Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

optimistic Cowboy speculation based on nothing but hope.

Maybe he's still shooting the netflix series and the first makeup was right after his character is injured and today's makeup is after it healed up a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I think one of the journalists asked the fighters if they were scared of publicly supporting a union.

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/804075534850330624

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol, good luck

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/804076549347667970

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/804076990064185345

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Comrades Cowboy and Kennedy are leading the people into a bright future.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
WME-IMG may not have the reflexive hatred for unions that the Fertittas did, but considering how much they paid for it and their stated profit goals, I have to think they're going to fight this tooth and nail. Going from 8% revenue to 50% is going to require an enormous increase in TV rights fees in 2018 to come close to keeping the rest of the pie the same size.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Uh. Most sports are not a 50-50 split

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Plus they also want a restitution settlement for all previous fighters in the UFC.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Something disastrous must have happened with Jeff Boris and the PFA. They said they had it all lined up and ready to go to make an announcement pre-205 and introduce a fighters board.... then, nothing. Then the lawyer quit, and we have this instead.

Either Bjorn and CAA came in and talked the fighters into going with them instead, or Jeff Boris did something stupid to piss the fighters off.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

fatherdog posted:

WME-IMG may not have the reflexive hatred for unions that the Fertittas did, but considering how much they paid for it and their stated profit goals, I have to think they're going to fight this tooth and nail. Going from 8% revenue to 50% is going to require an enormous increase in TV rights fees in 2018 to come close to keeping the rest of the pie the same size.

you are too smart to believe the 8% figure any more than schaub's 7% figure about a year ago

also https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/804078650635206656

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

you are too smart to believe the 8% figure any more than schaub's 7% figure about a year ago

also https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/804078650635206656

Well, yeah, but I don't believe it's anywhere near 50% either, and that money is gonna have to come from somewhere.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Le Saboteur posted:

Plus they also want a restitution settlement for all previous fighters in the UFC.

I'm laughing at it, but I don't think they are doing the wrong thing. In any negotiation you should usually ask for way more than you think you can get.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
MLB's revenue split is now sub 40% and has been steadily dropping for years.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rigel posted:

I'm laughing at it, but I don't think they are doing the wrong thing. In any negotiation you should usually ask for way more than you think you can get.

Yep, you reach for the stars and if you only get 75% of the way there, hey, you made out great.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/804079693255364611

Uhhh.... what? You just said you wanted a CBA similar to MLB.

Associations, legally speaking, are weak and next to worthless. They don't get CBA's, unions do, you dumbshit. Hopefully he's off the reservation and his lawyer will quietly educate him later, or this is a waste of time.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Rigel posted:

Associations, legally speaking, are weak and next to worthless. They don't get CBA's, unions do, you dumbshit. Hopefully he's off the reservation and his lawyer will quietly educate him later, or this is a waste of time.

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/804079534991671296

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Also an excellent dog murderer

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/804080354629976064

How are you going to strike without a union?

When you have a union, the UFC has to follow the rules of the NLRB and they are forced to bargain in good faith, etc.

Without a union, they can say "fine, don't fight. We have dozens of others willing to take your place", and this association will break.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
We are not a union, also we're going to go on strike.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

I mean, they are already aiming for a 300% increase in rights fees

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Rigel posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/804080354629976064

How are you going to strike without a union?

When you have a union, the UFC has to follow the rules of the NLRB and they are forced to bargain in good faith, etc.

Without a union, they can say "fine, don't fight. We have dozens of others willing to take your place", and this association will break.

I also love that Rebney was the one to pull out that card, seeing as he is not a fighter and has absolutely nothing to lose by doing this.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is an unmitigated disaster for the fighters. You want to be employees of a league, not independent contractors.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/804082747685949456

oh okay

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

"Should we go with the guy who has decades of experience extracting money from wealthy sports leagues worth billions and who has received the endorsement of all the major player associations, or should we go with Bjorn Rebney and this association?"

"Hmmm, tough decision. I don't trust this newcomer with the PFA and baseball's a dumb sport anyway. The MMAAA's shield logo is badass, lets go with the Bellator guy! Union, association, whatever, its probably the same thing to us!"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bjorn may have a bad rap from Bellator, but he's a great lawyer and union rep. He's really looking out for the little guys, from the bottom of his heart. Best promoter of all time. In fact, I bet if he had my dog somewhere right now, he wouldn't do anything bad to it, because he knows that dog is family to us and we'd be devestated. And Bjorn Rebney is a great guy, much better than Dana White.

Her name is Rosy, by the way. Here's a picture of my daughter hugging Rosy, look how happy they are. We love her. Sorry I'm not crying, just really miss my dog... from this hotel...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

:cripes:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The labor lawyer who quit PFA is warning these guys that if they try and collude to "strike" without forming a union, then THEY could actually be sued by the UFC for anti-trust violations.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 30, 2016

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I wish there was footage of the moment someone said "maybe we should get Bjorn Rebney"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Rigel posted:

The labor lawyer who quit PFA is warning these guys that if they try and collude to "strike" without forming a union, then THEY could actually be sued by the UFC for anti-trust violations.

Leave it to a labor organization founded in part by Tim Kennedy to have a really atrocious understanding of the fundamentals of striking

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bluedeanie posted:

Leave it to a labor organization founded in part by Tim Kennedy to have a really atrocious understanding of the fundamentals of striking

:drat:

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I wish there was footage of the moment someone said "maybe we should get Bjorn Rebney"

I wish someone had footage of Dana when he hears "tim kennedy, tj dillashaw, cain, and a one eyed donald cerrone are thinking about going on strike"

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bluedeanie posted:

:golfclap:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Did Rebney really say he gave 53% of revenue to fighters when he was with Bellator because :laffo:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Bluedeanie posted:

:thurman:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

-Atom- posted:

I mean, they are already aiming for a 300% increase in rights fees

They are negotiating from an unreasonable high to get what they want. Art of the Deal baby. Dana should know.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CortezFantastic posted:

They are negotiating from an unreasonable high to get what they want. Art of the Deal baby. Dana should know.

PLUS they are relinquishing the option of doing their own production

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The only thing the MMAAA could legally do is try to sue the UFC on behalf of all fighters for..... reasons and such. Which they will obviously lose. They can't strike, if they try and ask the UFC to bargain a CBA, the UFC will tell them to gently caress off. Which leaves them with yelling "we're angry, pay us more! Please?"

The organization would then be discredited, fighters will say "gently caress this, shits not working", quit the MMAAA to avoid retaliation, and they'll be set back another several years until they wake up and realize that our labor laws only empower legally recognized unions to force a negotiation with employers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Why is Tim Kennedy involved? I thought if you were left in tremendous distress by combat for little fiscal reward you were supposed to suck it up and stop being a pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm picturing this conversation a few weeks from now when they hire a labor lawyer for a consultation.

Lawyer: So you are not forming a union?

5 fighters: Yep, we talked about it with Bjorn who used to run Bellator, and we like free agency and threatening to go to Bellator. By the way, how do we get the UFC to the bargaining table, we have a list of demands after they sold for $4B with a new TV deal coming up.

Lawyer: You don't. The UFC can ignore you.

5 fighters: Huh? Wait, Baseball and Football have to negotiate with their players, why doesn't the UFC have to listen to us when we get together?

Lawyer: They are unions recognized and certified by the NLRB. You are a group of dumb angry fighters who have no special protections aside from whats in your contract. The UFC can cut all of you tomorrow.

5 fighters: Hey Bjorn, why the gently caress did you tell us not to form a union?

• Locked thread