Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Are Japanese cruises still the line to go for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Are Japanese cruises still the line to go for?

I would say Japanese Cruisers, US DDs, and German BBs are the easiest/best lines to start with.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Can't... get... Arsonist... achievement...

Poetically, that Scharnhorst was also firing HE the whole match, he got one on a Bismarck... and he wasn't even trying :shepicide:

Arsonist should be changed so that you don't have to kill the drat ship to get it, people just jack your kills when you've done all the fire damage to them.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

OSad posted:

Can't... get... Arsonist... achievement...

Poetically, that Scharnhorst was also firing HE the whole match, he got one on a Bismarck... and he wasn't even trying :shepicide:

Arsonist should be changed so that you don't have to kill the drat ship to get it, people just jack your kills when you've done all the fire damage to them.

Get Arsonist in a CA. IJN CA. Or Russian, but IJN has better fire chance. I recommend the Kuma.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lord Koth posted:

I don't get this. There was apparently a decent amount of annoyance in even the Russian base that heavily imaginary Russian lines were being released before actually powerful naval nations like England, France or Italy, and now they're releasing even MORE Russian ships before most of the actual relevant naval power lines are here? Who the gently caress makes these dumbass decisions?

Let alone I'm really loving tired of certain nations getting '50s era ships, with generally extremely powerful AA comparatively, when most nations are stuck with '40s era ones.

As for skills, we'll just have to wait and see. Even if most/all the names were real, the new ones may very well have been changed from the initial leak.

Not only are you correct, but the Russians have a destroyer line already. One that wasn't nerfed and thus need changes and additions to not totally blow.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
https://translate.google.com/transl...1%258E/#topmost

Looks like the Graf Spee will be obtainable by campaign. Considering the idiocy of the WGEU team I fear the worst tasks....

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
congratulations zombielenin on denying flamu his 7th kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYPtVPkiRo&t=1007s

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hammerstein posted:

https://translate.google.com/transl...1%258E/#topmost

Looks like the Graf Spee will be obtainable by campaign. Considering the idiocy of the WGEU team I fear the worst tasks....

Great idea. Put another ship people have been begging for forever behind a campaign wall. Thanks, Wargaming.

I guess if I grind for a month its free. There is that.

TheFluff posted:

congratulations zombielenin on denying flamu his 7th kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYPtVPkiRo&t=1007s

I'm good at running.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 18, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I am so sad. The entire reason I started playing this game 2 months ago was because I randomly came across a youtube video with someone going Hulk with a Bismarck and I desperately wanted to be in one and do the same thing. And now that I have grinded all the way there being reasonably competent (and mostly enjoyed the experience), I find I am godawful with the Bismarck......which makes no sense to me. I am pretty poo poo and just solo Q whenever I have time but I still manage to keep "good" or "great" ratings with almost every ship I play. I am deep in the orange with the Bismarck though. :cry:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MikeC posted:

I am so sad. The entire reason I started playing this game 2 months ago was because I randomly came across a youtube video with someone going Hulk with a Bismarck and I desperately wanted to be in one and do the same thing. And now that I have grinded all the way there being reasonably competent (and mostly enjoyed the experience), I find I am godawful with the Bismarck......which makes no sense to me. I am pretty poo poo and just solo Q whenever I have time but I still manage to keep "good" or "great" ratings with almost every ship I play. I am deep in the orange with the Bismarck though. :cry:

It might be bad luck/matchmaking. Bismarck has a steep power dropoff if it's in T10 IMHO.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

MikeC posted:

It takes some getting used to. Here is the thing, you have the temptation to close and brawl as soon as possible and sometimes you have to resist. You need to make sure you've got support, and there are no lingering DDs to feed walls of skill into your hull before you brawl. Most of the time you need to keep the range around 12k until you know it's safe.

wdarkk posted:

It might be bad luck/matchmaking. Bismarck has a steep power dropoff if it's in T10 IMHO.

This is also true.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

wdarkk posted:

I'll echo this too, I always felt way more capable of contributing consistently in T10 games with the NC. I still have my Bis and intend to keep it but with the amount of time I spent being uptiered to T10 with it I just never fell in love with it as much as other people.

e: that being said, it was a beast as top tier and even at T9 I didn't feel markedly underpowered, my best game in it was a 171k damage performance in a T9. Had the aid of a cyclone and a random Scharn that knew what he was doing and agreed to tag team with me so it was a lot easier to get up in people's faces and punch them.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 18, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Destroyers seem to scale the best when uptiered. Everyone else suffers to varying degrees. Especially Mogami.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I changed my mind and switched from gun reload to the torpedo reload mod on the Fletcher. For some dumbass reason I decided to keep my 15 point captain in the Benson and grabbed a 10-point one from some other ship for the Fletcher so I don't even have CE on it yet but it's still so loving good I mean holy poo poo I keep getting 100k damage in it even in lovely games. These loving torpedoes are magical murder machines, they're almost undodgeable if you didn't know they were coming and you still outgun everything else except Gearings, Udalois and Khabarovskes. Ship owns.

e: you know what doesn't own though? the loving gneisenau, that's what. the guns effectively do nothing at all.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 18, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Thundercakes posted:

e: that being said, it was a beast as top tier and even at T9 I didn't feel markedly underpowered, my best game in it was a 171k damage performance in a T9. Had the aid of a cyclone and a random Scharn that knew what he was doing and agreed to tag team with me so it was a lot easier to get up in people's faces and punch them.

I totally get it, I was just venting a bit after a 40k damage Bismarck game. I am definitely under performing in the Bismarck though. Like every ship I played I am above 1k WTR. Bismarck is at an abysmal 961.

On the bright side every time I end a game early on the Bismarck, I get to play a US DD and feel better about myself by sending bad players to the bottom in droves. It seems like DDs lets your farm bad players at an exponentially high rate compared to other ship types. Noobs showing you broadsides and drive in straight lines when you are in a BB might live due to bad dispersion. Noobs who drive in straight lines never live from a torpedo spread. Also nothing beats the thrill of charging down a BB when you are at a quarter health in your Destroyer. Its funny. My Clemson and Nicoles print the money I need to play my Bismarck.

Too bad they aren't as sexy.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

TheFluff posted:

e: you know what doesn't own though? the loving gneisenau, that's what. the guns effectively do nothing at all.

Yeah, the Gneisenau is pretty friggn awful but it gets passable when you get used to it. The trick for me was to make sure I was staying right around 12-15km of the enemy. You'll be tempted to close in and use your torpedos, but don't; you're really hard to citadel but inside 6km you're going to take big hits regardles. The guns are actually pretty good in that 12-15km range, it's just with only 6 barrels RNG can really screw you up. Stick with it though, the Bismarck is definitely worth it!

What's weird though is my Gneis w/r is way better than my Bis, even though I HATED the Gneis. 51.72% for Gneisenau, 38.89% for the Bismarck :eek:. What's especially bad is my 38.89% Bis has an avg damage of 92,262/game. Just can't carry hard enough I guess :shrug:

MikeC posted:

I totally get it, I was just venting a bit after a 40k damage Bismarck game. I am definitely under performing in the Bismarck though. Like every ship I played I am above 1k WTR. Bismarck is at an abysmal 961.

On the bright side every time I end a game early on the Bismarck, I get to play a US DD and feel better about myself by sending bad players to the bottom in droves. It seems like DDs lets your farm bad players at an exponentially high rate compared to other ship types. Noobs showing you broadsides and drive in straight lines when you are in a BB might live due to bad dispersion. Noobs who drive in straight lines never live from a torpedo spread. Also nothing beats the thrill of charging down a BB when you are at a quarter health in your Destroyer. Its funny. My Clemson and Nicoles print the money I need to play my Bismarck.

Too bad they aren't as sexy.

How is your Bismarck set up? If you go full secondaries build you really need to go full bore into it with all the applicable mods/flags and a 15 pt Captain. If you do though it's friggn AMAZING. Play it like a Bayern, sneak up to within ~12km of a target, pop out, blast it with your guns while closing in to light it the gently caress up with your secondaries. It's tempting to pivot to keep up a large volume of secondary fire, but fight the urge and stay angled! Also, keep that fighter and sonar going any time you even THINK there might be a destroyer nearby, the Bismarck doesn't turn like the Gneis at all :shrug:

On a side note, has anybody noticed fires that don't have a timer ticking down on them? I've only seen it with my Bismarck (since I'm usually constantly on fire in it). I'll pop repair, then when that's up I'll get lit up again, but the fire symbol will be subdued and there wont be a timer ticking down on it, just my rear end getting killed by it. WTF is up with that?

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 18, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I love the Gneisenau. Its turret configuration encourages randoms to just fully broadside against every target and its mass of superstructure is perfect for setting fires. It is probably my most common BB kill.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Heartcatch posted:

I love the Gneisenau. Its turret configuration encourages randoms to just fully broadside against every target and its mass of superstructure is perfect for setting fires. It is probably my most common BB kill.

I'd say the opposite, because 2/3 of my fire power is up front vs half for the Bayern I'm much less tempted to show abit of broadside to gain extra firepower. I'm averaging 57k damage but 44% wr :negative:

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 18, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JacksLibido posted:

Yeah, the Gneisenau is pretty friggn awful but it gets passable when you get used to it. The trick for me was to make sure I was staying right around 12-15km of the enemy.

I wonder how it will go once we get the British tree with Nelson at 7, 9x 16" guns in the good pyramid config, rather than the gammy one the IJN uses.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JacksLibido posted:

On a side note, has anybody noticed fires that don't have a timer ticking down on them? I've only seen it with my Bismarck (since I'm usually constantly on fire in it). I'll pop repair, then when that's up I'll get lit up again, but the fire symbol will be subdued and there wont be a timer ticking down on it, just my rear end getting killed by it. WTF is up with that?

I've been noticing this on my Yamato. I think it's a result of having multiple fires going and just letting them burn themselves out one at a time instead of repairing them all at once. At least that's the pattern I'm noticing.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'd say the opposite, because 2/3 of my fire power is up front vs half for the Bayern I'm much less tempted to show abit of broadside to gain extra firepower.

It makes sense to do this, given vulnerabilities from broadsiding. You'd normally think that, but..

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I wonder how it will go once we get the British tree with Nelson at 7, 9x 16" guns in the good pyramid config, rather than the gammy one the IJN uses.

you mean like the 4x2 dunkerque? It'll be similar in play, but tiered to 9 thanks to mm.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Hazdoc posted:

Not so much. Kantai Collection has a problem with having girls that would almost assuredly be considered underage in western countries depicted in questionable outfits. I'm sure I don't need to paint a picture here. Lolicon stuff can get the Kantai devs in a lot of trouble if they tried to go overseas with it, so to shield themselves from any liability they soft block anyone outside the country from playing, though the workaround is extraordinarily easy and they won't ban you for playing from outside Japan. This necessarily precludes them from doing a collab with anyone who has a western market, like Wargaming. They'd have to clean up their stuff if they ever planned to, but I doubt they're in any hurry to expand outside of the japanese market.

kancolle has school uniforms and scattered panty shots. even if kadokawa never expands the brand westward, it's not going to be for fear of backlash regarding material you can find by heading to your local bookstore and hitting up the manga aisle. lol. but maybe it is better if they never have to answer to political brokebrains who think that only countries on the winning side of WWII are allowed to romanticize history and remember their fallen soldiers

Warbadger posted:

Well, I mean it is an anime fetishizing the WWII Imperial Japanese Navy (also little girls) and clearly regards the sinking of the ships as tragic without any sort of reflection on the "well maybe there was a reason the bad guys we portray as literal inhuman monsters sunk them".

it isn't, and the enemies in kancolle are not americans. there is no political slant to the game. get this hot take: the world does not revolve around the U.S.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

you mean like the 4x2 dunkerque? It'll be similar in play, but tiered to 9 thanks to mm.

Yeah it'll be more like the Dunkerque than the Izumo in terms of gun wrangling. On the other hand, it gets 16" guns compared to 13", and the belt is a whole lot thicker - Nelson and Gneisenau can drive around at similar angles, but Gneis is throwing 4x 15" shells to Nelson's 9x 16" shells.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Warbadger, after watching Grave of the Fireflies: maybe in death these little kids can take the time to reflect on a real tragedy, like the Nanking massacre.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Space flower take a good hard look at what you wrote trivialising the availability of school girl panties before you attack anyone else for anything at all.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Anyone have an EU refer a friend code/link/referral?

vvThanks!

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 18, 2016

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016

Victor Surge posted:

Anyone have an EU refer a friend code/link/referral?

Yup: http://playtogether.worldofwarships.eu/invite/ODX4Wb9.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Super container! 8 port slots. Another super useful useless super container.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ZombieLenin posted:

Super container! 8 port slots. Another super useful useless super container.

Its better than another 5 flags of various flavors. Supercontainers aren't "wasted" if you get one that isn't optimal, its just random chance. You'll still have the same chance of getting another one later.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
For the Bayern, is the rudder shift mod or the damage control mod the better choice?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Going to get the FDG today. What build should I use for it? Secondaries? Concealment?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Going to get the FDG today. What build should I use for it? Secondaries? Concealment?

Concealment, manual secondaries are cool and all but I find not being the first target shot gives me more freedom to get to midrange where your wonky dispersion doesn't matter, to be honest I don't even take secondary mods because without manual secondaries they can't hit poo poo at long range anyway and I did so much more damage with my main guns that buffing them seems like the best course.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Blindeye posted:

For the Bayern, is the rudder shift mod or the damage control mod the better choice?

I never tried the rudder shift on it but I think either is a decent choice. I went DC2, figured I could use the extra help with how easy it seemed for people to light me on fire. The Bayern essentially has the same or better speed and maneuverability compared to its peers at T6 and T7, so I thought it was acceptable as-is. On the Bis I went rudder shift, and rudder shift on the Bayern would definitely help you if you are overextended and need to extract. Your armor is so good for the tier that you can make the turns in traffic that would normally get you deleted and come out relatively intact. Even though the DC2 helps both with fire and flooding, I can't remember the last time I was flooding and it didn't kill me if my damage control party wasn't ready to use or on a short cool-down, so you have to decide if you feel like the reduced time burning is worth losing ~3 seconds of rudder shift time.

wdarkk posted:

I did guns + secondaries with the skills, and mods I focused on guns as much as I could (and run the 420s). With the Bis and FDG both I initially built completely toward the lolrange secondaries, but I found I was being way too aggressive and over-reliant with it and realistically the secondaries are just defensive or used to start fires/shore up your damage in a brawl, so given the choice I buffed guns first and then secondaries. I could see the case for concealment, but I don't know right off-hand what you can get it down to. You're pretty much spotted from the beginning of the match with the normal secondary build, and people are constantly trying (and succeeding) in lighting you on fire, so it would definitely help there.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 18, 2016

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Space Flower posted:

Warbadger, after watching Grave of the Fireflies: maybe in death these little kids can take the time to reflect on a real tragedy, like the Nanking massacre.

Given that it was literally the Imperial Japanese Navy and Army who ran the Imperial Japanese government (very poorly), joined the Axis, and then proceeded to start and lose a series of wars with everyone in the region I'm not sure what point you're trying to make w/r/t the defeat of IJN.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

Its better than another 5 flags of various flavors. Supercontainers aren't "wasted" if you get one that isn't optimal, its just random chance. You'll still have the same chance of getting another one later.

No, I know. But I really want one of these 30mill credit super containers or 100k free XP ones I keep reading about.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826972003

3 day premium, x30 credit flags for $ 0.99
one activation per account

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Flagellum posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826972003

3 day premium, x30 credit flags for $ 0.99
one activation per account

Oh wow, free shipping available too.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Already removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Blindeye posted:

I take rudder shift on everything because I watch too many atsf videos.