Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

I think the most interesting change in there is the apparently growing proportion of ACT voters that don't like Seymour, with support dropping from 80% (11/14) to 55% (6/11)

I don't interpret this as Seymour falling in popularity among ACT voters, just as a reversion to the norm which is that people see ACT as a minor party and want it to support a National government with Luxon at the helm. Also that a lot of ACT voters don't like women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

Also that a lot of ACT voters don't like women.
Oh right yeah that would explain it

Could also be national voters who don't like women, as in they were answering national/seymour rather than national/collins

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

:vince:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

14 billion just so a few business owners on dominion road can keep their precious on street parking, disgraceful. oh well hurry up and get shovels in the ground before rat boy tries to cancel it for another motorway

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Insane decision that'll ensure it never gets built and fucks over North West yet again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"Future North Shore connection." Looking forward to that being built some time between "not now" and "never."

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I know there's a pandemic on and everything but why is labour determined to gently caress the poor? I just hate that the **labour** party is spending all their time giving welfare to businesses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

I know there's a pandemic on and everything but why is labour determined to gently caress the poor? I just hate that the **labour** party is spending all their time giving welfare to businesses.

For the billionth time: neoliberalism

:capitalism:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Well I don't like it. There must be a better way

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

loving hell goons what do you want? Y'all winge and moan about the govt never doing enough, then when they go big on something that's actually good you complain about them spending too much money and being unrealistic.

This plan is good. You can't put it along roads through the central city because it'll end up stuck in traffic. They're clearly planning for a harbour rail crossing with this too, which is also good. Hub and spoke public transport projects don't serve poor people well typically, sure, but when the other option is do nothing, nothing is not the better option. The route is planned out to connect up big kainga ora developments so it's not like this is purely for the benefit of the wealthy, and fewer cars on the road benefits everyone.

Like for real, the government is proposing a huge state funded public transport project and it's being derided itt as "neoliberal"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bike tory posted:

loving hell goons what do you want? Y'all winge and moan about the govt never doing enough, then when they go big on something that's actually good you complain about them spending too much money and being unrealistic.

This plan is good. You can't put it along roads through the central city because it'll end up stuck in traffic. They're clearly planning for a harbour rail crossing with this too, which is also good. Hub and spoke public transport projects don't serve poor people well typically, sure, but when the other option is do nothing, nothing is not the better option. The route is planned out to connect up big kainga ora developments so it's not like this is purely for the benefit of the wealthy, and fewer cars on the road benefits everyone.

Like for real, the government is proposing a huge state funded public transport project and it's being derided itt as "neoliberal"

yeah this is pretty much what i would have chosen as a best case

i think it's good

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao if you think that's anything approaching best case then idk what to say. Either your standards are insanely low or the possibilities are extremely limited. That will do jack loving poo poo for congestion or reducing commute times. The putative north shore link that will never get built is by far the most useful part of the whole thing, come the gently caress on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Lmao if you think that's anything approaching best case then idk what to say. Either your standards are insanely low or the possibilities are extremely limited. That will do jack loving poo poo for congestion or reducing commute times. The putative north shore link that will never get built is by far the most useful part of the whole thing, come the gently caress on.

I mean, you could say anything instead of just scoffing?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

loving hell goons what do you want?

A rail connection to the North Shore to actually happen, rather than endlessly talked about as a hypothetical that's written off by road and car fetishists as "pie-in-the-sky" who's argument is "a blee bloo blah bloo bleh bloo bluh," and a public transport system that is practical, rather than being endlessly systematically underfunded and constantly reduced.

The busline near where I live, the 802 used to be every 15 to 20 minutes, before that got cut down to 1 per hour, probably by some oval office in a suit in Wellington. The next bus stop is about 20~30 minutes walk away. Why the gently caress would I use that?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

"Future North Shore connection." Looking forward to that being built some time between "not now" and "never."
FNSC is the PENLINK of the SUPERCITY (Rodney will never acquiesce).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Along with this they've also announced that they're bringing forward the new harbour connection decision to next year, so if labour get a third term they'll be trying to get shovels in the ground then

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

bike tory posted:

You can't put it along roads through the central city because it'll end up stuck in traffic.

you get rid of the cars by giving it a dedicated right of way along the surface

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bike tory posted:

loving hell goons what do you want?

An actual effective government that is spending our tax dollars on things like "no one can own a home" and "no one can afford to eat" first before they start doing pre-compromised transport projects

I dunno, you tell us what you want since you're so despirate to make excuses for Labour's wheel spinning hoseshit that always puts business interests first

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What I want is for private vehicle ownership to be banned, but I'm not complaining about the government improving the status quo.

Improved transport is a big part of housing people. Like I said, this route connects up a bunch of big Kainga Ora developments and I think some huge number (like 150k people) will live within 1km of this line within 10 years. With the new zoning law changes that will potentially be even more in a few years.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sphyre posted:

14 billion just so a few business owners on dominion road can keep their precious on street parking, disgraceful. oh well hurry up and get shovels in the ground before rat boy tries to cancel it for another motorway
Who doesn't love sitting in a train that's waiting at a stoplight?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Ah so in ten years we might have done something about housing and food prices

in one area

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Ah so in ten years we might have done something about housing and food prices

in one area
Transit pops out of the ether, all at once, with zero incremental buildout

Also transit means you don't need to be housed in the middle of the city to have a reasonable commute

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

What I want is for private vehicle ownership to be banned, but I'm not complaining about the government improving the status quo.

Improved transport is a big part of housing people. Like I said, this route connects up a bunch of big Kainga Ora developments and I think some huge number (like 150k people) will live within 1km of this line within 10 years. With the new zoning law changes that will potentially be even more in a few years.

It doesn't need to be in an eyewateringly expensive underground tunnel to achieve 95%+ of the same objectives. The KO developments are like mpt much more than a block away from the original Dom Rd route.

This is underground purely to avoid business disruption and taking away priority from cars. For $15b we should be able to do CC2M, Northwest, maybe a crosstown route from Avondale using the existing rail designation alongside SH20 (which can serve the KO developments) and probably a decent start on the Shore too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Progressive JPEG posted:

Surface rail would have priority along the entire route. Yeah that's not going to totally eliminate stops but it goes a long way to doing so, especially since many of the lights are at built up areas where it makes sense for a station anyway. While the LR waits at the station loading, the lights are being changed to allow the LR to continue.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Surface rail would have priority along the entire route. Yeah that's not going to totally eliminate stops but it goes a long way to doing so, especially since many of the lights are at built up areas where it makes sense for a station anyway. While the LR waits at the station loading, the lights are being changed to allow the LR to continue.
Light rail is buses for white people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8JUf_N5keY

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

the problem that you've identified in both these cases is cars. get rid of the cars.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

It doesn't need to be in an eyewateringly expensive underground tunnel to achieve 95%+ of the same objectives. The KO developments are like mpt much more than a block away from the original Dom Rd route.

This is underground purely to avoid business disruption and taking away priority from cars. For $15b we should be able to do CC2M, Northwest, maybe a crosstown route from Avondale using the existing rail designation alongside SH20 (which can serve the KO developments) and probably a decent start on the Shore too.

You're right the Dom Road one was more cost effective and more accessible, and personally yes I think they should've taken that option. But I think you're understating the costs, there's no way you'd get all of the things you're suggesting for 14.5bn. I think the Dom Road cc2m option was 9bn.

I also think there's more to the political calculus of going under Sandringham Road than just sparing business owners on Dom Road their carparks. A surface route along Dom road would've still taken years to build and would've just shat all over the entire city's road network the whole time. They would've ended up with a really unpopular project before it was even finished and it would've made future rail projects even less likely.

The disruption on Albert St for the CRL has been bad enough, politically, and that's only impacted a relatively small number of people compared to shutting down Dom Road for the foreseeable.

Sphyre posted:

the problem that you've identified in both these cases is cars. get rid of the cars.

:hmmyes: ban private vehicles

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Rising cost of living may trigger civil disobedience

So I was wrong about the cheese, an hour of minimum wage labour will only buy you one block.

Keep telling me how the government has things well in hand and how mild omicron will be.

I was more talking about this, the train thing is whatever

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sphyre posted:

And pedestrians. Also cut all of the at-grade crossings. Hope you weren't expecting any deliveries

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 28, 2022

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Point being, just throwing a couple streetcars onto a surface-level road is a pointless waste of time. If they want transit to be used in any real volume the solution that's been proposed is the way to get there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bike tory posted:

Along with this they've also announced that they're bringing forward the new harbour connection decision to next year, so if labour get a third term they'll be trying to get shovels in the ground then
last i saw the connection proposals there was three that included rail and the preferred option.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

germans use underground rail and let me tell you those germans know a thing or two about mass transit

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Hear me out, but what if there was some kind of... third dimension... where we could put our trains so that they don't have to be so tiny and useless? (text me)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've mentioned it before in this thread, but Auckland should follow the model that Sendai did in Japan - comparable size and population density. The difference is that there's a robust train system that connects the city to other smaller cities and towns surrounding Sendai as a hub, leading to a significant population growth on the fringes of Sendai and in the surrounding settlements.

A halfway decent train system, and you could have people commuting into Auckland without much hassle from not just places like Warkworth, but also places like Pokeno and Wellsford.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 28, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A high-speed backbone down the North Island would do a lot for housing prices, quality of life, and living options but it's also a fantasy that won't happen in my lifetime so I guess I can take the train to the airport for all the world travelling I'm doing instead.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Progressive JPEG posted:

Hear me out, but what if there was some kind of... third dimension... where we could put our trains so that they don't have to be so tiny and useless? (text me)

yes we're already talking about digging tunnels

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Progressive JPEG posted:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

being in one of those during an earthquake sounds like a great time

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Wafflecopper posted:

being in one of those during an earthquake sounds like a great time

As opposed to what, an underground tunnel?