Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

who's going to tell him no

pirate king ghidorah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
In counterance to the minority who've sent death threats to Horikoshi or expressed ill will in his direction, people have created #PLUSULTRAforHorikoshi on twitter. Now since they aren't directed anywhere, I doubt he's actually seeing them, but the thought counts.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New OP and ED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDP8PZhVc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKRkWpf9qWg

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm surprised this chapter is what's causing all the anger. I feel like the past couple of chapters were doing way more to try and explain away a bunch of Endeavour's actions, but not so much in this one.

It’s been boiling for a while with people getting worried that Endevour‘s actions would be whitewashed but I think the current prejectory seems to be ok as it’s clear that whatever win he’s getting it isn’t going to be without cost and possibly with him being depowered and/or disgraced

After all, Horikoshi had a storyline about YouTubers at a point where no one would have cared if he clowned on them and he did some pretty great stuff with it.

A little patience and trust is required, me thinks.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Aaand It's gone!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I enjoyed the first thirty seconds of the OP before I got bored of it and went back to Alestorm

Never really been one for anime OP/EDs - only ones I watched literally every episode was for Kobayashi's Dragon Maid since it was ridiculously catchy

Otherwise it's usually one-and-done

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
MHA’s have always been below average anyway, except for Sora ne Utaeba or however it’s spelled.

Only long running series I can name with consistently great openings was Bleach, which doesn’t seem fair.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheTrotsworth/status/1017963407327162369

I wonder how much property damage his childhood was filled with

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Oxxidation posted:

MHA’s have always been below average anyway, except for Sora ne Utaeba or however it’s spelled.

Only long running series I can name with consistently great openings was Bleach, which doesn’t seem fair.

Asterisk is still far and away my favorite OP song. Still sort of amazing to me that once upon a time I had to scour the internet to find the full song and now, like just about everything else, it's only a click away on YouTube.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

MHA's soundtrack is sort of like Berserk in that way; the song everyone remembers and instantly thinks of whenever they think about the show isn't actually the OP or ED at all.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I have no clue who the creepy no-nose goggle person is in the new OP, so I'm guessing it's a filler character. Which is weird since we seem to just be going straight into the provisional exam. Maybe the rescuees?

Liking the new OP though. ED is a bit meh.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't say either the opening or ending did much for me but it's MHA, for some reason it never gets songs as good as it deserves. The day has not come yet, I guess.

The day has come, though, for another Shonen Jump crossover! And it has Deku in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKERVwqr0o

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

happy birthday, deku

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is an incredibly long and incredibly lazy trailer.

Character! Special attack da!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Most of the OPs and EDs are relatively average which is kind of a bummer. I suppose it could be worse and be a Black Clover situation where the OPs/EDs are like the only good thing about the anime.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

i love it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i have never heard a take less comprehensible to me than "the OPs for MHA are average/bad"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't really care for them either tbh

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I dont think they're bad at all, and I actually quite like all of them as songs on their own but they don't ever quite match my expectations as far as stuff I'd imagine for a show full of bombastic super-powered fights and heady determination.

Basically I'd like something a bit heavier and hot-blooded for once, ya know?

E: this one gets close at times but then just kinda veers off into earworm easy listening again and it just doesn't have the right punch to it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 14, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There's more to what makes an op good/bad than the music.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

not everything can be as good as bleach's op

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I have no clue who the creepy no-nose goggle person is in the new OP, so I'm guessing it's a filler character. Which is weird since we seem to just be going straight into the provisional exam. Maybe the rescuees?

Liking the new OP though. ED is a bit meh.

Yeah, I have no idea who that is supposed to be and it's really bugging me. Maybe you're right and a filler character to give some of the other students someone to fight.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Patware posted:

i have never heard a take less comprehensible to me than "the OPs for MHA are average/bad"
The only MHA OP stuck in my head is Peace Sign, which started out as kinda eh to me but grew on me to the point I really liked it. I don't remember any of the EDs outside of the one from LiSA with the great volume-extra digression ED. I was hoping they'd keep the tradition and do the Martial Arts extra this time but ah well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kild posted:

not everything can be as good as bleach's op

Bleach’s OPs were so much better than Bleach

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Peace Sign a lot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
To be fair to Odd Future, it's a really good song that got absolutely butchered in the OP.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

To be fair to Odd Future, it's a really good song that got absolutely butchered in the OP.
The full version is way better.

MHA doesn't really have a big OP that I want to go back and ever rewatch/listen to again outside of Peace Sign. All 4 of Black Clover's OPs are pretty good to great IMO, and their picks for EDs are way more listenable too (the first and second EDs in particular are great). I think in general the overall story symbolish/foreshadowing in MHA's OPs are way better but in terms of style Black Clover's are pretty good...hilariously the third OP (which is fantastic) has better animation than 85% of the entire series run.

Most of Bleach's OPs were great, and the ones I liked the best were from the absolute shittiest filler arcs.

I dunno, I like the louder/more energetic rock OPs even if they're kinda buttrock. Something like the stuff from Beat Crusaders, BACK-ON, MAN WITH A MISSION, Bump of Chicken, etc would be nice. I was more excited for Uverworld because I was expecting something like Colors of the Heart but it just wasn't quite that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Odd Future is good if only for the part where All Might is angrily powering up hitting me right in the feels every time

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Vigilantes is out

They're smuggling drugs through the crab trucks! And now Pop Step is stuck in a rampaging robot crab!

It's kind of a bummer that new Vigilantes chapters are released on the same day as the anime, so any discussion about it usually gets buried under anime talk.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Agree on bleach ops, Houki Boushi is the best bleach OP song and coincided with the best arc

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rhonne posted:

New Vigilantes is out

They're smuggling drugs through the crab trucks! And now Pop Step is stuck in a rampaging robot crab!

It's kind of a bummer that new Vigilantes chapters are released on the same day as the anime, so any discussion about it usually gets buried under anime talk.

I'm starting to like Crab Cop.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The guy who set the robots loose was the one who retrieved the Queen Bee right?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The guy who set the robots loose was the one who retrieved the Queen Bee right?

I think so. His quirk is pretty weird. It's like some kind of pulling quirk or something? He was able to pull the bee out of mid air with it and steak crab cop's gun with it too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Peace Sign is the best.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder how characters with animal-based Quirks feel about the animals they're based on

Imagine being half-spider with Arachnophobia

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Horikoshi saw the Bakugo's play time.

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1018481386703876096

Tr: I laughed. Amazing!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/JimLee/status/1018571849968463872

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Suho_Wsauce/status/1018775575924576256
I love all the tropes that MHA plays with

It's such a stupidly good series

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Rhonne posted:

New Vigilantes is out

CRAB BATTLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The big thing that MHA does is make me wish the main casts of other series could get the chance to actually hang out.

Like it'd be cool to see the Strawhats actually just hang out as a crew in something other than the stressful crew splits/fleeing sections or the more common " everyone is in traction from the arc ending fight" sections