Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Megazver posted:

I mean, we like you, but I think we all agree we want more Witcher 3 DLCs more.

I'm sure you'd get an excellent gravestone, though.
just one giant tity card bas relief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Just finished HoS and started NG+ death march. This time when I got to the Inn in White Orchard, I noticed Gaunter immediately, and he was framed so obviously. I cant wait to pick up all the stuff I didnt notice first time.

https://youtu.be/x29UZ7UjaRQ at about 8:36 to 8:40 in this clip.

Also Gaunter is such a horrible... thing
That half smile on his face all the time is sickening.

Such an amazing game gently caress me

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Lilbeefer posted:

Just finished HoS and started NG+ death march. This time when I got to the Inn in White Orchard, I noticed Gaunter immediately, and he was framed so obviously. I cant wait to pick up all the stuff I didnt notice first time.

Also Gaunter is such a horrible... thing
That half smile on his face all the time is sickening.

Such an amazing game gently caress me

I'm replaying it again too and it actually sent a chill down my spine when I saw him.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Note to people playing through for the first time and trying to do as many sidequests as possible: On Skellige, if you do the King's Gambit sidequest, you will be unable to do Stranger in a Strange Land and the Cave of Dreams sidequests, which are apparently pretty cool. :( I learned that after it was too late, so make sure to do those first.

Also, the Flesh for Sale sidequest can't be activated on Skellige if you finish the Follow the Thread sidequest you get in Novigrad (which most people will do before ever going to Skellige).

Edit: Also if you're running around and see some "event" happening around you, basically always stop and check it out or risk it being gone forever when you come back later.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lilbeefer posted:

Non-sarcastic protip: if you press the share button, you can tick the Start at: box and give the url to the exact timing you want people to watch! It's quite useful, I do it all the time.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
You guys are the real monsters.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

You guys are the real monsters.

Chop chop, suicide by gamedev, we want a 30 hour Nilfgaard DLC.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Megazver posted:

Chop chop, suicide by gamedev, we want a 30 hour Nilfgaard DLC.

gently caress that, Zerrikania or bust. Witchering in the world of the Arabian Nights would be amazing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

gently caress that, Zerrikania or bust. Witchering in the world of the Arabian Nights would be amazing.

I disagree. Half of what made Witcher 3 good was Poles making a game about Poland and the depth that came from that. Even Skellige was like that because Poles have a lot of history with the northern peoples. Zerrikania on the other hand they have almost zero source material to lean on and barely any insight into the lands that inspired it beyond what they could studiously, but superficially learn just for the game. I think HoS showed it. The band that came for the prince was okay-ish, what we saw of it, but the two Zerikkanian NPCs that we got were probably the most boring conversations there are to be had in the game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Megazver posted:

I disagree. Half of what made Witcher 3 good was Poles making a game about Poland and the depth that came from that. Even Skellige was like that because Poles have a lot of history with the northern peoples. Zerrikania on the other hand they have almost zero source material to lean on and barely any insight into the lands that inspired it beyond what they could studiously, but superficially learn just for the game. I think HoS showed it. The band that came for the prince was okay-ish, what we saw of it, but the two Zerikkanian NPCs that we got were probably the most boring conversations there are to be had in the game.

Yeah they were very stereotypical fantasy Arabs. "Oh yes effendi, I have many fine wares to show you." The Witcher does miserably medieval Europe well and should stick to it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

mcbexx posted:

That's been my desktop wallpaper for quite some time now...
Open in new tab and remove the "m" from the file name for 1920x1200 version...

drat, this image immediately took me back to that scene. The Witcher 3 surpasses The Last of Us when it comes to powerful storytelling.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah they were very stereotypical fantasy Arabs. "Oh yes effendi, I have many fine wares to show you." The Witcher does miserably medieval Europe well and should stick to it.

I don't blame them for it. What else could they have done? I do suspect they felt forced to include some because of the previous brouhaha in Polygon, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You guys did the baron quest differently than I did, apparently. I found his daughter first and did everything before going to the bog. Once I was there I sided with the crones and killed the tree demon. Kids were eaten but Anna wasn't turned into a monster or anything, just mind broken. I joined up with the baron to get her back and then opted to let strenger take his wife to he mountains for help rather than let the witch hunters have her. lot more than just two ways to finish that quest it seems.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Arcsquad12 posted:

You guys did the baron quest differently than I did, apparently. I found his daughter first and did everything before going to the bog. Once I was there I sided with the crones and killed the tree demon. Kids were eaten but Anna wasn't turned into a monster or anything, just mind broken. I joined up with the baron to get her back and then opted to let strenger take his wife to he mountains for help rather than let the witch hunters have her. lot more than just two ways to finish that quest it seems.

That's exactly how I did it. I know there's 1 obvious other way to do it, but is there more than 1?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

qbert posted:

That's exactly how I did it. I know there's 1 obvious other way to do it, but is there more than 1?

There's three outcomes. Side with the tree spirit, the children are saved but Anna dies and the Baron hangs himself. Side with the Crones, the children are eaten, Anna is mentally broken, Baron goes off on a potential fool's journey of redemption. Side with the tree spirit BEFORE working with the Crones, the children are saved, Anna is mentally broken and the Baron goes off on a journey of redemption. But the third option is arguably sequence breaking and you'd be very unlikely to know to do it on your own on a first playthrough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll have to try that last one. Seems I've been doing a fair bit of sequence breaking anyways, meeting Roche before Zoltan or Dijkstra send me to him for their respective quests.
Are there any mods that change the level progression so I don't become e hideously overpowered? I ended up doing most of the novigrad quests at levels 17-19 when the majority of the story related quests were for 11-14

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I think one of the things we do very well is handling sequence breaking in a logical and consistent manner. At least, I sure as poo poo hope we do it well, because it's a fuckload of work.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
GDC16 Trailer - Behind the Scenes of Cinematic Dialogues in 'The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt'

I think one of the things we do very well is handling sequence breaking in a logical and consistent manner. At least, I sure as poo poo hope we do it well, because it's a fuckload of work.

Was the "free the tree horse before you visit the crones and you get the better ending for both the children and the wife" thing on purpose?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

I, for one, really loving appreciate this kind of stuff.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Crappy Jack posted:

There's three outcomes. Side with the tree spirit, the children are saved but Anna dies and the Baron hangs himself. Side with the Crones, the children are eaten, Anna is mentally broken, Baron goes off on a potential fool's journey of redemption. Side with the tree spirit BEFORE working with the Crones, the children are saved, Anna is mentally broken and the Baron goes off on a journey of redemption. But the third option is arguably sequence breaking and you'd be very unlikely to know to do it on your own on a first playthrough.

Kinda wondering about this:

So no matter what I do, is Crow's Perch and by extension Velen completely hosed and under the thumb of completely irredeemable folks, or does the Baron come back at some point?

I went past the drat tree before finding the bog, if only I'd known :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Megazver posted:

Was the "free the tree horse before you visit the crones and you get the better ending for both the children and the wife" thing on purpose?

I don't know, but in my own personal experience I typically design one or two different paths; we keep to a very strict design philosophy that the world needs to be logically consistent. If there's no good reason to put a lock on a door, we try not to do it. If it doesn't make sense for a character to just despawn until certain arbitrary conditions are met, we don't despawn them. And what's cool is that we're getting better at it, though it's very labour intensive.

A question for you guys, have there been any good games in the last 2-3 years that do quests like us? I've missed a ton of games in recent years and I'm wondering if there's stuff I didn't see. Doesn't need to be narratively deep or in the same style, I just mean, really complex scripted stuff.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 25, 2016

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Capn Beeb posted:

Kinda wondering about this:

So no matter what I do, is Crow's Perch and by extension Velen completely hosed and under the thumb of completely irredeemable folks, or does the Baron come back at some point?

I went past the drat tree before finding the bog, if only I'd known :(

Geralt is just one man, and one man can't save all of Velen from itself. Philip Strenger either dies or leaves Velen. Geralt never finds out if he comes back or not, it's not covered in the game or its epilogues.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I don't know, but in my own personal experience I typically design one or two different paths; we keep to a very strict design philosophy that the world needs to be logically consistent. If there's no good reason to put a lock on a door, we try not to do it. If it doesn't make sense for a character to just despawn until certain arbitrary conditions are met, we don't despawn them. And what's cool is that we're getting better at it, though it's very labour intensive.

A question for you guys, have there been any good games in the last 2-3 years that do quests like us? I've missed a ton of games in recent years and I'm wondering if there's stuff I didn't see. Doesn't need to be narratively deep or in the same style, I just mean, really complex scripted stuff.

I can't think of any recent fantasy type rpgs with the depth of writing you guys have for your side quests. The most commendable thing I can say about The Witcher 3 is every time I go to do a quest of any kind in it that quest is interesting. It might be some minor contract or relatively unimportant side quest but it's always well written and rarely straightforward.

I played Dragon Age: Inquisition recently and while there is a lot that is awesome about that game its side stuff pales in comparison to yours. The main quest and characters are written well enough but there's tons of side quests that are the equivalent of collecting bear asses for a guy and that's all there is to the quest. Nothing is ever that straight forward or lazy in The Witcher.

This might be the best compliment I can possibly give but I haven't played a game with this much engaging side content since Baldur's Gate 2.

I'd love it if other RPGs took a page out of your guys' book and wrote their games that way but I imagine it requires a lot of effort and planning and that might run counter to the desire to churn out a game quickly.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Megazver posted:

GDC16 Trailer - Behind the Scenes of Cinematic Dialogues in 'The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt'

I don't think it was. When I did it it seemed like there was some disconnect between the two outcomes joining and it didn't feel like something the devs intended at all.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Divinity: Original Sin comes to mind. I don't think it managed to anticipate every single potential instance of sequence breaking, but I remember being pretty impressive by how gracefully it accounted for going to places before being sent there by a quest without blocking those places off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you'd said last six years I'd suggest new Vegas, but drat that game came out in 2010. Still set the standard for consistency in open world games to this day. I'd say that it is superior to Witcher 3 in that respect but only because that game makes a point to tell you how all the different factions interplay with each other. It's an exercise in world building while Witcher 3 obviously focuses more on personal stories and character development

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Anyone know how feasible a mod which swaps out Geralt's signs for Ciri's abilities? Ciri's combat was probably the most fun I had (in combat) with the game.

Yes, I know that you can change your character to ciri using the console mod, but you get locked out of the rest of the game mechanics for it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Alpha Protocol might be one of the most reactive RPGs ever. Age of Decadence apparently has an insane amount of ludicrously branching writing attached to a four out of ten grogfest. The first Shadowrun rpg is forgettable and okay to skip, but Dragonfall and Hong Kong are really good, even if the structure is more or less that of Mass Effect 2. Way of the Samurai 4 is apparently worth playing for research, even if it's janky as gently caress. Dark Souls 1-2 and Bloodborne are master classes in environmental storytelling. Divinity: Original Sin's writing is goofy D&D session with your buddies at best and, quite frankly, I wasn't that into it, but they did a very impressive job of letting you do anything without breaking the game. Sunless Sea is 10/10 delicious writing trapped in a 5/10 tedious misery grindfest. The Secret World is a delicious urban fantasy RPG trapped in an MMO. Undertale is... much more clever and intricate than you'd think.

The branching in the Telltale games is mostly illusionism, but they're still pretty good - Tales from Borderlands, Wolf Among Us and the first season of The Walking Dead are considered their current best. Life is Strange is in the same vein. Until Dawn very cleverly solves the problem of danger in horror games by giving you eight protagonists to potentially slaughter. They don't branch, but Wadjet Eye Games' adventures are loving rad - check out Technobabylon and Blackwell Legacy (the latter is an earlier title and takes a bit to get going, but it's worth it). Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment warped the classic point-and-clicker solve-a-puzzle-to-get-the-next-bit-of-story gameplay of their previous titles into pretty much being a Holmes Simulator. Not everyone loved it but I did and it might give you some inspiration for your investigation quests. Her Story is very, very clever.

There are so many text games to mention. So many. Inkle is doing great work. The Rock Paper Shotgun darling 80 Days just came out on PC and so did Sorcery 1 and 2 (out of four). The first Sorcery is so-so, but 2 and 3 do very, very cool things. There's been a lot of cool games released in Choicescript. Check out The Choice of Deathless and Tin Star. There is too much interactive fiction to mention and I am afraid I am somewhat behind on it myself, but if you're interested in game writing and story space design, you should probably subscribe to Emily Short's blog and maybe try out the top few voted games in the last five years' IFCOMP.

I assume you've played Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Fallout: New Vegas.

:effortless:

Anti-Hero posted:

I don't think it was. When I did it it seemed like there was some disconnect between the two outcomes joining and it didn't feel like something the devs intended at all.

Yeah, that's why I asked. I'd love some inside insight on it from someone who wrote it.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 25, 2016

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you'd said last six years I'd suggest new Vegas, but drat that game came out in 2010. Still set the standard for consistency in open world games to this day. I'd say that it is superior to Witcher 3 in that respect but only because that game makes a point to tell you how all the different factions interplay with each other. It's an exercise in world building while Witcher 3 obviously focuses more on personal stories and character development

Yeah, I'd agree.

Also if you want to go even further back something like Alpha Protocol was excellent for always adapting to the way you play it and changing dialogue etc to reflect that. I don't even want to think about how much work must have gone into that. Shame the game on top of it was an a complete mess and it was basically unfinished. Look at anything by Obsidian really.

Actually thinking about AP and NV got me thinking - these were released years ago. It's a shame few big games have tried to be so adaptive since then. I feel like the industry has just gone off in a different direction. I hope the Witcher makes other devs realise the potential there.

In other news, I'm really intrigued by this new Cyberpunk game that's in development. Is the idea to have an RPG with the depth of the Witcher in a sci-fi setting? Because that would be loving amazing.

e: Hah, beaten on AP.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I worked on AP. :)

Good suggestions, thanks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Age of Decadence is really good actually and is a good example of this kind of thing.

Also I have to admit I found it a bit jarring when I blundered into a Temerian commando hideout (because of the big sign outside saying TEMERIAN COMMANDO HIDEOUT HERE) and Geralt immediately grumbled "where's Roche" when I had no idea he was supposed to be there. I can only imagine how weird that was for first-time players.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

ThomasPaine posted:

Actually thinking about AP and NV got me thinking - these were released years ago. It's a shame few big games have tried to be so adaptive since then. I feel like the industry has just gone off in a different direction. I hope the Witcher makes other devs realise the potential there.

It's a shame but it makes sense. A studio doesn't want to pay for the creation of 100% of content when a vast majority of its users will only hit ~60% of it or whatever. But there is that allure for players that they aren't just on a one-way rail to the exit. That's why so many games' "branching" is largely superficial. It would be great if W3 taught other studios the lesson that people will pay for the ability to make meaningful choices.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

:worship:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Wait, you worked on alpha protocol? That's my third favourite game ever, behind ultima vii and the witcher 3...

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Crappy Jack posted:

I accidentally did the third one because i stumbled upon it while i was exploring question marks on the map. Had no idea it was related to the bigger quest. Just sort of stumbled into the "best" option.

I have had the "collect a unique card from the inkeeper in the kingfisher" quest bugged since i got it. I have played and beaten him countless times but I always just get the regular "play gwent with an innkeeper" dialogue rather than the quest "i'll give you my card if you beat me" one. Any solutions on console?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do the characters ever wonder how strange it is that their likenesses are being used in gwent decks?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do the characters ever wonder how strange it is that their likenesses are being used in gwent decks?

No, nor that people who really shouldn't be known by the rest of the world, have them. There's a mod for that if it annoys you.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/975/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I totally did the tree quest before Crones on my first playthrough. When you explore the map early it's very likely to happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No, nor that people who really shouldn't be known by the rest of the world, have them. There's a mod for that if it annoys you.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/975/
Oh I'm not annoyed by it. I actually find it hilarious that Zoltan is collecting them like they're baseball cards and banking on them being hot button items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Looked through my steam library and no, not that i've played. Dragon Age tries and while it's generally somewhat complex and with open-ended outcomes, i feel it falls flat because it's just not very well written or acted. And unless other RPG developers start to put equally as much effort into their writing (lol nope) you have ruined the RPG genre for me you monsters