Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

KR has the same problem that ahistorical mode in the base game increasingly does, the CYOA poo poo for Every. Single. Nation. is fun for the player but then you realize you did your adventure, one a pissy war or two, and now you're in one of the 90% of games with no meaningful world war because one faction stomped. Now you either start over or randomly invade a big country, which flies against the CYOA poo poo because why is my democratic danube federation randomly starting hellwars?

that's actually by design, as KR is about more limited arena fights like the American Civil War, India bowl, etc etc as opposed to just a straight rehash of reality but with different politics.

the problem is, like in DH, a player can deal with their arena pretty handily...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I have a dangerous hankering to play Victoria 2, something I haven't done in years. Is there a current gold standard mod?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Farecoal posted:

I have a dangerous hankering to play Victoria 2, something I haven't done in years. Is there a current gold standard mod?

HPM.

Or you could use HFM if you really don't like the idea of anything happening differently than it did in history.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

trapped mouse posted:

HPM.

Or you could use HFM if you really don't like the idea of anything happening differently than it did in history.

Thanks. If anybody else goes looking for HPM, it's now updated on Github instead of ModDB

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
HPM is vanilla+ and quite good. PDM - Divide by Zero is a mod of PDM proper that fixes a lot of the broken poo poo if you want more overhauly and freeform.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I went back and played a couple Vicky 2 campaigns recently and honestly my ideal mod would just have an army template builder and an "expand all everywhere" button for factories and railroads. So much clicking.

Edit: on the topic of mods I tried the Victoria 2 Cold War Enhancement Mod. It's ok to mess with for an hour or two, but it commits the chief total overhaul sin of disabling most of the regular UI and having you mainly interact with it through custom events and decisions. The politics also seemed kind of goofy. Some pop types and reforms get swapped out (liberals, anarcho-libs, communists, and fascists get replaced by centrists, liberals, progressives, and "traditionalists"), but most of it seemed to be just surface level changes.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 12, 2021

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Randallteal posted:

I went back and played a couple Vicky 2 campaigns recently and honestly my ideal mod would just have an army template builder and an "expand all everywhere" button for factories and railroads. So much clicking.

Do you know about shift+click for factories/railroads? It won't expand everything everywhere but it will upgrade all the ones in the state that you click on.

And yeah, "click fatigue" (as Paradox likes to call it) is definitely one of the worst parts about going back and playing Vicky 2.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Good luck playing vanilla USA if you dont like clicking. Nothing like getting notices about elections and slavery updates every day.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
guys this is really important but i must tell you

a backwoods province has discovered the use of dynamite in mining

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The original plan for The New Order was to make it as a Vicky 2 mod and it sounds like that went as well as you might expect.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Is vicky 2 the shortest of the current games in ticks/grandcampaign?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Grevlek posted:

Is vicky 2 the shortest of the current games in ticks/grandcampaign?

I believe so, if I did the math right it's got ~36k ticks and hoi4 has ~100k

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Makes sense that it's the only paradox game I've consistently finished Grand Campaigns on then.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Yeah the game feels fast. I blinked and it's the 1860s in my portugal game.

Should vicky 3 go to an hourly model?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pushing back the dates so you can get the latin american revolutions would be cool and helpful. But modeling Napoleonic to WW1 combat seems like a nightmare

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah I think you could push the start date back to Waterloo without making things too weird. Making it start at the beginning of the Congress of Vienna is fun to think about, but would probably introduce too much in the way of immediate monumental divergences, plus I don't know how you'd handle Napoleon's Hundred Days in a satisfying way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've said it before and I'll say it again: break Vicky in two. A 1760s-1870ish revolution game sort of like CK except you play as a political movement not a dynasty, and then a diplomacy/boat game for 1870ish to 1920ish where you get to play out the world lurching from crisis to crisis until eventually everyone agrees to start machine gunning each other while drowning in mud

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grevlek posted:

Yeah the game feels fast. I blinked and it's the 1860s in my portugal game.

Should vicky 3 go to an hourly model?

Real time seconds model.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Isn't the revolutionary era already covered by late game EU4?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

If you say so

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

How often do people actually see it though? :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Poil posted:

How often do people actually see it though? :v:

Aachen->Westphalia->Germany->Rev. Germany while staying republic the entire time was easily the most fun game I've had in a while. Wish more games remained fun through revolutions but it really does feel like you have to purposefully gimp yourself to still have things to do by that point.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

VostokProgram posted:

It shouldnt be, but it is. EU 5 needs to have a tighter timeframe because just like modeling Napoleonic to WW1 combat seems like a nightmare, modeling 1450's warfare through Napoleonic is also a nightmare.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's easy, just merge vicky and eu4

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pakled posted:

Yeah I think you could push the start date back to Waterloo without making things too weird. Making it start at the beginning of the Congress of Vienna is fun to think about, but would probably introduce too much in the way of immediate monumental divergences, plus I don't know how you'd handle Napoleon's Hundred Days in a satisfying way.

Paradox has said they don't like starting campaigns at points where there's potential for wild divergence. You have to account for too many potential branches right off the bat in your event scripting, database inclusion, and mission design. Not to mention it's probably better to give players consistent starts that they can practice and get used to.

I feel like Vicky's short campaign is fine. It's actually kind of refreshing having a grand strategy experience where the prospect of finishing a campaign isn't so daunting. If they roll back the start date any, it probably wouldn't be any earlier than 1816. 120 years is a nice number. (I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what kinds of tumultuous events were happening elsewhere in the world at that time, though)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 13, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
IIRC the reason Vicky starts in 1836 instead of 1837 in the first place is that Johan is a yeehawboo and wanted the Texas independence war to be playable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was correct, the old Texas LP got me into the games

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

IIRC the reason Vicky starts in 1836 instead of 1837 in the first place is that Johan is a yeehawboo and wanted the Texas independence war to be playable.

I had a lot of fun with a Texas game and basically causing North America to be split between four powers by 1936. I thought about turning it into a Hoi game/mod but lost interest because I wanted to have too many things interact with each other.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The big problem with revolutions in Paradox games is that the player should be the first against the wall.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The Paradox Player is a mysterious spirit that infuses/possesses the government. It's like you're the Holy Ghost of a country

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
It's called the Geist.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Paradox has said they don't like starting campaigns at points where there's potential for wild divergence. You have to account for too many potential branches right off the bat in your event scripting, database inclusion, and mission design. Not to mention it's probably better to give players consistent starts that they can practice and get used to.
I feel like there are plenty of ways to make this work. For one, given that Victoria focuses far more on ideology, the fact that borders might diverge is not as big a deal as it is in for example EU - as long as ideological development doesn't go off the rails immediately.

Alternatively, you can make the start date less of a tabula rasa thing. Like, a 1776 start would have both France and Spain being lined up to join the war against Britain, while France would also be lined up internally to explode unless it got its act together. Given that the French Revolution happened so quickly after the end of the American War of Independence, having it be on track to happen with near certainty unless the player directly attempts to avert it seems absolutely fine.

That's THE important event for setting up the next century out of the way, everything else can basically be done with dynamic systems that aren't reliant upon the world being exactly like it was historically. Like, that's how the game should be set up anyway, there's no need to consider branches as long as the game systems are designed to work generally. The Hungarian struggle for a greater say in Austria-Hungary for example, might just as well be a generic feature which could be applied to an intact Sweden-Finland or Denmark-Norway, while Hungary was permanently severed from Austria during the revolutionary wars decades ago.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I don't know about extending the Vicky timeline. The first thirty years or so are already really basic. Before industrializing becomes profitable and most of the political parties appear you're already kind of playing a worse EUIV, just managing clergy and bullying smaller nations / waiting for infamy to tick down. It would be kind of cool to see more of the collapse of the Spanish empire, but then you've got 40-60 years of game time before the industrial revolution happens.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like there are plenty of ways to make this work. For one, given that Victoria focuses far more on ideology, the fact that borders might diverge is not as big a deal as it is in for example EU - as long as ideological development doesn't go off the rails immediately.

Alternatively, you can make the start date less of a tabula rasa thing. Like, a 1776 start would have both France and Spain being lined up to join the war against Britain, while France would also be lined up internally to explode unless it got its act together. Given that the French Revolution happened so quickly after the end of the American War of Independence, having it be on track to happen with near certainty unless the player directly attempts to avert it seems absolutely fine.

That's THE important event for setting up the next century out of the way, everything else can basically be done with dynamic systems that aren't reliant upon the world being exactly like it was historically. Like, that's how the game should be set up anyway, there's no need to consider branches as long as the game systems are designed to work generally. The Hungarian struggle for a greater say in Austria-Hungary for example, might just as well be a generic feature which could be applied to an intact Sweden-Finland or Denmark-Norway, while Hungary was permanently severed from Austria during the revolutionary wars decades ago.

Having to wait 60+ years before the era of capitalist industrialization really kicks off sounds pretty boring and goes against the point of the game, imo.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Here's my pitch: shorten the Vicky 3 timeline to 1860-1920, add Crusader Kings-style royal family management for all the big dynastic houses in Europe, and any time you accidentally build up too much infamy your relatives all send you condescending letters in the game interface and call you embarrassing nicknames like "Willy".

Edit: Oh my god, I can't believe I was listing off the annoying things in the Vicky 2 interface and forgot about the influence system. Probably because I try my best to ignore it outside of peeling other great powers off of uncivs so I can attack them and fulfilling decision requirements for forming Germany / building canals. Fighting the AI for control of a sphereling isn't even hard, but it does suck.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 13, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alikchi posted:

The Paradox Player is a mysterious spirit that infuses/possesses the government. It's like you're the Holy Ghost of a country

One thing that's always kind of bugged me about Vicky 2 is that because of this weird abstraction, there are a bunch of scenarios where you end up acting in ways that contradict what the basic mechanics incentivize you to do - like deliberately losing to rebels so you can swap to communism. I feel like if that's going to be a thing, then it would have made a lot more sense to work like the civil war mechanics where when the rebellion kicks off you have to pick a side, so if you want to go communist you have to take over as the communists and then actually try to win the war, rather than just going "oops I accidentally disbanded all my armies I'm such a klutz please don't take my capital"

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Paradox has said they don't like starting campaigns at points where there's potential for wild divergence.

Wait, they select for the most boring starts on purpose?

Of course they do. I should have known. :shepface:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Wait, they select for the most boring starts on purpose?

Of course they do. I should have known. :shepface:

This is the dumbest take.

Of course the game developer wants to put players in a stable position to start the game, in what world is that some strange behaviour?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You can always wait for people to mod the game for earlier starts. I've had a tonne of fun with EU3/4 mods that pull the start date to 1356, but it makes sense for Paradox to want their product that's on storefronts to provide a stable and finetuned vanilla experience. A lot easier to balance things around when you know that in most cases France and the Ottomans are going to grow into the primary mid/late-game bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Crossposting this from the curse thread:

Retweet to give a mapgame player an aneurysm. Or really anyone with a basic knowledge of geography.