Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

California?

South Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My crazy student went to another instructor and my difficult ultralight-instructor know-it-all student finally started listening to what I said, and he's going for a flight test on Wednesday! I got the day off tomorrow due to a fortuitous combination of cancellations and moving my lunatic to the other instructor, so I'm gonna find a safety pilot and practice some IFR stuff for a change.

Everything's magicked itself better somehow!

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Rolo posted:

Make a thread, I had a lot of builder friends in my A&P days and I miss the environment.

Also RIP your wallet if you don’t have tools yet.

I have the tools. The good thing about having a grandfather that was a master pipefitter and a father that was a Vietnam era crew chief is that you were left a bunch of high quality tools in the wills.

I'll be making a thread as soon as the crates show up at the hangar.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

MrYenko posted:

This is what really puts the kibosh on it for me. That, and build space. Oh, and some of the highest hangar rates in the country.

I need to move. :(

Its not nice here in Northern MA either. NH was cheaper but runway conditions were never all that good.

Luckily there is a very good possibility we will be moving to florida in the next couple of years so there is some hope.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

EvilMerlin posted:

I have the tools. The good thing about having a grandfather that was a master pipefitter and a father that was a Vietnam era crew chief is that you were left a bunch of high quality tools in the wills.

I'll be making a thread as soon as the crates show up at the hangar.

Kick rear end.

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

Anyone here build or fly a Kitfox Super Sport?

I just finalized a deal on an untouched kit from last year. Going to be using a Rotax 912S (the one I found has about 80 hours on it, and clean).

Very much looking forward to the build.

I previously owned a Kitfox IV Speedster, and I'm currently building a Rans S20, which is probably an equivalent airplane, flaperons and folding wings being the significant difference. Right now I'm kicking the idea around of putting a 180hp engine on in place of the 912.

Let's talk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My IFR work wasn't nearly as rusty as I expected, and -- frankly -- I was flying way better than I did on my instrument rating flight test! It was nice flying just for fun and practice rather than for work.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
So this happened. Not pictured fuel flow.

Also this.

So loving bright. And I can leave the strobes on without hearing an annoying whine over the intercom.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

helno posted:

Also this.

So loving bright. And I can leave the strobes on without hearing an annoying whine over the intercom.

Is that the avionics upgrade you were doing? Dead sexy.

Also, yesterday was the first time I flew IFR using the G5 instead of the conventional six-pack, and holy gently caress does having the information presented all in one gauge make the scan a lot easier. I'd flown that plane loads of time VFR without noticing that the CDI, glideslope, heading, heading bug, and all that stuff is presented in one glorious, blessed instrument. I just wish they'd made it a little bit more intuitive to change the OBS, but that's a very minor complaint considering it automatically changes itself when the GPS shifts to a new waypoint anyway! You could teach an orangutan to fly an RNAV approach with that thing :v:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I'm actually a bit concerned that it is going to be very difficult to do partial panel flying if they fail them both.

So much information in one place.

The G5 drives the autopilot a lot better than the worn out Stec DG.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I got to do the first half of my instrument time in a G1000 172 since it was an IFR day and my usual plane was a radio short, and holy hell that was sexy. Felt like I was playing a video game.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

helno posted:

I'm actually a bit concerned that it is going to be very difficult to do partial panel flying if they fail them both.

How so? You still have airspeed, magnetic compass, turn coordinator, altimeter and an OBS which I assume is connected to NAV2, and that's all you'd get during partial-panel in an ordinary plane. The good thing is that, practically speaking, it's incredibly unlikely that they'd both fail at once, since they have independent systems and battery backups in the event of an electrical failure, unlike traditional HI/AH pairs which share a common point of failure.

Speaking of practicalities in the event of system failures: do you have an ADF? I don't know what it's like where you fly, but we still require ADFs because our ILS's missed approach procedure involves an NDB hold, because why bother spending money on a VOR lol, right? If you're filing IFR, make sure that your destination or your alternate has an approach that you can fly with the equipment on board in the event of a failure in any single navigation system -- including the missed approach.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

helno posted:

Also this.

What are strobes without a whine or clicking noise each time they fire, anyway?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

So just to add some more details here is what was done.

Remove

ADF, Loran-C, KX175, all associated antennas, vacuum gyros and vacuum system, remove position lights and strobes.

Install

GTN650
GTX335
GMA345
Dual G5's
FS210
FS-450
Whelen Orion 600 series nav lights
Update Stec-50 to accept GPSS from G5 HSI
Add copilot PTT
New jacks all four seats both lemo 6 pin and dual GA

Not cheap by any means but it moves this plane into the 21st century.

This cost more than the initial purchase price of the aircraft. However the aircraft market has changed a lot. Try to find a Cherokee 180 with a low time engine and autopilot for $30k CAD these days.

Looking back at the last 50 years that this plane has been in service it has typically had a significant investment in the panel every 20 years. Adjusted to 2018 dollars this actually cost less than the Stec-50 and KX-155 install that was done in the late 90's.

helno fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 6, 2018

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
For those not in the loop the FAA just put out an Emergency AD for the 737-8 and -9. The short version is that the AoA vane may fail and report and excessively high angle of attack which will cause the stall protection system to unnecessarily trim the horizontal stab in the nose down direction. It sound like they're pretty sure that's what got lion air.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The instructor who inherited my lunatic says "one more flight and I'm done with him if he doesn't improve." Weak. It took me three flights and one sim session before I reached that level of frustration! :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Buy him an account.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

dupersaurus posted:

I got to do the first half of my instrument time in a G1000 172 since it was an IFR day and my usual plane was a radio short, and holy hell that was sexy. Felt like I was playing a video game.

The G1000 and G500's are more or less what drove me out of Aviation for a long while.

I grew up flying on nothing but 5 instruments and a bobber in a tank of fuel.

a few decades later loving computers everywhere.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

rldmoto posted:

I previously owned a Kitfox IV Speedster, and I'm currently building a Rans S20, which is probably an equivalent airplane, flaperons and folding wings being the significant difference. Right now I'm kicking the idea around of putting a 180hp engine on in place of the 912.

Let's talk.

EPIC.

Did you build your Kitfox or did you buy it built from someone?

180? Isn't the S20 rated for 100 (912 right?).

Man throw some massive tundra tires on there and take it anywhere you want...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Got my first successful flight test recommend today! My annoying Afrikaner finally managed to pull himself together, listen to what we were telling him, and pass his flight test.

So that's a pretty massive confidence boost for me as an instructor, considering my first recommend was an outright bed-making GBS threads fail (and that student was a way, way better pilot, so this confirms to me that I did not make a mistake in recommending him, he just had a dreadful day and bad nerves).

And despite the fact I often got frustrated flying with this guy, the dude was so happy when he was told he passed that he was literally in tears, and it felt pretty drat cool to be a part of that :unsmith:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Way to go RyanAir

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
I wonder if the French put a very large boot on one of the main landing gear.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Two Kings posted:

A big croissant shaped boot.

Oooohohohohoho!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Two Kings posted:

When someone seizes an airplane, they typically attach a tug to it, deplane everyone then tow the aircraft to a remote stand. I've seen this happen more than a few times, including when Mexicana shut down,and one of their creditors seized one of their A319s over unpaid bills.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

That Canadian ferry flight I posted about earlier fell apart, but the guy found a plane in Panama City, Florida he wanted, and asked me to move it instead. It’s a standard, US registered aircraft going half the distance as that other one would have, so I said yes, and this afternoon I flew it from Florida to Vicksburg, MS :D

Plane is a Grumman AA1B Trainer. I’ve flown it for 5 hours or so so far and I kind of love it.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 11, 2018

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Anyone here still involved with Ottawa Aviation Services (OAS)?

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/9w2i82/canada_is_anyone_here_studying_or_working_at/

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

EPIC.

Did you build your Kitfox or did you buy it built from someone?

180? Isn't the S20 rated for 100 (912 right?).

Man throw some massive tundra tires on there and take it anywhere you want...

I bought the Kitfox. The S20 was originally designed around the Rotax 912 as a fully tube and fabric plane, but Rans has since designed some metal wings for the plane and a firewall forward kit for the Titan 340 engine. I'm still undecided on which powerplant I'll go with... my uncle built and flies an Rotax S-7 and goes in and out of everywhere his Carbon Cub buddies go.

See below:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

rldmoto posted:

I bought the Kitfox. The S20 was originally designed around the Rotax 912 as a fully tube and fabric plane, but Rans has since designed some metal wings for the plane and a firewall forward kit for the Titan 340 engine. I'm still undecided on which powerplant I'll go with... my uncle built and flies an Rotax S-7 and goes in and out of everywhere his Carbon Cub buddies go.

See below:

Nice.

The Kitfoxes around here for sale (built) have all had some issue or another. With kit-builts I'm more than a bit cautious when buying something someone else did. Yeah I got the build logs (ya' kinda have to), and all that stuff, but usually I end up finding bad welds, bad glue joints or something.

So enough was enough and I bought an un-started kit.

Important thing to remember is 80% of ALL home built serious incidents are engine related. And almost 40% of them are from folks sticking unrated engines in the airframe. Luckily yours won't have this issue with the Titan. And goodness that RoC is amazing...

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

EvilMerlin posted:

Important thing to remember is 80% of ALL home built serious incidents are engine related. And almost 40% of them are from folks sticking unrated engines in the airframe. Luckily yours won't have this issue with the Titan. And goodness that RoC is amazing...

I've always wondered about this. What drives so many home builders to put non rated engines into their airplanes? Is it cost, part availability, performance, or is it more of a "I'm a special snowflake and I want my airplane to be one too" kind of thing? One of our old ground instructors used to have a lancair iv that was powered by the rotary engine from a madza rx-7 which seemed like a poor choice for a single engine plane based at a mountainous airport.

PT6A posted:

So that's a pretty massive confidence boost for me as an instructor, considering my first recommend was an outright bed-making GBS threads fail (and that student was a way, way better pilot, so this confirms to me that I did not make a mistake in recommending him, he just had a dreadful day and bad nerves).

Every student check ride failure I had as an instructor was a student who I felt confident about. Somehow all the sketchy ones managed to pass but some of my best students have pink slips because they just did a dumb in front of the examiner. Don't sweat your pass rate too much, it's pretty obvious to the examiner/faa/your boss whether your students aren't prepared or are just having an off day.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

KodiakRS posted:

I've always wondered about this. What drives so many home builders to put non rated engines into their airplanes? Is it cost, part availability, performance, or is it more of a "I'm a special snowflake and I want my airplane to be one too" kind of thing? One of our old ground instructors used to have a lancair iv that was powered by the rotary engine from a madza rx-7 which seemed like a poor choice for a single engine plane based at a mountainous airport.

I've been around the Experimental folks so much, I can for sure say its the "I'm a special snowflake" mixed with "I'm not paying that much for a motor" group.

The first group is dangerous.

The second group is just stupid. Look morons its the most important part of your aircraft. Why the gently caress do you want to skimp and go cheap.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

KodiakRS posted:

Every student check ride failure I had as an instructor was a student who I felt confident about. Somehow all the sketchy ones managed to pass but some of my best students have pink slips because they just did a dumb in front of the examiner. Don't sweat your pass rate too much, it's pretty obvious to the examiner/faa/your boss whether your students aren't prepared or are just having an off day.

I'll admit.. I failed my first check ride.

Because I got stupid. I did something I shouldn't have during my check ride. Mostly because I was so worked up about the check ride...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I partialled my first check ride. No problems since!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KodiakRS posted:

I'd have to assume that most people who would contemplate home-building an aircraft are firmly in the "knows enough to be dangerous" category when it comes to most of the engineering aspects of aircraft, especially those involving safety margins. As with anything people tend to learn how large those safety margins are well before they understand why they're as large as they are, and that's a very dangerous point to be left unsupervised.

Also it seems like a fair bet that a decent number of those building aircraft are doing so with the intent that it provides them a cheaper way to fly, so the cost cutting aspect is definitely a factor.

That said, specifically regarding the RX-7 engine, I've always heard that the naturally aspirated versions of those are pretty decent for aircraft use. They're light, compact, extremely low vibration, and have few moving parts. It's the turbo models that were questionable, especially the twin turbo model with its maze of a vacuum system.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The wankel is the only alternative engine I’d even remotely consider in an experimental.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

PT6A posted:

I partialled my first check ride. No problems since!

Yeah my PPL-SEL was the only one I bombed the first time. No issue with anything else...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

e.pilot posted:

The wankel is the only alternative engine I’d even remotely consider in an experimental.

Geiger Motor GmbH makes em, but don't know many airframes fully rated for them.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I don't really know where else to post this. I have a crippling fear of flying. Are there any good online resources to help?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Took me three times to pass MEI, a combination of overconfidence, fatigue, and an awful DPE on the first go.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

e.pilot posted:

Took me three times to pass MEI, a combination of overconfidence, fatigue, and an awful DPE on the first go.

all my Instrument tests were horrible. I mean like full on runny shits the night before, sweating my rear end off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't really know where else to post this. I have a crippling fear of flying. Are there any good online resources to help?

What actually SCARES you when you fly?