Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutonForensic

NYT recipes are all over the place. in addition to hosting op-eds by dumbasses to appeal to both sides, I guess they also host recipes that appeal to both cooks and arsonists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Hahahahaa nice.

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
NYT seemingly every few months publishes a recipe that goes viral from people mocking it, like the peas-in-guacamole thing.

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Women's magazines tend to have the best recipes. Bonus for no bullshit blog post to go along with it.

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
I have several of the glossy softcover Australian Women’s Weekly cookbooks and they’re very good.

pile of brown
I hate recipes that insist you add pepper.to meat before searing for the same reason. You can't burn salt but you can hella burn pepper and you don't always want to

Stoner Sloth

Resting Lich Face posted:

Women's magazines tend to have the best recipes. Bonus for no bullshit blog post to go along with it.

Entropic posted:

I have several of the glossy softcover Australian Women’s Weekly cookbooks and they’re very good.

:agreed: when my brother and I were little a lady who used to look after us when my parents were working made absolutely killer meals that she'd slightly modify from Australian Women's Weekly cookbooks - made the best rissoles i've ever had.

also really great mud crabs with garlic butter sauce. we used to go and catch the crabs for them with her husband :)

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

my preserved lemons have had more than enough time to ripen, I've tried them solo and they are really good. will need to do a tagine soon.

Do the frickin tagine omg

poverty goat

recipe filter

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/recipe-filter/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recipe-filter/ahlcdjbkdaegmljnnncfnhiioiadakae

poverty goat

I read that you can make yogurt from UHT milk without boiling it first, and figured I'd give it a try, but my sourdough starter was enough to contaminate it through the air from across the room so now I've got a batch of vaguely fizzy greek yogurt that tastes and smells like fresh yeast rolls

Resting Lich Face

Awesome. Gross.

the unabonger
food thread, what is your favorite tool you have in your kitchen? Mine is my wok. Ever since I figured out the easiest way to make it work with my lovely electric coil (cooking in batches, usually on the highest heat possible), its pretty much my go to tool, to the point of me deciding what to cook based on whether its wokable.

poverty goat

chinese vegetable cleaver

the unabonger

poverty goat posted:

chinese vegetable cleaver

this is probably my second favorite one.

Manifisto

favorite is hard to say but a good pair of locking spring loaded tongs makes so many things easier

Resting Lich Face

Making a chicken and wild rice casserole.

Resting Lich Face

Done. I love being able to try a new recipe and have it come out loving delicious. Goddamn it's good to know how to cook.

Also this is the best thread on byob fight me

Robot Made of Meat

Done. I love being able to try a new recipe and have it come out loving delicious. Goddamn it's good to know how to cook.

Also this is the best thread on byob fight me

Would eat.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

those crispy edges

Resting Lich Face

Bo-Pepper posted:

those crispy edges

yeah man it spent its final minutes in the oven

Stoner Sloth

Looks delicious RLF

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

poverty goat

What should I do with 10 pounds of yellow squash and zucchini

Already sick of sauteed/stirfried/roasted

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

ratatouille?

tunisian salad? (steam or boil two pounds zucchini or squash in salted water until tender. mash with a fork, place pulp in a fine strainer, and let drain for 20-30 mins. mix with minced garlic, lemon juice, harissa/other hot pepper paste, ground caraway, chopped mint, olive oil, sea salt. optionally garnish with olives/feta)

I always like grilled squash . . . baste with olive oil, maybe garlic olive oil

ty nesamdoom!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

poverty goat posted:

You can pickle anything

Manifisto

tagine 2nite!!

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

tagine 2nite!!

YASSS KING

Today I made pan roasted chicken thighs with a date of dill, lemon, creme fraiche and Dijon, with some roasted carrots and Yukon gold potatoes and roasted asparagus.

For potatoes and carrots for two people, wash and dry about a pound and a quarter of little Yukon gold potatoes, and then cut them into 1/2in cubes. For the carrot, one large carrot or two to three small carrots, same 1/2in cubes. Toss with salt, pepper and a bit of olive oil, then throw them in a single layer to one side of a baking sheet. Roast on the center rack at 450°F for fifteen minutes, then stir and add:

1-1.5 pounds of fresh asparagus, washed and the woody end bits trimmed off. Toss the asparagus (or fiddleheads work here too) with a teaspoon of olive oil, season liberally with kosher salt, cracked black pepper and juice of half a lemon. Toss onto the already hot pan in the oven and roast all veg for another ten to twice minutes.

For the chicken:

Basically, pat dry two skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs, then liberally season with salt, cracked peppercorn, lemon zest and garlic. In a heavy, oven-safe pan (ceramic coated cast iron ftw) melt a knob of butter and a teaspoon of olive oil together over a medium high didn't, then place the chicken skin side down until far browner than you think (and browner than I did, rip) then flip and stuff it in the oven at 450°F on the bottom rack until it's 165°F inside or as done as you can stand it.

Plate everything on a serving dish.

In the pan you cooked the chicken in over a low flame, toss in a few tablespoons of white wine or water, some better than bouillon or other chicken base concentrate, a tablespoon or three of Dijon mustard, chopped dill sprigs, and a liberal couple of spoons of creme fraiche or regular old sour cream. Stir until it's well Incorporated, and scrape all the fond (the brown crispy bits) off the bottom of the pan while you do it--that's flavor. Turn off the flame, spoon it over your chicken and serve it either hot or cold.

You can make this prettier than I did. I believe in you all.

ETA: I deboned and sliced my cooked chicken after it rested because we are lazy eaters.

Manifisto

oo man that sounds and looks good!

I hereby declare my preserved lemons a success

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

PRAISE SHRIMP JESUS

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I also have a request from the neighbor toddler for "twirly biscuits," so I guess I'm making cinnamon rolls tonight at some point. I will never let a child go without their twirly biscuits. I cannot.

Also I'm workshopping a fruit pie in my head because I'm loaded down still with frozen berries from last year and I need to get them out of the freaking way before the blackberries and blueberries come on because holy gently caress, we planted a lot plus there were some already here and mature.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also might do up copycat Seoul Taco fauxgogi (seitan styled as bulgogi) and a prinsessatarta because I might as well use all this mania. Plus I did my laminated dough and fridged it for the first time for kouign Amman.

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

Also might do up copycat Seoul Taco fauxgogi (seitan styled as bulgogi) and a prinsessatarta because I might as well use all this mania. Plus I did my laminated dough and fridged it for the first time for kouign Amman.

oh sweet, I think maybe I'm gonna try ka at some point . . . did I mention that?

also if the fauxgogi works out please let me know, sounds interesting to try!

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

oh sweet, I think maybe I'm gonna try ka at some point . . . did I mention that?

also if the fauxgogi works out please let me know, sounds interesting to try!

Ooh, do! It's far easier than everyone thinks, as it's just a good laminated yeast dough with an illegal amount of butter, proper fridge after folds protocol and caster sugar.

F hole

Manifisto posted:

That looks so good it gives me that sour feeling in the back of my jaw when I imagine how lemony and awesome that tastes.

I want to try making preserved lemons because my favorite thing to drink when I go to a vietnamese restaurant is a salty lemonade with my noodle soup.

pile of brown

salty lemons!

Manifisto

pile of brown posted:

salty lemons!

:nice:

Finger Prince

I made tacos and tostadas tonight with marinated bavette steak, frijoles refritos, Pico de Gallo and guac. All from scratch except I didn't grind my own masa to make the tortillas. Those are store bought.

(sorry for the weird focus, I used the food setting on my phone camera and I didn't know it would do that.)

(this is a really good recipe for refritos. Stuff can be added during the mashing to bam, kick it up a notch. I put a couple tsp of this Peruvian pepper paste, couple tsp of salsa lizano, couple dashes of liquid mesquite smoke in.)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 9, 2019

Manifisto

wow that looks extremely good

it's always taco tuesday somewhere, apparently

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

I made tacos and tostadas tonight with marinated bavette steak, frijoles refritos, Pico de Gallo and guac. All from scratch except I didn't grind my own masa to make the tortillas. Those are store bought.

(sorry for the weird focus, I used the food setting on my phone camera and I didn't know it would do that.)

(this is a really good recipe for refritos. Stuff can be added during the mashing to bam, kick it up a notch. I put a couple tsp of this Peruvian pepper paste, couple tsp of salsa lizano, couple dashes of liquid mesquite smoke in.)

This looks delicious! Good job on the beanfrens

Finger Prince

hamjobs posted:

This looks delicious! Good job on the beanfrens

Ty, it is the second time making bean. I think the first time was better because I used some butter and lard with the oil, but this time I just used oil. Still tasty tho. Just finished it today. I enjoy making bean because it just does its thing while you do everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

Ty, it is the second time making bean. I think the first time was better because I used some butter and lard with the oil, but this time I just used oil. Still tasty tho. Just finished it today. I enjoy making bean because it just does its thing while you do everything else.

Bean is the best good because yes it does the thing while you Jack off or whatever but also add rice and Bam complete loving protein

It's basically a perfect food