch but not too much

do a balun but just coil up four to six turns of coax, about a 6" radius. don't scatter-wind them, try to keep them one layer and in order. wrap it all with enough tape to keep its shape, boom you just built a 1:1 choke balun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my 746 already shipped holy poo poo

now that's a good seller

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i read ur post on THE OTHER FORUM about it and it was a good post.

someone trying to sell a pro for 1k on there today lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

registered a call sign, now i gotta wait for my card before i can legally transmit

another week :argh:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Thanks! yeah i figured since i made some good noob mistakes that i'd lay everything out and hopefully it will help others.

------

a 6 meter story in 3 pics and an email:

this morning

Then an email

code:
Multi-hop sporadic-E opening on 6m.

For details please visit [url]http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Frec=50&Map=NA[/url]
And right now here's the e-skip MUF:

which brings us QSOs:

~magic band~

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Thanks! yeah i figured since i made some good noob mistakes that i'd lay everything out and hopefully it will help others.

------

a 6 meter story in 3 pics and an email:

this morning

Then an email

code:
Multi-hop sporadic-E opening on 6m.

For details please visit [url]http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Frec=50&Map=NA[/url]
And right now here's the e-skip MUF:

which brings us QSOs:

~magic band~

what am I looking at here?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Captain Foo posted:

propogation maps. this dot talked to that dot.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Captain Foo posted:

Most of the time, it's difficult to make overseas contacts on VHF.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

the six meter band has propagation about like any other line of sight VHF band but it bends a bit more. In addition, wind shear at extremely high altitudes can cause temporary hotspots in the ionosphere called "sporadic E". E-skip is fast, shows up out of nowhere, disappears randomly, and can reflect these waves because they're big enough. VERY VERY rarely you will see e-skip that's strong enough to reflect 2 meters. That's about as high as it'll ever go. But it happens several times a day during the summer at levels that can support 6 meter bounces.

So you have a band that has short enough wavelengths that you can put up a pretty loving good antenna many wavelengths above ground, but it still can bounce from that mirror 100 miles up. Result: stupidly long distances for contacts. Gotta jump on it, though.

Just got another email alert (I get an email whenever e-skip may happen within 400 miles):

It's possible to get DXCC (100 countries worked) on 6 meters, and people do it on the reg.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 16, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
FUCKIN'

MAGIC

i'm so excited.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
coworker just told me MFJ's headquarters is here in MS. in starkville of all fukken places. wtf.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahaha oh poo poo i thought you knew that

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i didn't. but i dont go out there that place is a shithole. the whole 'golden triangle' area is

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i went there one time to get mushroom chocolates and thats about it

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Goddamn do you think they have enough questions in these loving test pools? I wanted to see each one at least once before starting on the next pool, but there are just so many in it.

Edit: also synirc's ssl cert is invalid so I can't rejoin the channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Goddamn do you think they have enough questions in these loving test pools? I wanted to see each one at least once before starting on the next pool, but there are just so many in it.

there's really not.

that's a pretty small question pool, they are all literal, and exact and from the real tests as given.

• Locked thread