Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

This recent subdiscussion leads me to believe a lot of y'all have never had bun bo hue.

edit, I mean, don't get me wrong, I love me some pho dac biet with some nuoc beo. It's something I crave a lot, but as far as asian, nay, vietnamese noodle soups to get a food boner over, it's pretty low on my list.

I love all the Vietnamese noodle soups, but agreed: bun bo hue is the best. Especially bun bo hue in a tiny strip mall in Winchester, CA where the guy asks three times if you're really sure you want everything in there? You know there's pork blood cubes, and pork foot, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Spicy noodle soups do in fact own. But the magical thing about phở for me is that I think I've had more good bowls of phở than bad. Which doesn't sound like much, but I've definitely eaten at more bad burger joints than good. More bad pizza places. Sandwich shops aren't quite as bad but skew toward boring, lame, whatever. And I'm pretty sure I'd have to find nothing but really spectacular sushi places from here on out for my lifetime average to get to where my luck with phở shops has been. And so on.

Maybe I've been lucky or maybe my palate for Asian soups isn't refined enough to know I've actually been getting bad phở or whatever. But I can't think of another general dish/cuisine/whatever that I've had a better batting average with.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Best smells for me are either:

A: A big pot of steamed mussels with lemon butter garlic and parsley or
B: A nice beef borguignon and fresh baked bread going along in the oven for it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

there's a simplicity to pho that adds to the appeal, I think. no whiz-bang, just a lot of time, care, and experience going into making a lightly-spiced, perfectly clear beef broth with just enough body. it's the kind of thing a bunch of marketing suits and food scientists trying to focus group up a new thing could never make in a million years

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Elizabethan Error posted:

thanks ee cummings

.y

w;

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

__________It is difficult
to write good modern poems
__________yet men try miserably every day
___________________for lack
of good vb code

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Yo, dino., your carrot stir-fry recipe that I love so much also works extremely well with kale, especially if the pan is hot enough to slightly brown some of the leaves. (Last night I made chana masala, turmeric-cumin roasted cauliflower with garlic yoghurt dressing, the kale (with cauliflower leaves added), and brown rice. Delicious.).

I swear, I check in periodically to see what new things you've done with that. XD You did not disappoint! It does work with cabbage too, sans the lemon. The lemon would make it weird. And also less salt.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Hey dino, would you mind linking your book? I'm now dating a vegan, so I finally have an excuse to buy it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm not Dino, but:

https://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/0977080420

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Get dinos book (I did, and I'm not a vegan or even know one - I was more interested in vegetarian southern Indian food).
But also look at ppk http://www.theppk.com/recipes/ and some stuff from herbivoracious are also good http://herbivoracious.com/

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 23, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I'm not Dino, but:

drat right youre not

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

drat right youre not

Get back on your meds, GrAviTy84

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 24, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Went to DC this past weekend for the Science March, which was a rainy, cold, wet, miserable experience. Some cool signs, though.

Best part of the trip was dinner on Friday night at this place called Compass Rose. They don't take reservations so when we showed up they said "Three hour wait, IF we can get you in before the kitchen closes" so we went across the street to a burger/pizza place to drown our sorrows at the bar. Turns out we ended up getting in, and boy am I glad we did. The food was excellent...it was a hodgepodge of cuisines. Pan con tomate, a ramen special (Malaysian I believe?), asparagus toast, smorrebrod, grilled calamari, khachapuri (the surprise winner of the night), lamb kofta, and maybe some other stuff that I forgot about while we stuffed our faces. The only thing we didn't get that I missed out on were the grilled duck hearts.

Surprisingly reasonable, too...four of us dining, a few beers and a bottle of wine, and it came out to $75/couple before gratuity. I'd go back there in a second.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Place looks pretentious as all hell, and that's even by DC standards. Combining calling yourself a "tavern" and structured "seatings" and having a "it's ready when it's ready" policy, all at the same time, is the height of conceit.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 25, 2017

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Place looks pretentious as all hell, and that's even by DC standards. Combining calling yourself a "tavern" and structured "seatings" and having a "it's ready when it's ready" policy, all at the same time, is the height of conceit.

Then again, according to their webpage the "structured seatings" (which do require reservation) and the "it's ready when it's ready" policy (no reservation) are for different parts of the restaurant (their African tent private dining and tavern/main room respectively). Not saying that having a Bedouin tent in your patio doesn't look pretentious though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That restaurant is basically Columbusing: The Menu.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
My ~*~HUSBAND~*~ & are starting the house-hunting process and obviously the most important thing to me is the kitchen, specifically the stove. I remember reading somewhere that you can't use cast iron on induction because it'll scratch the poo poo out of the glass top of any induction stove, or maybe some other reason, but I can't remember where I read that and google turns up nothing. Can someone confirm / deny / explain?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nicol Bolas posted:

My ~*~HUSBAND~*~ & are starting the house-hunting process and obviously the most important thing to me is the kitchen, specifically the stove. I remember reading somewhere that you can't use cast iron on induction because it'll scratch the poo poo out of the glass top of any induction stove, or maybe some other reason, but I can't remember where I read that and google turns up nothing. Can someone confirm / deny / explain?

You can use cast iron on induction, it actually works great. But if you're not careful, you will scratch or bust the glass. You just need to use a lot of care. The glass is fairly robust in modern stovetops, but a 6-12 pound cast iron pan falling on it will destroy it.

So, long story short, you can use cast on glass, just be super careful.

\/\/Yeah, that too. \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 26, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gas is the best if available imo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
An oven is a drop in the bucket compared to the price of a house. Don't make your house-buying decisions based on the ovens they have.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Anne Whateley posted:

An oven is a drop in the bucket compared to the price of a house. Don't make your house-buying decisions based on the ovens they have.

Emphatically this.

Based on my and my group of peers homebuying experience(s), one should be building in a 7-15k first year cash buffer in addition to your downpayment for "hey, that didn't turn up in the inspection" and/or "hey, I didn't even know that could even break" type stuff.

gently caress replacing a stove, that would cost you like $600-1000. $2000 maybe, if you got a fancy new stove and had to have a gas line run. Definitely not cheap, but should definitely not be anything to base a home buying decision on...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 26, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Houses are expensive. =(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Still better than boats.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I thought I wanted to own a house so I could stop renting and dealing with lovely bottom end appliances and vent hoods that don't even vent outside. Turns out I just wanted to get an LLC and rent commissary space from time to time when I wanted to do stupid things.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Gas is the best if available imo.

Definitely, precise temperature control has to have gas. I use induction only because my flat doesn't have any gas and gently caress electric stovetops.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Theophany posted:

precise temperature control has to have gas.

definitely not. Gas is great and relatively cheap and works for all kinds of cookware and all but if you're going for precision, induction with a pid is going to obliterate gas every time. It's literally like converting an immersion circulator into a pot/pan.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

For induction is there a recommendation on a good pot/ pan set?

I'm all set on my most frequent use stuff, but after the wife and I move again we need to ditch some really old full-teflon coated saucepan/stockpot etc combo stuff that's all gross and beat to hell. I was gonna just go with one of the cheaper tri-ply sets off of Amazon but I'd like to think about getting induction compatible stuff for the future unless it's way out of our price range for a while.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Right now I have a craigslist oven that is off by about 40 degrees and doesn't heat evenly.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

definitely not. Gas is great and relatively cheap and works for all kinds of cookware and all but if you're going for precision, induction with a pid is going to obliterate gas every time. It's literally like converting an immersion circulator into a pot/pan.

What ever happened to that PID controlled knob turner?

My mobile, a bit old, induction top with cast iron will have about a 100 degree range when I set it to a specific temp.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Oh, sure, and I am 100% on board with what everyone else is saying, including the having savings thing (we aren't throwing everything into the down payment)--I just know that I use my cast iron more than every other pan in my house. And obviously I'd prefer gas stove! But it's good to know that I should probably stop obsessing over the stove. Unless it's electric. I'll tear that fucker out of the wall with my bare hands.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

We just bought a fancy induction range and I use my cast iron on it all the time. Just don't bang it down onto the surface like an ape or scrub it around a whole bunch and it'll be fine.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nicol Bolas posted:

it's good to know that I should probably stop obsessing over the stove. I'll tear that fucker out of the wall with my bare hands.

that's the (homeowner) spirit!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GrAviTy84 posted:

Really? I notice my induction hob 'pulses' unless it's at full chat, so you get bursts of heat followed by a drop in temperature. Maybe my hob is garbage, but it just ain't precise unless you're getting poo poo ripping hot, in which case you don't need to be precise at all.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Theophany posted:

Really? I notice my induction hob 'pulses' unless it's at full chat, so you get bursts of heat followed by a drop in temperature. Maybe my hob is garbage, but it just ain't precise unless you're getting poo poo ripping hot, in which case you don't need to be precise at all.
That's how pretty much any active temperature control system works. I mean your hob may indeed be poo poo, but duty cycling is literally how most laboratory-grade temperature control systems work. It's pretty much the only way they can work. You can have better or worse stability depending on the control logic---anything from a dumb thermostat to an arbitrarily complex PID---but they're all going to work by cycling the heat source on and off to maintain a target temperature. The other (main) alternative is a system like a gas hob, which supplies a constant output regardless of load, current temperature, or whatever, and that's going to be all over the place unless whatever you have on it happens to be in thermal equilibrium with the output level you currently have the hob set at.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

TheJeffers posted:

We just bought a fancy induction range and I use my cast iron on it all the time. Just don't bang it down onto the surface like an ape or scrub it around a whole bunch and it'll be fine.

Corollary to this - make sure the bottom of you cast iron pans are smooth, and don't have any burrs or rough bits. I had some very old cast iron pans, and found one of them was lightly scratching the surface of my glass-top stove because there was a rough bit on the bottom - I sanded it down and then it was fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MiddleOne posted:

Still better than boats.

God, a couple of friends wanted me to go in on a boat with them. My immediate reaction was, "That sounds like a perfect way for me to lose fifteen grand and ruin some friendships."

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Here is a cool article about "the Martha Stewart of edibles" (marijuana)
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/the-martha-stewart-of-marijuana-edibles

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I made coconut milk custard tonight as a trial to see if it'd be something I could eat after jaw surgery. It turned out quite well. My cat is into it, too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

cats_are_obligate_carnivores.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Ferdinand, a Good Catte who once graced us by living with us, loved cheese, both regular and Norwegian brown cheese (geitost/gjetost).