Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Yardbomb posted:

How bout naw. Upper management sucks rear end, but most of the people just working on the game were doing what they could with how dwindling much they were given.

Upper management weren't the ones that took ages to nerf Genji to a manageable state.

Upper management didn't change Mal'ganis' numbers by a few points.

Upper management didn't disregard pro and GM feedback over the past few years regarding many heroes.

It doesn't cost anything to ask your pros for feedback on changes such as XP changes, ammo removal, hero balance.

Upper management only cares about profitability, and it's up to the line employees to make the case that such and such action would be beneficial to the game.

Where's the marketing team? Where's the quick feedback to players and how we feel about certain heroes?

They're spending money on comics, and then a few months later shutting down the pro scene and cutting support by a major amount.

Looking at the dev team picture they took at Blizzcon, they had a ton of people. Even if half were purely art, there's still plenty of people that can make and test changes. Instead there are heroes that haven't seen much more than a bug fix in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

they never fixed tassadar. after how many years

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
I think what made hots fun for me was playing with goons. Now that all the good goons stopped playing, it's easier to say good riddance to all of you. Come play artifact or magic arena with tcjimbo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Twerkdad posted:

Reboot HotS as a Smash Bros. clone with Blizzard/Activision characters. I need to final smash Zavala as Thrall, plz Blizzard.

Just put Malthael or Tyrael in Ultimate or something, Reaper of Souls is on Switch.

ToastyPotato posted:

HotS wasn't making money for the money it was spending. They pretty much spelled it out. The real question is how do you gently caress up a microtransaction game based on some of the biggest IPs in PC gaming? How do you fail at a Moba as a professional game developer with some of the biggest IPs in gaming propping up the game itself, after other companies have already figured out what works and what doesn't?

Not making skins and whatnot is a good start, and boy does hots have that one down pat.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The game took guillotine when it should have taken taz'dingo

lol

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 14, 2018

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It’s a weird one. You’d think Blizzard would have infinity money after releasing World of Warcraft. Did it get chewed up by shareholders or what?

Or maybe the success of WoW kind of threw em for a loop. You gotta remember how terrible Diablo 3 was on release

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

matchmaking and brawls have been poo poo for a long time and ive not spent a single legit dollar on this game in almost a year but its still kinda sad that this game was at one point actually fun unlike Overwatch which was poo poo since day one.

i couldnt give a poo poo about any of the esport pros or whatever tho. get a real loving job

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

banned from Starbucks posted:

matchmaking and brawls have been poo poo for a long time and ive not spent a single legit dollar on this game in almost a year but its still kinda sad that this game was at one point actually fun unlike Overwatch which was poo poo since day one.

i couldnt give a poo poo about any of the esport pros or whatever tho. get a real loving job

If real estate agent is a job then pro gamer is a job

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
You know the game is in a bad state when I see 100+ new posts and instantly know there has been a cancellation or other negative announcement.

I would be happy to keep playing even if patches/heroes came out at half the current rate. Personally I think they release too many heroes anyway.

I don't think Hearthstone is anywhere near the juggernaut it was either. Its by no means a scientific way to judge, but the amount of posts in that thread after the recent expansion was way way down on previous expansions.

It's always been a risk that Blizzard's over-reliance on a small number of IPs/games would run out of steam. I think that's where we have arrived at, quite suddenly. Even Overwatch is bound to have been hit by the rise of Fortnite.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Schneider Inside Her posted:

It’s a weird one. You’d think Blizzard would have infinity money after releasing World of Warcraft. Did it get chewed up by shareholders or what?

Or maybe the success of WoW kind of threw em for a loop. You gotta remember how terrible Diablo 3 was on release

It's not like Blizzard released WoW and then stayed at the same size as they were at that time, sitting on giant piles of money. WoW is currently still a successful product that makes money but it's a long, long way from its glory days in terms of subscribers and the company is much larger than it was in 2003, with more infrastructure and employees to support and more shareholders to be beholden to.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I just want to know what the gently caress Blizzard is actually working on, because it isn't HotS, WoW, or Diablo Immortal. Remastered games don't take hundreds of developers.

I'm hesitant to say they are working on a BR game because they probably don't want to compete with their CoD game

Activision probably walked into the blizz office and slapped down a copy of CoD on the table and said "we rerelease this game every year and copy and paste the code and players still buy it in millions, do this to your games now"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
mods change thread title to pounded in the butt by blizzard

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
RIP HOTS I guess. The game was innovative as heck. Refreshing to not have hour long matches, not worry about denying creeps, less toxicity, not having to remember recipes. End of an era.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

I just want to know what the gently caress Blizzard is actually working on, because it isn't HotS, WoW, or Diablo Immortal. Remastered games don't take hundreds of developers.

This is the key thing. Their office is even less efficient than Dunder-Mifflin Scranton. I don't understand what all these people are supposed to be doing. I would have thought that currently HotS would have 10 or fewer people working on it - if its more (which it obviously is) then wtf are they all doing. If its less, why even announce that you are moving perhaps 5 or 6 staff. The same argument can probably be made for their other teams, Hearthstone is actually a technical mess of a game considering how popular it is.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I haven't played this game in months and months but watching hgc was fun and this is a remarkably hosed up move that should make every other blizzard esports player scramble to figure out a plan B if their short career (that's already extremely dependent on a ton of factors outside of their control) is cut even shorter out of nowhere.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 14, 2018

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

E2M2 posted:

RIP HOTS I guess. The game was innovative as heck. Refreshing to not have hour long matches, not worry about denying creeps, less toxicity, not having to remember recipes. End of an era.

yeah, it wasn't my moba of choice but there was some great design and it's a shame to see it go.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Even though I haven't played since about earlier this year this loving stung to read about. Played this game during alpha and have a lot of good memories, spent hundreds of dollars even as a poor person and no regrets.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish they'd just make the heroes free and go ham with the cosmetic stuff. They were so amazing at the alternate stuff. And having free heroes would incentivise people.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The economy is weird in HotS. I feel like the Heroes' gold prices are too high but I am sitting on 35k gold, having spent probably £50 on this game ever, and own every hero I want to own so I'm not quite sure why I'm complaining.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

blizzard right now feels like 2013 era games workshop, kinda floundering around and unsure of why anyone plays their games. lurching from bad idea to bad idea and stomping on the faces of the playerbase.

games workshop managed to pull out of their death dive and are in kind of a golden age right now so I guess that analogy is some reason for optimism, but it feels like a lot of the bad decisions at blizzard are coming down from the top and I don’t see how they break that shackle

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
HoTS did have some really baffling design decisions though. Like dropping Tracer and Genji into this game wholesale, at the time when most of the cast ran slowly with a sword, and refusing to nerf either substantially until like they've been out for almost a year.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'm hesitant to say they are working on a BR game because they probably don't want to compete with their CoD game

Activision probably walked into the blizz office and slapped down a copy of CoD on the table and said "we rerelease this game every year and copy and paste the code and players still buy it in millions, do this to your games now"

They are working on a new Diablo in some capacity, it's been restarted a couple times because they can't seem to decide how drastically to change it.

There were also some job postings for various game dev positions going earlier this year working on a new title that wanted people with experience with RPGs, levelling systems, FPS games and weapons design. So either some weird single player expansion for Overwatch or something utterly new is being made. Obviously it's blizzard so whatever it is might get shitcanned without ever being seen in 2 years.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It kind of feels like Titan hosed them up pretty substantially culture-wise. All we hear about it is “that’s how we got Overwatch!” like it was a blessing to have a game cancelled after that long. but it seems like activision had been pretty hands off before that and really started yanking the choke chain after.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

There were also some job postings for various game dev positions going earlier this year working on a new title that wanted people with experience with RPGs, levelling systems, FPS games and weapons design. So either some weird single player expansion for Overwatch or something utterly new is being made. Obviously it's blizzard so whatever it is might get shitcanned without ever being seen in 2 years.

I wonder if it was that diablo dark souls game that got canned

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the blizzard all stars they showed way back when looked cooler than what hots eventually became (and why the gently caress would you name it so the initialism is the same as your starcraft expansion) but i dunno what's funnier - blizzard loving up yet again or people thinking there was a future in this scene.

ToastyPotato posted:

I hope that at some point, another company takes a shot at a MOBA that takes the streamlined approach of HotS without the weird bad ideas that Blizzard constantly seems to have about things in their games these days.

same.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 14, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

blizzard right now feels like 2013 era games workshop, kinda floundering around and unsure of why anyone plays their games. lurching from bad idea to bad idea and stomping on the faces of the playerbase.

games workshop managed to pull out of their death dive and are in kind of a golden age right now so I guess that analogy is some reason for optimism, but it feels like a lot of the bad decisions at blizzard are coming down from the top and I don’t see how they break that shackle

GW stabilized by going all in on their most popular franchise and saying gently caress off to everything else (and rebranding their fantasy IP with stuff they could trademark) then putting all their stores on skeleton crews and shuttering the rest. I'm not sure what that would look like for Blizzard honestly since it feels like they are just running on steam and who knows what's coming.

I still play HOTS (it's easy to just play a 20 minute game and tune out) but Hearthstone has been getting less fun as the core gameplay feels stale while every expansion manages to have some bullshit which makes it aggravating while streamers I watch look like they are playing it less and less. I was bored and played the latest WOW expansion since they gave you a free max level and it was just ehh and the world felt totally empty of players; after a week I was done. Diablo is just the same exact season over and over.

Announcing they are moving developers to other projects just sounds weird considering it feels like they just having nothing going on. I'm not sure you would make an announcement like this without the intent to soften the eventual blow that X update is the last outside of maintenance.

Yeah the whole concept of last hits makes me not even want to bother with LoL. I like the casual moba philosophy so if this game really goes belly up I doubt I would jump anywhere.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 14, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there was another dota back in the old dota days called tides of blood that didn't have last hits. https://lanepushinggames.com/article/tides-of-blood-part-1

i was super excited for smite before it came out but then it turned out it was more like league and the skins are embarrassing as gently caress.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I enjoyed the third person and 3D aspect of Smite. Like the idea that you can physically stand in front of a ranged carry to protect your team and intercept their autoattacks is a really smart idea that didn't get used again until Overwatch did it, except better, with Reinhardt and their other tanks.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It kind of feels like Titan hosed them up pretty substantially culture-wise. All we hear about it is “that’s how we got Overwatch!” like it was a blessing to have a game cancelled after that long. but it seems like activision had been pretty hands off before that and really started yanking the choke chain after.

Isn't this a big reason why Metzen retired?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yeah I didn't really understand why Blizzard saw Titan and then Overwatch as a huge blunder, because regardless of the time spent developing Titan, what they got out of it is a resounding success. Overwatch is huge especially for a brand new IP.

But the damage done to the psyche of the higher ups and stockholders who look at Overwatch and go "wow, this cost us a decade of development? what a waste!!!" is going to be guiding Blizzard for the next few years. It's probably single handedly responsible for the push for mobile gaming going forward: don't have to fret about so much wasted development time if you're producing cheap throwaway phone games!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny overwatch came out of it and was a huge success because titan was a powerfully stupid idea from the get-go.

Minrad posted:

I enjoyed the third person and 3D aspect of Smite. Like the idea that you can physically stand in front of a ranged carry to protect your team and intercept their autoattacks is a really smart idea that didn't get used again until Overwatch did it, except better, with Reinhardt and their other tanks.

yeah that's what got me excited for it (and the twitch aspect). 2bad about the actual game...

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Metzen retired after they turned the rubble of Titan into Overwatch. He cited the overwhelming stress.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Are they actually going to focus on mobile or is that just suspicion based on that dumb Diablo game? It sounds like a stupid as gently caress idea since mobile games feel like MMOs did about 8 years ago where everyone was rushing to hit gold and got burned when the market got oversauturated. The difference is this time Blizzard would be jumping in late instead of setting the trend. I'm sure companies that are able to reskin out another Game of War clone still do ok but why do I want to waste time on a Blizzard gatcha game when those things are designed to just burn brightly for a few months while extracting as much cash from whales before the next one?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Radish posted:

Are they actually going to focus on mobile or is that just suspicion based on that dumb Diablo game? It sounds like a stupid as gently caress idea since mobile games feel like MMOs did about 8 years ago where everyone was rushing to hit gold and got burned when the market got oversauturated. The difference is this time Blizzard would be jumping in late instead of setting the trend. I'm sure companies that are able to reskin out another Game of War clone still do ok but why do I want to waste time on a Blizzard gatcha game when those things are designed to just burn brightly for a few months while extracting as much cash from whales before the next one?

it's literally their stated goal right now

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/07/blizzard-is-working-on-mobile-titles-across-multiple-franchises

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
if anyone wants to try league I'll be happy to play some games with you

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

no loving way.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I don't think you can really call Overwatch coming from Titan a success, seeing as they spent 9 years just to release Overwatch from the remains. That's 9 years of salary and man-power of many people to ultimately use up a fraction of what they created. Sure Overwatch in itself is successful but to spend that long making it seems like a massive failure of resource management.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

league's pretty good right now

(this is mostly directed at groovelord) they've drifted away from avoiding designs for things that could be used to troll teammates or whatever and the game's benefitted a lot from it, with things like pit lord ultimate or a naga siren-eseque ultimate both existing now. it's possible to spend time mastering a lot of league heroes on the level of like, mastering ember spirit or invoker or whatever.

nexus blitz is just a really, really lovely variation on hots though. not sure who the audience is for that mode.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it's pretty hosed up how games workshop got away with ripping off starcraft imo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Minrad posted:

(this is mostly directed at groovelord) they've drifted away from avoiding designs for things that could be used to troll teammates or whatever and the game's benefitted a lot from it, with things like pit lord ultimate or a naga siren-eseque ultimate both existing now. it's possible to spend time mastering a lot of league heroes on the level of like, mastering ember spirit or invoker or whatever.

they ruined my two favorite heroes so i shant be returning. (remake of my third fave was good tho).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha what a disaster that's going to be. I guess it's just about getting whatever cash they can from their IP until people realize that spending $200 on rolls getting that five star Thrall and mats to upgrade Doomhammer for him is a waste when all you can do are boring repeatable "quests" that autoplay for you.

Mobile gaming can be good but games like that typically have an upfront cost and aren't free to play. The Diablo game they announced seems to imply they are chasing the gatcha whale dream using their established stuff as a hook.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Sexpansion posted:

if anyone wants to try league I'll be happy to play some games with you

I actually downloaded it this weekend, so before the announcement, because I wanted to check it out. Did the tutorials and it seems quite fun but all the items, upgrades and the last-hitting kinda turned me off. I guess I will give it some more tries now and see how i feel.