Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Because Clinton lost votes due to her personal unpopularity as opposed to any sort of policy considerations

and all the other centrists that lost since 2008 were also personally unpopular. but don't worry, there's a whole backbench of likeable centrists, such as:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fiction posted:

Why do you think she was personally unpopular? Might it have something to do with her unceasing triangulation?

That, her 30 years in the public eye being subjected to both meritless and merited attacks, her secrecy, her unseemly money grabs after losing in 2008.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

So Clinton changing her views on multiple issues over the past 20 years and her links to powerful multinational corporations despite ostensibly fighting for working people had no contribution to her unpopularity with independents?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

perez is clintonite trash and if he wins it means republican ascendancy for at least another 20 years

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

if he wins it means republican ascendancy for at least another 20 years

Based on?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Based on?

losses in 2018 due to poorly chosen candidates for governor hand the republicans yet another census decade

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Calibanibal posted:

perez is clintonite trash and if he wins it means republican ascendancy for at least another 20 years

His only connection to the Clinton wing was supporting her in the primary you loving idiot.

Fiction posted:

losses in 2018 due to poorly chosen candidates for governor hand the republicans yet another census decade

That will totally be Tom Perez's fault that voters chose poor candidates.

Fiction posted:

So Clinton changing her views on multiple issues over the past 20 years and her links to powerful multinational corporations despite ostensibly fighting for working people had no contribution to her unpopularity with independents?

Weird how other candidates with these same things qualities aren't labeled as Hitler. Gosh, I wonder what else could be going on here. :allears:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

20 years is also the amount of time it will take us to build up a real leftist party and topple the DNC

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

His only connection to the Clinton wing was supporting her in the primary you loving idiot.

That will totally be Tom Perez's fault that voters chose poor candidates.

it will be when he rigs the contests like DWS did. for a while he was saying it was a bad thing to have done and we need a transparent chair, but he doesn't feel that way anymore

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Condiv posted:

it will be when he rigs the contests like DWS did. for a while he was saying it was a bad thing to have done and we need a transparent chair, but he doesn't feel that way anymore

The primary wasn't loving rigged you idiot.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

jaime harrison, the lobbyists' candidate, dropped out and endorsed him. we all know which side his bread is buttered on.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

how do you explain the coordination with the clinton campagin before the primary was even over

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

perez said it was

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The DNC is just the really decentralized governing body of the Democratic party and "toppling" it is a meaningless phrase, though? It's like saying you're going to topple Congress. Like, I know it's used as a metonym for the hated neoliberal elites or whatever but it's an actual thing and the end goal of the whole "fill local county boards with passionate progressive" thing is theoretically to get those same people onto the DNC eventually.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fiction posted:

jaime harrison, the lobbyists' candidate, dropped out and endorsed him. we all know which side his bread is buttered on.

how do you explain the coordination with the clinton campagin before the primary was even over

They coordinated with the Sanders campaign too. Like there wasn't some shadowy cabal changing votes from Bernie to Hillary. That. did. not. happen.

Condiv posted:

perez said it was

You could not be dumber if you tried.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Condiv posted:

perez said it was

He's wrong. It wasn't rigged. That is stupid. It was a colossal gently caress up but she did get more votes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Condiv posted:

perez said it was

and then walked it back while stepping on a billion rakes at the debate, at which i chortled heartily

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And you think it's okay for Bernie to have no doubt pushed Ellison to run for the same reason?

Do you have proof that this happened?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The primary election was rigged in the usual way most primaries are rigged. All of it completely above the board of course.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if the DNC can't even acknowledge the obvious primary rigging then LMAO we really are hosed. i guess we would rather bend over for trump than admit to wrongdoing

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Tim Kaine is fine. Hillary didn't install DWS, Obama did (and then came to regret it) after Kaine stepped aside to run for Senate after being termed out as VA Governor (he was DNC chair mostly while we was out of office as Governor.) Kaine was Obama's second pick for VP after Biden and basically given the DNC Chair as compensation, after Obama ousted the Howard Dean people from power.

They gave DWS a meaningless, token position to make her go the gently caress the away (it was an unpaid position with no real power or authority.) Everyone in the party hated DWS by 2014 and Obama and future HRC Campaign boss Podesta schemed getting rid of her for two years, and Podesta and the Clinton campaign wanted to get rid of her ASAP -- as we know from the leaked Podesta emails.

Maybe the fact that the New Democrats were willing to purge the most successful DNC chair in decades but not willing to purge a goddamn disaster that everybody apparently hated is indicative of a bigger problem here? And if this is the case, should you really want the guy these people are endorsing as DNC chair?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and then walked it back while stepping on a billion rakes at the debate, at which i chortled heartily

yeah, but like this article mentions, i don't really think he misspoke. when he originally made the "it was rigged comment" he later went on to give specific examples:

quote:

Sanders supporters alleged that the DNC scheduled presidential primary debates at inopportune times to prevent candidates other than Clinton from getting a chance to be seen by the widest possible audience.

Perez, who touted hiring both former Clinton and Sanders staffers, said that next time, the party should plan its debates before the candidates are in the race, “so there’s no question whatsoever.”

he told the truth and then tried to walk it back lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Maybe the fact that the New Democrats were willing to purge the most successful DNC chair in decades but not willing to purge a goddamn disaster that everybody apparently hated is indicative of a bigger problem here? And if this is the case, should you really want the guy these people are endorsing as DNC chair?

part of the problem was that DWS realized everyone loving hated her and prepped an attack where she was going to call everyone anti-semities if she was forced out

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Bernie lost, get over it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Holy poo poo stop responding to Condiv's batshit insane rambling you idiots.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tom Perez: Clinton's new friend — and maybe VP

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Hillary lost, don't get over it.

The lesson of 2016 needs to be loving learned, if we run some loving corporate stooge in 2020 the party is dead.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

so when perez agreed that the primary was rigged did he simply lie like a pandering simp, or did he accidently tell the truth, or is he just too stupid for such a high-profile position

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeas I do support destroying the settlement that Obama and Holder got. Why? Because that settlement pissed off alot of voters who wanted to see the filth that caused them to lose their homes punished. Them paying fines was not punishment. Them getting 20 years to life would have been punishment. I do love how centrists libs jerk off to the idea that sociopathic bankers don't get whats coming to them.

If you'd have read the post that you quoted, you'll know that I agree with you. The question is if Perez should have unilaterally blown up the settlements-pissing away the opportunity to (very successfully!) reform the OCR-in order to push for charges that, even if filed, would have been dropped immediately upon his "resignation"? It's disingenuous as gently caress to blame Perez for Obama's desire to not jail anyone.

Condiv posted:

yes to both. the settlement was a disgrace, like all the loving wall street settlements under obama. also, the banks in question had cost pensions tons of money over the decade of them scamming everyone, i think that warrants them not getting a waiver.
So the unions, who wanted to work with CS, had to be protected from themselves? That's nuts. Hammer the unions for going back to the organization that cost them cash. There are valid criticism of Perez, but "allowed unions autonomy over their money while heading Labor" doesn't seem like one of them to me.

Condiv posted:

yes the obama administration was opposed to jailing anyone. how much criminal poo poo came out during his presidency? HSBC laundering money for drug dealers? banks foreclosing on active duty service members, banks forging paperwork so they can foreclose on people, the forex scandal, libor, etc. Nothing but slaps on the wrist.

Reread the post. I agree with you. My point was that Perez charging people for the misdemeanors that he was able to enforce wouldn't have gone anywhere (certainly not to trial) because Obama and Holder very clearly didn't want them to. This only falls on Perez if you believe that Obama and Holder would have allowed him to keep his job and actually try those cases. Based on what we both agree was Obama's policy, he very clearly wouldn't have been.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
False tridichotomy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

so when perez agreed that the primary was rigged did he simply lie like a pandering simp, or did he accidently tell the truth, or is he just too stupid for such a high-profile position

why not all three!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

part of the problem was that DWS realized everyone loving hated her and prepped an attack where she was going to call everyone anti-semities if she was forced out

So they let some walking disaster take the entire party hostage because they were afraid to be called mean words? That's not exactly a point in their favour either.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

rigged primaries are not good. they result in loser candidates losing to fascists with bad combovers. we need a dnc chair that doesn't play favorites during primaries so we have the strongest and most representative dems as our candidates

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

...to Hillary, one of the most disliked nominees in history, who lost to an orange clown man (who, incidentally, was the only person running on either side who was more disliked than Hillary). And your position has been "Do nothing, ignore everyone who opposed her, everything is awesome."

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 24, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Paracaidas posted:

Reread the post. I agree with you. My point was that Perez charging people for the misdemeanors that he was able to enforce wouldn't have gone anywhere (certainly not to trial) because Obama and Holder very clearly didn't want them to. This only falls on Perez if you believe that Obama and Holder would have allowed him to keep his job and actually try those cases. Based on what we both agree was Obama's policy, he very clearly wouldn't have been.

Nobody could ever be expected to do what's right if it might cost them their high-prestige job.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Rigged is probably too strong a word, but you have to admit it was a loving dumpster fire. I don't think there's any scenario where Bernie would have won the primary, but it looks extremely bad from every angle. For example, he won New Hampshire in a landslide in every demographic but walked away with a 50/50 delegate split because of the superdelegate system. Shortly afterward in an interview with Jake Tapper, DWS literally said out loud "Unpledged delegates exist really to make sure that party leaders and elected officials don’t have to be in a position where they are running against grassroots activists”.

We can't let that happen again. I'm reasonably sure either Ellison or Perez will keep things from getting that hairy, but unless they outright pledge to get rid of superdelegates there's no guarantee.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

rigged maybe isn't the right word because the primary isn't a physical contraption with rigging. the right word is conspiracy

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The DNC did not affect the outcome of the democratic primary. Bernie lost by a very substantial margin. Your misplaced rage is driving you further away from relevance in the party by the day.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Luckily it looks like with Clinton out of the picture that the 2020 Dem primary will be a 2016 Republicans level shitshow in terms of number of candidates. Which is a good thing and is pretty independent of who the chair is.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

The DNC did not affect the outcome of the democratic primary. Bernie lost by a very substantial margin. Your misplaced rage is driving you further away from relevance in the party by the day.

they affected the outcome by allowing clinton to sideline all potential challengers so she could have a clear path to losing the election disastrously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

"If you don't play nice with us you'll never get to be captain of the good ship S.S. Democrats"

*ignores the 30 degree list and that the power is cut off due to the engine room flooding*

• Locked thread