Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

SynthOrange posted:

The Dimensions one is tubby and worse.

I dunno, Daleks are kinda tubby and awful. Maybe it's just because I've played a lot of Lego Dimensions but I like the Dimensions design well enough.

Has there been a minifigure-scale Dalek that actually looks good anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

shymog posted:

Has there been a minifigure-scale Dalek that actually looks good anywhere?

The Character Options/Building ones were pretty good, pretty much the highlight of the entire line (seriously, everything else was just really really terrible).

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

shymog posted:

I think another part of the problem here is most Lego Ideas sets have felt like showpieces rather than regular-line playsets (Research Lab and Exosuit might be exceptions?). I'm not going to lie and say I don't play with my toys, but I do like them to look good on a shelf.

Minecraft.

I agree, the birds and wall-e look fantastic but there's not much to do with them.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

The Character Options/Building ones were pretty good, pretty much the highlight of the entire line (seriously, everything else was just really really terrible).

They don't really look like LEGO, though.

ether
May 20, 2001

I made this a long time ago (based of a design someone else made on these forums) It's very fragile though, not really fit for a play set. But for display it looks a lot better then both the funset and that ideas set I think.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
I finally finished my copy of that Flickr Millennium Falcon from several pages back. It's not identical, I changed a few things (eg the placement of the 6 circles on the back) and I couldn't decipher his exact build even if I wanted to.

That builder had his flying on a stand, I've given mine landing gear
(yes, only three, b-b-but the real Falcon had seven )
:goonsay:

I did manage to get the stud inversion sorted out around the 'wheel'.

The biggest difference is, I've given mine an entrance ramp. It's not placed perfectly centre but it's close enough for me.

so there you go, my flying hamburger is done.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^ very nice, my build is on ice for now as I lack too many parts...

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

The_Doctor posted:

Those look fine but it's basically a tiny figurine. Not exactly the Lego aesthetic. Sorta like how a lot of megablocks parts are literally a molded chunk of whatever you're building instead of made of bricks

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PriorMarcus posted:

It is a little. The Daleks look a bit rubbish especially.

Ahhh, going for screen accuracy, then.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DisposableHero posted:

Those look fine but it's basically a tiny figurine. Not exactly the Lego aesthetic. Sorta like how a lot of megablocks parts are literally a molded chunk of whatever you're building instead of made of bricks

Just the dome. That's all I wish Lego had made a new mould for.

Also, the TARDIS being two different shades of blue is loving horrid.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
The Daleks are different from the ones in Dimensions only because the ones in Dimensions have to be rebuildable into three separate models.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Fair Hallion posted:

I finally finished my copy of that Flickr Millennium Falcon from several pages back. It's not identical, I changed a few things (eg the placement of the 6 circles on the back) and I couldn't decipher his exact build even if I wanted to.

That builder had his flying on a stand, I've given mine landing gear
(yes, only three, b-b-but the real Falcon had seven )
:goonsay:

I did manage to get the stud inversion sorted out around the 'wheel'.

The biggest difference is, I've given mine an entrance ramp. It's not placed perfectly centre but it's close enough for me.

so there you go, my flying hamburger is done.

I really like this. Did you happen to take any construction pictures that I could reverse engineer your build from? (Aside from the ones you've previously posted)

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I know it's because of the minifigs but I think the worst thing about the Dr Who Ideas set is the price. €55 seems crazy high. I hate to imagine how much it'll cost in Australia (although all the Ideas sets are stupidly expensive over here).

e - The Big Bang Theory set is AUD90 and Wall-E is AUD70 so I'm guessing Dr Who will be around AUD90 as well.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

cyberia posted:

I know it's because of the minifigs but I think the worst thing about the Dr Who Ideas set is the price. €55 seems crazy high. I hate to imagine how much it'll cost in Australia (although all the Ideas sets are stupidly expensive over here).

e - The Big Bang Theory set is AUD90 and Wall-E is AUD70 so I'm guessing Dr Who will be around AUD90 as well.

I don't know about non-US currencies, but $60 for 623 parts is damned reasonable for something with a license.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

anotherblownsave posted:

I really like this. Did you happen to take any construction pictures that I could reverse engineer your build from? (Aside from the ones you've previously posted)

Thanks! I didn't take any pics along the way, but here are some of it broken down a bit...
I can only break it down so far without it completely disintegrating though, as there was so much sandwiching-of-tiny-plates going on.
So these might not be the greatest, sorry
http://i61.tinypic.com/dfdj03.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2ic9o44.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/al4uoj.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2i1pm3r.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/347yzol.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2w1xz0x.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/rmqjwn.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/6dwx20.jpg

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Pretty sure I've had an image of this on my laptop for a while that I got from this thread, well I finally tried to build it:

Just added the controllers and probably inadvertently changed a bit. Props to whoever originally posted this (IIRC), sorry I didn't include your username in the file and I didn't see it in last few pages.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Is there a good resource for finding parts to make minifigs of people or family members? A long, long time ago I made (what I hesitate to call) a vignette for my dad for father's day. It's atrocious and none of the brick colors match and it is very obvious that it was made by a kid who was in elementary school and had access to a tub of LEGO. Earlier last year I discovered that ever since I made it he has kept it on his desk at work.

Since I'm a busy guy now and this would certainly require some planning in LDD, I want to make an updated vignette for him and maybe my brother and mother as well for Christmas. The contents of the vignette would be easy minus the minifigs, since I want them to be kind of accurate.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zodack posted:

Is there a good resource for finding parts to make minifigs of people or family members? A long, long time ago I made (what I hesitate to call) a vignette for my dad for father's day. It's atrocious and none of the brick colors match and it is very obvious that it was made by a kid who was in elementary school and had access to a tub of LEGO. Earlier last year I discovered that ever since I made it he has kept it on his desk at work.

Since I'm a busy guy now and this would certainly require some planning in LDD, I want to make an updated vignette for him and maybe my brother and mother as well for Christmas. The contents of the vignette would be easy minus the minifigs, since I want them to be kind of accurate.

If there is a Lego store near you try it there. Lego Stores have a build a figurine system: you pay (I think 2,99€ here) and pick legs, torso, head, hair/hat, 1 or 2 accessories. They have a huge selection of torsos.

The biggest pick a minfig selection I have seen was at German Legoland when I went there (in the demo factory). I doubt that's an option for you.

Or do you mean a list of parts available?

There is a shitload of figurines here (german only it seems): http://www.toypro.com/de/m/figuren?list=big&fcat=&fscat=&fmcat=&show_sub_cats=true&fcolor=&search=&fitems=100&page=1
you can brose them, click on the name if you like one. Then it will say the set number. Copy and paste this number in the Lego Shop replacement parts order section. If you are lucky the minifig part can be ordered separately if not, you will at least know the design number.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 7, 2015

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Hopper posted:

If there is a Lego store near you try it there. Lego Stores have a build a figurine system: you pay (I think 2,99€ here) and pick legs, torso, head, hair/hat, 1 or 2 accessories. They have a huge selection of torsos.

The biggest pick a minfig selection I have seen was at German Legoland when I went there (in the demo factory). I doubt that's an option for you.

Or do you mean a list of parts available?

I live in Atlanta, so there is bound to be something nearby.

I suppose what I meant was an accessible selection of parts that I could use to, say, decide on a minifig design and then order from Bricklink. But if there is a good selection at LEGO stores that would probably work fine as well.

Brickset has a good list of minifigs but it is hard to determine what line of LEGO figs would have the best "casual wear" torsos for minifig design. Maybe the city figs?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zodack posted:

I live in Atlanta, so there is bound to be something nearby.

I suppose what I meant was an accessible selection of parts that I could use to, say, decide on a minifig design and then order from Bricklink. But if there is a good selection at LEGO stores that would probably work fine as well.

Brickset has a good list of minifigs but it is hard to determine what line of LEGO figs would have the best "casual wear" torsos for minifig design. Maybe the city figs?

Ok then really check here: you can sort the figs by category by clicking on the lines above, should help you search
http://www.toypro.com/en/m/figuren?list=big&fcolor=&fcat=216&search=&fitems=100&show_sub_cats=true

English now

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

No Lego stuff from NYCC yet?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zodack posted:

Depending on how in-depth you want to get with it, I'd try the minifig parts on Bricklink:http://www.bricklink.com/browseTree.asp?itemType=P It's broken down by part rather than full minifigure so it'll be easier to mix and match and you can see who's selling them and for how much right there, but be warned that's every part ever made so some of them might be not available or stupid expensive.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The Build-a-Model Panda figure at Lego Stores now has some useful/uncommon-for-PAB parts:
2x2 white turntable base with 2x2 gray turntable
1x2x1 1/3 black curve brick
1x2 tan brick with 2 studs on the side
Black cheese slope
1x2 white cheese slope
1x1 black round plate
1x1 white round tile with eye
1x2 white plate with 2/3 slope
1x2 white jumper plate

It's been over a week since release, and I still see shelves full of Dimensions stuff. It sure isn't flying off the shelves like Amiibo tends to, but it doesn't seem to be selling all that much at all. I wonder if I'm right and they hosed up their pricing so badly people are passing on it.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Pyroclastic posted:

It's been over a week since release, and I still see shelves full of Dimensions stuff. It sure isn't flying off the shelves like Amiibo tends to, but it doesn't seem to be selling all that much at all. I wonder if I'm right and they hosed up their pricing so badly people are passing on it.

I preordered the base game, a couple fun packs, and the Lego Level pack from Amazon and I'm having some pretty strong buyer's remorse. The game is fun, but it's not $99 worth of fun. The minifigures are cool, and the small builds they come with are kind of neat, but yeah. For what you're actually getting, they are way, way, way too expensive. The thing it's been most successful at is making me really want Portal 3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think they hosed up by making a game that is mostly going to appeal to kids and pairing it with licenses that are mostly going to appeal to adults and then charging so much you can't justify just buying a set for the Legos.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But that's why there's the Lego Movie, Chima and Ninjago packs too..?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
SW advent calender is quite good this year, first one I've ever picked up since it's all OT. Got a jawa, new silver dome R2, printed legs for 3PO and a rebel hoth soldier and another storm trooper. Saved me a Bricklink order

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego's new property is pretty nuts:

http://kotaku.com/future-knights-battle-dark-magic-in-legos-latest-origin-1735352838

Doesn't get much of a reaction from me, though there are some fun ideas in there. The tank castle is inspired.

What does get me is the new parts they're making:

I want a million of those shield tiles in light grey and blue, please.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That book is really nice.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

xzzy posted:

http://kotaku.com/future-knights-battle-dark-magic-in-legos-latest-origin-1735352838

Doesn't get much of a reaction from me, though there are some fun ideas in there. The tank castle is inspired.

Is that a different color trans-orange cylinder than the one used in the Ice Planet 2002 sets?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

The Rage posted:

No Lego stuff from NYCC yet?

Didn't see any special sets, they were mostly promoting their new line.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

xzzy posted:

Is that little pyramid-shaped cheese slope on the front of the blue speeder bike a new piece? I think this line looks pretty cool. Kind of kiddie-warhammer.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I need three of those books and a way to attach a chainsaw to a minifig

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That theme looks like it'll have some interesting pieces.

Also Brickset reviewed the Doctor Who set and I am now sold on it. Also Ideas continues to be a No Stickers Zone.

http://brickset.com/article/17018/review-21304-doctor-who

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

General Specific posted:

Is that a different color trans-orange cylinder than the one used in the Ice Planet 2002 sets?

From the close-up pics, it looks to be the same.

I'm excited. Ice Planet 2002 was my favorite space set growing up, thanks in part to :krad: trans-orange.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also I love how they built this giant dude.

Though I do wish lego would stop using that silver brick color. The swirls look terrible.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'll pass on that line, although the jester does look pretty neat.

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

General Specific posted:

It seems to be the newer trans-orange instead of trans-neon orange, though the knights appear to use neon-oranges. Interesting that they'd mix the two colors in the same set.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dear god, it's like late Classic Space mixed with Castle. I hope this isn't just a one-and-done line like the last couple space sets, it looks amazing.

General Specific posted:

There's trans-orange, and there's trans-neon-orange, which is what Ice Planet used. It looks like the knights use neon orange and that fire catapult thing uses regular orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

tomapot posted:

Didn't see any special sets, they were mostly promoting their new line.

drat, was hoping we'd get a peek at the rumored GB Firehouse.