Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

priznat posted:

Also it’s pretty common for governments to give incentives to start up factories in places, as long as it is done intelligently (ie not like Foxconn in wisconsin). $52B is a great investment to bring fab capacity back.

I have done a little looking but haven’t found anything - did Taiwan subsidize the various tsmc expansions over the years? It would not surprise me and it was a great investment on their part both economically and from a security perspective. I’m sure for the various intel fabs around the world (malaysia etc) there were some significant incentives to move there apart from the cheaper workforce.

Republic of Korea's government is invested in Samsung's success at almost state-owned enterprise levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SourKraut posted:

M2's design has probably been finalized for at least 12-18 months based on normal CPU architectural timelines.

You should really read up more before making absurdist statements.

Edit: To provide more background, Apple and TSMC are already evaluating M3 on TSMC's 3nm process, so I don't think anyone should be worried about M2's status.
I don't think there's an overabundance of people who know how much work goes into making a modern CPU.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

canyoneer posted:

Republic of Korea's government is invested in Samsung's success at almost state-owned enterprise levels.

No doubt. A solid investment too! Samsung has really come a long way in doing their own chips in a short time.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

mobby_6kl posted:

The main advantage, which is more money for apple, is still there.

But yeah it seems beside the singe core efficiency where Intel is pushing the P cores too much, it's a big improvement and up to par with the M1.

Sure, Alder Lake is legitimately good at CPU-only compute throughput benchmarks. But that's the metric Alder Lake was designed to be good at, while M1 Pro/Max were not. You can look at specs and die photos to figure out what each company prioritized.

For Intel, it was lots of CPU cores - most of the die is CPU. For Apple, it's GPU. M1 Pro's GPU is significantly larger than all its CPUs put together. M1 Max doubles the Pro's GPU size, and has a GPU-scale memory controller to match (512 bit wide LPDDR5, 400GB/s). The Max floorplan looks like a discrete GPU with some CPUs tacked on the side.

If Apple wanted to make a M1 family chip to compete head to head with Alder Lake, they could do it. M1 "Firestorm" P cores have Golden Cove tier performance, but their area and power are more similar to Gracemont. A hypothetical M1 Alder Lake killer would just sacrifice half (or more) of the GPU in favor of bumping the P core count to 16. (Or more - if they wanted to really dunk on Intel's CPU throughput numbers, they could push it to at least 24 P cores without using more power than Intel.)

But that's not what they built. For better or worse, Apple's pitch to developers is that heavy compute tasks should be ported to Metal Compute to unleash the GPU. Or if you need some standard thing like a FFT or big matrix multiply, don't code it yourself, call the appropriate Accelerate library function and get the Neural Engine or AMX accelerators into the picture. Apple provides a ton of different accelerators, and intends you to use them. For things which can't or won't (because cross platform code) be adapted to use them, they're just shrugging and living with it. They've still got enough CPU performance to do reasonably well.

You say M1 is mostly about money, but it really isn't. These are not economy designs. Every M1 family chip has been much bigger than the x86 chip it replaced, and despite using the best (most expensive) TSMC process nodes, they build them as giant monolithic devices instead of breaking less important stuff out into a separate I/O die the way AMD does.

The freedom to design SoCs like this is really what it's about. Apple was able to influence Intel's product design to some extent, but that only went so far - Intel always compromised with what PC OEMs like HP and Dell wanted. Intel management also generally suffers from x86 monopolist brain, so they've always been reluctant to focus on anything which isn't a x86 core. (Just look at how long it took them to make a serious push into discrete GPUs.)

VorpalFish posted:

Would be awesome if someone used 1250u UP4 config to make a legit fanless x86 alternative to the MacBook air.

Really interested in seeing how performance scales down to 2+8 in a 9w envelope.

My prediction: it won't be nearly as good as the M1 Air outside of multithreaded throughput benchmarks, which is not really what you buy a fanless computer to do. The thing which is really unique about M1 is that desktop-class single thread performance costs about 5W per P core. Neither Golden Cove nor Gracemont can do that.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

how much should i care about my 12700k hitting intermittent points of throttling in cinebench? 1-2 seconds a couple or so times per render in the 2nd half of the test. what are the real world implications of this?

my cooling setup is an NH-D15 w/ A15 + F12. I couldn't fit both A15s due to my ram being too tall. my only guess at this point is that i did a bad job with the thermal paste. i did the 5 dot method that noctura recommended in their manual for the new alder lake chips.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Too Many Birds posted:

how much should i care about my 12700k hitting intermittent points of throttling in cinebench? 1-2 seconds a couple or so times per render in the 2nd half of the test. what are the real world implications of this?

Unless your "real world" use is to run Cinebench all the time, or spend a lot of the day doing large rendering projects...basically nothing.

You could try repasting if you really wanted to, but if you're not noticing issues in actual real world (for you) usage, then who cares?

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

okay, just needed to see someone else say it i guess.

i'll play some games and do my normal photo editing stuff and see what happens, i imagine i won't ever hit that 100c limit doing those.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The D15 is supposed to be able to handle the 12700K's 190W heat loads, but it's somewhat close to the edge of what it can effectively cool. With Alder Lake CPUs, I believe the thermal throttle point with that cooler is typically somewhere around the low 200 watt range. Environmental factors such as higher ambient temperature or bad case airflow can lower that figure. Thermal paste can also be an issue, but I wouldn't worry too much about that if you really put five dollops of the stuff on there. The cooler coldplate doesn't cover the entire processor actually, so you can try to peak under the heatsink with your phone camera or something and see if there's paste oozing out the sides—if there is, you're good. Inadequate mounting pressure can also result in slightly-too-high temperatures. You could try giving the screws an extra turn. But the most obvious factor is the one we already know: the fan. The NF-F12 is unlikely to be as good as the front fan the D15 ships with, so I would try finding a way to mount that instead. The D15 fan clips are designed such that you can mount the fans higher up on the cooler if necessary. Are you sure there's no way at all to mount it?

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The D15 is supposed to be able to handle the 12700K's 190W heat loads, but it's somewhat close to the edge of what it can effectively cool. With Alder Lake CPUs, I believe the thermal throttle point with that cooler is typically somewhere around the low 200 watt range. Environmental factors such as higher ambient temperature or bad case airflow can lower that figure. Thermal paste can also be an issue, but I wouldn't worry too much about that if you really put five dollops of the stuff on there. The cooler coldplate doesn't cover the entire processor actually, so you can try to peak under the heatsink with your phone camera or something and see if there's paste oozing out the sides—if there is, you're good. Inadequate mounting pressure can also result in slightly-too-high temperatures. You could try giving the screws an extra turn. But the most obvious factor is the one we already know: the fan. The NF-F12 is unlikely to be as good as the front fan the D15 ships with, so I would try finding a way to mount that instead. The D15 fan clips are designed such that you can mount the fans higher up on the cooler if necessary. Are you sure there's no way at all to mount it?

paste is oozing out the sides. and i might have gone too gingerly with screwing down the cooler.

there is just no room for the front 140mm. if i got some low profile ram, which would save me 8mm, i might be able to fit it then. can't place it further up because of my case size, i probably should've gone for the mid-tower meshify vs. the compact, i really wasn't thinking when i mashed order on some of this stuff.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's fine!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My concern would be whether it gets too loud, even if it’s not throttling

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

compared to my last build, this thing is a mouse even when it gets "Loud."

Too Many Birds fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 10, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Too Many Birds posted:

compared to my last build, this thing is a mouse even when it gets "Loud."
That's pretty much what you're paying for with Noctua.
They make excellent products, and they know it - and they know that people will pay for it.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Honestly consider setting tau.to like 20 sec instead of infinite so it actually enforces the 125w PL1 limit. You'll probably lose less than 10% performance for an almost 35% reduction in power consumption which will make the thing way easier to cool.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

my cooling setup is an NH-D15 w/ A15 + F12. I couldn't fit both A15s due to my ram being too tall. my only guess at this point is that i did a bad job with the thermal paste. i did the 5 dot method that noctura recommended in their manual for the new alder lake chips.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

if a non-oc'd 12700K is thermal throttling with a D15 under cinebench, something is installed wrong or your case airflow sucks balls.

I have a D15S (single fan, slightly lesser cooling power) on a 12700K and can complete cinebench r23 without coming close to thermal throttling. max temp in the low 90s. XMP'd RAM in gear 1 and no power-saving stuff turned on, either.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Or their ambient temps are a few degrees higher. Low 90s is very close to the edge.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Too Many Birds posted:

paste is oozing out the sides. and i might have gone too gingerly with screwing down the cooler.

there is just no room for the front 140mm. if i got some low profile ram, which would save me 8mm, i might be able to fit it then. can't place it further up because of my case size, i probably should've gone for the mid-tower meshify vs. the compact, i really wasn't thinking when i mashed order on some of this stuff.

Mounting pressure is extremely important, you should be screwing it down as tight as you can with your hands (not with a wrench or electric screwdriver). A light mount could be causing your issues.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

alright. i'll get back into the case today and see what i can do.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

I reapplied the paste, tightened down the heat sink real good, and I am no longer throttling in Cinebench, but it did get close. I'll call that a victory. I think if I had a larger case, I could add the 2nd 140mm and I'm sure this wouldn't have been an issue from the start.

At this point I can either add more fans to the case or I can learn how to undervolt I guess? I am completely clueless when it comes to this poo poo.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

I reapplied the paste, tightened down the heat sink real good, and I am no longer throttling in Cinebench, but it did get close. I'll call that a victory. I think if I had a larger case, I could add the 2nd 140mm and I'm sure this wouldn't have been an issue from the start.

At this point I can either add more fans to the case or I can learn how to undervolt I guess? I am completely clueless when it comes to this poo poo.

if you really are brand new at this, I hate to say it but, make sure all the fans are blowing air in the appropriate direction

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i was more referring to the processor side of things but helpful, thank you.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

i was more referring to the processor side of things but helpful, thank you.

roger that, not trying to offend. it's just not obvious when mounting a noctua. you can reverse an asymmetric D15S mount direction, reverse a fan, all that really easily. I had to make sure after I installed it that I didn't swap something on accident.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i did install the inner CPU fan wrong initially, fixed that the 2nd day after i built the PC :v:

all the case fans came factory from fractal (two intake, one exhaust) and they all are pointed in the right direction. from the little research i've done into case fan configurations, the general rule is to have more intake then exhaust? 2 to 1, 3 to 2, etc? or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Too Many Birds posted:

i did install the inner CPU fan wrong initially, fixed that the 2nd day after i built the PC :v:

all the case fans came factory from fractal (two intake, one exhaust) and they all are pointed in the right direction. from the little research i've done into case fan configurations, the general rule is to have more intake then exhaust? 2 to 1, 3 to 2, etc? or is it a bit more complicated than that?

The main reason for this is to create a positive pressure inside the case. This prevents air from entering the case at every tiny gap bringing dust inside the case through unfiltered entry points. Beyond that you just want to establish an air flow direction. For today's cases that's generally in from the front and/or bottom, and out through the back and/or top. There are other setups possible but those are the general ways to go that 90%+ of situations call for.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's great! Stop fooling around with it! It'll never throttle in game if it's fine on cinebench!

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

LRADIKAL posted:

It's great! Stop fooling around with it! It'll never throttle in game if it's fine on cinebench!

i know i know, but i'm kind of having fun thinking about what could be improved, from a standpoint of having a good time and seeing numbers do things.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Too Many Birds posted:

i know i know, but i'm kind of having fun thinking about what could be improved, from a standpoint of having a good time and seeing numbers do things.

https://i.imgur.com/WKYkQo8.mp4

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Too Many Birds posted:

As long as you're aware that you're chasing tiny gains, that's cool with me. I do the same thing, I just try not to kid myself.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/RealTimeKodi/status/1493783218285264896

be careful out there folks

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
a -80 mV undervolt on a mobile 11900H should be fine long term right? It's passed the various stress tests I've thrown at it so far.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
An undervolt is not going to hurt anything long term. I supposed as the system normally degrades it might need more power later, but it won't be because of the undervolt.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

beautiful

I want one of those now

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
so scammers want to talk to people who don't know what they're doing, that has been hypothesized as to why the terrible spelling email spam forward has persisted for so long. you don't wanna get smart people who know things about nigeria because it might ruin the scam, so you deliberately (or "deliberately") spell it terrible, include a bunch of weird errors, claim there is a monarchy in nigeria (i don't think there is) and stuff like that. it acts as a kind of clever person baffle; people who would never send money don't ever interact with obvious scams. people who would, do.

that's what i thought of when i saw those CPU images

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CoolCab posted:

so scammers want to talk to people who don't know what they're doing, that has been hypothesized as to why the terrible spelling email spam forward has persisted for so long. you don't wanna get smart people who know things about nigeria because it might ruin the scam, so you deliberately (or "deliberately") spell it terrible, include a bunch of weird errors, claim there is a monarchy in nigeria (i don't think there is) and stuff like that. it acts as a kind of clever person baffle; people who would never send money don't ever interact with obvious scams. people who would, do.

that's what i thought of when i saw those CPU images

Look at the thumbnails or the category breadcrumbs :ssh:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Boat Stuck posted:

a -80 mV undervolt on a mobile 11900H should be fine long term right? It's passed the various stress tests I've thrown at it so far.

If anything, the undervolt will keep the chip healthier in the long term.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
hey guys, computer knowledge lacker here. Like many people, I'm getting manic over Elden Rings specs, and compared my i7 to the minimum required cpu in it's system reqs.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400/3887vs3939

Can someone explain to me why my cpu is technically worse but apparently much more expensive?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

hey guys, computer knowledge lacker here. Like many people, I'm getting manic over Elden Rings specs, and compared my i7 to the minimum required cpu in it's system reqs.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400/3887vs3939

Can someone explain to me why my cpu is technically worse but apparently much more expensive?

You have a 4 core CPU, the game wants a 6 core CPU. Your i7-7700 is a generation older than the i5-8400.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I saw that, why is it more expensive? Whenever I upgrade my mobo and cpu I'm going to have to find someone to just tell me what to buy.

e: How much would a reasonably decent mobo/cpu cost me? Nothing too insane, but I've recently upgraded my PSU and GPU and if it's not terribly expensive, might as well finish the job. Current Mobo is ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS (LGA1151). e: Will probably just post a rundown over in the PC parts thread later.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 17, 2022

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I saw that, why is it more expensive? Whenever I upgrade my mobo and cpu I'm going to have to find someone to just tell me what to buy.

e: How much would a reasonably decent mobo/cpu cost me? Nothing too insane, but I've recently upgraded my PSU and GPU and if it's not terribly expensive, might as well finish the job. Current Mobo is ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS (LGA1151). e: Will probably just post a rundown over in the PC parts thread later.

Used prices can be a bit weird but if I had to guess the price difference would be down to where they fall in the product stack for their generation. Both use socket 1151 but the boards are not compatible. So if you have a kaby lake motherboard and are looking to upgrade your CPU without replacing your motherboard, the 7700k or 7700 is as good as you're going to do.

On the other hand if you're looking to do the same with a coffee lake board, you're probably looking to the 8700/8700k, not the 8400.

Imo trying to hold on to either board in that situation is a fools errand imo, but I can kind of see why the 7700 is more "desirable" for the specific group locked in to considering that gen CPU.

Right now the gaming value king if you want at least 6 cores is going to be the 12400 paired probably with a ddr4 b660 board somewhere in the $120-$140 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I saw a guy building a 11400F system, when the 12400F (and the B660 mobos) are right there with a massive +55% in CB23 MT score at the same price.

mind loving blown