Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He needs to add a leg kick. Unless he has a leg kick, in which case he needs to stop it. And his hands, they are either too high or too low, and he's not getting the barrel of the bat out in front of the ball because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

He needs to add a leg kick. Unless he has a leg kick, in which case he needs to stop it. And his hands, they are either too high or too low, and he's not getting the barrel of the bat out in front of the ball because of it.

Could be that he's just not seeing the ball out of the pitcher's hand.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

The netting is just something so completely obvious, it's hard to understand why it took so long to become a thing
don’t tell the baseball cranks, but it just wasn’t as big an issue back in the day because pitchers didn’t throw as hard and hitters didn’t swing as hard

Also foul territory tended to be larger

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

don’t tell the baseball cranks, but it just wasn’t as big an issue back in the day because pitchers didn’t throw as hard and hitters didn’t swing as hard

Also no WOMEN at the game STARIGN AT THEIR PHONES

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/danhayesmlb/status/1686055067353333769

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

This had never occurred to me but now I'll never stop seeing it. I remember watching games growing up, and foul territory was often just simply enormous. Like 50 feet from third base to the dugout.

I guess that shrinkage gets more seats closer to the action, which is why it happened.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mcmagic posted:

You notice the foul netting about as much as you notice the shift being banned (not at all)

Hey I saw Joey Gallo dribble a single up the middle on Friday.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mdemone posted:

This had never occurred to me but now I'll never stop seeing it. I remember watching games growing up, and foul territory was often just simply enormous. Like 50 feet from third base to the dugout.

I guess that shrinkage gets more seats closer to the action, which is why it happened.

A lot more ballparks used to be concrete toilet bowl "multi-use" stadiums that were OK for football, kinda OK for concerts, and awful for baseball.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

more falafel please posted:

Hey I saw Joey Gallo dribble a single up the middle on Friday.

A ball up the middle that isn't stopped by the pitcher should always be a hit. it's un-American to think otherwise

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can we just loving get rid of pitcher wins as a stat and replace them with quality starts or indeed any metric that is indicative of anything at all

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mdemone posted:

A ball up the middle that isn't stopped by the pitcher should always be a hit. it's un-American to think otherwise

I'm just saying, the shift ban is very noticeable when Gallo gets a ground ball base hit.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A lot more ballparks used to be concrete toilet bowl "multi-use" stadiums that were OK for football, kinda OK for concerts, and awful for baseball.

are there any baseball stadiums left that are also used for football? (I don't really know what stadiums have been built in the last 20 years but I know they used to have to play football games on the dirt infield in at least three cities)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

Can we just loving get rid of pitcher wins as a stat and replace them with quality starts or indeed any metric that is indicative of anything at all

I think the boomers are losing their control of the baseball beats so maybe in the next 10 years

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm just saying, the shift ban is very noticeable when Gallo gets a ground ball base hit.

well good for that young man. it probably helped his confidence.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mdemone posted:

are there any baseball stadiums left that are also used for football? (I don't really know what stadiums have been built in the last 20 years but I know they used to have to play football games on the dirt infield in at least three cities)
No there are no more joint facilities thankfully

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

mdemone posted:

I think Oakland was the last one.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

Also no WOMEN at the game STARIGN AT THEIR PHONES

My first time ever visiting Minute Maid (then Enron Field circa 2001), some lady wasn't paying attention and got obliterated by a foul ball and had to be taken for medical care. You gotta pay attention if you want to sit close.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Blind Pineapple posted:

I think Oakland was the last one.

Yeah that was the one I had in mind

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

No there are no more joint facilities thankfully

god RFK was a nightmare.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Poque posted:

god RFK was a nightmare.

I watched an MLS game there once.

maybe not for baseball but for football it seems like it was probably a cool stadium to be full of fans with

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Forrest on Fire posted:

He's an amazing defender who is probably due for positive regression.

I'm thrilled the DBacks turned him into Moreno and Gurriel.

His xwoba is. 294 just like last year. He's a dogshit hitter.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like it was a bad trade to get a league average bat all world defensive CORNER OUTFIELDER.

Now that he hits like a New York Yankee it's even worse!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Poque posted:

god RFK was a nightmare.

You should see RFK Jr

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zoux posted:

You should see RFK Jr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UdsVO7HaJg

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Like it was a bad trade to get a league average bat all world defensive CORNER OUTFIELDER.

Now that he hits like a New York Yankee it's even worse!!!!

Oh no he's fantastic, the only reason he isn't their franchise centerpiece is because they already have so many elite lefty outfielders such as Jake McCarthy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/1686097231290478592

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

zoux posted:

It's indicative of one thing -- namely that a top notch pitcher, which Gray objectively has been this year, can only do so much without support.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Edit: beaten

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

You should see RFK Jr

:popeye:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

https://twitter.com/SamMillerBB/status/425867764876599296?lang=en

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Civale's numbers look kinda sus

traded for a guy ranked pretty closely to Kjerstad... I want pitching but not that much

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 31, 2023

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I can't wait for what sort of lame attempt at a bullpen arm Jed slaps together in a desperate attempt to shore up the Cubs relief situation.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Bandire posted:

He hasn't touched my Tulsa Drillers Kevin Brown bobblehead sitting right next to Adrian, but Brown was always pretty unlikeable.

My fun Tulsa Drillers story is that I was at a game where they were playing the Cardinals AA squad and we were right behind the third base dugout. Their manager or one of their coaches knew some other old dudes in the row in front of us and intentionally got himself thrown out of the game for a laugh. It ruled and ever since I’ve tried to go to drillers games whenever they come to Springfield to the best of my ability

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jordan Hicks gonna wear #12, a somewhat newly available number since a sex pest had it unretired...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chas McCormick has a good chance of winning the AL player of the month award (slashed .351/.440/.688), which would be a devastating blow to Name Theory.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

AndrewP posted:

traded for a guy ranked pretty closely to Kjerstad... I want pitching but not that much

I agree and Civale is absolutely due for a regression at some point, but who the hell is gonna start for us? You have 3 kids already blowing past their innings from last year and the corpse of Noah Syndergaard in the rotation. I guess Xzavion Curry gets stretched out for the 5th starter role, but you’re still gonna need another starter to give the young guys a break.

Also, Naylor and Bell have first base/DH locked down through next year, so where exactly is this guy gonna play? I thought the plan was to trade Civale only for immediate offensive help, and Instead we get a guy having a down year in AAA? Maybe I’m just a bit skeptical because every trade we make with the Rays blows up on us but I just don’t get this one….

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Yeah well, if he has one good season let me recommend you not sign him to a 3 year 30mil contract on the strength of that one good season.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I wouldn't worry about Josh Bell blocking a prospect from playing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I wouldn't worry about Josh Bell blocking a prospect from playing.

playing the violin maybe!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1686104939397791744?s=20

:pray: