Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

how do you expect the tax implications of your desire to work cross-border are to be handled?

if the company you wanna work for doesn’t have explicit processes for “dealing” with employees that live somewhere where they have no legal entity/tax presence, they’re probably not gonna wanna touch you with a 10 foot pole unfortunately, even if they’re in the EU

how does you freelancing with a US company work tax wise? does your dutch visa exempt you from taxes for some period of time, would you go through the pain and expense of dealing with both US and dutch tax accounting, or would you just pretend you’re still living in the US and not report any income to the netherlands at all (easy to get away with but not good if you get caught)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

how do you expect the tax implications of your desire to work cross-border are to be handled?

if the company you wanna work for doesn’t have explicit processes for “dealing” with employees that live somewhere where they have no legal entity/tax presence, they’re probably not gonna wanna touch you with a 10 foot pole unfortunately, even if they’re in the EU

how does you freelancing with a US company work tax wise? does your dutch visa exempt you from taxes for some period of time, would you go through the pain and expense of dealing with both US and dutch tax accounting, or would you just pretend you’re still living in the US and not report any income to the netherlands at all (easy to get away with but not good if you get caught)?

My goal has been to either work full time directly for a Dutch company, because that is easiest, or freelance for any company based in the US or EU.

I get why some US companies have not bothered reaching out just because it would automatically feel like a hassle. The point of the freelance company is they are the company of record here in the Netherlands, they would handle all the disbursements to me and handle all the tax accounting. I know this can be done because it is 100% what my wife already does. She works freelance from here, her contract is with a US University doing federal research. They just send a lump sum payment to the freelance company and it all gets disbursed appropriately. The client has no other obligations. I put all this information in my cover letter and mention in screening calls, the few there have been.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gotcha

yeah, even with your side of things being in order, it really is up to how open other company’s hiring processes are for their willingness to deal with a dutch freelance entity to bring you on

good luck!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Anecdotally most teams at large UK companies I've worked with have some contractors in the EU, with Netherlands being somewhat common (along with Italy for whatever reason).

I think if you can be a contractor it's not really an issue at least within the EU (+ UK) but being a direct employee is different, since the company would need to do a bunch more accounting to deal with it. Not there aren't companies that hire in multiple EU countries but typically they would open a local office.

e: The contractors in this case being the same as regular employees for all intents and purposes aside from accounting, not working as freelancers or anything like that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 13, 2024

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Being international adds some friction but I think it's layoffs etc pushing a lot of developer supply plus a shitload of ai resume spam flooding the market.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've spent the last 9 months, in ADDITION to my so called career, writing some of the best code I've ever written.

And I'm never going to see a dime for it.

Instead I'm applying to every vaguely applicable job on linked in hoping some company deems my specific brand of autism valuable enough to keep me.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
looks like they brought stack overflow jobs back. eatin' that humble pie

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
they absolutely did not bring it back, they just sold the name to indeed and indeed did a lovely reskin with zero of the features stack overflow jobs had

i was so excited and then so loving mad when I followed the link. last time I used indeed my phone rang off the hook for months with entry level onsite jobs in all the worst states. dipshits cold calling me when I'm expecting scheduled interviewers and trying to get me to move to loving Jersey to do "blockchain ai" for twenty dollars an hour contract

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I remember when Stack Overflow Jobs hit the scene while I was still at Experts Exchange and somebody had the genius idea that we should have a jobs list too!! So we called some lovely API and listed the results and I don't think we even took a cut?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Just caught up with the last week of LinkedIn job postings. So many applications submitted. I really need to get something soon.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
have you tried getting high

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CPColin posted:

have you tried getting high

every day

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Does anyone know of a good interview coach? I have a friend who's a very good developer but constantly crumbles in interviews and I feel like they could use some actual live help with it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Austin Community College has a career center with tele-interview practice and coaching that is available to anyone anywhere. Colleges in their area might offer the irl versions of the same thing to the community.

99% of interviewing is just getting over The Fear so applying to jobs you're overqualified for is also a really great way to practice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
as is applying for jobs you dont actually want

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
saying “no thanks” to a job offer feels great

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh another thing that can help is to get involved in interviews on the other side of the table. Sitting in on the hiring side of the interview can help give more context to what they're looking for and common mistakes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

it does. but doing the interview itself is unpleasant

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

walking in wearing my "I'd rather be petting George" shirt and fizz buzzing like a champ

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

:yeah:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

qirex posted:

Does anyone know of a good interview coach? I have a friend who's a very good developer but constantly crumbles in interviews and I feel like they could use some actual live help with it.

your local library might also have something, although they probably wont be tech specific

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

arg, boned an assessment with a mixed up comparison operation at the 3rd of 4 levels and ran out of time. feel like i could have gotten credit for that whole third level had i like... 10 more minutes

got the email confirmation saying i didn't meet the minimum score. im seeing if i can get that reconsidered with some conversational context with the hiring team 🙈

the assessment rated me as expert in problem solving and data and algorithms and one other dimension that i forget, and intermediate at refactoring - which to me is the right prioritization for a 90 minute assessment with 4 levels. leave the refactor for the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
5 is down to 2 solid with the third somewhere in a liminal space.