Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/school-district-warned-parents-foster-care-wouldn-t-let-me-n1033271

School district in PA threatens parents who owe lunch money that they're going to send their kids to foster care.

Offers from other people to pay off the debt for the school district are met with a "no thanks". I hope these assholes get crucified by public opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Didn't child protective services already say "Awww HELL no" to this?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

a mysterious cloak posted:

Didn't child protective services already say "Awww HELL no" to this?

Yeah, they were pretty pissed their department was more or less weaponized by the school board.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bamhand posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/school-district-warned-parents-foster-care-wouldn-t-let-me-n1033271

School district in PA threatens parents who owe lunch money that they're going to send their kids to foster care.

Offers from other people to pay off the debt for the school district are met with a "no thanks". I hope these assholes get crucified by public opinion.

What is the motivation for not accepting other people's donations? Are they trying to shame the parents as much as possible and the money isn't even the real issue? Sounds like loving assholes on a power trip.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

cinni posted:

What is the motivation for not accepting other people's donations? Are they trying to shame the parents as much as possible and the money isn't even the real issue? Sounds like loving assholes on a power trip.

I mean, what other possible explanation could there be?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

cinni posted:

They want "certain folks" to not send their kids to the school and this is one of the levers they can use to achieve that.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
The Cruelty Is The Point

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

cinni posted:

Accepting money to cover all back fees is a tacit approval of the behavior that is being punished. You don’t want the school to look weak, do you? The beatings will continue until society improves and provides free meals to all students!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Azathoth posted:

They want "certain folks" to not send their kids to the school and this is one of the levers they can use to achieve that.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

The Cruelty Is The Point

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

I admit I skimmed, but I don't see where all this is supposed to add up to "gullible"? Sounds like he was in a toxic & messy relationship with a couple of people who blame him for a lot of things & lied to him about some things. What I don't see is any evidence that this was a planned scam of some kind.

The one woman had at the very least pulled the same “pretending she’s pregnant with a guy’s child and blackmailing him” part before more than once doing the same type of stuff she did with the clueless professor guy. I don’t know how planned the exact results of stealing the guys house was but she definitely planned out a way to have power over these dudes so she could manipulate them into doing what she wanted

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pvt.Scott posted:

The beatings will continue until society improves and provides free meals to all students!

This has been my stance all along. Since the state/government requires all children to attend school, they should be responsible for feeding them. Lunch at least.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MightyJoe36 posted:

This has been my stance all along. Since the state/government requires all children to attend school, they should be responsible for feeding them. Lunch at least.

My schools in the 90s/2000s let students get free lunches if the parents couldn’t afford it. I’ve got no idea how restrictive it was qualifying for that program but some of my friends got free lunch so it couldn’t have been too bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

Accepting money to cover all back fees is a tacit approval of the behavior that is being punished. You don’t want the school to look weak, do you? The beatings will continue until society improves and provides free meals to all students!

For real though that's the "logic" they use to justify it. That you'd be encouraging people not to pay if you all the sudden let someone swoop in and pay their bill for them. As if this was like flat screen t.v.s or something and not children's school lunches.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

The one woman had at the very least pulled the same “pretending she’s pregnant with a guy’s child and blackmailing him” part before more than once doing the same type of stuff she did with the clueless professor guy. I don’t know how planned the exact results of stealing the guys house was but she definitely planned out a way to have power over these dudes so she could manipulate them into doing what she wanted

lmao it wasn't hard.

I mean their plan probably would have been completely different if this dipshit weren't all the way the dumbest motherfucker who ever lived.

By the way, I am really impressed by how well that article makes it sound like he wasn't cheating on his wife, which he was, which is what happened. He claims he had a tacit understanding of "my wife says it's ok to sleep with other people if she absolutely never knows about it" because their relationship was "mostly platonic" (i.e. not platonic). Also, once he finally told her, he absolutely refused to do basic things she asked, like fact-check. I pity this man not in the slightest. I feel bad for Zack and the kids though.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

This article from the SPLC about a cult in Utah came up elsewhere. Choice quote:

"Brother Elden died of penile cancer in 1948, despite the best efforts of some family members to burn away the cancer using acid. Elden had predicted that he would be resurrected from the dead, so clan members kept his body on ice for three days, to no avail."

:stonklol:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a polygamist cult member dying of dick cancer is the best evidence of a higher power I've seen yet

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

lmao it wasn't hard.

I mean their plan probably would have been completely different if this dipshit weren't all the way the dumbest motherfucker who ever lived.

By the way, I am really impressed by how well that article makes it sound like he wasn't cheating on his wife, which he was, which is what happened. He claims he had a tacit understanding of "my wife says it's ok to sleep with other people if she absolutely never knows about it" because their relationship was "mostly platonic" (i.e. not platonic). Also, once he finally told her, he absolutely refused to do basic things she asked, like fact-check. I pity this man not in the slightest. I feel bad for Zack and the kids though.
I'm going to guess "mostly platonic" means "she doesn't have sex with me every time I want to."

Also, lying about being pregnant to get back at an rear end in a top hat you were dating still seems more plausible to me than the idea that the whole thing was purely a scam from the get-go.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hawowanlawow posted:

a polygamist cult member dying of dick cancer is the best evidence of a higher power I've seen yet

My favorite is Arnold Potter, who proclaimed himself Potter Christ and, after gathering his followers, flung himself off a cliff when he decided it was time to ascend to heaven. He did not, as expected, take flight and ascend in glory.

Since I first heard it, I've had this image in my mind of what his followers did in the seconds after he jumped. Going from..

"this is gonna be amazing"

to

"maybe Christ needed to get some air under his wings, like a bird jumping out of a nest"

to

*splat*

to

"I suppose we should go scrape up what's left"

...all within the span of a few seconds

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

lmao it wasn't hard.

Oh yeah the dude deserved everything that happened to him for sure and it’s be hilarious if he hadn’t hosed over his family in the process of being the world’s biggest mark

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Azathoth posted:

My favorite is Arnold Potter, who proclaimed himself Potter Christ and, after gathering his followers, flung himself off a cliff when he decided it was time to ascend to heaven.

“Father Yod” of the Source Family cult did the same thing, more or less. Though he did have a hang glider.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A Doctor’s Deception: For 30 years, Paul Shuen was one of the city’s most respected obstetricians. Then his nurses noticed something unusual about the way he delivered babies. A story of greed, betrayal and medical misconduct

quote:

Being born has a price tag, and the billable amount for a delivery varies by the day of the week. For a vaginal delivery on a weekday, a doctor can bill OHIP $498.70; on a weekend, when hospitals are generally short-handed, he or she can charge $748.05. So how do you get pregnant women to give birth on Saturdays and Sundays? Shuen had a plan. He’d found a way to secretly induce his patients, causing them to go into labour on weekends.

quote:

The patient was confused and scared, but agreed to book the surgery if that’s what he thought was best. In the meantime, he suggested she google Paget’s disease. When she went home, she looked it up and found that it might be treated simply with a topical cream. At her next appointment, she told Shuen she wanted to cancel the surgery, which was still a month away. He told her that the cream was not an appropriate treatment for her condition, and she’d have to pay a $100 cancellation fee if she backed out of the surgery. Feeling pressured, she decided to proceed. She had no idea what the surgery would entail, and post-op, she was shocked to discover that Shuen had cut off her left labium and her clitoris.

Bonus horror from RateMD:

quote:

My wife was one patient of Dr. Paul Shuen. She came from Shanghia, China. We paid him $80,000 canadian dollars, in cash. For him to help us make our child a Canadian citizen. We paid another $10,000 USD to the person who introduced us to Dr. Paul Shuen in China. My wife gave birth but What ever Dr. Paul Shuen did to her. She cannot have another brothe ir sister to my daughter. Dr. paul Shen was an evil man.

xtal has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Jul 25, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Holy gently caress, throw Paul Shuen into a volcano

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Report from Investigator: He didn't document anything so we don't know what he did

Journalist to Hospital: Are you investigating the thousands of patients may have hurt or killed?

Hospital: We reviewed all of the documentation he did and are confident nothing bad ever happened

:psyduck:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

I, too, would be shocked to discover my left nut and dick missing after surgery.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Adding this to the Horror Pile alongside forced sterilization and “the husband stitch”

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Busket Posket posted:

Adding this to the Horror Pile alongside forced sterilization and “the husband stitch”

You should probably add the birth mortality for black women in the US, which includes nearly letting Serena Williams die because the doctors didn't believe she was in pain until she started hemorrhaging iirc

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

I don't remember where I first saw this but I almost fell off my seat when I read it. It's downright comical.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what the gently caress

is that serious

:randstare:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Native American client gave me the mystical number of 69 and told me to go gently caress myself. Might be cancer??

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I do believe that pain and suffering is inevitable, so it got that right at least

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy poo poo. Forget burning books, let's cut to the chase and burn the author.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Being a Catholic Hispanics, I can tell you that is spot on. I can be both expressive and stoic with pain.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Being a Catholic Hispanics, I can tell you that is spot on. I can be both expressive and stoic with pain.

That's 4 hrs after eating too spicy food

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Koalas March posted:

You should probably add the birth mortality for black women in the US, which includes nearly letting Serena Williams die because the doctors didn't believe she was in pain until she started hemorrhaging iirc

Good call, good call. Especially here in Louisiana where maternal mortality rates for Black women are twice the national average.

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/920755145201324032?s=21

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Max Coveri posted:

I don't remember where I first saw this but I almost fell off my seat when I read it. It's downright comical.

it really isn't comical, no

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was comically over-the-top and fake until a minute ago. Ah.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

quote:

They believe suffering and pain are inevitable.

:same:

Content: In 2006 when I was at a small, very liberal college, I had to take a semester of a “cross-cultural communications” class.

The amount of casual stereotyping and racism from the materials, instructor, and students in that class was shocking. Of course, this is also the same school that would go on to serve, for the first and only day that year, fried chicken and collard greens on MLK Jr. Day while inviting black leaders from the area to speak.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Moonlight posted:

Of course, this is also the same school that would go on to serve, for the first and only day that year, fried chicken and collard greens on MLK Jr. Day while inviting black leaders from the area to speak.

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fried chicken and collards loving rule and it sucks they have a stigma associated with them.