Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

being risk averse is not competency dude no matter how much you believe it so

edit: my shame, my shame

That's not really what I was trying to say at all- more that people in non-SRP'd fleets actually do things like pay attention, follow simple instruction, etc. and often shy away from things like... overheating your MWD Scimitar directly into the enemy for SRP payouts.

I wouldn't call this competency, I'd call it 'focus' (I guess?)

Xolve fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Honest question, is there another fight somewhere? Cause even losing a few big fleets of ceptors doesn't seem like it would be enough to set that. I mean there were single DD's in the remote DD days that wiped 400+ instantly, and that would happen a few times a day during lovely lagged POS shoots and such.

I don't see much on Dotlan to suggest its super busy anywhere else.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

crew posted:

nah dude its called not being emotionally invested in vidya games

EVE is not fun if not invested...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
OK, now that everyone is at war against goons again, I want to play Eve again. How in the hell did reddit shitlers manage to unite to be semi-effective at anything though?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

That's not really what I was trying to say at all- more that people in non-SRP'd fleets actually do things like pay attention, follow simple instruction, etc. and often shy away from things like... overheating your MWD Scimitar directly into the enemy for SRP payouts.

competency is not lost or gained by dint of communism, you realize this right

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm actually kind of curious how other Alliances (non-Imperium) work? My total experience with Eve revolves around years of skill queue online in high sec doing missions and mining before joining Goonswarm and I used an alt to have a brief stint with Brave when they were just getting big and tried out a FW corp. I know there are some things which are just universal, like Jump Freighter service of some sort. But how much of life in Deklien similar to life in other 0.0 areas? Are jump bridge networks common? Is it common to find high Industrial/Combat levels? Do other regions get hit with roamers or solo hunters on a multiple times a day basis? I have to imagine a third party VOIP option is common, but what about assembling fleets or announcements? Is an IM service common or is it more common to see things done in-game? Does anything like the FC system in the Imperium exist elsewhere?

Man I could go on and on. I should probably just find some completely neutral parties and try one out.

Edit:
Actually I think what I'm curious about most is how it affects the quality of the player. I'm pretty sure I'm a super poo poo Eve player and if I tried to fly in anything under a 50-man "gang" I'd be worse than useless, but then again I'm a perfectly happy cog in the machine type of person.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Xolve posted:

Well yeah but the kill delta from actual skill in large fleet fights (aside from the part of the FC and key players) can't be that large - you're losing more ships based on who's primaried rather than who's jerking off instead of watching their screen.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Xolve posted:

if that was a proven behavior and not fanfic from your imagination then I would have to say you make a very good point.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

blowfish posted:

OK, now that everyone is at war against goons again, I want to play Eve again. How in the hell did reddit shitlers manage to unite to be semi-effective at anything though?

they didnt, an outside source is mad at sma and by extension goonfleetswarm coalition and is bankrolling all the people said goonfleetswarm has beat the poo poo out of for the past 5-8 years along with pl to come poo poo in the living room and make a mess of the pots and pans

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cygni posted:

Honest question, is there another fight somewhere? Cause even losing a few big fleets of ceptors doesn't seem like it would be enough to set that. I mean there were single DD's in the remote DD days that wiped 400+ instantly, and that would happen a few times a day during lovely lagged POS shoots and such.

For a while it was kinda busy in the southeast near Insmother with Red Alliance dying (again). That was back in December/January then this whole northern thing started to pick up. There are smatterings of fighting elsewhere in Nullsec but most of it is up north.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

I mean there were single DD's in the remote DD days that wiped 400+ instantly, and that would happen a few times a day during lovely lagged POS shoots and such.

You're amplifying the amount of people that fought in those olden days. It used to be that 800 ships blown up in an hour was considered unparalleled meat grinder. I'm not sure 400 ships ever got swatted by a single DD. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of any DDs more destructive than The Enslaver's introductory one in 1v, and that was only 230.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

nessin posted:

I'm actually kind of curious how other Alliances (non-Imperium) work? My total experience with Eve revolves around years of skill queue online in high sec doing missions and mining before joining Goonswarm and I used an alt to have a brief stint with Brave when they were just getting big and tried out a FW corp. I know there are some things which are just universal, like Jump Freighter service of some sort. But how much of life in Deklien similar to life in other 0.0 areas? Are jump bridge networks common? Is it common to find high Industrial/Combat levels? Do other regions get hit with roamers or solo hunters on a multiple times a day basis? I have to imagine a third party VOIP option is common, but what about assembling fleets or announcements? Is an IM service common or is it more common to see things done in-game? Does anything like the FC system in the Imperium exist elsewhere?

Man I could go on and on. I should probably just find some completely neutral parties and try one out.

You'll find bits and pieces in other alliances. Really competent alliances might ahve everything, but on a smaller scale. AFAIK we're the only ones that have everything at a truly effective scale.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

competency is not lost or gained by dint of communism, you realize this right

I don't know how to explain this without drawing awful parallels between EVE and real life.

So I'm not going to, the point was people can exist without SRP- whatever anecdotal poo poo about ~muh preference~ I tied onto that doesn't really matter. gently caress.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

nessin posted:

FC usually lead alliances, one important enough would lead a collective FCs. Goon used to have the best IT infrastructure, now it seems everyone got more or less similar level of it.

This thread is moving too fast to post+follow.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

I don't know how to explain this without drawing awful parallels between EVE and real life.

So I'm not going to, the point was people can exist without SRP- whatever anecdotal poo poo about ~muh preference~ I tied onto that doesn't really matter. gently caress.

oh do please try to give me some welfare/bootstraps bullshit :allears:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

they didnt, an outside source is mad at sma and by extension goonfleetswarm coalition and is bankrolling all the people said goonfleetswarm has beat the poo poo out of for the past 5-8 years along with pl to come poo poo in the living room and make a mess of the pots and pans

Who? Please let it be Gevlon Goblin or something equally retarded.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

oh do please try to give me some welfare/bootstraps bullshit :allears:

analogies too please

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

blowfish posted:

the somerblink replacement, iwantisk

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:wtf: why is frozenpussy not the worst poster anymore

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

the somerblink replacement, iwantisk

Awesome. Are they a front for the Russian mob mentally ill?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

blowfish posted:

:wtf: why is frozenpussy not the worst poster anymore

he stopped trying so god drat hard and the r/eve ISNT AN ECHO CHAMBER YOU'RE AN ECHO CHAMBER guys stepped up to the challenge

blowfish posted:

not a clue my dude

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

blowfish posted:

Ironically he claims that he's quitting as a result of the upcoming Citadel expansion. Whether or not that will actually happen remains to be seen.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Siets posted:

How do you avoid getting ganked or hotdropped? I wouldn't trust myself to do it unless I knew that.

Also the last time I researched constellations for this, basically Hysera was the only lowsec system that had all highsec neighbor systems and would allow for a 1-carrier setup. There was also a gallente system that had 3 lowsec with the rest highsec in its constellation. Everything else was like 5+ lowsec systems, which means you'd want a carrier in each of those 5+ systems so that you don't have to cyno or go gate-to-gate. What other constellations/factions are out there, or is that it?

Keep a carrier in every LS system in the constellation, warp at 10 to the site and align back, spam dscan and if you see combat probes say gently caress it and warp out and don't come back to that site for a while. It's not impossible but it's generally not worth the effort for your average hunter to go after missioners who aren't stupid.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

lotta mad dudes coming in telling everyone how hard goonfleet gettin owned makes me want to disagree with you

lmao says the guy from the site where users can actively silence dissenting opinions

edit poo poo meant to quote this instead

dragonstalking posted:

It's called an echo chamber.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 4, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyrelio posted:

Ironically he claims that he's quitting as a result of the upcoming Citadel expansion. Whether or not that will actually happen remains to be seen.

If it actually happens, then the expansion will be a success.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Xolve posted:

People can exist without SRP, sure. However, you'll lose out on a lot of the people who can't afford to be losing doctrine ships on the regular. Anyone with less time to play, smaller income streams, no desire to do things that aren't shooting space mans is eventually going to get shafted. PL doesn't have this problem because they're all stupid rich. Lowsec voltron doesn';t have this problem because they're rolling in the level 5 cash. Groups with large amounts of newbies or weekend warriors very much DO have this problem because when they lose their 300m doctrine whatever, they're going to have to go home and rat (meaning they're not in fleet), or just not play because they don't want to rat (meaning they're not in fleet). So to your hordes, braves, tests, goons, et cetera, SRP is a serious strategic advantage.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

blowfish posted:

Well actually Gevlon Goblin was funding some poo poo-tier NPC roleplayers to harass us but went Galt a couple weeks ago because citadels would allow the "socials" to finally shatter his randroid delusions. Also the IWI thing completely overshadowed him in every way.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Magres posted:

lmao says the guy from the site where users can actively silence dissenting opinions

wat

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Goatman Sacks posted:

You're amplifying the amount of people that fought in those olden days. It used to be that 800 ships blown up in an hour was considered unparalleled meat grinder. I'm not sure 400 ships ever got swatted by a single DD. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of any DDs more destructive than The Enslaver's introductory one in 1v, and that was only 230.

Youre probably right, i always forget that the actual fleets spent most of the fights sitting on the gates unable to get into the fuckin systems. I do remember a few where we had at least 200+ get DDed and then all of the pods got picked off by POS guns since we were all grid locked.

Just seems strange that we're setting records today is all.

Lets get the mandatory drunk rifter ops with 'everyone shoot eachother' thunderdome ending going again.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

poo poo my bad i quoted the wrong post

meant to be the thing with dragonstalker calling the thread an echo chamber and mocking the fact that he's from reddit, a site more or less designed to inherently turn every thread into an echo chamber

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

frozenpussy posted:

yes fozzie scraping the barrel for proof of a war. Suspiciously absent is the ISK total.

lol

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

If it actually happens, then the expansion will be a success.

:agreed:

grumpy
Aug 30, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

Jay Amazingness seems to be the only person who "gets it". I was on a swordfleet op with him for 3 hours, and we popped 6 entosis mallers and jammed 4 archons. Over the same time period boat lost 3 entire fleets because he thought dogfighting scram equipped, close range interceptors with Sa Matra Specials was a good idea.

There are some FCs that are getting much better at the hit and run tactic. I flew with Havish and I think Tiger this weekend and we did really well stopping entosis work. Someone posted this in a a swordfleet recently to describe our tactics: https://i.imgur.com/X5ivEwW.gifv

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Cygni posted:

Youre probably right, i always forget that the actual fleets spent most of the fights sitting on the gates unable to get into the fuckin systems. I do remember a few where we had at least 200+ get DDed and then all of the pods got picked off by POS guns since we were all grid locked.

Just seems strange that we're setting records today is all.

Lets get the mandatory drunk rifter ops with 'everyone shoot eachother' thunderdome ending going again.

back in the Great War days we didn't have easy access to replacement ships like we do now

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Cygni posted:

Imperium lost nearly 1400 interceptors alone this weekend, like not all fleets just intys.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Potato Salad posted:

There's an insane amount of sov turnover. I'm trying to think of a four-day period during which more sov was lost than (1) T2N dropping during the Fountain War and (2) The last four days.
Haargoth.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

blowfish posted:

I wouldnt really call them united, its more of a dogpile.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Xolve posted:

Personally flying logi I noticed a distinct difference between when we were SRPing all dps ships to when we stopped SRPing them at all. It's wasn't some game changing improvement, but it was an improvement. Our logi numbers also went up because of it.

Unfortunately this is also anecdotal and I have no psychological studies to prove to the scientific community of SA that it's true.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Morris posted:

Well actually Gevlon Goblin was funding some poo poo-tier NPC roleplayers to harass us but went Galt a couple weeks ago because citadels would allow the "socials" to finally shatter his randroid delusions. Also the IWI thing completely overshadowed him in every way.

Hes really mad about it too

Some gambling website spanish rmtlords got more results in a couple weeks than he did in 3 years just by paying the right people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Are all the goonies dead yet? Can Reddit and friends finally mine in hisec in peace?

• Locked thread