Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dphi posted:

Hair of the Dog, Cascade Barrel House, Upright, The Commons, and Deschutes are all worth visiting.

I agree 100% on all of these and would add that they are all relatively close together. You could do all of the above in a single day just by walking and using public transit. Plus, you would be close to great beer bars like Apex, Bailey's Taproom, and Beermongers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I agree 100% on all of these and would add that they are all relatively close together. You could do all of the above in a single day just by walking and using public transit. Plus, you would be close to great beer bars like Apex, Bailey's Taproom, and Beermongers.

This and the above are basically what I did during my free days in Portland. I was also told to fill growlers, I think at http://growler-station.com/tinbucket/, but I never made it.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Tin Bucket is great, I'd also recommend checking out Imperial Bottle Shop. They counter-pressure fill and cap 16oz bottles to go which is nice if you don't want a full growler of something of if it's something they don't sell growlers of, like Notorious.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

And if all that isn't enough, how about a nice side trip to Bend? :v:

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
cKBSs: finally got to taste it at Buffalo Wild Wings downtown. Better this year than last, opens up to an incredible coffee caramel bourbon bomb when it warms up. Try it if you get a chance.

Currently drinking at Brewery Vivant, I think this place and I are soulmates. Love the vibe, and they have really upped the game on their brews in the last year.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Denver goons, you should try and swing by River North for some of their brett wine-barrel aged J Marie farmhouse ale. Had some yesterday and it is goooood. I'm not sure how much of it was produced/how long it will last but worth checking out. They also had a whiskey barrel, non-brett version but I had to drive and two strong beers would have been a bad decision.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
thanks for the L.A. tips! he's also set on hitting up the Bruery, so anything else good along the way or in that area would be cool, too. thanks!

VVV awesome, i'll pass that along

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 21, 2014

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

funkybottoms posted:

thanks for the L.A. tips! he's also set on hitting up the Bruery, so anything else good along the way or in that area would be cool, too. thanks!

There's an insanely good bottle shop right up the road from the Bruery that Zam directed me to when I was there - Mr. K's. It "looks like a poo poo liquor store," but actually has a really impressive selection. Other than that, the Bruery is kind of in a wasteland - he could always go a bit further south to start hitting stuff closer to the San Diego area. Lost Abbey (and Stone) come to mind there.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

Bootlegger's Brewery and Noble are located fairly closely to the Bruery and are definitely worth a visit; the former has been fading somewhat recently but the latter recently changed their brewmaster and have been getting a lot of well-deserved hype for their single hop IPA "Showers" series. I'd also check out Smog City since it's somewhat on the way there. Beachwood is also making waves with their stuff but they're a little out of the way to the Bruery.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

funkybottoms posted:

Out of the Park Pizza is nearby and they often have pretty solid taps. Bottle Logic brewing is right near The Bruery and is worth a visit. I'd say skip Bootleggers and visit Noble instead if interested in heading a little further south.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hacienda Beverage in Brea is a pretty good bottle shop in the same areas as the breweries, we have been taking about.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

dphi posted:

Tin Bucket is great, I'd also recommend checking out Imperial Bottle Shop. They counter-pressure fill and cap 16oz bottles to go which is nice if you don't want a full growler of something of if it's something they don't sell growlers of, like Notorious.

What's the best bottle shop for local bottles and cans?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
De Cam's Oude Lambiek. Any thoughts? Price point is literally twice of 3F Oude Gueuze. I doubt it's twice as good but....

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

De Cam's Oude Lambiek. Any thoughts? Price point is literally twice of 3F Oude Gueuze. I doubt it's twice as good but....

I have one, don't know when I'm going to open it though. Love me a good gueuze, so I couldn't pass it up. I have seen it on a few shelves recently, so if you're having second thoughts, it'll probably be there later.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

If you are just looking for a wide-selection of year-round releases, Belmont Station is probably your best bet. They also get a lot of limited release beers, but they get so much business that many of those sell out really quickly. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't been there before.

I've also had really good luck finding random cool local things at both Bailey's Taproom and Cheese Bar.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Probably Belmont Station

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

if you're a 3F fan, then no, it's not twice as good. it's a fine beer and i'd say buy one of you're curious, but i'd be surprised if you felt the need to go back and clear out the shelf. i happen to like it more than 3F, but i wouldn't pay twice what i'd pay for Girardin or Tilquin.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Docjowles posted:

Denver goons, you should try and swing by River North for some of their brett wine-barrel aged J Marie farmhouse ale. Had some yesterday and it is goooood. I'm not sure how much of it was produced/how long it will last but worth checking out. They also had a whiskey barrel, non-brett version but I had to drive and two strong beers would have been a bad decision.

I was advocating a RiNo crawl for this Monday with some friends but it appears we are going to do Boulder or at least just sit at Avery for a while instead. Dang it! Maybe I'll swing by there later in the week.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

if you're a 3F fan, then no, it's not twice as good. it's a fine beer and i'd say buy one of you're curious, but i'd be surprised if you felt the need to go back and clear out the shelf. i happen to like it more than 3F, but i wouldn't pay twice what i'd pay for Girardin or Tilquin.

Thanks. $39 seems too pricey for me.

I did splurge on a bottle of Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Brandy Barrel). Now I need an occasion to open...

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I finally had BFM √225 after seeing it on tap everywhere and it's a pretty tasty saison. I think the aging in Bon Chien barrels does it for me. And speaking of Bon Chien, I saw bottles of it at Binny's South Loop a couple weeks ago and picked up the 2012. They also had several bottles of 2007 which, while tempting, wasn't something I was willing to gamble on at about $24/bottle.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Thanks. $39 seems too pricey for me.

oof.

Compusaurus posted:

I finally had BFM √225 after seeing it on tap everywhere and it's a pretty tasty saison. I think the aging in Bon Chien barrels does it for me. And speaking of Bon Chien, I saw bottles of it at Binny's South Loop a couple weeks ago and picked up the 2012. They also had several bottles of 2007 which, while tempting, wasn't something I was willing to gamble on at about $24/bottle.

Bon Chien ages pretty well, so that's not as much of a gamble as you might think. for whatever reason the distributor here had tons of 2006 and 2007, the former being something of a shelf turd up until very recently. 2008-11 are very scarce, though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Is that off for De Cam? It's at a Binny's, which usually doesn't gouge.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

That's about the price I've seen it at Beer Temple, so I don't think it's off.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

no idea as i've never seen it for sale; the bottles i've had were picked up in Europe by a friend. the only "shelf" lambics i've seen go that high are Lambickx and the 3F Schaerbeekse Kriek, but i guess that's not too crazy for something that's probably fairly limited...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Compusaurus posted:

2006 is a pass and I would imagine that 2007 is getting past it's prime too. 2006 was harsh and acidic and a few other goons agreed last time this was brought up. I'd be wary about buying a 2007 at this point as well.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Docjowles posted:

That's definitely a good beer, I think they made about 120 cases of it that they released back in January. I'm very excited that the white wine barrel J. Marie is coming back next weekend. For me, the last time they did that beer along with the B-side Avarice (Rye barrel aged) are the two best things they've made.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I bought a Duchess yesterday since the first time I had it was probably 6 years ago when I first was getting into beer. I didn't like it at all at the time and thought I'd never buy it again, I didn't even recognize any type of sourness, it was just weird. Almost after trying a thousand different beers I can now appreciate this beer.

I plan on going to Australia in the summer, I'm thinking maybe Melbourne but there are other areas I definitely want to visit so I'm open to looking at other places. Any goons there know the good spots to hit? I want to try some good Australian beers. I'm on the East coast and literally only have access to Fosters until this last year when we got in some Coopers, which are awful.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

If you are just looking for a wide-selection of year-round releases, Belmont Station is probably your best bet. They also get a lot of limited release beers, but they get so much business that many of those sell out really quickly. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't been there before.

I've also had really good luck finding random cool local things at both Bailey's Taproom and Cheese Bar.

dphi posted:

Probably Belmont Station

Cheers. Just wanting to bring back as many fresh IPAs as I can.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

So I really want to try these sour beers y'all are on about. Are there any good ones that have a decent distribution in the UK and that have a chance of being on the shelf of my local, pretty good, bottle shop? I believe Wild Beer do one?

Turns out they had a sour on keg at a local brewery's taphouse last night. Yeah, quite nice. Although I don't think I'll be drinking many in one night, I definitely want to explore the style more. Seems like last night's would have gone down great outside on a sunny day. It was Somerset Wild by Wild Beer Co., who are fast becoming one of my favourites.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Cheers. Just wanting to bring back as many fresh IPAs as I can.

Laurelwood Workhorse, Crux Half Hitch, Hop Valley Alpha Centauri, and Block 15 Sticky Hands (if there happens to be any around still) are all good ones to seek out. Fort George and Double Mountain have some good options as well.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Drank the growler of Keene Idea that Furious Lobster sent me. It was awesome. My friend had never had an Alpine IPA despite being knee deep in the trading game and from what I gathered he loved it as well. It's an excellent display of Nelson Sauvin's complexity.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Quick note for EBF people while I ride fhrough New Hampshire toward the holy land: Night Shift is bringing a Horchata Mexican Stout that I haven't seen on any lists yet. I got to try it straight from the barrel yesterday at the brewery. It's loving fantastic, be sure to get it (but leave some for me on Saturday).

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Are there any Boston folk who are not going g tonight that want to go to EBF? Ticket is free and no strings attached. Message me on Rate beer at HonusWagner.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dphi posted:

Laurelwood Workhorse, Crux Half Hitch, Hop Valley Alpha Centauri, and Block 15 Sticky Hands (if there happens to be any around still) are all good ones to seek out. Fort George and Double Mountain have some good options as well.

I would add Deschutes Fresh Squeezed and Hop Henge, Gigantic IPA, and Hopworks Urban Brewery IPA. If you can find Pfriem IPA or Boneyard RPM, Hop Venom, or Notorious on tap, definitely give those a try. I'm not a big fan of 10 Barrel's Apocalypse, but I really like their O.G. and Project Failed, a hoppy wheat and a hoppy red, respectively.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yesterday I took a chance on one of the 8,432 new local breweries with bottles on the shelf...

Lake Effect Brewing's 100% Brett Session Pale Ale is... weird. It almost comes off as a dry-hopped Berliner, but not as good as that may sound. The Brett is more tart than funk (so something other than Brux?) which definitely isn't what I expected. Either way, I'll finish this but probably not buy again. Thankfully, it was only $9 for the 750, but it only adds more question as to why suddenly there's hundreds of bottles of Chicago-based breweries on the shelf now. Hell, even Pipeworks is putting out so many beers there's no way I'd be able to keep up. I swear Binny's had 30 different PW bottles on the shelf yesterday.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

danbanana posted:

Yesterday I took a chance on one of the 8,432 new local breweries with bottles on the shelf...

Lake Effect Brewing's 100% Brett Session Pale Ale is... weird. It almost comes off as a dry-hopped Berliner, but not as good as that may sound. The Brett is more tart than funk (so something other than Brux?) which definitely isn't what I expected. Either way, I'll finish this but probably not buy again. Thankfully, it was only $9 for the 750, but it only adds more question as to why suddenly there's hundreds of bottles of Chicago-based breweries on the shelf now. Hell, even Pipeworks is putting out so many beers there's no way I'd be able to keep up. I swear Binny's had 30 different PW bottles on the shelf yesterday.

Yeah if you think you've got issues, I think the only way to remain sane with releases in CO, even just for shelf beers, is to sort of give up. Between my three regular shops, it's really just overload at this point.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Eejit posted:

Yeah if you think you've got issues, I think the only way to remain sane with releases in CO, even just for shelf beers, is to sort of give up. Between my three regular shops, it's really just overload at this point.

Well, I long ago realized that a lot of these places aren't going to be in business in a few years. The fact is that I'm someone who pays a LOT of attention to beer and I have no idea who a majority of these places are. What's Ubik's term? Super homebrews? Yeah. Good luck...

With that said, a few of us are out to visit Penrose tomorrow. When a new place opens that's run by someone as respected and knowledgeable as them, I'll go out of my way to try it.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Does anyone have access to a Firestone PNC? Trying to acquire one for a gift for someone.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Captain Duvel posted:

I plan on going to Australia in the summer, I'm thinking maybe Melbourne but there are other areas I definitely want to visit so I'm open to looking at other places. Any goons there know the good spots to hit? I want to try some good Australian beers. I'm on the East coast and literally only have access to Fosters until this last year when we got in some Coopers, which are awful.

We can definitely do better than fosters and coopers. The best two bars are Alehouse in Brunswick and The Local Taphouse in St Kilda. For a brewpub your basically looking at Mountain Goat in Richmond which is nice, and Boneyard Brewing is opening up in North Melbourne soon which will be sick. The only other place with a decent craft beer scene is Sydney, and a little bit in Perth but other goons might be able to help with that. When exactly are you coming? Melbourne's Good Beer Week is coming up, take a look at that and see if you'll be around for it, lots of awesome events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Well, I long ago realized that a lot of these places aren't going to be in business in a few years. The fact is that I'm someone who pays a LOT of attention to beer and I have no idea who a majority of these places are. What's Ubik's term? Super homebrews? Yeah. Good luck...

With that said, a few of us are out to visit Penrose tomorrow. When a new place opens that's run by someone as respected and knowledgeable as them, I'll go out of my way to try it.

I think Ubik's term was "homebrew plus". But "super homebrews" applies too.

loving hell, I think at some stores there's 30 different Pipeworks beers by themselves. There are so loving many that I've completely lost interest in everything but their 'hop showcase' series and their BA stuff, and even then the former are a hard sell unless it's a hop variety I don't know a whole lot about.