Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Funzo posted:

I decided to paint up one of those Wizkids unpainted D&D miniatures yesterday...

I know some people that swear they're "okay" but you have to simple green them to get all the goopy primer off to actually see wtf the miniature looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It was me what asked about the H&S. All the modelling folks I follow swear by the Infinity, but by the same token, they also get sponsorship deals. It's nice to know that it gets universal praise even without endorsements.

Any USians know of a good place to buy an Infinity that might too gut-wrenchingly expensive?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hixson posted:

Of course. They're a company advertising their own product, to make money. Bottom line is Contrast paint isn't out yet so nobody knows; but I'd be willing to bet that most primers will work just as good as an undercoat.

At least based on the YouTube videos I've seen there does seem to be a difference. I remember a few saying it was different, and I can't recall anyone saying that it didn't matter. I know that it will work with other primers, for example metallics.

The spray paint working in humid weather should be interesting.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I did get mine as a present, so bare that in mind when I say it's great. I can't tell you if its £200 great, just that I love it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

This was worth reading by the way. The green smoke on the skaven engineer was apparently one run of a contrast paint, the great tail blend was just base colour, put some medium down where you want the fade to be, then put the new colour down and fade it. It looks smooth. I liked as well that they pointed out contrast models don't look significantly different to ones painted regularly, so you could use it for regular troops but still go old school on characters.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think this is the most fun I've had painting a base:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Mate that looks great

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jst0rm posted:

hey guys im just getting back into this hobby and have been watching lots of youtube videos. Really incredible stuff out there but this one guy I happened upon is another level beyond anything I have ever realized is possible. His channel is only like 2 months old and not many views but check out this white scars pain job... He also has videos about his modifications. These are long videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRmgxsEuEYk

and this chaos lord...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vDiP3bZmoM

that base. look at it.

apology if its been posted before.

I ran into this channel a few days ago, the guy does great stuff

I hope he does something that's not some type of space marine next, I'd love to see his take on Orks

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

It was me what asked about the H&S. All the modelling folks I follow swear by the Infinity, but by the same token, they also get sponsorship deals. It's nice to know that it gets universal praise even without endorsements.

Any USians know of a good place to buy an Infinity that might too gut-wrenchingly expensive?

For some reason, H&S tends to cost a bit more than their Iwata/japanese counterparts in the states. You may want to consider looking into those brands too.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

grassy gnoll posted:

I got a refurbished one from spraygunner.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
We'll see once things reach the shelves, but if regular primers don't work, I imagine that a light spray of satin varnish over the primer will do the job nicely. Of course, the GW primer will be simpler, but I hate using a rattlecan primer. I'd much rather use an airbrush.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Take 2 at Contrast Vs Tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttd7FS5DHvI

I think this would be great for getting concrete.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Contrast Black is already "unavailable" on the UK GW store. Guess this stuff might be hard to come by for a while.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
From reddit, poster said this took him 30 minutes with Contrast paints, and some decent brush control

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

The Jumpoff posted:

From reddit, poster said this took him 30 minutes with Contrast paints, and some decent brush control

Shut the front door.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I can't believe how good you guys are at painting. The stuff you've posted in the past few pages is so great. I need to up my brush game and catch up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Marzipan Pig posted:

I can't believe how good you guys are at painting. The stuff you've posted in the past few pages is so great. I need to up my brush game and catch up.

Just paint. It's a skill like any other.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Jumpoff posted:

gently caress. Yes.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Yeah, if the description is accurate, yellow and red won't be the huge PITA they are now. Which would be awesome if Contrast worked on vehicles like it does on infantry.

I personally really hope Contrast is a huge success and they expand the range, but i'm struggling to think of how i would use it. Most of my models are already primed so i'd either have to strip them and reprime or take a gamble on how Contrast works on normal primer (does anyone have a vid showing this actually?)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Jumpoff posted:

Yeah, if the description is accurate, yellow and red won't be the huge PITA they are now. Which would be awesome if Contrast worked on vehicles like it does on infantry.

I personally really hope Contrast is a huge success and they expand the range, but i'm struggling to think of how i would use it. Most of my models are already primed so i'd either have to strip them and reprime or take a gamble on how Contrast works on normal primer (does anyone have a vid showing this actually?)

By all accounts it works pretty well. You could also just spray over with the new primer if necessary; it's not all that thick.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

The Jumpoff posted:

The big empty surfaces still look pretty bad imo. I've not seen a non-organic model that looked good so far. Contrasts strengths really seem to play into the last couple of years of GW design that calls for as much detail as possible on every single surface.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TTerrible posted:

The big empty surfaces still look pretty bad imo. I've not seen a non-organic model that looked good so far. Contrasts strengths really seem to play into the last couple of years of GW design that calls for as much detail as possible on every single surface.

Apparently you can get better results by thinning it with the Contrast Medium. I want to see how it looks airbrushed; over the flat surfaces I bet a smooth glaze effect would be fine.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently you can get better results by thinning it with the Contrast Medium. I want to see how it looks airbrushed; over the flat surfaces I bet a smooth glaze effect would be fine.

Probably, but at that point the price premium of contrast doesn't make sense. May as well just use any other glaze/ink/whatever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TTerrible posted:

Probably, but at that point the price premium of contrast doesn't make sense. May as well just use any other glaze/ink/whatever.

It makes sense if the end result matches the rest of the army. My point was that it might be feasible to airbrush the Contrast paint over flat surfaces to avoid the pooling effect.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've seen it done with an airbrush and it's exactly like airbrushing inks.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It makes sense if the end result matches the rest of the army. My point was that it might be feasible to airbrush the Contrast paint over flat surfaces to avoid the pooling effect.

If you're hellbent on using contrast for infantry then yeah a colour match across your vehicles is a good thing. Your vehicles will look noticeably different though as you're not getting the dipped look and will have to go for stark edge highlights instead.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TTerrible posted:

If you're hellbent on using contrast for infantry then yeah a colour match across your vehicles is a good thing. Your vehicles will look noticeably different though as you're not getting the dipped look and will have to go for stark edge highlights instead.

I was thinking a pin wash might help, but you're right about the edge highlighting. It looks like all the really nice results and examples followed up with highlighting and some traditional brushwork.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Skeleton Bone or whatever Contrast color it was in that dinosaur video looked fantastic, I'd really like to try it out and see it on some skeletons

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ministomp is selling the 35 pot Contrast set for $220 and says that's a $65 discount.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I've been playing with some contrasts from the UK games expo. They're interesting paints, definitely great for quickly painting things with lots of niggly details such as the chest eagles but are not great for flat surfaces.

When you thin then with water they get... Weird. A bit more like a shade but wants to run into edges and creases even more. Could be good for necrons if you use the super bright green and then paint over the panels normally after.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Marzipan Pig posted:

Just have fun. And only ever compare your current painting job to a painting job you did like 5 to 10 minis ago.

If you stress to much about getting better you will probably stop painting. A good approach would be to focus on a technique, that way if it messes up, your brain won't say you are bad, it will say hey I'm awesome I am defining what works and what doesn't.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was thinking a pin wash might help, but you're right about the edge highlighting. It looks like all the really nice results and examples followed up with highlighting and some traditional brushwork.

I think it'll be fine if you just use contrast as a base across _everything_ and use traditional methods over the top. You'll get a matching style on infantry and vehicles - but at that point what time are you saving? May as well do things the old fashioned way in the first place.

It'll be great for new painters and for a select few things like faces, a starting point for heavily organic minis etc. It has a very distinct look like dipped armies that I'm not a huge fan of personally but that isn''t exactly objective.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Finally got the stones to try decal application, after finding out about microset/sol. First I applied em to my recent Kill Team

Still some edge highlighting to be done, but really pleased with the result after a few coats of Microsol

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Microsol and Microset are basically magic.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, they're great. They take a little longer than doing it all with water, but the difference is pretty huge, especially on something round like power armour shoulders.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Marzipan Pig posted:

brushes sharpen brushes.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtoRXq_noJg
Bones minis definitely need primer for contrast paints

I ordered a complete set along with the blood bowl pro elves and halflings. Might not get the until the end of the month.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I was afraid that was gonna be the case. Ah well. He got decent results after some Vallejo primer, so a few minutes with the airbrush should have 'em ready.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So any idea when the US preorder page for Contrast is gonna open up?

E: NM looks like it's up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mikey Purp posted:

So any idea when the US preorder page for Contrast is gonna open up?

E: NM looks like it's up

The North American stores always update with new preorders Saturday 1 PM EST / 10 AM PST, plus or minus... I’m going to say three minutes?