Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The AFC South Division Champion of 2019 will be...
This poll is closed.
Houtson 29 31.18%
Indianapolis 25 26.88%
Jacksonville 22 23.66%
Tennessee 17 18.28%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

100% this guy has gotten up to more wicked poo poo than snyder unfortunately

He and Peyton probably snorted cocaine off of hookers while rubbing their balls on a sobbing secretary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Raku posted:

100% this guy has gotten up to more wicked poo poo than snyder unfortunately

He and Peyton probably snorted cocaine off of hookers while rubbing their balls on a sobbing secretary

I think those are his daughters but yeah

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Elephanthead posted:

I think those are his daughters but yeah

Which daughter is the hooker and which one the secretary?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I am pretty ignorant about NFL football. I'm not even sure this is the right thread, but it is AFC South related. I've been watching the Good Place and it often implies that Blake Bortles sucks. I looked him up out of curiosity and read that:

- He was only a three star recruit
- He was the 44th best QB in his HS class
- He played for a mid-tier FBS school (and admittedly led them to a win in their conference)

He seems like a good player but not like a knock-your-socks-off player.

- But then he gets drafted third
- And plays for the Jaguars for five years

Again, I'm coming to this from a place of ignorance and I'm hoping I can get some context. It seems like he got drafted way high and played for a while. Was it just a bad year for drafting QBs? What happened there?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The jags are an extremely bad franchise and constantly make bad decisions that's all the context you need

E: teddy Bridgwater was the obvious number 1 qb that year but he fell because teams are morons. Teddy was looking good before almost losing his leg. Derek Carr was also a promising prospect that looked miles better than bortles at the time

Metapod fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 20, 2020

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Grifter posted:

I am pretty ignorant about NFL football. I'm not even sure this is the right thread, but it is AFC South related. I've been watching the Good Place and it often implies that Blake Bortles sucks. I looked him up out of curiosity and read that:

- He was only a three star recruit
- He was the 44th best QB in his HS class
- He played for a mid-tier FBS school (and admittedly led them to a win in their conference)

He seems like a good player but not like a knock-your-socks-off player.

- But then he gets drafted third
- And plays for the Jaguars for five years

Again, I'm coming to this from a place of ignorance and I'm hoping I can get some context. It seems like he got drafted way high and played for a while. Was it just a bad year for drafting QBs? What happened there?

Bortles is a garbage time hero. so many yards and points came when the game was wrapped up.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

The jags are an extremely bad franchise and constantly make bad decisions that's all the context you need

E: teddy Bridgwater was the obvious number 1 qb that year but he fell because teams are morons. Teddy was looking good before almost losing his leg. Derek Carr was also a promising prospect that looked miles better than bortles at the time

Bridgewater was the obvious #1 QB, but he had a meh pro day in the rain and wind, and everyone lost their mind. If you look at the draft, it it STACKED with talent, and the Jags took a meh QB prospect #3.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
People were looking for all kinds of excuses to drop Bridgewater. At one point I think him wearing a glove even became a big deal

I remember in the mock draft thread I took Jimmy G in the mid 2nd and got laughed at, who's laughing now :colbert:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

People were looking for all kinds of excuses to drop Bridgewater. At one point I think him wearing a glove even became a big deal

I remember in the mock draft thread I took Jimmy G in the mid 2nd and got laughed at, who's laughing now :colbert:

people wanted to drop him, but at the time, based on his college production and skills, he was the best prospect.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

people wanted to drop him, but at the time, based on his college production and skills, he was the best prospect.

I'm not denying that, just adding to it with the glove thing

I think hand size was also an issue?

The part about Jimmy G was unrelated to the part about Teddy

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

If you look at the draft, it it STACKED with talent, and the Jags took a meh QB prospect #3.

Just to emphasize this, here are the Pro Bowlers taken between Bortles and the Jags' next pick, at 39

Khalil Mack
Jake Matthews
Mike Evans
Anthony Barr
Eric Ebron
Taylor Lewan
Odell Beckham
Aaron Donald
Kyle Fuller
Ryan Shazier
Zack Martin
C.J. Mosley
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Dee Ford
Jason Verrett
Teddy Bridgewater
DeMarcus Lawrence
Joel Bitonio
Derek Carr

That's two better QBs and a number of people all across the field who would have helped the Jags more than Bortles

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
When you have the chance to have a starting quarterback named Blake Bortles, you have to take it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
there's a reality where the jags draft mack or watkins then trade back in the first to get teddy

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Thanks for answering my question, everybody. Seems like the Good Place is accurate in that Bortles and the Jags aren't that good.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grifter posted:

Thanks for answering my question, everybody. Seems like the Good Place is accurate in that Bortles and the Jags aren't that good.

The Jags built a powerhouse defense and rode it to the AFC championship game, then proceeded to piss off or ship out or both all of its best players but not before giving Bortles a big extension then cutting him a year later when he unsurprisingly sucked as he had his entire career outside of garbage time

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Just to emphasize this, here are the Pro Bowlers taken between Bortles and the Jags' next pick, at 39

Khalil Mack
Jake Matthews
Mike Evans
Anthony Barr
Eric Ebron
Taylor Lewan
Odell Beckham
Aaron Donald
Kyle Fuller
Ryan Shazier
Zack Martin
C.J. Mosley
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Dee Ford
Jason Verrett
Teddy Bridgewater
DeMarcus Lawrence
Joel Bitonio
Derek Carr

That's two better QBs and a number of people all across the field who would have helped the Jags more than Bortles

I was about to post this same thing.

The previous time they went QB in 2011, they took Blaine Gabbert at #11. Here's some players they passed on:

JJ Watt
Mark INgram
Andy Dalton
Colin Kaepernick
Randall Cobb
DeMarco Murray
Nick Fairley
Mike Pouncey

You can do this a LOT with the Jags' drafts for well over a decade. It explains everything about the team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

(changing the wording)

Every team drafts an early first round bust every now and then. The Jags just do it so much it's astounding

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Drafting that dlinemen instead of lamar is my favorite

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
As a follow up to my last post the Jags’ pick at 39 was Marqise Lee when Davante Adams and Jarvis Landry we’re available but at least they hit on Allen Robinson at 61

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Somehow poor Allen Robinson downgraded from Bortles

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Somehow poor Allen Robinson downgraded from Bortles

Can we get him one good QB please?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Can we get him one good QB please?

Ah yes the Andre Johnson Conundrum

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

Ah yes the Andre Johnson Conundrum

Eh Schaub was at worst top 10 until injuries caught up with him

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Agreed. Schaub erasure is not acceptable, dude balled for a long time and is still in the league right? Yes he flames out as a starter not unlike the space shuttle upon reentry but he was good for a long time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Agreed. Schaub erasure is not acceptable, dude balled for a long time and is still in the league right? Yes he flames out as a starter not unlike the space shuttle upon reentry but he was good for a long time.

Still the backup in Atlanta

Poor guy never recovered from throwing like 90 passes in 4 days, also being kicked in the dick and balls by Suh

e: make that 103 passes

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 22, 2020

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I still maintain Texans had a great shot at a Super Bowl in 2011, until fat loving Albert Haynesworth fell on his foot and stuck us with the TJ Yates experience.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dramatika posted:

I still maintain Texans had a great shot at a Super Bowl in 2011, until fat loving Albert Haynesworth fell on his foot and stuck us with the TJ Yates experience.

They're probably the prohibitive favorite before that

Hell, even Leinart babies them to the AFCCG most likely but he went down after two passes

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Dramatika posted:

I don't think anyone who can remember pre-injury Schaub would disagree. There are a lot of people who only remember "lol pick six" though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Comrayn posted:

I don't think anyone who can remember pre-injury Schaub would disagree. There are a lot of people who only remember "lol pick six" though.

He went into that SF game tied for most consecutive games with a pick six and threw one on his first attempt IIRC

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Intruder posted:

He went into that SF game tied for most consecutive games with a pick six and threw one on his first attempt IIRC

that was so much fun to root for that streak to continue on.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm not forgetting Schaub but AJ still overall suffered a lot

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was at the game where the Texans were way up and then blew it against the Seahawks. Schaub threw a naked bootleg in the flat to Owen Daniels who had only one man between him and the end zone. Of course, there was also no one behind Daniels. That man was Richard Sherman, and Schaub soft tossed that poo poo

lol

The fans around me had been giving these two Seahawks fans grief the entire game to that point. No more after that. Kareem Jackson would go on to do a loving suplex on I can't remember who

e: here's a collection. I had forgotten the exact details of the Seahawks play, it was an even worse pass than I thought but it was under pressure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ABT_3Pon8

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 24, 2020

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Intruder posted:

I was at the game where the Texans were way up and then blew it against the Seahawks. Schaub threw a naked bootleg in the flat to Owen Daniels who had only one man between him and the end zone. Of course, there was also no one behind Daniels. That man was Richard Sherman, and Schaub soft tossed that poo poo

lol

The fans around me had been giving these two Seahawks fans grief the entire game to that point. No more after that. Kareem Jackson would go on to do a loving suplex on I can't remember who

e: here's a collection. I had forgotten the exact details of the Seahawks play, it was an even worse pass than I thought but it was under pressure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ABT_3Pon8

I was at that game too. From what I recall the Texans were still in a good position to win until Kareem went WWE on some poor rear end in a top hat though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Jets just traded Jamal Adams to the Seahawks for two firsts, a third and a player

This is a good time to remind everyone that D-Hop was traded for a second rounder and David Johnson

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Surprised the Jets turned down BOB's offer of 3 firsts and 3 seconds

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

JT Jag posted:

This is a good time to remind everyone that D-Hop was traded for a second rounder and David Johnson

lol

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

JT Jag posted:

Jets just traded Jamal Adams to the Seahawks for two firsts, a third and a player

I hope you are not disparaging AFC South Champions GM BoB?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Trade return is one of the areas the Jags can poo poo on the Texans for. Compare the return for Ramsey to the return for Nuk with the two occupying similar spheres for their positions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Clowney soon