Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

train simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Petey posted:

can anyone explain to me what racaniello is tilting at windmills about, here? like i genuinely can't tell what he's on about, if this is just academic pedantry, or if there is something behind it.

https://twitter.com/profvrr/status/1420725164430569472

My beef is that VRR was cheer leading the CDC's decision to drop NPIs and for people to go back to regular life if you're vaccinated, and now he's trying to thread the needle in saying that the higher transmission is due to those factors? He's loving wrong, either due to being a press release reader for Biden's CDC, or in how the virus works. He's big on the whole "viruses mutate to become less lethal overtime" and on a previous episode early this year, the TWiV gang was walking on eggshells trying to gently tell him that hey, sometimes we learn more in science. But he sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant individual and so it's no surprise that he's stubbornly dying on this hill. "It's not more transmissible, I say as case numbers reach 300K daily in September!!!" One way or another and I have lost virtually all respect for him and Daniel Griffin.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Testvan posted:

lmao at the people stating their intention to travel during August
they have no loving idea lol

My wife's mom was supposed to fly up at the end of august to meet her new grandkid. She's vaxxed and good about wearing a mask so a month ago I wasn't super concerned about this idea but now I'm just kinda hoping we can push it off until the end of September when hopefully this wave will have gone down and also maybe she'll have had a booster because I'm not sure if I can get the trip completely called off without also getting a divorce.

Same for the soon to be great grandpa that I posted about yesterday. He had COVID last fall and is vaxxed but now he's in and out of the hospital and a nursing home instead of being at his own home like he was a month ago but also is deteriorating quickly and probably is going to pass in the next few months so it's a hosed up situation where we're gonna have to figure out how to let him at least see his first great grandkid before passing. I'm just hoping as hard as I can that he recovers enough to be sent back home for a few weeks in August because he isn't going to be leaving the house if that happens so he'd be able to basically be in quarantine and would wear a mask if we ask him to.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Also:

Universal masking is essential, according to the leaked CDC documents. But the CDC is quite a bit far from recommending universal masking!!!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Crazyweasel posted:

so why is UK dropping off?

I mean I guess it has to be that everyone is getting delta and the spike was a lot bigger, just a lot of asymptomatic or minor symptoms not getting tested?

maybe don't break out the euphoniums just yet

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Imagine threatening someone with divorce and poverty because they got a free shot that will likely prevent them from accidentally hospitalizing or killing you.

quote:

Some people in Missouri are getting vaccinated in secret to avoid backlash from loved ones

The Covid-19 vaccine has become so polarizing that some people in Missouri are getting inoculated in secret for fear of backlash from their friends and family who oppose vaccination, a doctor told CNN on Wednesday.

"They've had some experience that's sort of changed their mind from the viewpoint of those in their family, those in their friendship circles or their work circles. And they came to their own decision that they wanted to get a vaccine," said Dr. Priscilla Frase, a hospitalist and chief medical information officer at Ozarks Healthcare in West Plains, Missouri
"They did their own research on it, and they talked to people and made the decisions themselves," Frase told CNN's Anderson Cooper. "But even though they were able to make that decision themselves, they didn't want to have to deal with the peer pressure or the outbursts from other people about them ... 'giving in to everything.'"

In a hospital produced video, Frase said one pharmacist at her hospital told her "they've had several people come in to get vaccinated who have tried to sort of disguise their appearance and even went so far as to say, 'please, please, please don't let anybody know that I got this vaccine.'"

Frase told CNN if a patient asks for privacy to get vaccinated, the hospital tries to accommodate the request -- whether at the drive-thru window or at their cars.
"Anything we can do to get people in a place that they're comfortable receiving the vaccine," Frase said. "It's not a large number, but every single person that we can reach who wants to get vaccinated and we can provide that for them, that's a win. And we take every win that we can get."

The doctor's assertion reflects the dramatic polarization of the Covid-19 vaccines and the extent to which vaccine skepticism has hardened into vaccine refusal.

Studies of the three authorized vaccines have shown that they are not 100% effective but nevertheless provide strong protection against infection and severe illness. The vast majority of people hospitalized and dying of Covid-19 are unvaccinated, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said.

Still, a Kaiser Family Foundation poll released earlier this month found that most people who'd made firm decisions one way or the other about their vaccination plans back in January hadn't budged since. Of those who were unvaccinated at the start of the year, only about 8% had changed their minds, the poll found.

Missouri has 41% of its population fully vaccinated against Covid-19, which ranks 13th-lowest among all US states, according to the CDC. The state has had some of the highest rates of new cases per capita in recent weeks as the coronavirus has preyed upon the unvaccinated.

Unvaccinated patients are getting sicker quicker

Frase said her hospital had 33 patients admitted with Covid-19 as of Wednesday and she's expecting that number to rise.

"The patients that are coming in are generally younger than what we saw before. It's more people requiring a lot more oxygen, a lot quicker," Frase said.

"The majority of people we've admitted have not been vaccinated," she added.

"The biggest thing that I think has been shocking for us is, back in the fall, in the winter, it took us four months to get to our peak admitted patients, which is around 22. It's taken us 30 days to exceed that and be up to 33 today." Frase said.

And it's not just Frase's hospital that is dealing with an influx of patients in Missouri.

The CoxHealth health system said it's expanding morgue capacity in due to an increase in Covid-19 related deaths.

"We've actually brought in a portable piece of technology that allows bodies to be cooled and placed outside the morgue. We have had to expand that because the mortality has gone up so much lately," CoxHealth President and CEO Steve Edwards said during a news briefing in Springfield-Greene County Tuesday.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/29/health/vaccines-in-secret-missouri/index.html

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from the schadenfreude thread, it's that you're not dead so long as the shoes stay on

Does that mean I die every night at 5:00? :ohdear:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Deceptive Thinker posted:

All of the CVS and Walgreens around here have a sign up that says "FREE COVID-19 VACCINATIONS, NO APPOINTMENTS NEEDED"

I mean, would you trust anything in America to be free, especially if there is a sign?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Crazyweasel posted:

so why is UK dropping off?

I mean I guess it has to be that everyone is getting delta and the spike was a lot bigger, just a lot of asymptomatic or minor symptoms not getting tested?

There’s a few theories floating around
1. it’s genuinely burning itself out
2. fewer people are getting tested for various reasons
3. it’s school holidays
4. everyone deleted the app that was pinging them to let them know they were exposed to a case
5. the government has started to manipulate the numbers

so, who knows, give it a couple of weeks to see where the numbers go.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

MooselanderII posted:

My beef is that VRR was cheer leading the CDC's decision to drop NPIs and for people to go back to regular life if you're vaccinated, and now he's trying to thread the needle in saying that the higher transmission is due to those factors? He's loving wrong, either due to being a press release reader for Biden's CDC, or in how the virus works. He's big on the whole "viruses mutate to become less lethal overtime" and on a previous episode early this year, the TWiV gang was walking on eggshells trying to gently tell him that hey, sometimes we learn more in science. But he sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant individual and so it's no surprise that he's stubbornly dying on this hill. "It's not more transmissible, I say as case numbers reach 300K daily in September!!!" One way or another and I have lost virtually all respect for him and Daniel Griffin.

why Griffin? he has been much more circumspect on recent episodes, and has been not using the T word out of respect for VRR but basically saying "yeah, people are getting infected more easily, getting sicker faster, more contagious"

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

rub a drop of shaving cream into the lens with a cloth and it wont fog up

Mr. Pizza posted:

swimmers have this trick with goggles where you rub baby soap on the inside glass and gently rinse it off without touching, air dry.

thank you kindly, i will try these :tipshat:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

If your goggles ever fog up in public just take your goggles and respirator off and spit into the goggles and rub it around

lol, as if i would take my gear off in public

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Helith posted:

There’s a few theories floating around
1. it’s genuinely burning itself out
2. fewer people are getting tested for various reasons
3. it’s school holidays
4. everyone deleted the app that was pinging them to let them know they were exposed to a case
5. the government has started to manipulate the numbers

so, who knows, give it a couple of weeks to see where the numbers go.

it’s also possible that it burned through one area and hasn’t exploded in all the rest yet. people in Indiana might be able to deny that anything is happening and refuse to wear masks or avoid crowds when only Arkansas has full hospitals and everyone knows someone either sick or dead, but once that starts happening in Indiana (which it will) people get scared and stay home.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Petey posted:

why Griffin? he has been much more circumspect on recent episodes, and has been not using the T word out of respect for VRR but basically saying "yeah, people are getting infected more easily, getting sicker faster, more contagious"

Mainly because he uncritically parrots CDC guidance, particularly with the masks, often to the point where he contorts himself into similarly absurd positions. For example, school's can open safely under 3-4 conditions (not unreasonable...except when you consider than the conditions can't be implemented due to costs in many school districts) and children are safer in school than at home (because they might hang out with each other). On that latter point, he had a bit where he transitioned from repeating that the CDC is a science based organization, kids are safer in school than at home, but transitioned into telling a story about kids learning outside who went in for snack time, where infections arose. He did not pause for a second in saying "yeah, you gotta do it outside where you can!" and did not realize how absurd he was sounding.

I don't mind him on the hard medical treatments for the post infection phases, that's more his wheelhouse than epidemiology anyways.

az
Dec 2, 2005

My friends partner went on a week long cruise yesterday. I told him that's pretty brave re: pandemic and got a lecture about how we can't just hide at home forever, gotta live life again yknow. She was already laid out with sea sickness a few hours later and Idek what to say.

Meanwhile my ex still refuses vehemently to let our 14yo get vaxed because Facebook university says it's dumb and fake and causes blood clots and she as a cancer survivor can't risk it etc aaaaaaaah

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Imagine threatening someone with divorce and poverty because they got a free shot that will likely prevent them from accidentally hospitalizing or killing you.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/29/health/vaccines-in-secret-missouri/index.html

Throw this on the "something is deeply broken in our culture" pile with the rest.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

az posted:

My friends partner went on a week long cruise yesterday. I told him that's pretty brave re: pandemic and got a lecture about how we can't just hide at home forever, gotta live life again yknow. She was already laid out with sea sickness a few hours later and Idek what to say.

Meanwhile my ex still refuses vehemently to let our 14yo get vaxed because Facebook university says it's dumb and fake and causes blood clots and she as a cancer survivor can't risk it etc aaaaaaaah

Take them on a "Daddy Day Trip" to CVS.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
I was wondering how many people might get infected at lollapalooza and was playing with a (silly) epidemic simulator

Obviously just playing around but .. over a R of 4 it is just wild how quickly poo poo hits the fan.

I really think the high R of delta combined with the short incubation->infectious window is really gonna shine in these multi day festivals; might get several doubling periods out of sturgis this year.

People just cannot comprehend exponential growth; I thought it would be fun to see how many crochet balls a Ri of 8 would be with 10 initial cases over 9 generations

Ri=1.5 is 256

Ri=2.5 is 15259

Ri=8 is 167 772 160

167 million cases.

It's 11 loving thousand of them

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
Delta's faster incubation time probably means some people will catch COVID on the first day of the fest and start spreading it on the last day! Just in time for people to head home. In other circumstances the faster incubation time might lead it to burn out faster, but instead it's going to help maximize how many people can get infected at all the super spreader events we're holding around the country.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

All of the CVS and Walgreens around here have a sign up that says "FREE COVID-19 VACCINATIONS, NO APPOINTMENTS NEEDED"

Weird how people, especially poor people may have been burned by Free!!!* offers in the past.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

I’m so sick of trying to convince the people I care about not to loving die from a preventable disease
lol I wrote them off long ago

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pillowpants posted:

I’m so sick of trying to convince the people I care about not to loving die from a preventable disease

Death is only 99% preventable and you might need a booster shot at some point. Whereas, the chance of you getting the NWO microchip to track your movements and becoming infertile is 100%.

Also, when other people die, that isn't me and it doesn't count.

So, if you think about it, you have to weigh the odds and it just doesn't make sense.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Death is only 99% preventable and you might need a booster shot at some point. Whereas, the chance of you getting the NWO microchip to track your movements and becoming infertile is 100%.

just the flu bro

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

big number day

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Chris Hedges talks a lot about crumbling societies death drive and desire for self annihilation and I always kind of understood it but I never really understood it. Well I do now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Infertility via injection would be a goddamned godsend technology
how would they keep that secret

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Google Butt posted:

nice +10 defense u fuckin nerd

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

vaccines are REQUIRED unless your religion is trump and also you can't ask anyone if they are vaccinated

So, don’t vax don’t tell

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys should all vacation to the upper Midwest where case counts are minimal and you don't have to worry

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lady at work says the delta being as infectious as chickenpox is no big deal because you hardly see chickenpox anymore due to vaccines. She is unvaxxed of course.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

You guys should all vacation to the upper Midwest where case counts are minimal and you don't have to worry

Did this twice before things exploded in the UP, 100% would recommend going back in time and vacationing to rural-ish areas before things Got Really Bad Again

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Lady at work says the delta being as infectious as chickenpox is no big deal because you hardly see chickenpox anymore due to vaccines. She is unvaxxed of course.

no, come on

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

Did this twice before things exploded in the UP, 100% would recommend going back in time and vacationing to rural-ish areas before things Got Really Bad Again

im going to the UP tomorrow :coolfish:

hell, illinois is at 1543 average cases on 7/29/21 and on 7/29/20 was at 1412. im probably gonna do some risky chicago poo poo right before school starts

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

lol. lmao.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thoguh posted:

And uninsured people, rightly based on their experiences in the past, assume there is a big catch and they'll get a bill after the fact for the vaccine being free but not the needle or some poo poo like that.

lol our country is getting hosed because we let CVS and Walgreens trick people with "Free Flu Vaccine!*" signs for years.

Shifty Pony has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Jul 30, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The lady thinks covid is God's judgement wiping sinners from the earth so :shrug: lmao

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos

Also, when other people die, that isn't me and it doesn't count.

So, if you think about it, you have to weigh the odds and it just doesn't make sense.

So what is the political party that you support planning on fixing this?

Oh, nothing? Ok, cool, thanks for keeping us updated

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mr Hootington posted:

it was bring your wife to work day?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

This has all been about as surprising as water flowing downhill if you can just accept both parties and their institutions are lying to you in their own special way as to not spook Mr Market. So naturally about 80% of americans are losing their goddamned minds.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

keep thinking about the cdc director and other high-rankers quitting back in may

they knew what was coming. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I have to go teach in the covid mines here again in a couple weeks. I don't think I can get by with a respirator without getting fired. What masks should I wear to not die? I also need some for my kids because school is obviously going to be open and in person because covid is over.