Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

spog posted:

I found it best to run the contacts through a third party program. I forget what I did, but I think sticking them in Outlook.com ended up with something that followed the normal rules of decency.

Yes but all i can export from android is everything, and i want just the local phone contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Gorau posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

I work in remote locations. I am not involved with IT at all. We have a job trailer out in the middle of the bush with two thin pc's letting us access our Remote Desktop, an IP phone and a server rack with a half dozen units that's monitoring some pretty important poo poo. I walk in this morning to find that we have no internet connectivity for the phones or desktops. So I do what any normal person (I hope) would do: I call our help desk (our company does not use tickets for field employees).

A quick talk to our T1 help desk person quickly identified it as a network problem (obviously) and they transfer me to network support. Network support then has me power cycle a few things and every thing is working again. Yay! He then proceeds to chastise and belittle me for wasting his time with what was a simple power cycle. He seems surprised and annoyed that the first thing I did was call the help desk instead of just sticking my fingers into the networking gear and start flipping switches which, according to him, would have saved him from dropping what he was doing to deal with this issue.

Am I being irrationally irritated at his attitude or would you networking guys rather we start flipping switches before we call you?

The network support guy got upset at having to do his loving job?

gently caress him

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Gorau posted:

Am I being irrationally irritated at his attitude or would you networking guys rather we start flipping switches before we call you?

gently caress that guy. Contact his boss and say "This guy said whenever I have a network problem I shouldn't call it in and should just start rebooting things in this rack here. So I'll do that and also pass the word along to anyone else. Thanks!!!!!!!!!"

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
The best part is that I know there are two internet connections into the trailer. One is a normal dsl connection that the desktops, phone and server rack use as well as 150' radio mast that the servers have as a backup in case the wired connection goes down. If I started flipping switches and knocked both connections out it would shut things down for safety reasons and it would cost around $75,000 an hour until things get going again.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Employees dinking about with network gear is a severe issue. No, nobody should expect you to troubleshoot anything other than your PC and phone by powercycling.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Potato Salad posted:

Employees dinking about with network gear is a severe issue. No, nobody should expect you to troubleshoot anything other than your PC and phone by powercycling.

Eh, I have a few customers who have lovely DSL service. 95% of the time if their internet goes out rebooting the modem will resolve it, so I tell them to do that before they call me. Some places I even have a dedicated power strip that the modem and router are plugged in to just so I can have a conspicuous switch that can be easily found by any idiot rather than having to teach them how to find the right cord to unplug.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wolrah posted:

Eh, I have a few customers who have lovely DSL service. 95% of the time if their internet goes out rebooting the modem will resolve it, so I tell them to do that before they call me. Some places I even have a dedicated power strip that the modem and router are plugged in to just so I can have a conspicuous switch that can be easily found by any idiot rather than having to teach them how to find the right cord to unplug.

I was about to ask if anyone else set up big red buttons for the network at very small sites. Its handy because you can have a network reboot button that will cycle everything that may need it, but leave stuff that needs to stay up alone(and not have a random user flicking switches and maybe not even remembering what he did). Only gonna work in if the network is small and simple enough to just bounce without a coordinated power on.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If network guy should be annoyed at anyone for not power cycling it it should be the help desk guy. Standard procedure is to not let end users mess with cables buttons or switches. Having someone just power cycle poo poo without direction from help desk is a recipe for disaster. Especially if there is a nice little button labelled reset in a recess in the back of the router. It is always fun when a user at a remote site sticks a paper clip on that when the internet goes out.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Heh, I wasn't thinking of tiny sites with residential-grade internet and infrastructure.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I was about to ask if anyone else set up big red buttons for the network at very small sites. Its handy because you can have a network reboot button that will cycle everything that may need it, but leave stuff that needs to stay up alone(and not have a random user flicking switches and maybe not even remembering what he did). Only gonna work in if the network is small and simple enough to just bounce without a coordinated power on.

I like this idea and I'm stealing it for our branch offices. Guess I'll try it with something like this that only exposes a single button and doesn't require them to reach around for stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd only consider something that the end users were expected to press when asked after swapping unreliable kit out with better stuff and maybe adding out-of-band management via a cellular connection or even dialling into a terminal. The problem you have is that if you talk someone through power cycling something once to solve a specific problem, they are going to do that whenever any unrelated issue crops up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SEKCobra posted:

Yes but all i can export from android is everything, and i want just the local phone contacts.

This is all dependent on what your manufacturer has done with their particular implementation of Android.

On a Google (Nexus) device there isn't any concept of 'local contacts' they all live in your Google account (or some other connected account like Exchange)

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Gorau posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

I work in remote locations. I am not involved with IT at all. We have a job trailer out in the middle of the bush with two thin pc's letting us access our Remote Desktop, an IP phone and a server rack with a half dozen units that's monitoring some pretty important poo poo. I walk in this morning to find that we have no internet connectivity for the phones or desktops. So I do what any normal person (I hope) would do: I call our help desk (our company does not use tickets for field employees).

A quick talk to our T1 help desk person quickly identified it as a network problem (obviously) and they transfer me to network support. Network support then has me power cycle a few things and every thing is working again. Yay! He then proceeds to chastise and belittle me for wasting his time with what was a simple power cycle. He seems surprised and annoyed that the first thing I did was call the help desk instead of just sticking my fingers into the networking gear and start flipping switches which, according to him, would have saved him from dropping what he was doing to deal with this issue.

No, you did the right thing, I'd take that poo poo right to his boss.

gently caress that guy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anyone got a FortiGate talking to Azure VPN? I'm in a world of endless phase 1 errors at the moment and no obvious reason why.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Anyone got a FortiGate talking to Azure VPN? I'm in a world of endless phase 1 errors at the moment and no obvious reason why.

I think we're working on something like that for one of our clients. If we get something similar I'll let you know.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'd hate to be the guys on call on Memorial Day at time Warner since half of the east side of the US is down. Oops!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

What firmware version are you running?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

5.4 on a 50E which is great because the documentation hasn't been finished yet. It's working now though after giving up on the GUI and doing everything in the CLI.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That was going to be my exact suggestion. 5.4 does some strange things when setup with the GUI right now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bigass Moth posted:

I'd hate to be the guys on call on Memorial Day at time Warner since half of the east side of the US is down. Oops!

Pour one out for all the homies on call this weekend

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, I had no issues with it. Each of our offices connect to Azure, we just used the wizard.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo pissing me off: Our coffee machine has an expert mode where you can change default settings for the various beverages. Someone keeps changing the amount of coffee to tiny portions.

What makes you think I can survive on 40ml cups of coffee? :argh:

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

My home DSL connection is out since yesterday morning and the hotline of my service provider seems to be over capacity. What pisses me off is that after 30 minutes in queue you get a message "Sorry, all our agents are still in conversations, we end this call to not use more of your time, please try again later". In my opinion that is horrible customer service, at least let me register a call-back instead of just kicking me off. Phone companies are the worst at support. (Just for fun I called the order hotline, 1 minute hold-music and I had an agent on the line)

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
"Hey the weather's actually awesome for a change and the office is moderately warm, can you go and set the AC to rear end blastingly cold?"

1. This is a facilities issue
2. It's not that hot

Of course none of the staff who'll go and change the settings are in, so it'll land on me to do and get bitched because the temperature has changed by 1°c

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Super Slash posted:

"Hey the weather's actually awesome for a change and the office is moderately warm, can you go and set the AC to rear end blastingly cold?"

2. It's not that hot

Of course none of the staff who'll go and change the settings are in, so it'll land on me to do and get bitched because the temperature has changed by 1°c

If there might be electricity involved, it must be IT.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

If there might be electricity involved, it must be IT.

Several years ago I was asked to connect to a "smart toaster" and reconfigure it to stop toasting for certain people who were "Abusing the toaster". :iiam: why people think that "having an optical sensor tied to firmware that tells the thing to pop when it hits a certain brown rating" means "that things got a USB port and responds to human commands and can recognize each person pressing the button down to toast things".

I didn't even ask the woman how people were "abusing the toaster". She probably found crumbs in it, or something. :v:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
IT people have been asked, earnestly, to clean up bathrooms and replace light bulbs.

Short of the janitor, is there a job more likely to be the catchall for "I don't know who's responsibility this is, but I know whose problem I'm going to make it"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

2. It's not that hot

We have an outside company do maintenance / cleaning and none of them can figure out our old rear end HVAC system. It's like really old. Runs on win98 looks like it was designed for 3.1, uses a 56k to talk to the hardware. Thankfully the hardware remembers all the settings so the computer is just to change them. UI is terrible have a mapping of VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 for different things. Literally called that for "security" They don't even match the air handlers and are in a random order.

It's such a mess to troubleshoot during switch over. Finally got the AC working though! First it was too cold so I set it to 75f, now its too warm back down to 73f when it was set to 74f on Friday. Can we just follow the notes and set it to 70f? I hate this drat thing. We were going to pay someone to fix it over the weekend when I asked to do a walk through just to not pay Holiday pay. CEO and Purchasing manager are the ones that normally switch it over so I go on a nice tour. I found a valve set to "closed winter" instead of "open summer". Can I have the money I saved on a holiday call into my budget?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Arsten posted:

Several years ago I was asked to connect to a "smart toaster" and reconfigure it to stop toasting for certain people who were "Abusing the toaster". :iiam: why people think that "having an optical sensor tied to firmware that tells the thing to pop when it hits a certain brown rating" means "that things got a USB port and responds to human commands and can recognize each person pressing the button down to toast things".

I didn't even ask the woman how people were "abusing the toaster". She probably found crumbs in it, or something. :v:

Did you pull out your phone, push a few buttons, and say, "All set."?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

IT people have been asked, earnestly, to clean up bathrooms and replace light bulbs.

Short of the janitor, is there a job more likely to be the catchall for "I don't know who's responsibility this is, but I know whose problem I'm going to make it"

There's a reason whenever asked what I do for a living I respond with "computer janitor."

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Did you pull out your phone, push a few buttons, and say, "All set."?

I said, and I quote, "I am not allowed to discriminate on the basis of toasting preferences. Have a good day."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What cracks me up the most is that people are shocked to find out that IT isn't their personal slave labor. Some idiot went to the helpdesk the other day and was ordering a few of my guys around. He let them know that they would be un-assembling cubes for the rest of the day.

:agesilaus: You have no authority over my employees, they aren't going anywhere.
:bahgawd: I was tasked by the CFO to do this, he won't be happy.
:agesilaus: I doubt the CFO had my guys in mind for this heavy manual labor. That stuff is too heavy, call an outside company to do it. Its probably not very safe for amateurs to do that sort of work.
:bahgawd: If you just let me do my job we would be halfway done by now.
:agesilaus: Find other labor. I am not taking the helpdesk offline to be anyone's construction crew or moving men.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Also that kinda touches on another idea - people either believe that namedropping the CFO (or any executive) will make others cower, or they honestly believe that the CFO is a single minded psychopath who will fire entire departments if his every whim isn't catered to.

"The CFO told me to do this!!!"

Flash forward 30 minutes:

:bahgawd: Hi CFO, I wasn't able to do the cubicle move because Sickening wouldn't assign his guys to it
:phone: The what? Oh, yeah, I forgot I even asked you to do that because it turns out I'm doing 700 other things and all of them are more important than moving cubicles. Why did you bring this to me?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Hey Ants, get me a price to achieve this thing!"
"Ok sure, it's £xx"
"Hmm well head of dept won't be happy, they'd only allocated £xx/2 for this!"

Er, great? Come back when you have more realistic budgets. How does the person requesting something alter what it costs?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

When I did desktop support I didn't mind lending a second set of hands to the maintenance crew if they were short and needed help moving something, or if it was just one person trying to move a table. I helped the electrician fix a wiring issue in a classroom since he just needed a second set of hands. Those are all reasonable requests.

As for unreasonable requests... I've had teachers ask me to help move desks and chairs to set up their classroom for instruction. I've had teachers ask me to troubleshoot their overhead projector. I've had teachers ask me to photocopy AND build packets for them.

We had a teacher threaten to sue and file a union complaint because she broke two laptops in a row and we said we would not be giving her a new one unless she covered the cost of repairs, which was $900 from HP, and she had signed a contract agreeing to these terms after breaking the first one. We ended up giving her the oldest laptop we had on the shelf, thrown together from spare parts, and said "Have fun!". Last I saw she was using student workstations most of the time because it was so slow.

I am so glad I no longer work IT for a school district, yet some days I long for the 35 hours per week and being able to mentally check out every afternoon...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Also that kinda touches on another idea - people either believe that namedropping the CFO (or any executive) will make others cower, or they honestly believe that the CFO is a single minded psychopath who will fire entire departments if his every whim isn't catered to.

"The CFO told me to do this!!!"

Even better at a family-owned business.

"My dad wants me to run some reports..."

"If you don't get this done I'm telling my uncle."

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Even better at a family-owned business.

"My dad wants me to run some reports..."

"If you don't get this done I'm telling my uncle."

Yeah I'm never working at a family-owned business for that reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah I'm never working at a family-owned business for that reason.

Most of the companies I've worked for have been. The thing that's different about this one is that about 12 family members work here and it's the only place I've worked at where they say MY DAD instead just referring to the owners by their first names. Unprofessional as gently caress.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Not pissing me off: We wanted to get a maintenance kit for another site's printer. They print several thousand pages a month on it. Currently being used for this task is a home inkjet. The fix is to just replace the tray apparently that's the kit. Great it's a $20 fix for a printer has an expected duty of 400 pages / month. I found a black and white laserjet that was on sale for $200 on CDW, we are actually replacing the lovely printer. I think the duty cycle expectancy being quoted got it approved. Or it was just why are we using a piece of poo poo when the real solution is so affordable.

I hate that site. It's out of the country and they buy their own solutions all the time. Thankfully I don't have to touch the stuff physically. Any time hands are needed there we have a local MSP that we pay by the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Pissing me off: Other people

Why yes mr sales guy, IM me about an issue. I don't have my status set to "e-mail helpdesk@company.com for assistance with issues" or anything. Twice.

Hi Mr infrastructure guy who makes probably double what I make. Did you know GPOs can conflict? YOU DIDN'T? :o: What do you mean the client is mad cause you tried to fix an issue they told you not to touch because it'd cost them more? :negative: The guy is the epitome of "gently caress it, Do It Live"