Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cimber posted:

Corking is the little bit of dark green at the bottom of the 2nd red from the right?

Ghost peppers don't have corking. They have wrinkles and bumps. You'll want to wait for them to be completely red (yours are definitely a red), and then when you lift up on the pepper it'll just pop clean off the plant pretty easily. It's okay to leave them a little longer than your eyes want and give them a chance to fully more on the plant. If weather conspires against you, it's also fine to pick them before they get hailed on or snapped off. I prefer to pick a bunch all at the same time, so I'll leave the first to ripen longer than the later ones because I'm lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jhet posted:

Ghost peppers don't have corking. They have wrinkles and bumps. You'll want to wait for them to be completely red (yours are definitely a red), and then when you lift up on the pepper it'll just pop clean off the plant pretty easily. It's okay to leave them a little longer than your eyes want and give them a chance to fully more on the plant. If weather conspires against you, it's also fine to pick them before they get hailed on or snapped off. I prefer to pick a bunch all at the same time, so I'll leave the first to ripen longer than the later ones because I'm lazy.

Yeah, I am leaving them on right now since I only have two that are fully ripe, two more that are partially ripe, and about 40 that are still green and might need another two weeks. I'lll vac seal the ripe ones and toss them in the freezer when I need to, then take them out when I have more to lac ferment them.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Cimber posted:

Amusingly one of my peppers has bite marks on it, as if a local squirrel was trying to have a snack. Not huge bite marks however, I think the squirrel had a bad day once he realized what he was eating. :vince:

This makes me smile every time I find it. Once one of my peppers was the ultimate in "slow burn" - took like a minute for the heat to hit (some ghost hybrid I think). Raccoon ate 3/4 of a pepper and sampled another one - then never came back. The rest of my plants thrived that year.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

unknown posted:

This makes me smile every time I find it. Once one of my peppers was the ultimate in "slow burn" - took like a minute for the heat to hit (some ghost hybrid I think). Raccoon ate 3/4 of a pepper and sampled another one - then never came back. The rest of my plants thrived that year.

I think i remember reading somewhere that Ghost peppers were orginally cultivated in India around their fields as a way to keep wild elephants from coming in. They stop to snack then run off towards the closest river.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cimber posted:

I think i remember reading somewhere that Ghost peppers were orginally cultivated in India around their fields as a way to keep wild elephants from coming in. They stop to snack then run off towards the closest river.

That would certainly do a number on most animals without wings (drat birds). My Bhut Jolokia are just starting to turn. They're the super hots that dealt the best with the cold June and I have an okay number of 4" long pods. The Moruga Scorpion (red and chocolate) are both covered with pods, but they're smaller than I'd expect mostly. I just hope they ripen properly before it gets too cold and they die back. I could really use a few bottles of sauce again.

I spent most of yesterday jarring salsa because I had tomatoes to use too. Base recipe was a peach habanero, but I split it and added all my ripe 7 pot, 1 Red Trinidad Moruga Scorpion that was ripe, and some Aji Charapita. Base recipe also got a bunch of Er Jing Tiao and some green Hot Portugal for some of that garden green flavor and mild-medium heat. Plenty of good heat in just the base recipe, but the hot version is really good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Made this recipe to go with carnitas and it was the best salsa I’ve ever made.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/salsas/roasted-mango-habanero-salsa/

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I just had one of my ghost peppers. oh wow.

as a side note, i really should have read the thread title.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I keep thinking about upping the heat on my “habenero slices on melon” snack to ghosts but I’m concerned that might be a bit much even for me.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

On melon might surprise you. They're a distinctly hot pepper but there are a lot of sweet and fruity flavors there that might just get right down with a slice of melon.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

I just had one of my ghost peppers. oh wow.

as a side note, i really should have read the thread title.

haha. i won't subject myself to raw superhots anymore, every time i do it feels like i swallowed a live weasel and it wants to chew its way out of my stomach.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Lets just say that...if you eat a ghost make sure you wash your hands well. If you don't wash your hands well, make sure you don't idly scratch your nuts 45 minutes later.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i don't eat ghosts, personally. the ectoplasm always gives me heartburn

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cimber posted:

Lets just say that...if you eat a ghost make sure you wash your hands well. If you don't wash your hands well, make sure you don't idly scratch your nuts 45 minutes later.

Just wear gloves. It's easier and more reliable.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I keep thinking about upping the heat on my “habenero slices on melon” snack to ghosts but I’m concerned that might be a bit much even for me.
I did a sliced ghost pepper into melon salad with feta and honey when they first popped out this year. The first bite is absolutely fabulous, but it hurt too much to enjoy after that. I haven't needed to try it again and I definitely wished I'd stuck to my usual scotch bonnets.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Last year, I found a caterpillar that had eaten several of my serranos. I wonder what kind of butterfly that caterpillar turned into.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
At work last night some of the early 20’s kids that are managers were doing the one chip challenge thing and freaking out about it, so I decided to flex on them and just do one completely stonefaced. It is now 10 hours later and I am deeply regretting that decision.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

At work last night some of the early 20’s kids that are managers were doing the one chip challenge thing and freaking out about it, so I decided to flex on them and just do one completely stonefaced. It is now 10 hours later and I am deeply regretting that decision.

How was it otherwise?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

eviltastic posted:

How was it otherwise?

I’ve done them before, they’re hot but unless you cough they’re totally manageable if you’re the kind of person that does superhots. Last dab level maybe? No real flavor besides that weird extract taste.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I’ve done them before, they’re hot but unless you cough they’re totally manageable if you’re the kind of person that does superhots. Last dab level maybe? No real flavor besides that weird extract taste.

yeah they don't ever taste good and most of the time just eating a couple of bites is enough to ruin tomorrow for you while not really ever getting to eurphoria

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

the paradigm shift posted:

yeah they don't ever taste good and most of the time just eating a couple of bites is enough to ruin tomorrow for you while not really ever getting to eurphoria

It’s 100 percent a thing you just do so you can show up someone else.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I got some of the chip dust in my eye and it was still less painful than my tummy the next day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, right now my lower abdomen feels like one of those red hot nickel ball videos.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

It’s 100 percent a thing you just do so you can show up someone else.

Nashville hot chicken restaurants are similar... don't ever get the hottest level. They all just drench it in extract and even though you can eat it without too much trouble you will feel like death when it gets to your intestines at 2am.

God now that I said it I want some Pepperfire tenders.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

mariooncrack posted:

Last year, I found a caterpillar that had eaten several of my serranos. I wonder what kind of butterfly that caterpillar turned into.

Mothra, most likely.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Thanks for the explanation. Might be novel but I’ll probably give it a pass in lieu of a bottle of something more flavorful.

Any recommendations for ultra-hot sauces that actually taste okay? My tolerance is getting up there. I tried a few thread favorites from Heatonist and really loved the bottle of Fiyah Fiyah I got, but wouldn’t mind a bit more heat. Maybe some of the previous iterations of last dab? I finished my bottle of last dab Apollo in about a month, but I was just using it for heat and didn’t really care for the flavor.

e: for the record: I thought the Los Calientes barbacoa was amazing, the Bravado black garlic reaper sauce was quite good, the Dawson’s Sichuan ghost pepper sauce was good but not as easy to pair with things (and real hard to use at fridge temp), and the Classic is a solid table sauce that I rarely use but my significant other with a lower heat tolerance loves.

The last dab Apollo was plenty hot, but entirely one note and I didn’t really care for the note.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 4, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The Last Dab Pepper X was my favorite iteration. Lots of cumin and mustard balanced with the pepper flavor. Nicely super hot. It looks to be coming out again soon.

The Torchbearer sauces are great and full of flavor. Garlic Reaper is super packed with pepper, heat, and garlic. I’ve heard good things about their horseradish one, but don’t know how hot it is.

Karma’s Burn After Eating is similarly packed with flavor and heat. Karma sauces in general are very good.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My go to for way to hot but tastes amazing is Painapple. It's a pretty simple sauce, but delicious. Very pepper forward.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

For flavor and regret:

Puckerbutt Purgatory
Burns & McCoy Exhorresco
Heatonist #1
Hellfire Fiery Fool

The "Eye Of The Scorpion" Hot Ones sauce is also surprisingly good and alarmingly hot. I felt like it was actually a gnarlier sauce than the "Constrictor" one they said was the hottest.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Jhet posted:

The Torchbearer sauces are great and full of flavor. Garlic Reaper is super packed with pepper, heat, and garlic. I’ve heard good things about their horseradish one, but don’t know how hot it is.

it's not as hot as the reaper but that's because it's ghost. my real issue with headless horseradish is that it's so mustard forward it feels like it drowns out every other flavor

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Made my first fermented hot sauce this morning. A couple ghost peppers, a bunch of habs and a couple bell peppers, all from my garden. Also threw in some garlic, coriander, cumin and sugar.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I've made a couple sauces from raw peppers and those were a lot more harsh. The lacto fermentation adds a lot of depth. I've got a couple mixes fermenting with beets and red onions as a base too which I am excited about.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
So, I think the original Marie Sharp hot sauce is pretty good. It's fruity, has a good sweet-sour balance and just enough habanero heat to make it interesting while not keeping you coming back for more.

I am also a big fan of smoked hot sauces. I think the Chipotle Tabasco is pretty great for both tacos and wings, even if it is a bit sweet. So, I decided to try the Smoked Habanero from Marie Sharp and it's just too weird. The smoke is a straight up campfire like smoke, I am pretty sure I read something about the source being kind of unique, but yeah, very different from most culinary smoke flavors I have encountered. It's also not integrated in the sauce at all. This feels like eating liquid smoke with a bit of heat coming in at the end. It's not horribly bitter or anything, but I cannot really recommend it.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 19, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

thotsky posted:

So, I think the original Marie Sharp hot sauce is pretty good. It's fruity, has a good sweet-sour balance and just enough habanero heat to make it interesting while not keeping you coming back for more.

I am also a big fan of smoked hot sauces. I think the Chipotle Tabasco is pretty great for both tacos and wings, even if it is a bit sweet. So, I decided to try the Smoked Habanero from Marie Sharp and it's just too weird. The smoke is a straight up campfire like smoke, I am pretty sure I read something about the source being kind of unique, but yeah, very different from most culinary smoke flavors I have encountered. It's also not integrated in the sauce at all. This feels like eating liquid smoke with a bit of heat coming in at the end. It's not horribly bitter or anything, but I cannot really recommend it.

Yeah they use citrus and fruit wood to smoke and it's odd and acrid. Even using it like a spicy liquid smoke in a bbq sauce wasn't good. I ended up tossing the bottle I had cause I never found anywhere I wanted to use it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Cons of shopping in person at a grocery store: global pandemic

Pros of shopping in person at a grocery store: noticing they now stock secret aardvark. That sauce is good.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We went and wandered around the pits at an NHRA event over the weekend and they had a Herdez tent and little food truck set up. They were giving out sample foods featuring their Avocado Hot Sauce - one tenderloin option, a chicken option, and a vegetarian option.

That is an outstanding sauce. I hesitate to call it a hot sauce but served with a little crema and some shaved cabbage I'm pretty sure I could make literally any food delicious. I won a few bottles at their other booth but go check it out! Very, very tasty.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Maybe you just got a good fresh batch, but I really didn’t care for the avocado sauce by Herdez. They made a bunch of taco squeeze bottles recently, and they’re all missing the hot or mild part of being salsa. I tried the chipotle one too and it was just a little bland.

The one mild sauce that’s growing on me a little is the Yellowbird Agave Sriracha. Yeah it’s sweet, but I just use it with their habanero one and it tastes good enough to finish the bottle, but not good enough to buy again.

I did pick a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion red from my garden this week and chopped it into some burger mayo/ketchup sauce and it was seriously delicious and hot. Needed a little more lemon zest maybe to really take it to great levels, but my wife was very amused watching my reactions. Sweet creamy citrus fire.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

thotsky posted:

Funny you mention smoke flavor. I smoked some garlic and ghost peppers on my Weber Smokey Mountain yesterday and made a sauce out of them with some apple cider vinegar, salt and sugar. The smokey garlic umami flavor is almost TOO big and feels a little disjointed against the bright vinegar and the ghost pepper heat. I'm guessing getting creative with seasonings might bridge things a bit or maybe it will just mellow with a little time.

Also the thread title is no loving joke man. I wear gloves when I handle my peppers and I still wind up with burning in areas that I would rather not be burning.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have my Fatalii plant full of ripening fruit, so I decided to pick one and stuff it with ricota and bread and deep fry it with some fish tonight. It was the best popper I've ever eaten, but I'd advise against more than a couple. Pleasantly hot, fruity, and delicious.

At least I didn't do it with any of the ghost or scorpion peppers.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Jhet posted:

I have my Fatalii plant full of ripening fruit, so I decided to pick one and stuff it with ricota and bread and deep fry it with some fish tonight. It was the best popper I've ever eaten, but I'd advise against more than a couple. Pleasantly hot, fruity, and delicious.

At least I didn't do it with any of the ghost or scorpion peppers.

I'm drooling

was it crunchy

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Missing Name posted:

I'm drooling

was it crunchy

Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. The pepper didn’t keep as much crunch because I had no idea how long it would need to heat the ricotta, but the breading was crispy and helped. The inside was oozy and a flavor explosion. I’d do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Put a bunch of my chiles into ferment now that they’re about done growing. Two sauces, one red and one yellow. Ingredients from mildest to hottest. Both are happily fermenting in vacuum bags. In total it’s about 1kg of fermenting sauce.

Red contains: sweet red paprika type, garlic, Hot Portugal, Caribbean Red, 7-pot, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion red and caramel, Carolina Reaper. 2% salt by weight
Yellow contains: carrots, Shallots, garlic, Fatalii, Scotch Bonnet, Bhut Jolokia strain 2, 2% salt by weight