Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Sure would be a shame if EU4, perhaps the best grand strategy game of all time and a game long overdue for a sequel, got a sequel. There's plenty of interesting things to do with the formula and I'm interested to see where they go with it. We know there's a mapgame with a non-historical setting in development too, so I guess that's possible too.

this but march of the eagles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Youtube keeps recommending this one channel that is just a bunch of "Victoria III soon?" videos. It's safe to assume it's all wishful thinking, right?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
look in your heart and see if tells you if paradox wants to make an assload of money with eu5 or a piddling amount with Vicky 3

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Not sure how they likely it is they would announce EU5 while they have a studio actively working on new DLC for EU4, to the point they are coming up with new ideas for DLC as recently as this week (see Johan’s Twitter posts).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They also just launched that subscription service so there is no way they are taking away a big product for a clean slate

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The truth they don't want you to know is the ship that got stranded in the Suez Canal was actually on its way to Stockholm, full of copies of Vicky 3.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

They also just launched that subscription service so there is no way they are taking away a big product for a clean slate

they also just launched a subscription service for CK2 though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cease to Hope posted:

they also just launched a subscription service for CK2 though

At least CK3 has been out for a while. Though honestly I can’t image it’s to useful for CK2

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

At least CK3 has been out for a while. Though honestly I can’t image it’s to useful for CK2
If someone wants to try CK2 for a month they can do it for $5 this way? :shrug:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
On top of having a niche audience (although the same was said about CK2, which was announced after a failed campaign to get 25,000 fans to like their Facebook page if they wanted them to make it), Vicky's probably the toughest series to make a fun game out of, and has the most pitfalls for them to fall into in 2021 re: colonialism / slavery. They were already getting roasted in 2010 for things like their big empty Africa, but it was mostly from fans, not actual press, and Paradox was a lot smaller then.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Victoria 2 has seen a Renaissance of modding for the past year. If anything, I'd rather they improve the modding capabilities of Victoria 2

Sadly we'll be getting Victoria 3 so that's not happening.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I could believe the recent Victoria 3 murmurs are part of a sophisticated trolling campaign by Paradox.

Like they get a bunch of people talking about it then Johan shows up at some presser and goes “You know what I like? Trains. Railways were behind the engine of progress in the 19th century, a century that a lot of our biggest fans are very familiar with. Anyway we got a license to make Ticket to Ride for PC.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randallteal posted:

On top of having a niche audience (although the same was said about CK2, which was announced after a failed campaign to get 25,000 fans to like their Facebook page if they wanted them to make it), Vicky's probably the toughest series to make a fun game out of, and has the most pitfalls for them to fall into in 2021 re: colonialism / slavery. They were already getting roasted in 2010 for things like their big empty Africa, but it was mostly from fans, not actual press, and Paradox was a lot smaller then.

Johan himself probed me on the paradox forums for mocking Vicky 2's Africa back in the day. That basically makes me a vanguard hero.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Johan used to be oh-so-touchy and instantly reactive to any criticism :allears:
HoI3 release was a fun time.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

disjoe posted:

I could believe the recent Victoria 3 murmurs are part of a sophisticated trolling campaign by Paradox.

Like they get a bunch of people talking about it then Johan shows up at some presser and goes “You know what I like? Trains. Railways were behind the engine of progress in the 19th century, a century that a lot of our biggest fans are very familiar with. Anyway we got a license to make Ticket to Ride for PC.”

This but for Railroad Tycoon 4

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the reports of victoria 3 are all a clever misdirection to heighten the shock when paradox announces sengoku 2

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They're finally releasing that version of EU2 for DS.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jazerus posted:

the reports of victoria 3 are all a clever misdirection to heighten the shock when paradox announces sengoku 2
V3 will be preceeded by Meiji.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't just throw out an idea so beautiful that it can never exist in this vale of tears.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I will willingly live through 2020 again if it meant I could get Meiji: The Paradox Game as an actual game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This Twitter thread has some new ideas I thought would be great for EU5

https://twitter.com/j_marshak/status/1237551367595556866?s=19

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the difference between a forcelimit and an army cap

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gort posted:

What's the difference between a forcelimit and an army cap

I guess they mean that army numbers would be completely fixed rather than being a gentle suggestion that you please not go over a certain army size but if you have money you can just keep going

Ironically this is almost exactly what Imperator does, that suggestion would map almost exactly onto its levy system

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The levy/professional standing army/mercenary mechanics in Imperator would make perfect sense in the EU period tbh. Have countries start out relying on mercs and professional armies get better and better as tech improves, but be ruinously expensive.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
All the talk of V3 made me go back to V2, which I haven't touched in ages.

Started as USA for an easy relearning game and am getting trounced :lol:

Launched my Manifest Destiny war, but I kept getting invaded by the UK for New England despite multiple reloads, so I reloaded and bailed early on the war with just a couple states and then the UK left me be. Fine, I waited out my truce and invaded again and this time Spain intervened in the war and dropped 60 brigades in New England and :lol:

If I reload and try again it looks like it will takes ages to get enough influence to knock Mexico/Spain down off friendly. Is there any point? Can Spain just reincrease to friendly during the war and join again?

I don't ever remember this being a tough thing to pull off back in the day, so I assume I'm doing something wrong. :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCkofEYYB3g

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I still think it's weird how Hoi4 consistently has the most players of all the Paradox games, including CK3, and yet it seems to get the least amount of content. I guess there's just more opportunity to sell things to EU4 players or something.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dramicus posted:

I still think it's weird how Hoi4 consistently has the most players of all the Paradox games, including CK3, and yet it seems to get the least amount of content. I guess there's just more opportunity to sell things to EU4 players or something.

Its the mods

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

Its the mods

Sorry I wasn't clear, I totally understand why HoI4 is popular, I just don't know why Paradox isn't going all-in on content for it.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Because the content they would make for it, would not be as good as the mods.

Why do work for a cost, when someone else will do the work for free?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dramicus posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I totally understand why HoI4 is popular, I just don't know why Paradox isn't going all-in on content for it.

I think the HoI team is like five people all together.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It just seems like a strange business strategy where your most popular title has the fewest resources allocated to it. Then again, I'm no CEO.

Grevlek posted:

Because the content they would make for it, would not be as good as the mods.

Why do work for a cost, when someone else will do the work for free?

The mods might have better/more detailed focus trees, but the devs are far better equipped to add or update mechanics and other core features. Also, I generally trust the devs to have better balance than most mods.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

It just seems like a strange business strategy where your most popular title has the fewest resources allocated to it. Then again, I'm no CEO.

The mods might have better/more detailed focus trees, but the devs are far better equipped to add or update mechanics and other core features. Also, I generally trust the devs to have better balance than most mods.

One of the devs has posted here that one of the problems that they keep running into is that the people who are the most passionate about working on HoI tend to be the kind of far right fucknuts you don't want to work with.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Don Gato posted:

One of the devs has posted here that one of the problems that they keep running into is that the people who are the most passionate about working on HoI tend to be the kind of far right fucknuts you don't want to work with.

i need a job, put me in paradox

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Monopolies do not need to meet customer demand, in order to be profitable. The monopolist pricing model in Economics suggests a monopoly loses profitability, in exchange for more revenue or quantity of units shipped.

Paradox has no financial incentive to change how they are doing things, especially if HoI is indeed their most popular title.

It's dumb, and I fundamentally disagree with it, but it's basically the same thing that's going on with Magic cards right now. Companies are not concerned about meeting the needs of every player who wants to play the game, if they can fatten themselves on whales who will pay more than you will, for less quantity of goods.

Capitalism, am I right?!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like you kind of misunderstand a bit as more content is how HOI or really any game makes it’s money.

It’s not like pardox has a subscription service as a base

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like you kind of misunderstand a bit as more content is how HOI or really any game makes it’s money.

It’s not like pardox has a subscription service as a base

I understand mechanically how it works yes. They make something, and we buy it.

What I'm trying to illustrate, is that companies do not always have an incentive to meet customer demand. Beyond Econ 100, where supply meets demand, you start to learn about pricing in other styles of markets. Video games, at best, are not a perfectly competitive market, but rather monopolistic competition, since IP and copywright laws do not allow for two companies to release the same product.

While Paradox, or Wizards, or whomever, might receive more revenue producing more stuff, they are already at the profit maximizing production scale, for their chosen industrial organization pattern. Necessarily, producing more units causes the business to be less profitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEjcTLPtTIY

Also, I believe Paradox is absolutely moving into a subscription service model, so they would have even less incentive to produce new quantity of goods (DLC) if they can get monthly recurring revenue for, whatever their subscription service is going to offer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t think you quite understand no, once all the content is sold they make no money. This isn’t diminishing return, this is some money versus no money as once an expansion is sold once all the DLC is sold there is no more money to be made. Until you produce more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think you quite understand no, once all the content is sold they make no money. This isn’t diminishing return, this is some money versus no money as once an expansion is sold once all the DLC is sold there is no more money to be made. Until you produce more

From me, but another person can come along, who never purchased the game. They can then buy HOI4, and all the DLC, and Paradox did nothing to spur that sale.

If they make a new DLC, they can extract an additional 10~20 from me.

if they do nothing, and attract a new player, they can get 40+10x#dlc purchased.

*edit - you know how you do nothing and attract new players? mods.

also diminishing returns was not referenced. marginal revenue and marginal costs are the concerns here.

**edit - last thought, i'm not saying any of this is good. i'm saying that every single piece of economic literature regarding a monopoly, suggests that they maximize profits not by meeting customer demand, but by holding something back. it's not my opinion, it's adam smith's if you have a problem take it up with that dude

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 26, 2021