Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sardonik posted:

I'd prefer her to win too, but I don't believe for an instant that the district has changed enough in the last two years for her to do better than the last Dem who ran in TX-21, Kopser who lost by 2 points. She's a significantly weaker candidate than Kopser and I full well expect her campaign to mostly be a consultant grift.

This is pretty much how I feel as someone who lives in TX-21. I'm in Bulverde/Spring Branch though, which is super red.. There's been a lot of growth around here, but not enough to offset. Not for probably 6 or 8 more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That pledge is really creepy. Just about as creepy as the pledge to support Israel they make you sign as a state employee if you have any influence over contracts.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

oh for sure, this is all meant as a distraction from abbott completely failing the virus response and spending all this time sucking off trump

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's insane to me that trump can't even give out more trumpbux, the one thing that could possibly benefit him

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

i say swears online posted:

it's insane to me that trump can't even give out more trumpbux, the one thing that could possibly benefit him

Imagine if Trump had done that and instead of letting Parscale waste almost a billion of campaign funds on poor decisions, a fraction of that went to send masks to every American household.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's hard to weigh the gratefulness of people for having their needs paid for by the government in a time of intense duress against the one surviving principle aside from racism and the weird death cult of personality that Republicans hold dear: People facing hard times must suffer.

Like they justified the last package by calling it a "stimulus" under the pretense that they'd "get the economy started again" after barely stopping it and doing nothing about the underlying issue, and sweetened it by pissing out a bunch of money to the wealthy and big business, but still they're intensely uncomfortable about the idea of just helping people who need help.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
the gop already accepted that deficits only matter when dems are in power, they could have just given everyone money until december and cruised to victory.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

the gop already accepted that deficits only matter when dems are in power, they could have just given everyone money until december and cruised to victory.

totally agreed. if trump told mitch to make it rain, it would have happened

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It ain't Trump, it's Mark Meadows

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KVUE/status/1304041941059993603

Oh good Another Thing

https://twitter.com/meganmmenchaca/status/1303915840211910656

What percentage of students are on campus right now

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 10, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just found out my dad is working for the Mike Siegel campaign as the editor for his television advertising. That's cool.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

It ain't Trump, it's Mark Meadows

sure but trump can sit meadows and mcconnell down in a room together and tell them to turn on the spigot and theyll just cut medicaid or whatever to make it happen

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/szonajaxfop/status/1304018479469801472

Head of the Jacksonville FOP

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG
How exactly do you bypass Austin anyway?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

nivdes posted:

Cities in Texas have been trying this through this whole crisis. It's not easy to do when the governor is useless.

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

saintonan posted:

Cities in Texas have been trying this through this whole crisis. It's not easy to do when the governor is useless.

I mean physically

If you're traveling north-south through Texas you have no way of bypassing Austin without adding a considerable amount of time (and tolls) via SH 130.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

edit: nvm

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://twitter.com/BreezyOC1/status/1304099134756933632?s=20

also i told that cop to shut the gently caress up and my account was instantly restricted

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

nivdes posted:

you go through louisiana

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the Florida Man cop from a city with fewer people but double the number of murders this year doesn’t know wtf he's talking about

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nivdes posted:

we're not even on i10

Austin is the hypotenuse of the Texas populated area

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 10, 2020

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sir Tonk posted:

https://twitter.com/BreezyOC1/status/1304099134756933632?s=20

also i told that cop to shut the gently caress up and my account was instantly restricted

I complimented him by calling him a sweet delicate flower and didn't get restricted. Maybe be nicer to people for a change??

nivdes posted:

Take 45 between Dallas and Houston, or 10 between Houston and El Paso, or if you're in Dallas going to SA on your yearly alamosexual pilgramage then you can meander through some 75mph backroads infested with old trucks doing 55 for a while.

e: does bastrop have food

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Marxalot posted:

Take 45 between dallas and houston, or 10 between houston and el paso, or if you're in Dallas going to SA on your yearly alamosexual pilgramage then meander through some 75mph backroads infested with old trucks doing 55 for a while.

Who does Dallas<>Houston via Austin? That just sounds like a dumb idea to get going without an explicit purpose of stopping in Austin.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The hill country route from Austin to San Antonio is very pretty if you have the time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, franklins is absolutely not worth the wait

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You basically wouldn’t ever go through Austin UNLESS you’re traveling north-south through Texas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Laredo to St. Paul Cannonball Run

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You basically wouldn’t ever go through Austin UNLESS you’re traveling north-south through Texas

And only then if you're coming from like, idk the loving panhandle to the coast. Or going from Dallas to Laredo.

e: looked at map, panhandle doesn't really work unless you wanted it to

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Also, franklins is absolutely not worth the wait

It was absolutely worth the wait. I wouldn’t sit there by myself, but it’s 100% worth drinking beer with friends for 3-5 hours, ending with the best brisket and ribs on the planet.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

You can go to Lockhart and get BBQ that's just as good without killing your entire day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You could drive to Coopers in Llano and back in the time it takes you to get through the Franklin's line

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If the best BBQ in the world was a 10 and every 10 required half day wait times while the next tier down in quality didn't require that wait --I'd take the 9 every time.

Or just bulk order the 10 ahead of time and pick it up and eat with everyone at home.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

zoux posted:

What percentage of students are on campus right now

17% of the student body or about 8500 horny drunk kids (tx trib).

I've been having to follow UT's covid response closely for work and they're doing more than most schools but I cannot wrap my head around the insistence on attendance for the games.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

17% of the student body or about 8500 horny drunk kids (tx trib).

I've been having to follow UT's covid response closely for work and they're doing more than most schools but I cannot wrap my head around the insistence on attendance for the games.

https://twitter.com/rebekahallen/status/1304113066137747456

https://twitter.com/thedailytexan/status/1304058042921541632

https://twitter.com/thedailytexan/status/1304043815691595782

So: rapid tests only for students, but it's impossible to determine an infection rate (positive tests/over all tests given, there you go UT) and there are at least three covid clusters somewhere on west campus right now. Seems fine.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
I always find it amazing that people state that Franklins is "the best". It's pretty good, don't get me wrong, but if you weren't sitting in line drinking the entire experience would flat out suck and as others have said, there is really good BBQ that's only a minor drive out of town.

The thing I love about going out to Lockhart is you can hit up multiple spots to get, so, much, bbq.

Smitty's as you walk in and right next to their open-air pits, it'll be hard to pass up on much but do not pass up on their beef ribs and if you plan on hitting multiples, I wouldn't really bother with their brisket; it's good, don't get me wrong.

Kreuz Market has the brisket on lock, their pork ribs are also done really well. They don't believe in sauce, so it's all on the meat.

Black's after all the family drama has really lost a notch, if you want Black's just go over on Guad if they're still there and it'll be pretty similar to what you'd expect in Lockhart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Franklin's is in downtown Austin so all the tech bros and conventioneers hit that one up, also it was #1 on Texas Monthly's annual rankings for like 5 years. It's the one they've heard of. That's fine the real heads know where that good rear end barbecue is: Bill Millers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1304134414121791499

lmao this wouldn't pass the legislature under the current composition

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Given how convoluted our state constitution is, I wouldn't be surprised if that was straight up unconstitutional to even attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fact that he started with property tax sanctions and ended up at annexation authority leads me to believe that's the most constitutional penalty they could devise.

It doesn't matter, all this poo poo is gone on Nov. 4, especially if the House flips. The cities and local municipalities of Texas will be the biggest winners under a split Legislature, not just because they' won't pass local-killing tax policies, but also because conservative leadership will stop beating up on cities and start beating up on the criminal Democrat house.

https://twitter.com/EngelsAngle/status/1304139380018352132

Sounds like a real serious proposal. Also, love that Bonnen, a dude who will be a private citizen in exactly 4 months, is there to comment on what the House will do next session.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 10, 2020