Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I watched that GN review and thought it weird he didn't compare it to the 3300x or 3100. as impossible to find as they are/were they still turn up in prebuilds a ton and the 12100 feels real competitive there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

WhyteRyce posted:

PC playback has been a minefield since forever and I swear no one actually does it except for the few weirdos left wanting to build HTPCs

Also those few weirdos get very specific models of UHD drives and flash them with hacked firmware to circumvent the DRM and play 4K discs on whatever hardware in VLC anyways :ninja:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

Also those few weirdos get very specific models of UHD drives and flash them with hacked firmware to circumvent the DRM and play 4K discs on whatever hardware in VLC anyways :ninja:

Was that with the Oppo 203/205 or whatever? I almost bought a 205 before it was discontinued and I'm sad I didn't because it was also pretty much the pinacle of audio technology in a disc player too.

Debauer supposedly found two B660 boards that support BCLK OC and a video is upcoming, the era of 33-50% overclocks on logical purchases might be upon us again.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

BurritoJustice posted:

Was that with the Oppo 203/205 or whatever? I almost bought a 205 before it was discontinued and I'm sad I didn't because it was also pretty much the pinacle of audio technology in a disc player too.

Mine's an LG BU40N, a 9.5mm drive usually reserved for laptops and USB-powered enclosures

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Buildzoid explains the washer mod in his typical rambling manner better than anyone else I've seen, putting to rest some misconceptions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezauy4as4lI

tl;dw: The LGA1700 socket loading mechanism bends the CPU IHS due to the sheer amount of downward force it applies in the middle section of the CPU. It's not cooler mounting mechanisms bending the IHS, but the socket itself. This is mostly fine because most CPUs have some form of curve, and cooler cold plates are designed with that curve in mind. However, LGA1700 bends the IHS a bit more than most CPU retention/loading mechanisms, and some of the less curved cold plates can make poor contact with the center of the IHS. The washer mod relieves the loading pressure that causes the IHS to flex, thus resulting in better cold plate contact and better temps. Most coolers should work fine though since they are adequately curved out of the factory. Many people may see very little or no improvement at all because of this. The mod may also result in less reliable contact with the pins which can cause some issues (such as the memory issues some people were running into), though buildzoid speculates that new CPUs/sockets should work more reliably than doing this to a CPU/socket that has already been used for a while (due to the pins compressing somewhat while the cpu is installed)

Huh, not at all what I had guessed. Looks like lapping the IHS wouldn’t really help, either, since even if it were nice and flat it wouldn’t stay that way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

forbidden dialectics posted:

Huh, not at all what I had guessed. Looks like lapping the IHS wouldn’t really help, either, since even if it were nice and flat it wouldn’t stay that way.

Buying a budget motherboard, cutting out just the socket area, and then lapping a mounted CPU is something some overclockers do. It still won't remain perfectly flat when doing this due to the gradual deformation of the pins and CPU over time, but it'll be flatter than it currently is. Just lapping the CPU on its own won't be enough though, no.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

8700k->12700k gave about 50% FPS increase in Cyberpunk and Tarkov with RTX 3080, 2560x1440.

Seems the CPU was a huge bottlenec. WIll have to adjust memory settings later to see if I can get even more perf out of this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ihmemies posted:

8700k->12700k gave about 50% FPS increase in Cyberpunk and Tarkov with RTX 3080, 2560x1440.

Seems the CPU was a huge bottlenec. WIll have to adjust memory settings later to see if I can get even more perf out of this.

Wow, as an 8700k haver (although just a 2070rtx) this is pretty interesting to me.

I stupidly got an ultrawide too so 3440x1440 is p brutal :sigh:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
8700 is a POS. I owned one, I hated it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Why, too spicy without a delid?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That too. I had to delid mine and it was a pain.

The new Asus Z690 Strix A was awful too. Noctua NH-D15 did not fit. Heatpipes made contact with a plastic shroud over the vrm heatsinks above cpu socket. I had to manually remove the insulting piece of plastic with a saw :biglips:

Also Corsair ML140 fans suck. They are dreadfully loud at over 500rpm, while Arctic P12's are good at 800 and 1100rpm for 1/3 of the price.

I am not sure about the exact performance figures, but they are unbelievably better. Seems at least some games were very CPU bottlenecked with a 8700K. I think I need more fans before tweaking with memory settings though, b.die likes to stay cool and with a 3080 and 12700K temps are not so cool inside my case anymore.

I mean I bought 4 new fans but they are so loud I don't want to use them. I need to buy more Arctic P12's...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yup the ML120s that came with my Corsair cooler also were pretty bad (and not just at high RPM). For whatever reason Corsair feels those fans deserve premium pricing.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
I think the stock fan on most mass market coolers leave much to be desired. The stock fans on my otherwise well reviewed EVGA 280mm CLC were atrocious (annoyingly loud at any RPM), and I couldn't stand using the cooler until I bought some 140mm Noctua fans.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Boat Stuck posted:

I think the stock fan on most mass market coolers leave much to be desired. The stock fans on my otherwise well reviewed EVGA 280mm CLC were atrocious (annoyingly loud at any RPM), and I couldn't stand using the cooler until I bought some 140mm Noctua fans.

I feel like any reviewer who gives a cooler that's obnoxiously loud at any normal RPM setting a good score is a bad reviewer.

The EVGA CLC series is notably very loud. It's okay-ish as long as you keep the RPMs under 50%, but even then there are better options out there where you don't have to worry about this. (e.g. arctic liquid freezer, EK AIO)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

The new Asus Z690 Strix A was awful too. Noctua NH-D15 did not fit. Heatpipes made contact with a plastic shroud over the vrm heatsinks above cpu socket. I had to manually remove the insulting piece of plastic with a saw :biglips:

what are your cinebench or blender benchmark all-core temps with the 12700K and D15? I got a D15S (not D15) on mine, keeps things comfortable within spec, but not 'cool'. MSI Pro Z690-A with tower cooler power limits in BIOS, so it'll draw heavy, and temps get to 90 C (machine also has CL16 DDR4-3600 feeding the cpu). Still about 10 C under throttle so I'm ok with it, seems better than some people, worse than others from my googling.

the D15S does fit my mobo just fine, but man, I wish I had mounted the mobo in the case and connected some nearby cables before mounting the HSF. It was a real pain routing the CPU 8-pin connectors in next to that big rear end HSF.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I will have to look at it after work today and post resutls here. What is the difference, S has a single fan when regular version comes with 2 fans?

I'm planning to add 1-2 exhaust fans and maybe 1 intake fan because the CPU is hungrier than my 8700K. 8700K went up to 150W while this 12700K can go up to 200-250W. I will try out my memory's XMP spec (3600/15-15-15) only after improving the case cooling, hopefully next week. Currently I have only 3 14cm Arctic P14 intake fans cooling my 3080 and 12700k :D No other case fans.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's your case?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

I will have to look at it after work today and post resutls here. What is the difference, S has a single fan when regular version comes with 2 fans?

I'm planning to add 1-2 exhaust fans and maybe 1 intake fan because the CPU is hungrier than my 8700K. 8700K went up to 150W while this 12700K can go up to 200-250W. I will try out my memory's XMP spec (3600/15-15-15) only after improving the case cooling, hopefully next week. Currently I have only 3 14cm Arctic P14 intake fans cooling my 3080 and 12700k :D No other case fans.

yeah, and slight differences to heat sink design to make it more widely compatible. details here:
https://noctua.at/en/whats-the-difference-between-nh-d15-and-nh-d15s

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rinkles posted:

What's your case?

Meshify S2. I have the intake foam removed and replaced with much thinner and more breathable mesh fabric. 3x Arctic P14 intake fans idle around 800rpm and 1100rpm under load. It feels like the top of the case especially gets warm/hot, so 1-2 exhaust fans near CPU could help things stay cooler there.

The case is quite small, Torrent would be better, roomier. I just don't like the weird convex roof the case has. Why they can't make it flat?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does the speed of intake fans make much of a difference to temperatures?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Does the speed of intake fans make much of a difference to temperatures?

In theory the air should have multiple pathways to exit the case, and take heat out while at it. So the more air gets pumped to the case, the more air (and heat) exits the case. I have not tested it but I assume it is true. Air (and heat) doesn't move very well unless fans force it to move.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Adding an extra 120mm exhaust fan (making two 120mm fans exhausting) lowered the cpu temp in my lancool 215 by about 2 to 3c under full load. Also it got a lot quieter when I replaced their stock DC exhaust fan with a noctua pwm lol.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Why, too spicy without a delid?

Yeah exactly. Any small system load would ramp temps near instantly. Vroooom Vrooom Vrooom my fans said.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I am running now on DDR2133. After bios upgrade first boot froze to desktop.

CB23 single core was 1817 with this hot rear end memory speed.
multicore at apparently 150W power limit was 19927

I am missing about 10% of perf with current settings, so I need to figure out how memory OC works these days... :v: Or if my sticks even work with the new mobo.

P-cores were 68-74C and E-cores 60-61C. Case fans "Idle" at arouind 850rpm.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I am running now on DDR2133. After bios upgrade first boot froze to desktop.

CB23 single core was 1817 with this hot rear end memory speed.
multicore at apparently 150W power limit was 19927

I am missing about 10% of perf with current settings, so I need to figure out how memory OC works these days... :v: Or if my sticks even work with the new mobo.

P-cores were 68-74C and E-cores 60-61C. Case fans "Idle" at arouind 850rpm.

These are old sticks, I'm assuming? Memory OC is a huge pain. I'd recommend just getting some DDR4-3600 CL16, which can be had for $80-ish for 16GB, and then enabling their XMP profile in your BIOS.

unrelated edit: Update on the whole non-K overclocking thing, apparently at least one B660 board supports it, the Asus ROG Strix B660-F Gaming. It costs about the same as low-end Z690 boards (low $200s), and it's also DDR5-only. So still no truly inexpensive options yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 20, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

unrelated edit: Update on the whole non-K overclocking thing, apparently at least one B660 board supports it, the Asus ROG Strix B660-F Gaming. It costs about the same as low-end Z690 boards (low $200s), and it's also DDR5-only. So still no truly inexpensive options yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUzExonH5TM&t=1s

Z690 Hero
Z690 Apex
B660-F
B660-G

seems to be the confirmed options so far. Wonder how long it will take for a) someone to release a cheaper DDR4 board with this support and/or b) intel to aggressively shut this down.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Why would they shut this down? The number of people who will pass up a more expensive chip over this option has to be the tiniest of blips of the total sales numbers.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Trolling Thunder posted:

Why would they shut this down? The number of people who will pass up a more expensive chip over this option has to be the tiniest of blips of the total sales numbers.

This exact thing happpened before and Intel blew it up real quick last time around. The only difference is that they don't have a complete chokehold over the market anymore.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Trolling Thunder posted:

Intel sells a 6 P-core overclockable CPU, it’s $100 more. They sell an overclocking chipset, it’s ~$60 more. In Intels own lingo, it’s an “enthusiast” feature with a price premium. As discussed in the vid, they have historically swooped down with a fury on any attempts to overclock frequencies on non-k CPUs or with non-Z chipsets. We will see what they do this time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We need a new street champ like the old Celeron 300a.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Cygni posted:

Intel sells a 6 P-core overclockable CPU, it’s $100 more. They sell an overclocking chipset, it’s ~$60 more. In Intels own lingo, it’s an “enthusiast” feature with a price premium. As discussed in the vid, they have historically swooped down with a fury on any attempts to overclock frequencies on non-k CPUs or with non-Z chipsets. We will see what they do this time.

Counterpoint: RAM overclocking on non-Z boards for 10th+ generation processors.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

bobfather posted:

Counterpoint: RAM overclocking on non-Z boards for 10th+ generation processors.

Intel doesn't sell RAM AFAIK. If they did, overclocking it would also be a "premium feature" and they'd sell frequency locked modules.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Cygni posted:

Unlike previously, there is further differentiation in that the 12600k also has e cores, so their market segmentation isn't completely destroyed by this.

Who knows.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I can’t see Intel not squashing this, personally. I mean, allowing ram OC on B/H chipsets was a corporate decision to stay platform competitive with AMD. This non-K OC stuff is something Asus cooked up in secret that bypasses Intels own product segmentation on both CPUs and chipsets. Intel coulda had the 12400 (or B/H boards) unlocked all along, and consciously chose not to.

Think it’s highly likely that future BIOS updates will brick this, but since it’s already out in the wild, probably too late to totally kill it. Good on Asus for stirring the pot and doing something fun again.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
product differentiation is for cowards and if there are significant gains to be made intel should let people goofily overclock their poo poo. they poured liquid fuckin nitrogen on the 3100 for goodness sake intel. be cool about it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The extreme market segmentation lengths Intel goes to is absolutely bullshit, but fundamentally it exists to increase waver yield with binning.

Not that we're likely to ever find out, but it'd be interesting to know how detailed the binning is.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The extreme market segmentation lengths Intel goes to is absolutely bullshit, but fundamentally it exists to increase waver yield with binning.

Not that we're likely to ever find out, but it'd be interesting to know how detailed the binning is.

The 12400, 12500, and 12600 are not the same dies as the 12600k - the first and foremost reason is to exercise price discrimination so they can maximize profits.

Everybody else is doing the same poo poo of course, it's basically business 101.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Market segmentation isn't inherently a bad thing. Be glad that Intel is letting 12900k buyers subsidize everyone else.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

We need a new street champ like the old Celeron 300a.

Most recent Intel street champ was 2600K, IMO. Before that... I want to say the 2.4 or 2.53 Northwood P4s were fairly decent OCs if you had the cooling to keep up (but they also then got their poo poo kicked in my AMD).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

K8.0 posted:

Market segmentation isn't inherently a bad thing. Be glad that Intel is letting 12900k buyers subsidize everyone else.

I mean it's just part of maximizing profits, which at the end of the day is why they exist.

To avoid blowing things out of perspective, even without unofficial oc support, the 12400 and 12100 are already incredible value, at least for gaming only users.