Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
They need to make an MMO where the people behind the Hildebrand quests just do the whole game.

FF14-2 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Splatoon 2

Salmon Run (aka; what to do in each wave type, because the Tutorial tells you nothing about most of them).

A general note on the tide first; When a wave first starts, pay attention to the bottom of the screen. You'll see a semi-transparent animation of a wave either along the bottom of the screen or potentially all the way up to the mid-point of the screen. That denotes how high the water will be for the round.

Griller
Night falls, and the Tide will possibly rise just to make things worse. Grillers are basically reskinned Flooders from the single-player campaign, targeting a single player and pursuing them relentlessly. If you're the poor Squidkid with a laser on them, run. Don't fight, don't turn around, just get the Griller following you around the map and make sure you have a plan for where you're gonna lead it. (ie; Don't panic and run into a corner, or lead it into your team). It's your teammate's job to kill it, you should only turn around and join in once they manage to stun it (ie; it squats and multiple fish tails hang out of the brim). Good luck when two start chasing you about near the wave's end.

Gusher.
Several Gushers will appear on the map. Don't shoot them at random, they'll just release Salmonids. Instead, what you're meant to do is look for one that glows brightly. There's a Glowie lurking in that one, and once he's out you can splat the poo poo out of him for Golden Eggs.

Mothership
I'm gonna preface this by saying that this roundtype is a loving pain to go into blindly and you're probably gonna fail it more often than not. The Salmonids have a giant Esky Cooler flying around over the map, with airborne Salmonids deploying smaller coolers everywhere. If they land, Salmonids will emerge to hassle you. There are no Bosses in this wave type, instead you need to splat the guys dropping the coolers around the map for a single Golden Egg per kill.

Now, here's the tricky part; Remember the Mothership I mentioned? Every now and then it'll cruise on over to your Basket to start hoovering up eggs. Drop everything and get to your basket first when the warning is announced. You need to focus fire and dissuade it from its feast, or it'll drain your egg total. Which is very, very bad when you have a pretty brutal quota on this wave type already (generally 10-12 eggs).

Glowfly
Night falls, and one of your team has a bunch of pretty fireflies following them around. Fireflies that drive Salmonids mad, bringing them down in ravenous hordes directed solely upon that poor squidkid. If you have the fireflies (they'll move between party members periodically, or if the guy with them dies), then you want to stay at the back or up high (ie; the bow of the ship on Marooner's Bay or the high top near the Basket in the Spawning Grounds) and let your guys nuke down the Salmonids. The only Boss type here is the Goldies, and they're just a slightly stronger Fry.

Cannon.
This is pretty much like a regular round, except the only grunts are the big Salmonids, and you'll have one or more fixed-emplacement Cannons scattered around the map. Get a player on one up high/at the back while the others run point, and let them provide artillery support :gibs:. Ammo comes out of your own ink reserves, so you'll have to drop off it periodically to recharge your ink.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Important Far Cry 4 tip:

If you drop a piece of bait in the middle of nowhere, shoot the animal that comes to get it and drop another, you'll get a different animal coming for the bait. You can cycle through and skin most predators in the game without having to wait until you access the areas they're "supposed" to spawn in.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

If I remember right, that's only for the first run, as a sort of tutorial. NG+ changes it up.

Last question about Lost Dimension then I'll stop. In NG+, do all bonds carry over or only maxed? I found out Nagi is the traitor, and her bond is one notch from max and I need to pass judgement. Will she reset to zero on NG+ or start back where I left her? Otherwise I feel like it was a waste, and you only get so many chances to rank them up...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xander77 posted:

Important Far Cry 4 tip:

If you drop a piece of bait in the middle of nowhere, shoot the animal that comes to get it and drop another, you'll get a different animal coming for the bait. You can cycle through and skin most predators in the game without having to wait until you access the areas they're "supposed" to spawn in.

Also use the little helicopter to go from tower to tower and just land near the beacon to skip the boring climbing puzzles and goons that hang around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Actually one more thing for Splatoon 2 that people don't seem to realize; You can Super Jump any time you want. It's not just at the Spawnpoint, you can launch yourself over to your buddies whenever.

Personally I like to bounce back to the Spawn with Tenta Missiles for the best angle on most of the other team.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

skooma512 posted:

Also use the little helicopter to go from tower to tower and just land near the beacon to skip the boring climbing puzzles and goons that hang around.
Land inside. Tower roofs have forcefields that through AJ off, but you can land inside the tower more or less fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A proposed addition for Watch Dogs 2:

Treat most pickup icons in the open world as entirely optional diversions. After you get the quadcopter, money is only used for vehicles, weapons and clothes, none of which are essential to making it through the game nor particularly expensive. Similarly, the game throws research points at you by the dozen for beating the main missions. Paint jobs are purely cosmetic. If you go after anything specifically, make it key data.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A proposed addition for Watch Dogs 2:

Treat most pickup icons in the open world as entirely optional diversions. After you get the quadcopter, money is only used for vehicles, weapons and clothes, none of which are essential to making it through the game nor particularly expensive. Similarly, the game throws research points at you by the dozen for beating the main missions. Paint jobs are purely cosmetic. If you go after anything specifically, make it key data.

Added with slight edit.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Thea: the awakening? I'm having problems with keeping both an "away team" and a defended village.

It's been a while since I've played Thea, but it's a fun and underappreciated gem, so I'll try to give some pointers.

You should make the away team beefier, since they'll encounter the most dangers. At the early game it's pretty viable to put all of your fighters except one in the away team, as well as most of your gatherers. Try to get a healer ASAP and put them on the away team, it greatly reduces of dying from wounds if something went wrong.

Keep all your crafters at home and when you have a surplus of gatherers, you can keep some at home also to gather nearby resources. Always be building stuff. That's how you gain science, which progresses you to better stuff and materials.

Most of your population growth will be from attracting new people and not children growing up. And you attract people by building stuff from specific materials. At the early game you'll probably want to build several farms and cabbage fields to boost attraction and food, eventually you'll tear them down for something better. You'll also want to build a watchtower sooner rather than later, the added visibility prevents monsters from sneaking up on your village so you know when you should bring your away team back home to defend.

Oh and swords are the best weapon. Axes deal the most damage, clubs can damage multiple opponents and spears strike earlier, all of which occasionally have their uses, but majority of your dudes should be equipped with swords and/or shields. The reason is that they increase a characters shielding, which in turn adds hitpoints in combat. Losing these hitpoints doesn't translate to wounds and doesn't get your people killed.

Many times you'll have a choice between solving a situation by combat or by skill checks. Using skills has usually lesser rewards, but also less risk.

Those are some general tips I can think of. If you have any specific issues or questions, ask away!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Palleon posted:

Last question about Lost Dimension then I'll stop. In NG+, do all bonds carry over or only maxed? I found out Nagi is the traitor, and her bond is one notch from max and I need to pass judgement. Will she reset to zero on NG+ or start back where I left her? Otherwise I feel like it was a waste, and you only get so many chances to rank them up...

It's all or nothing to max their bond in a given run, but the game remembers which ones you did get max bonds with. The hosed up part is that you might just have one more to go before the very end and the game can still gently caress you out of getting it because the one you need is a traitor before you can max them out.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

It's been a while since I've played Thea, but it's a fun and underappreciated gem, so I'll try to give some pointers.
Thanks for this. Couple of questions:

- Is it worth it to try and micromanage the menu of my villagers? Bonus are nice, but getting to 10 foods is a pain.
- Any recommended research path? 2 handed swords are nice for warriors and 2 handed hammers seem a good all purpose weapons, but other than that I'm pretty lost.
- Is it better to leave lairs around so they spawn enemies I can farm?
- It seems that the game wants me to keep making stuff always. Any tips on an item that's big on research points and not too expensive to build?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Fat Samurai posted:

- Is it worth it to try and micromanage the menu of my villagers? Bonus are nice, but getting to 10 foods is a pain.
- Any recommended research path? 2 handed swords are nice for warriors and 2 handed hammers seem a good all purpose weapons, but other than that I'm pretty lost.
- It seems that the game wants me to keep making stuff always. Any tips on an item that's big on research points and not too expensive to build?

Specific responses (don't put these in the wiki):
Yes, kinda. The default town gives you resources for 4 foods (veggie, build pasture for meat, cook meat for jerky and bigos), expandable to 6 if you develop an herbalist's hut.
Hammers aren't great, especially late game. In general, hammers are good early game, swords are good early and mid game, and late game axes and pikes are more useful, mostly because enemy health inflation.
Nope. Farming enemies will mostly get you mediocre to bad weapons and resources. Harvesting and events are how you get the good stuff.
Silk shirts are pretty good for research, with a fairly common resource. Don't forget to recycle them to get back some of the silk if you need it.

General help:
- Blunt damage is nice early game, but late game the scary enemies have enough health it's not worth it. Piercing damage is always good.
- Not all difficulty modifiers are created equal. Larger map size will greatly decrease your available resources, while more aggressive enemies mostly means you spend less move points hunting spiders.
- Don't trust the encounter difficulty. 3 skull dwarves will wreck you when 3 skull boars aren't a problem.
- Shielding is worth more than armor. Early game especially, one point of shielding is worth 2 or more points of armor. Later on, enemies will kill you in one or two hits, even with a ton of armor, making the ratio get closer to one.
- If you have early access to coal or wicker, research accessories. You can tear down all the items you find with amber in them to make + gather and crafting items, while giving you tons of research.
- Cooked food items with the same name but different ingredients count as different food items.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 27, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Thanks for the Enter the Gungeon tips, I'm getting more into the game now, it really is an improvement over how it was at launch.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Nier: Automata that isn't already on the wiki?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

RatHat posted:

Nothing's really missable. Have fun.

Use the quick access from the d-pad, which the game doesn't really tell you about (unless I missed It).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Astroneer tip: when you build your first rover, get out a sheet of paper, a pencil, and a protractor. Every time you turn, note your heading by getting out of the car and mousing over your guy to show a compass at his feet. Keep track of your time driving in a straight line, and plot your course on paper with a ruler (1" = one minute of driving or whatever scale) like an old-school ship or airplane navigator. Otherwise you will get lost as gently caress and have to kill your player character and respawn at home losing your car and everything you've collected/start over from scratch/abandon the game in frustration the first time you a drive over the horizon from your base. With the first option, you may run across it again eventually, if you were above ground.

Or you could leave a breadcrumb trail of beacons/:dong:s built into the terrain, but whatever way you solve it, don't go on a long-distance scouting/resource gathering run without having some way to find your way back home. Even goins straight along the equator and navigating by the stars isn't reliable, you'll get turned around or have to detour around a mountain at some point and get off your line.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 28, 2017

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Eldred posted:

Nothing's really missable. Have fun.

Use the quick access from the d-pad, which the game doesn't really tell you about (unless I missed It).

Correction: exactly one ending is missable. Can't really describe it without spoiling it, but you can still get the plat through an in game store if you really wanted to.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Fat Samurai posted:

Unreal_One already answered these but I'll add my two cents.

- Kind of. Cooked foods weight less than uncooked, so you will prefer giving that stuff to the away team. Also you can specify what groups can eat what, I never let my home team eat anything except vegetables, maybe meat once I have a pasture securing local production. Villagers don't need those bonuses or extra movement!
- I usually prioritize stronger materials, especial the different types of wood and stone, since that means you can build stronger items and buildings. You want strong items, having access to different types of items is not inherently a bonus. And you can supplement your inventory with scavenging, most of the stuff you'll find from monsters etc. is trash, but occasionally you'll find stuff that's way better than what you can build.
- Nope, just get rid of the lairs. The yields scale with your progress, strong dudes beating up weak skeletons isn't worth any experience.
- I prefer using stuff you can find locally for this. Use any materials that you can get huge piles of with minimal effort, since you won't be using the stuff you build for research purposes. No point in spending too much effort on stuff that'll just get destroyed.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pyre

The start of the game is really easy, but at the 1/3rd mark (which will be very obvious) ramps up the difficulty and, like other Supergiant games, gives you additional difficulty toggles that give more XP. Wait for that to happen before you decide to kick it up to a harder difficulty.

It's OK to lose matches and keep going. Seriously. At the same time, you're not missing a huge amount of content if you fail or succeed all the time anyway. Consider it replay value.
Basically, it's OK to lose, but it's also OK to savescum if you're that kind of person, you're not missing much either way.

Get the Quickness talisman and shove all your upgrades into it ASAP to either make your fast character superfast or your slow characters much more viable and feeling better to use.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Another one for Pyre is that aura casting is a lot stronger than you think it is. No, really, use aura casting.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

Mayor McCheese posted:

Here's a few for Nier: Automata (http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Nier:_Automata):

-You can buy most rare materials for your weapon upgrades from the shop on wheels. After talking to him once, he will move around the City Ruins and has a 50% chance to sell materials at the Resistance Camp location; reload the game if he's not there.

-Fish only for money, an important item in the ocean, and a weapon found in the sewers. If you're insane and still want to fill out your fishing log, the Flooded City has the rarest fish near the missile.

-There's a buried weapon in the desert you can get using the radar skill. This is located between the two pipelines along the save point radius' gradient.

-Talk to the NPC wearing a machine head after you complete ending E for a secret shop.

-The "Arcade Game" you unlock can be filled out as you continue to hack. It has 48 stages and lots of rewards. You can cheese these by using the easy mode skill-mods.

-There's one missable in the game and its prerequisites require you to have every weapon at max level.

I hate missables and that one drove me nuts because googling it is filled with spoilers.

Quoting myself there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PMush Perfect posted:

How about a classic nostalgia trip in Diablo 2?
After about another 50 hours, logged in this game in two weeks, I think I'm ready to answer my own questions here.

Before You Play
- Get the expansion, if you can. Comes with a whole extra act, new items throughout the whole game, two new classes, and several quality of life improvements, including a much larger item stash. Plus, you can get both it and the base game on the Blizzard website for $20.

- Even if you only play single player, connect to the internet long enough to get updated to the current version (1.14 as of this writing).

- The multiplayer community is pretty much dead, and some poorly-timed lag can easily get you killed, so stick to single player unless you're specifically playing with friends.

Character Selection/Development
- The best classes for a new player are Barbarian or Paladin, but all of them are totally playable.

- For your first time through, you should be fine leveling up whatever skills seem interesting, just don't spread yourself too thin. If there's a late-game skill you want, hover over it to see which early skills give it bonuses. This should give you a pretty decent idea of how to allocate your skill points.

- Strength and Dexterity are mostly important for meeting attribute requirements, but provide some damage bonuses. Melee should focus on Strength, Ranged should focus on Dexterity, shield users should pay attention to both. Vitality is good for everyone. Energy is probably your dump stat, since the game will happily drown you in mana potions and mana-boosting gear, if you want it to.

- Azhara can reset your stats and skill points... once.

Questing/Exploration
- Buy a book of Town Portal scrolls as soon as you can easily afford it, and don't be afraid to use them regularly. 200 gold for a bit of TP is much better than a messy wipe.

- If you don't know where to go to complete a quest, go to the last outdoor area you've discovered and hug the walls until you find a way into somewhere new.

- Finding the teleport pad in each zone is much more important in multiplayer than single player, but even in SP, it's still worth tracking down just in case you get surprise-killed and have to run back to grab your gear.

- Before you go into a zone/boss fight you think you might lose, open a town portal scroll but don't go through it. Then, if you die, you can come through from the other side, grab your gear, and run back out again.

- You'll eventually get a quest reward where Charsi will imbue a non-magical item for you. Save it. What you get is based on your level and the item's level, so it won't really be worthwhile unless you save it until Act 4/5. The optimal thing to spend it on is probably a late-game piece of expansion-only headwear called a Circlet/Coronet, which have some crazy potential for what they can be enchanted with.

Gear and Gold
- Make sure to stash your gold every time you return to town; you can spend gold directly from your stash.

- Fairly early on, you will unlock a townsperson who can Identify gear for free. Once you get him, you can just warp back whenever your inventory is full rather than lugging around inventory scrolls.

- Things that sell particularly well: Mana potions, throwing potions, Superior-quality armor (especially socketed), any magic gear that you identify because you might want to use it.

- Better belts give more rows for your potion slots. Sashes/Light Belts give 1 extra row, Belts/Heavy Belts give 2, Plated Belts give 3.

- If you're playing with the expansion, mercenaries can use gear you don't want/need, and ethereal equipment they're wielding doesn't degrade when they use it.

- Never sell: Gems/Skulls, Runes, Rings/Amulets, or Rejuvenation Potions. About a third of the way through Act 2, you'll unlock a way to fuse three of one type into the next highest rank. (3 Chipped Ruby -> 1 Flawed Ruby, etc.)

- Don't be shy about using gems/runes if you want to, just be aware that once they're in an item, they're in there for good. Save them for a Superior or magical socketed item, if you can.

Gambling
- Optimal play is to wait until your stash is full before you start using gambling as a money sink, but this is only really important once you get into the higher difficulties, and things like mercenary-reviving start getting crazy-expensive.

- Gambling inventory is unique because you can immediately quit out of the conversation and back in to refresh the inventory. This can be used to easily 'farm' through several screens of stock to find better-quality base items. These tend to be worthwhile to gamble on even if they end up being stinkers just for the higher base stats.

- Theoretically, you could sit refreshing Gheed's inventory for hours and get all kinds of way-out-of-depth gear to buy through gambling, but you might as well just spend that time playing the game.

Post-Game
- Once you defeat the final boss of the last act, you will unlock what is essentially a New Game+ campaign difficulty called Nightmare. This includes new items, more powerful and varied unique enemies, and generally a much more difficult experience. If you beat it on Nightmare, you then unlock Hell, which is the same, but moreso.

- Theoretically, a well-built character could get through Nightmare without a guide, but if you're going to go into Hell, or aren't 100% certain about your ability to take on Nightmare, you should look up a character-build guide and build one from the list that seems interesting to you, before going into Nightmare/Hell. Going into the new difficulty refreshes Azhara's reset, but doesn't let you keep one that you wasted.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In regards to the above D2 stuff:

Incidentally, if you're playing offline and you want to make use of runewords, you're pretty much reliant on hacking them in because the drop rates are low (and balanced around MP).
Use PlugY (a third party mod) to have cross character stashes.

You can respec once PER DIFFICULTY (and PlugY lets you do it more often if you want).
If you play offline, typing /players 8 in chat will change the difficulty and drop rate to be like there are 8 players in an MP game.

Most low end uniques and sets are garbage compared to rares and high end uniques, you only really know which good ones are from experience. A lot of low end runewords can be useful for gap filling, like the Smoke runeword for body armor that gives you a bunch of resist all for just two low-ish, easily farmed runes (Nef Lum).

I would contend that the only real classes that aren't easy for newbies are Necro and Druid. Everything else is pretty easy. Even Sorceresses now that the respec is in so you can take low level skills to get you through normal and then respec for your legit build once you have more points.

In nightmare and hell, there are basically two things you care about on a meta level: +Resistances (preferrably Resist All) and +Skills (anything that adds to your character class skills, your trees you use, or individual skills you use). The former keeps you from getting one shot, the latter lets you do significantly more damage. A lovely leather hat that had +2 all skills on it would be a godlike item even with no other stats. +1 all skills is semi common on uniques, and + to specific trees shows up a fair amount of times on charms and rares.

The Act 2 mercenaries have different (better) auras in Nightmare than they do in Normal or Hell. An Act 2 nightmare Defensive merc will have a very useful Holy Freeze aura. In normal, probably just go with an Act 3 frost merc.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Incidentally, if you're playing offline and you want to make use of runewords, you're pretty much reliant on hacking them in because the drop rates are low (and balanced around MP).

You can respec once PER DIFFICULTY (and PlugY lets you do it more often if you want).
If you play offline, typing /players 8 in chat will change the difficulty and drop rate to be like there are 8 players in an MP game.

Most low end uniques and sets are garbage compared to rares and high end uniques, you only really know which good ones are from experience. A lot of low end runewords can be useful for gap filling, like the Smoke runeword for body armor that gives you a bunch of resist all for just two low-ish, easily farmed runes (Nef Lum).

I would contend that the only real classes that aren't easy for newbies are Necro and Druid. Everything else is pretty easy. Even Sorceresses now that the respec is in so you can take low level skills to get you through normal and then respec for your legit build once you have more points.

In nightmare and hell, there are basically two things you care about on a meta level: +Resistances (preferrably Resist All) and +Skills (anything that adds to your character class skills, your trees you use, or individual skills you use). The former keeps you from getting one shot, the latter lets you do significantly more damage. A lovely leather hat that had +2 all skills on it would be a godlike item even with no other stats. +1 all skills is semi common on uniques, and + to specific trees shows up a fair amount of times on charms and rares.

The Act 2 mercenaries have different (better) auras in Nightmare than they do in Normal or Hell. An Act 2 nightmare Defensive merc will have a very useful Holy Freeze aura. In normal, probably just go with an Act 3 frost merc.

PlugY isn't compatible with 1.14, so patching through battle.net is a no-no if you're going to use it. 1.13d is still widely available on third party sites. Sadly, 1.14a also includes Windows 7, 8, and 10 compatibility so you may have to run it in XP mode if you're having issues.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I saw a couple streamers using PlugY in 1.14, so there must be at least a partially compatible version out there?

Either way, it's still sort of mandatory for a good single player experience.

I hope they actually come out with D2 HD at some point.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Zaodai posted:

I saw a couple streamers using PlugY in 1.14, so there must be at least a partially compatible version out there?

Either way, it's still sort of mandatory for a good single player experience.

I hope they actually come out with D2 HD at some point.

It's probably partially supported; even some of the old pre-1.12 trainers out there still kinda work.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
I think that Kerbal Space Program could use a page, on the wiki. As long as it's updated frequently

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zaodai posted:

I included the refreshed respeccing in the Post-Game section. Even if we think of it as one game, it'd be clearer to a newcomer to the series to explain it as a New Game+ mode. :ssh:

I'm also very wary of drowning a page in tips, but I integrated what I could without losing the thread in paragraphs of niche advice about gear Sets and Rune farming. (IIRC, The Countess is still a great, easy way to farm runes in SP, so it's not like RWs are impossible, just "mostly irrelevant until they're already looking things up".)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 30, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The good runewords are basically impossible without cheating in single player. You're not farming an Enigma or a Breath of the Dying, as the high runes they contain have an absurdly low drop rate (especially the Zod in BOTD) and can't drop from Countess or the Hellforge quest.

And yeah, D2 doesn't really lend itself well to advice before you play. If I were making the page, it would probably say "Don't play a druid or a necro as your first character. Act 2 Nightmare mercs are better than all other mercs. Resist All and +Skills on items are super important". Those are really the big things you'd need to know, as specific other stuff you're probably better off looking up for yourself when you reach the respective point. There's just too much stuff otherwise.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I also feel like it is important to know before you play Diablo II that there are two types of Diablo players: those who are playing Diablo Life for whom all this advice is vital, and those who want to play through Diablo II, for whom all advice is basically dumb because you can beat the game without knowing anything at all.

This might sound like I am being pedantic but I mean, I played through all the acts of Diablo II and the expansion once, and had a great time, and just got confused that my friends wanted seemingly to keep re-playing the entire game over and over again. For what purpose? To what end point? TO MAKE AN EVEN BETTER CHARACTER O.K., but then what do you do with the character? PLAY MORE DIABLO II

(It is basically just the choice between the single-player style and the MMORPG-style game; whichever of those game types appeals to you more, plan accordingly!)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I also feel like it is important to know before you play Diablo II that there are two types of Diablo players: those who are playing Diablo Life for whom all this advice is vital, and those who want to play through Diablo II, for whom all advice is basically dumb because you can beat the game without knowing anything at all.

This might sound like I am being pedantic but I mean, I played through all the acts of Diablo II and the expansion once, and had a great time, and just got confused that my friends wanted seemingly to keep re-playing the entire game over and over again. For what purpose? To what end point? TO MAKE AN EVEN BETTER CHARACTER O.K., but then what do you do with the character? PLAY MORE DIABLO II

(It is basically just the choice between the single-player style and the MMORPG-style game; whichever of those game types appeals to you more, plan accordingly!)

I would contend at that point you haven't actually played Diablo 2, but to each their own. If you just play through normal and then quit, you haven't actually played through the game because you could beat normal blindfolded.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Zaodai posted:

I would contend at that point you haven't actually played Diablo 2, but to each their own. If you just play through normal and then quit, you haven't actually played through the game because you could beat normal blindfolded.
Big post response, bigger post rebuttal, angry hurt reply, moderator intervention, return to normal thread.

(that was me seeing the future, mind, not saying you did anything wrong)

During my doctoral research I decided once and for all to never again play games without an ending since I barely had time to play games that DID end; Diablo II was always hard to pigeonhole in this regard because even though it technically had an ending, so many people argued that the game was JUST STARTING! when you finished it. But of course, if you do not stop playing when you beat it once, then there is no specific point when you would stop playing, so I also felt action RPGs emulating Diablo in general needed to be preemptively cut from my future play-list as a result. If I still had game playin' time like I did when I was a child, well...there is a reason I probably beat Civilization like 50 times.

Oh, but that was kind of my point, that the game is so comparatively easy to beat if you just play it once that you do not even need any advice really.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Big post response, bigger post rebuttal, angry hurt reply, moderator intervention, return to normal thread.

(that was me seeing the future, mind, not saying you did anything wrong)

During my doctoral research I decided once and for all to never again play games without an ending since I barely had time to play games that DID end; Diablo II was always hard to pigeonhole in this regard because even though it technically had an ending, so many people argued that the game was JUST STARTING! when you finished it. But of course, if you do not stop playing when you beat it once, then there is no specific point when you would stop playing, so I also felt action RPGs emulating Diablo in general needed to be preemptively cut from my future play-list as a result. If I still had game playin' time like I did when I was a child, well...there is a reason I probably beat Civilization like 50 times.

Oh, but that was kind of my point, that the game is so comparatively easy to beat if you just play it once that you do not even need any advice really.

I can understand that, but even if you aren't going all in on farming, the game itself is actually designed so that one playthrough includes beating the game through Hell difficulty. Out of curiosity, did you feel like you gained anything from playing just normal? To me that would be supremely unsatisfying, but I'm way on the other end of the scale, I played D2 for years. I feel like people who don't really want to get in on a loot farming ARPG are going to get an unenjoyable experience from Normal difficulty and they may actually just be better served to skip it. The story is okay, but you could read an overview of it or watch the cutscenes on youtube or something.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

As regards Dragon Age Origins, is there any sort of downside to slapping heavy armor on a rogue? Besides pissing away attribute points on strength so I can wear the drat things I mean.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I might be thinking of Inquisition, but i think Heavy Armor is just straight restricted based on class?

If not then yeah it's strictly because you'd be wasting stats on points that aren't Dex and Cunning which is what you want as a rogue.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Does anyone have anything for Deathstate? It seems to be one of those games like Binding of Isaac where you just play over and over and over again and eventually you'll have everything, but I get this feeling that there are weird nooks and crannies like Spelunky. Any advice on this one?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Zaodai posted:

I can understand that, but even if you aren't going all in on farming, the game itself is actually designed so that one playthrough includes beating the game through Hell difficulty. Out of curiosity, did you feel like you gained anything from playing just normal? To me that would be supremely unsatisfying, but I'm way on the other end of the scale, I played D2 for years. I feel like people who don't really want to get in on a loot farming ARPG are going to get an unenjoyable experience from Normal difficulty and they may actually just be better served to skip it. The story is okay, but you could read an overview of it or watch the cutscenes on youtube or something.
Zaodai maybe we should hug it out

I feel that I might as well read plot summaries and watch cutscenes from every game if I go down that road. Video games are kind of a replacement for the fiction reading I used to do when I, again, had far more free time (not that there was ever a time I did not play video games but you know what I mean), so just like I do not want to read a 100,000-page long book just because it would keep me going for ages, I do not want to play a game where the point is that it takes up as much time as I am willing to devote to it.

This is also why I tended to get to whatever the equivalent of level ~20 was in a MMORPG along with all my buddies when the game was new and exciting, and then once the full weight of "you know this never ends, right?" hit me I would drift away fairly quickly.

I bet my triple-digit Steam backlog I have been rocking since about 2012 is also playing into this need to avoid pure time-sinks, though clearly I have long been a little "the game only REALLY starts after your fifth time through/at maximum level/once you unlock everything"-averse.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

juliuspringle posted:

As regards Dragon Age Origins, is there any sort of downside to slapping heavy armor on a rogue? Besides pissing away attribute points on strength so I can wear the drat things I mean.

It will decrease the amount of stamina available to use if the fatigue penalty exceeds a threshold and make your skills cost more stamina to use, which basically turns the rogue into an autoattacker and that point you may as well make a dual wielding warrior instead.

You can do a rogue tank build, but that uses light armor and instead pumps dex for high evasion. Dragon Age is kinda cool because all three base classes can spec into a tank (and arguably Mages actually make the best tanks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I soloed (as much as I the game would allow) nightmare with a duelist rogue in DA:O, though this was before the TWF nerf. Rogue tanking is incredibly powerful, but lacks for having solid aggro control to actually be a tank. Naturally this isn't a problem when you're solo.