Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Toplowtech posted:

Try on Urns, altars.

And confession booths and piles of bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Finally picked this game up last night and enjoying every minute so far. I love how every time you begin a dungeon there is that double feeling of "I cant wait to see my guys kick some rear end!" along with "Are we going to make it out alive?"

Stress management is so key early on as things escalate out of control quickly when stress becomes an issue. I had a party nearly self destruct on the second to last room because of a chain reaction stress event. Everyone was over 75/100 stress when my Highwayman failed a trap disarm and hit his limit. This caused everyone else to stress bomb the person next to them. 3/4 failed their resolve check and went batshit crazy. Luckily I was steps away from the last room and completed the mission without anyone doing anything drastic.

The next mission I ran a Jester - Occult - BountyH. - Hellion team and had a blast. Lot of damage and utility out of this team being able to push/pull/mark enemies and hit the back rows hard. Only my Bounty Hunter had over 50 stress at the end due to some bad RNG rolls. I swapped him out with a Grave Robber and had similar results so I think Ill be sticking with this type of setup moving forward. Anyone have a similar experience with this group?

lunatikfringe fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 13, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

enraged_camel posted:

And confession booths and piles of bones.

So don't bring them to the Weald, got it.

What about antivenoms, disease poultices, bandages, etc?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Read this list of interactions if you want to be sure what does what. I still haven't learnt that stuff by heart yet and I just go by gut instinct. My min/maxing game is weak.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dackel posted:

Read this list of interactions if you want to be sure what does what. I still haven't learnt that stuff by heart yet and I just go by gut instinct. My min/maxing game is weak.
I like how you are basically better never reading a book/library/scroll.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I was worried about the bosses so I leveled up a team to level 3, upgraded their skills, weapons, armor...only to have none of them want to go into such a low-level encounter! So now I have to manage experience as to not let people level too high? So fielding teams of level 2 for the first bosses, then I'm assuming 4 tops for the second bosses?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fhqwhgads posted:

I was worried about the bosses so I leveled up a team to level 3, upgraded their skills, weapons, armor...only to have none of them want to go into such a low-level encounter! So now I have to manage experience as to not let people level too high? So fielding teams of level 2 for the first bosses, then I'm assuming 4 tops for the second bosses?

Yes.

Each boss is pretty easy if you bring the right team. I used a team of hellions and an occultist/bounty hunter combo to kill my Hags, and two Crusaders or two+ graverobbers should mess up the Necromancer real good. A leper with accuracy boosts and a Take Down Plan from a Bounty Hunter with a Hellion in a Battle Trance should absolutely murder the Swine lords.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I just saved a bunch of money on my quirk removal by switching to torching piles of scrolls in the warrens.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

slydingdoor posted:

I just saved a bunch of money on my quirk removal by switching to torching piles of scrolls in the warrens.

It even purges diseases, which are the absolute worse for your stats.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dackel posted:

Awesome, thank you. It is particularly interesting to me how good the return on a lot of these are looking. An antivenom for a good draw from a corpse is practically guaranteed to pay you back and then some. Provisioning robustly looks better every time i glance at it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Awesome, thank you. It is particularly interesting to me how good the return on a lot of these are looking. An antivenom for a good draw from a corpse is practically guaranteed to pay you back and then some. Provisioning robustly looks better every time i glance at it.

Yep. Generally if I bring one of everything (doubling up on herbs if I visit the Warrens), I can end up making too much money and having to leave poo poo behind.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

You don't want to provision too robustly, you can easily run out of room, or not use up the items. In general, you want at least 1 extra shovel in the weald because it spawns more walls (the minimap icon looks like a book to me, but I think it is supposed to be a wall), less torches for the ruins, less food for the warrens, and then for each area I have a sort of 'set' of things I'll bring.

Ruins is holy water(urns,alters,etc) and herbs(alchemy table,iron maiden) and key(usual boxes+locked display cabinets); weald is bandages(corpse, spider webs) and herbs(carcasses) and antivenom(old tree); warrens is bandages(knife boards) and holy water(alter, bones, occult markings) and herbs(dinner table/cart, moonshine barrel). The extra shovel in the weald you can also use to go grave digging.

Looking at the list again, the safe bets if you don't know what to really bring are shovels and herbs, if you're inside holy water, and if not the ruins some bandages. Antivenom only comes up in the weald, and even then it is only 1 thing so often I don't even bring it there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Coolguye posted:

Could we talk about which items do good things in which encounters? I've taken to provisioning a key or two in a lot of places since anything that is locked is practically guaranteed to be trapped without a key, but holy crap do you get mad heirlooms if you burn one.

What does Holy Water help with? I've tried using it on graves and corpses but gotten nothing.

Check out the second post in the thread.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I wish there was a bit more "logic" to how quirks and stuff appear. Like say, a Highwayman that spends a lot of time hanging back and shooting dudes gets quirks that boost his abilities to fight from the rear ranks, but weaken his combat skills when he's on point.

I imagine that would have a huge effect on game balance though, so I wouldn't blame the devs if they'd rather have the complete randomness we have now.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Two things I took away from last night, first is that Jesters own bones so hard.

And second, gently caress the Hag. I went into that fight not knowing anything before hand and with one ranged guy, guess who got targeted the most :argh:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Triple Bounty Hunter + healer (occultist for the mark usually) is really fun as a boss killing squad. I usually give them double books of rage and the acc/crit buff instead of the +25% damage on size 2 mobs. Added acc counters the reduced accuracy from books of rage and the extra crit is great if only for the "..." reaction when they crit for 70+ damage on a marked boss. :D

Rest at the beginning on the dungeon instead of right before the boss though, as that reduced accuracy gets frustrating against certain mobs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just had a guy pick up the "love Interest" qurik from the Warrens. What the hell is he thinking about when he sees those pigs? :stonk:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I just had a guy pick up the "love Interest" qurik from the Warrens. What the hell is he thinking about when he sees those pigs? :stonk:

What happens in the sty, stays in the sty.

"Now this may sound unusual..."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"That'll do, pig. That'll do."

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Lotish posted:

What happens in the sty, stays in the sty.

"Now this may sound unusual..."

Week 3: Develops "Love Interest"
Week 4: Develops "Deviant Tastes"

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
If you can't use healing spells outside of combat then bleed/blight shouldn't tick outside of combat either.

Or at least give plague doctor a passive that removes these things after combat because that is some bullshit.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 13, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

how me a frog posted:

If you can't use healing spells outside of combat then bleed/blight shouldn't tick outside of combat either.

You can use bandages / healing herbs outside of combat :)

It would be nice if you could cure bleed outside of combat using abilities though.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

You can use bandages / healing herbs outside of combat :)

It would be nice if you could cure bleed outside of combat using abilities though.

I know that, but why would I poo poo up my inventory with that crap OR alternately, if I'm willing to resign myself to stocking up on consumables to get rid of these things why on earth would I bother bringing a plague doctor along? Oh gosh I sure hope I don't crit that last monster to death so my useless POS bird lady can cure this bleed so the guy doesn't die from walking around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

how me a frog posted:

I know that, but why would I poo poo up my inventory with that crap OR alternately, if I'm willing to resign myself to stocking up on consumables to get rid of these things why on earth would I bother bringing a plague doctor along? Oh gosh I sure hope I don't crit that last monster to death so my useless POS bird lady can cure this bleed so the guy doesn't die from walking around.

:lol: If you think all PD is good for is curing bleed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fhqwhgads posted:

Week 3: Develops "Love Interest"
Week 4: Develops "Deviant Tastes"

I actually had this exact thing happen to a bounty hunter. Went to the brothel and got love interest, then the next week he got deviant tastes. I can only assume he was spending every night outside the tavern shouting horrible poetry to his lover before I sent him to the sanitarium for brain wiping.

VVV No the Plague Doc was pretty poo poo at that since her cure failed all the goddamn time

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Zaphod42 posted:

Until recently this was pretty true. (after level 3 or so)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like using the PD now, but before it was really hard to use her because her damage was so low and her medicine was unreliable. Also she's best against the back row, which means in any fight she's eventually going to low some use. Right now I'm using the single forward target blight, the back row multi-stun, vapors and battlefield medicine in tandem with an occultist. With the heal component at least if the cure fails it counteracts the bleed some anyway.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Dots still suck and stuns got hella nerfed, so... yeah she still a gimp.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Two things I took away from last night, first is that Jesters own bones so hard.

And second, gently caress the Hag. I went into that fight not knowing anything before hand and with one ranged guy, guess who got targeted the most :argh:

gently caress hag fights. Had my first one yesterday, and while i had a decent amount of ranged power thanks to a Highwayman and a Hellion, I still had 3 of the squad doing Death's Door dancing by the time the fight was over because attacking the pot seemed to do gently caress all.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Haha gently caress, I had a team of two lv1s and two 0s that almost killed necro apprentice. I cleared the whole dungeon past the first fight or two fully stressed/insane through heals/stuns and got him down to 30hp before fleeing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

how me a frog posted:

Dots still suck and stuns got hella nerfed, so... yeah she still a gimp.

hella nerfed? Not even remotely. Stunlocking for several rounds did, yes, but stunning every other round is literally no different than before, and most stuff is dead by round two anyway.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Lotish posted:

hella nerfed? Not even remotely. Stunlocking for several rounds did, yes, but stunning every other round is literally no different than before, and most stuff is dead by round two anyway.

Not if you're relying on blight and bleed ticks they ain't, which is why having two sick nasty highwaymen beast mode everything while your jester rocks out with his cock out and your occultist or vestal does whatever is still the one true way.

How is not being able to stunlock not a huge nerf to stuns?

How much food do you guys usually bring? I take like 3-5 stacks cause that poo poo is basically free and stress stops being a worry fast so being bottlenecked by the heirlooms that arent crests theres nothing to spend money on anyway. Recruits should cost 500g. That way the game would have a fail state like a game of this kind should.

The guaranteed green mission also needs to go away. As it is this game is a lot like new xcom where once you got your squad going getting to the end of the game is just busywork except here there's also no time pressure. Game has a solid foundation but it's way too drat easy, I guess, is my complaint. I did a medium length mission with four straight off the coach randos, it was a highwayman, bounty hunter, hellion and plague doctor. No heal you will notice. Won anyway.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 13, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm still not really feeling the Plague Doc. I mean she is definitely better, but I still feel like she's stuck in the middle ground of not being as good with damage as others and not having good healing either. What really frustrates me is her abilities seem really weird in regards to what positions they can target. She is very rigid when it comes to positioning and there's no way to work around that with her.

However, I'm willing to bet she is very useful in level 3-5 dungeons because that's where bleed and blight damage really started to bog me down.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

how me a frog posted:

How much food do you guys usually bring? I take like 3-5 stacks cause that poo poo is basically free and stress stops being a worry fast so being bottlenecked by the heirlooms that arent crests theres nothing to spend money on anyway. Recruits should cost 500g. That way the game would have a fail state like a game of this kind should.

50% of posters espouse this view, but only after they unlearn their bad habits from other RPGs. The game doesn't need any mechanics that punish new players that experienced players won't even notice. A loss condition based on gold would do terrible things to the accessibility of the game. And I'd rather have an accessible game that earns the devs lots of money and has an install base large enough to justify added content, or an expansion pack, or even some DLC. If the game really must have a loss condition it shouldn't be "you spent all your money on supply items on your first run to see what they did."

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

However, I'm willing to bet she is very useful in level 3-5 dungeons because that's where bleed and blight damage really started to bog me down.

She's not. Vestal has 3-3 heal at that stage nullifying these things.

Edit: I do see your point guy above me, I really do, but I'm a shall we say nethack-like nutter and I like games where the idea of winning is a "maybe one day" prospect. This game pretends to be hard, but it's not.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 13, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game having a fail state would make it many times less fun to me. I prefer to be able to roll with the losses.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
the game's also not done fyi

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Night10194 posted:

This game having a fail state would make it many times less fun to me. I prefer to be able to roll with the losses.

But then what is the challenge? Just grind your way to success at that point. Why not make it f2p and sell heirlooms for steambux? I hope the devs arent reading this thread cause that would probably work. Duffours resolve is being tested, spend 5 gems to reset stress?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Re: food i bring a full stack per firewood i have, plus 4. I basically count on one hunger event per rest, with the last one as an 'in case poo poo happens' meal. I always feast when I rest.

I have to grudgingly agree that the game probably needs a few more fangs, though. After you get the hang of things, it is rare to have a expedition go too wrong. Some 'I expect you to run' fights would probably be good, especially at mid to high levels where your overconfidence can indeed be an insidious killer. Like a brigand team with a slicer that turns out to be a local warlord, so when you push him back he gets pissed and starts summoning reinforcements instead of passing. I have about 15 heroes at level 3 now though and i still only have one hero in my graveyard, which is some no name Jester that died to a brigand team before i understood that moving them was a big deal. The game should be able to respond to the fact that i havent had a casualty in half a year and start throwing gently caress yous in my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

how me a frog posted:

But then what is the challenge? Just grind your way to success at that point. Why not make it f2p and sell heirlooms for steambux? I hope the devs arent reading this thread cause that would probably work. Duffours resolve is being tested, spend 5 gems to reset stress?

You're a loving idiot and this post gave me +15 stress